• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: "Open air games will be the standard for Zelda"

Yukinari

:/ don't know what to think of that. Give me skyward sword hd and then I'll be able to decide which kind of zelda i like best.

After the director worked on mediocrity like PH and SS id rather he not.

SS is the antithesis to BoTW in every possible way and i never want it again.

PSFan

I think he said the same thing about motion controls when Skyward Sword came out. But it didn't happen.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just give me more/bigger dungeons next time and I'm fine with that.

This.

I'd prefer a linear critical path as well, like most big open world games, where you have tons of freedom to explore the world but still get a coherent and well told story as the critical story missions are still in order.

That's probably unlikely though as Zelda's never been strong on story and with BOTW and ALBW before it the series is trending toward being totally open with no set order for dungeons/missions.

I can live with it if it at least has traditional dungeons. Without those I may skip a mainline Zelda for the first time as I've had my fill of the current BOTW formula as it's just too open and aimless for me and I really missed the dungeons. I liked the game a lot, but I don't need another one as it's just too far from my current gaming tastes.

Crayolan

RIP to fans which prefer the Zelda formula of olde. I'm not surprised though.

Looking forward to see how they can improve on Breath of the Wild.

Revven

He also said after Skyward Sword, motion controls would be the new standard and he couldn't imagine abandoning them. They will always adapt to what they think people want most at the respective time.

Yeah but Skyward Sword didn't have nearly the same critical success nor was it as groundbreaking.

They aren't scrapping all the work for this game to go back to old 3D Zelda formula. This is the new Zelda going forward, this engine they made is not going to be for just one Zelda game.

Do i can see where BotW can be iterated on but man..... they put so much into this one that im not sure how tue next one would top it

Shrines/Beasts were one of the more boring parts of the game. Hyrule Castle, on the other hand, was the most exciting (especially with dat music).

More Hyrule Castle dungeons, please!

NolbertoS

I imagine 2D Zeldas in the scope of A Link Between Worlds might still happen.

I hope so at least :(

It'll happen. Since Nintendo merged console and portable I expect the odd 2-D Zelda. I hope its a physical release though as I still want 3DS calibrw games on the Switch.

I really liked Hyrule Castle, but it had no puzzles whatsoever. A mixture of the unique puzzles found in the DBs with the more elaborated Layout of Hyrule Castle would be ideal.

It had puzzles in essentially the same way a dungeon from Zelda 1 had puzzles. Breakable walls, levers to unlock shortcuts/stairways, goo blocking your approach from a certain direction, secret metal bookcases...

I think the whole puzzle aspect from OoT style dungeons has been very played out and they've rightfully gone back to those more organic types of puzzles. I just want to see future dungeons actually give us variety. I think the one weak area from BotW in general is just variety (in everything except Koroks).

maxcriden

Will they really abandon overhead Zelda?

I imagine 2D Zeldas in the scope of A Link Between Worlds might still happen.

I hope so at least :(

Nah. They have more than one Zelda team.

Pretty sure 2D Zeldas will still be a thing.

Yeah, I imagine we're getting a 2D game next. Aonuma hinted at the possibility here:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...n-the-switch-is-definitely-a-possibility.aspx.

Just make the world 1/10 the size with 8 dungeons again and we're good.

Lol,no. No, no, no. The experience to feel like being on an adventure comes from the size of the world . Its not interesting if you hit an important place every 30 meters.
I agree with more and more complex dungeons but keep the size of the world. It is an amazing feel to come across a stable after 100 hours of gameplay because it was hidding behind a wall you never need to climb to get to a place you wanted to go.

Futureman

Obviously. They weren't going to spend 5 or so years building this engine/world and not reuse some of it for the next handful of Zelda games.

Based off that topic yesterday some people are going to be disappointed in this news, BUT... I don't think this necessarily means the next Zelda won't have more traditional dungeons. Now that they have a base for the "open air" design, I think Nintendo can focus on meatier dungeons (possibly) in the next installment.

