• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U will challenge series conventions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What about a Demon's Souls-ized Zelda?
I would love to see the atmosphere and framework of Demon's Souls in Zelda (with a bit more Zelda flavor in there, of course), but not with the high difficulty level. That simply isn't well suited to a Nintendo series. They would seriously limit their audience and turn away some fans of the series.

No, Ocarina was a remake of AlttP in 3D.
Can't agree with that at all. AlttP featured a *MUCH* more interesting and vast overworld with a lot more to see while OoT is empty and sparse outside of dungeons. The stuff you do between dungeons in Alttp is much more entertaining, I think.

monome

I would love to see the atmosphere and framework of Demon's Souls in Zelda (with a bit more Zelda flavor in there, of course), but not with the high difficulty level. That simply isn't well suited to a Nintendo series. They would seriously limit their audience and turn away some fans of the series.

Can't agree with that at all. AlttP featured a *MUCH* more interesting and vast overworld with a lot more to see while OoT is empty and sparse outside of dungeons. The stuff you do between dungeons in Alttp is much more entertaining, I think.

I agree.

the move from 2D to 3D took too much technical challenge and not enough time was spend to make the game as magical a ALttP.

Nintendo is at a cross.

HD pure Nintendo Zelda is gonna take forever.
Uncharted Zelda will be 8hrs long.
Monster Hunter Zelda will only sell in Japan.

I'm glad I'm not making the call because games like Demon Souls and Monster Hunter have redefined japan games and Uncharted and Assassin's Creed the western ones as far as their respective genres can be compared.

this time it will be an ACTUAL collection of unrelated mini-games, minus any perfunctory overworld exploration or dumbed-down dungeons connecting them

Orayn

Exactly what I want as well. Make the atmosphere a little more somber and mysterious, and have the general structure of the world similar to Dark Souls with more open areas

dark10x

It's funny that I thought the opposite :b
Heh, interesting. For me, the MIDI music detracted so heavily that I would often shut off the game and play something else.

It's not even the fact that it's synth that bothers me, rather, the compositions themselves are incredibly boring. The music in Zelda 3, for instance, uses lower quality samples than the synth in Skyward Sword but the music is infinitely more engaging.

I hate this kind of stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM2jkPiqT8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGfQOHF9UrY&feature=related

Exactly what I want as well. Make the atmosphere a little more somber and mysterious, and have the general structure of the world similar to Dark Souls with more open areas
Yes, mysterious. That's what I'm wanting. It simply doesn't feel like you're exploring an abandoned world in Skyward Sword. They talk all about the surface world as a place of mystery, but within 5 minutes of landing there you're performing fetch quests for useless NPCs that look like something you'd dangle on a cellphone. When you combine that with dull incidental music it just loses a lot of its appeal. I feel as if Nintendo knows absolutely nothing about building tension and atmosphere. Not a damn thing.

Retro Studios knocked it out of the park with Metroid Prime, though, so I'm kind of disappointed it didn't rub off on EAD.

It seems to me that the reason they're not nailing a mysterious Dark Souls-esque atmosphere is because they're not trying for a mysterious, Dark Souls-esque atmosphere.

Kazerei

Banned
Confirmed!
- Experience points are back in a big way.
- MMO required log in after collecting the 3 pendants.
- $9.99 sub fee.
- Faerie caves are now DLC.
- Master Sword is a pre order bonus.
- Online multiplayer sword battles.
- 3 part trilogy.
- Online speed run leader boards.

Did I miss anything?

Epona horse armor DLC

dark10x

lol I guess this series isn't for you, those themes are damn catchy and serve as a breather from the more epic and ambient tracks. The sky theme doesn't sound like Zelda music at all for me. Keep that shit somewhere else.

Wait, what? I absolutely adore many of the 2D Zelda games (especially the SNES and Gameboy titles both of which feature incredible soundtracks) and I've enjoyed the 3D games as well. However, I feel as if they are evolving all of the wrong things. There is simply too much baggage from Ocarina left in all of the games and it's time to move on.

I don't need all of the music to be "epic", but those tunes are just not interesting pieces of music at all. There are plenty of games that have managed to do much better with a variety of themes.

It's not even the fact that it's synth that bothers me, rather, the compositions themselves are incredibly boring. The music in Zelda 3, for instance, uses lower quality samples than the synth in Skyward Sword but the music is infinitely more engaging.

Oh, so I guess you prefer the style of music from a general orchestra. That's cool, but I feel like too many games use it now. As a result, I'm very happy SS wasn't just orchestra music.

Live instruments are great, though. For instance, Galaxy 2 had non-orchestra pieces with live instruments. I hope more games, including the next Zelda, do more things like that.

Orayn

Nintendo is too conservative to really change the series in any meaningful way.
Super Mario 64 -> Super Mario Sunshine -> Super Mario Galaxy -> Super Mario Galaxy 2 -> Super Mario 3D Land

Mario makes Nintendo more money than Zelda, and and the changes between these installments were anything but conservative. Sure, all the same basic elements like running, jumping, and collecting stars are there, but the games play dramatically different from one another.

dark10x

Oh, so I guess you prefer the style of music from a general orchestra. That's cool, but I feel like too many games use it now. As a result, I'm very happy SS wasn't just orchestra music.

Live instruments are great, though. For instance, Galaxy 2 had non-orchestra pieces with live instruments. I hope more games, including the next Zelda, do more things like that.
No no no, not at all. I love synth just as much. I don't need an orchestra in my games.

The issue is simply that the songs themselves, no matter how they are presented, are BORING. Just flat out dull compositions.

Things like this aren't orchestral and would sound great during the calm moments of a Zelda game, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5MLMh_x8pc

That isn't a remarkable song by any means and is kind of filler music on that particular soundtrack, but it sounds so much more appealing to me than any of the town music in the recent 3D Zeldas.

Zelda music is just as boring as non-Legendia "Tales of" music at this point.

Aru

Don't get me wrong. AlttP is still the best Zelda game.

MechaX

It seems to me that the reason they're not nailing a mysterious Dark Souls-esque atmosphere is because they're not trying for a mysterious, Dark Souls-esque atmosphere.

Zelda is supposed to stop being Zelda and is supposed to start being Demon's/Dark Souls. Didn't you get the memo?

VerTiGo

Banned
I seriously would not mind a direct Skyward Sword sequel. Like in the same way where SMG2 is compared to the original. A launch window Wii U game using the same art style but with better HD assets would be great to have early on. Don't think that's likely though...

No no no, not at all. I love synth just as much. I don't need an orchestra in my games.

The issue is simply that the songs themselves, no matter how they are presented, are BORING. Just flat out dull compositions.

Things like this aren't orchestral and would sound great during the calm moments of a Zelda game, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5MLMh_x8pc

That isn't a remarkable song by any means and is kind of filler music on that particular soundtrack, but it sounds so much more appealing to me than any of the town music in the recent 3D Zeldas.

Zelda music is just as boring as non-Legendia "Tales of" music at this point.

I agree SO HARD! (as long as the outset island and windfall themes aren't included in your definition). If only Koji Kondo would get fully involved on a soundtrack again... it's so sad to me. I don't know why he doesn't... maybe he feels he lost the flame or doesn't feel like competing with the new kids, or simply it's just Nintendo's philosophy to train the up and coming composers and have Kondo assist them as a guiding counselor of some sort, but to me it's really sad that this guy is still around with undoubtedly so much more potential musical masterpieces left in him and it seems to be all for nothing.

So Miyamoto wants to helm Zelda Wii? Well then, get Kondo up there with you doing at least 80% of the music with the Mahito Yokotas of the world doing the rest.

wrowa

I want them to do a Zelda-style game that isn't Zelda / called Zelda. I guess.

It would give them room to do whatevery they want, to change the setting to something completely new, they wouldn't have to pay attention to the demands of all of the five million different fan-groups and at the same time the franchise could rest a little for its own good.

Since they won't do that, I want them to -- I'm afraid of saying that! -- put more work into the story. I think many of Skyward's problems are related to the fact that the story doesn't give you enough incentives and reasons to do a particular thing, and thus are making the task at hand feeling dull at times.

dark10x

I want them to do a Zelda-style game that isn't Zelda / called Zelda. I guess.

It would give them room to do whatevery they want, to change the setting to something completely new, they wouldn't have to pay attention to the demands of all of the five million different fan-groups and at the same time the franchise could rest a little for its own good.

Since they won't do that, I want them to -- I'm afraid of saying that! -- put more work into the story. I think many of Skyward's problems are related to the fact that the story doesn't give you enough incentives and reasons to do a particular thing, and thus are making the task at hand feeling dull at times.