Either way I'm happy.

PSFan

I approve. I'd like to see some kind of spin-off series that was more directed than open world though.

Yes, I liked Skyward Sword.

Why can't the open world game be the spin-off series? They could call it "Hyrule Adventures"

My wishlist

1. Actual dungeons/temples
2. Better ending
3. Even more voice acting
4. No breakable weapons
5. Better inventory management
6. Achievements
7. Better quest rewards

DaBuddaDa

More variety is what people are asking for, and I think Nintendo is in a good position to deliver. They have the game engine, physics and core design done with BOTW. Now they can just expand, expand, expand.

jb1234

Eh. I'll deal. I just don't want to see another open world Hyrule unless they add a gimmick, like a light world/dark world or time travel. I feel like they can't top BotW's map (which was already too big as it is).

So, I'm kinda curious about the future of Link's clothing, in all honesty. I feel like the gear system, with all the different gear sets, has to return. But, do we think the green tunic will be back, front-and-center in the next promotional material for the next major game? Will the Champion Tunic be the new default going forward? Or will each Link have his own unique default outfit now?

deadlast

You guys just took an "I think" statement as confirmation of the future.

Granted, BotW is extremely popular and awesome. So, it's not far fetch to believe that this formula will be replicated.

oti

Banned
Why can't the open world game be the spin-off series? They could call it "Hyrule Adventures"

Open World feels like such a perfect fit for this series though.

I wish every Zelda could be completely different but that's just an unrealistic expectation to have I'm afraid.

Peltz

I'm cool with this as long as they don't play it safe and stay too close to BotW. I want them to continue taking risks with the franchise.

Samemind

I want to see fully realized versions of the BotW dungeons. Like it was so disappointing to realize that the vistas while inside one of them were just fakes. They had nailed the feeling of proper spacial scale so well, i felt like i could have dove in and out seamlessly. Imagine if you could have
sky-diving off of Vah Medoh
. There's the notion that they felt like they needed to have some control over how players approached them, but could have been an opportunity even further push the principle of finding your own solutions. Imagine if you just sailed from a high point to get on top of them for instance.

emb

Interesting. My thoughts are:

1. BotW style world, filled with unique landscapes and things to find would be absolutely amazing if ALSO filled with OoT/LttP style dungeons, some maybe even being optional.

and 2. Will we ever get a Zelda game in a reasonable time frame again? Creating a world with the quality of BotW's seems... difficult on a 2-3 year deadline. Though maybe now that they have an engine and a new formula they like, they can reuse some things to get a faster turn around.

Awesome news. After botw I'm down to see where they take this formula next. Please bring back the hook shot, only this time governed by physics that can be used to repel and swing on stuff. That would be amazing.

Davey Cakes

They could probably afford to shave off 1/4 of the world and replace 1/2 of the shrines with traditional Zelda dungeons.

BotW is a fantastic proof of concept. Now they can focus on other elements of the Zelda experience.

Hope we get smaller Zeldas between main entries too but only in the 2D model. Pretty clear 3D Zelda in the OoT-through-to-SS model has seen its last.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So, I'm kinda curious about the future of Link's clothing, in all honesty. I feel like the gear system, with all the different gear sets, has to return. But, do we think the green tunic will be back, front-and-center in the next promotional material for the next major game? Will the Champion Tunic be the new default going forward? Or will each Link have his own unique default outfit now?

I hope not. Hylian set is easily my favorite look now (with the pants dyed to match the hood). If they want to adapt or redesign the central outfit to match whatever theme they're going for, I'm all for it though. But I love everything about the BOTW outfits.

Shang

This is good news. I've nearly finished BoTW and it's the most I've ever loved a Zelda game. Honestly, scaling down some of the collectibles and putting more money into casting voice actors would make the sequel basically exactly what I want.

The cool thing is there may be a quick turn around on this game because the Chemistry engine is already done. Hope the next game is like a direct sequel a la Majora's Mask.

Top Bottom