Absolutely. I've been asking for this for years.

VerTiGo

Banned
Even from platform to platform Zelda's improvements are modest. Skyward Sword has made the biggest jump in gameplay since OoT and I welcome all of it. Even the artstyle is going more towards that storybook look but the limits now are mostly hardware related. That's why I would suspect that the Wii U Zelda won't be much different than Skyward Sword. Level design will probably be better and Link will probably be able to run, jump, and climb more prince of persia like than ever. It might even still be 100% motion controlled. With criticisms in mind you can see how much better a 2nd Zelda game from this new leadership will be like.

Wouldn't a 2D Zelda game or a Four Swords Adventure fit the whole idea of the Wii U better? Not to forget, New Super Mario Bros. was huge n all. Then Donkey Kong... although, they did try with Metroid too with Other M. I rather enjoyed its whole concept and throwback to classic style but yeah it could have been better.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh it has voice acting? what does Zelda sound like.

I think what he meant is that you clearly didnt play Skyward Sword if you say you want traditional control.

And no, there is no voice acting. The only thing close would be Zelda singing gibberish near the beginning.

I think what he meant is that you clearly didnt play Skyward Sword if you say you want traditional control.

And no, there is no voice acting. The only thing close would be Zelda singing gibberish near the beginning.
Yeah I know it doesn't have voice acting, and I don't consider motion controls traditional, I don't think I have to worry about it anyway, it might be an option in WiiU Zelda but I'm sure you'll be able to play it with the gamepad, with map and items in the middle screen.

mantidor

I agree.

the move from 2D to 3D took too much technical challenge and not enough time was spend to make the game as magical a ALttP.

Nintendo is at a cross.

HD pure Nintendo Zelda is gonna take forever.
Uncharted Zelda will be 8hrs long.
Monster Hunter Zelda will only sell in Japan.

I'm glad I'm not making the call because games like Demon Souls and Monster Hunter have redefined japan games and Uncharted and Assassin's Creed the western ones as far as their respective genres can be compared.

Ugh, why Zelda has to be compared with any of those games, or any game at all? it would be terrible if they let stuff like that influence them.

What was Zelda about? it was about a kid getting lost in the woods and finding a secret cave with treasures, it was about exploring, as long as it sticks to that, the series will be fine

Unfortunately the latest installments (I haven't played SS so I 'don't know about that one) have been a bit lackluster in that regard, they are more about gimmicks and action, which is fun but lacks those jaw dropping moments like seeing hyrule field for the first time in OoT, seeing that huge mountain in the distance and then you actually get to go there.

StevieP

Banned
Yeah I know it doesn't have voice acting, and I don't consider motion controls traditional, I don't think I have to worry about it anyway, it might be an option in WiiU Zelda but I'm sure you'll be able to play it with the gamepad, with map and items in the middle screen.

Aside from even quicker inventory management, that would be a downgrade.

wrowa

So I'm guessing you didn't play Skyward Sword

I love Skyward Sword's motion controls, but many, many people dislike them, so a phrase like "you didn't play Skyward Sword" doesn't work in your favor. There are legitimate reasons why people dislike the motion controls, even though they work fine for you (and for me too).

Regarding voice acting: I don't think that there are any excuses not to use voice acting anymore. I don't think any Zelda game made heavier use of pre-recorded voice samples than Skyward Sword. They gave you a clear sample of the voice of every important character -- there was no room for imagination.

VerTiGo

Banned
Ugh, why Zelda has to be compared with any of those games, or any game at all? it would be terrible if they let stuff like that influence them.

What was Zelda about? it was about a kid getting lost in the woods and finding a secret cave with treasures, it was about exploring, as long as it sticks to that, the series will be fine

Unfortunately the latest installments (I haven't played SS so I 'don't know about that one) have been a bit lackluster in that regard, they are more about gimmicks and action, which is fun but lacks those jaw dropping moments like seeing hyrule field for the first time in OoT, seeing that huge mountain in the distance and then you actually get to go there.

Criticizing the series about what it is now without having played the latest installment is a bit backwards... Skyward Sword's provinces are all complicated set pieces that are memorable through presentation and their influence on gameplay (platforming and exploration).

Everyone wants a bigger and bloated Zelda. The series is of course trying to become more epic with every major installment but Nintendo goes back to the drawing board on sometimes minor concepts and we don't always get our desired game. That's what happens when you have so many criticisms.

Zelda does not need to change and become like other "similar" games. So many others have failed at trying to be like Zelda. It has its own identity and its own brand name recognition and demographic.

Anyway, having played Skyward Sword, I am left wanting something more and something different too. That's a good thing. Whatever is coming I hope it's sooner than later.

How about Aonuma moves off of Zelda and onto another project? I haven't played SS yet, but based on experiences with the past few titles I think the series would do well to have some new blood supervising.

VerTiGo

Banned
I love Skyward Sword's motion controls, but many, many people dislike them, so a phrase like "you didn't play Skyward Sword" doesn't work in your favor. There are legitimate reasons why people dislike the motion controls, even though they work fine for you (and for me too).

Regarding voice acting: I don't think that there are any excuses not to use voice acting anymore. I don't think any Zelda game made heavier use of pre-recorded voice samples than Skyward Sword. They gave you a clear sample of the voice of every important character -- there was no room for imagination.

Motion controls may not be going anywhere for Zelda. But you may see Zelda do both motion and Upad. And then you have Nintendo brainstorming about what 3DS Zelda will be like and how will that be different than Upad. It's a bit of a clusterfuck for Nintendo.

VerTiGo

Banned
How about Aonuma moves off of Zelda and onto another project? I haven't played SS yet, but based on experiences with the past few titles I think the series would do well to have some new blood supervising.

Aonuma did not direct this game and it feels like it. Skwyard Sword is a high mark in recent Zelda history because of this.

Theonik

Actually, there is also this. If it counts that is. (spoilers for anyone who cares blah blah, not story related if you jump at the time which is linked)

I don't want voice acting in Zelda, because its bound to suck. Even "well done" voice acting, like in Skyrim, really isn't that great. I usually just end up setting subtitles on and skipping through people's speeches anyways.
Aonuma did not direct this game and it feels like it. Skwyard Sword is a high mark in recent Zelda history because of this.
Interesting! I have (purposely) not been following the development of this game. Sounds like they did change things up.

VerTiGo

Banned

Nintendo's improvement in using voice for characters is about as good as the cinematics. It gets slightly better with each game. It seems like there is a concern about putting a heavier hand into the storytelling process in some elements so that players can interpret characters in a more intimate unique way. I appreciate it and it makes me think that it won't happen any time soon. What I have expected over the years and what we got were subtle character details and expressions. If that continues to bring more characters like that shop owner who stalks you around as you are browsing in anxiousness, and that face he makes when you don't buy anything.... ahaha. Good times. More of that for sure.

I enjoyed the hundreds of lines of dialogue to bring HK47 in to life in KOTOR but Zelda prefers to bring characters to life with other expressions of character and it works in doing so. I don't expect it to change from taking that approach nor would I want it to really.

denomes

Super Mario 64 -> Super Mario Sunshine -> Super Mario Galaxy -> Super Mario Galaxy 2 -> Super Mario 3D Land

Mario makes Nintendo more money than Zelda, and and the changes between these installments were anything but conservative. Sure, all the same basic elements like running, jumping, and collecting stars are there, but the games play dramatically different from one another.

I would consider all those games fundamentally similar and absolutely derivative of each other. Just my opinion though, I love those games (haven't played 3D Land yet) and I can see where you're coming from.

I'm not suggesting that Zelda requires a drastic change either. In fact, I want to see them strip away elements from the series and take a more minimalist approach that focuses on atmosphere and setting. Not a gameplay reinvention as much as a narrative and tonal reinvention (ie. how the game unfolds and narrative unfolds).

Utako

Banned
Shocked by all the hate for Skyward Sword. It's easily the best Zelda that isn't Majora's Mask. So much cool and beautiful.

I do want a darker Zelda, however. That's what Team ICO essentially gives us, and are quite loved for it.

denomes

Shocked by all the hate for Skyward Sword. It's easily the best Zelda that isn't Majora's Mask. So much cool and beautiful.

I do want a darker Zelda, however. That's what Team ICO essentially gives us, and are quite loved for it.

I wouldn't say they're darker, just more artful, understated and thoughtful in their narrative delivery. Though I suppose you could argue that for these reasons they appeal to a mature audience.

Top Bottom