• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends // 'You kill me, you're better. I kill you, I'm better.'

Banned
Map is really good. But it's like the only positive thing I can say. After doing 4 daily challenges and 7 top 5s including 1 win I'm still level 1 of the battlepass with 9/10 stars.

I did my dailys and 4 weekly challenges and I am level 5, so far this is pretty standard fare for me, I usually get level 5 on day 1

Boss Mog

I did my dailys and 4 weekly challenges and I am level 5, so far this is pretty standard fare for me, I usually get level 5 on day 1
I'm usually level 6 or 7 on day 1 playing about 2 hours. Today I played 3 hours and I'm level 1. I'm glad it's working out for you but for the majority it is not.

Last edited:

Amaranty

New battle pass leveling requirements are unreal. I wonder how it compares to Modern Warfare and Fortnite. Apex subreddit is in an uproar, I figure official forums are even worse.

Boss Mog

Fix incoming lads:

lll4emrmqix51.png

Boss Mog

Her ultimate needs to take longer to charge in exchange for having a stronger pull IMO.
Pull is definitely way too weak, she threw it right on top of me while her teammate threw a grenade, I was able to walk away easily and not even take any damage from the grenade.

Ammo not using one of the two slots when using Black Market is great buff for Loba, especially in early and late game. I still wish they would shorten the recovery after using bracelet but I'm pretty content with that ammo buff. She's become a much more valuable member to have on your team now. Managed to get my first win of the season after an hour or so last night. 7 kils and 1600 damage. Love the new map. Haven't really given Horizon a fair shake yet but wasn't super impressed after a couple of games with her.

Gonna get a proper rattle at it tonight.

Boss Mog

Ammo not using one of the two slots when using Black Market is great buff for Loba, especially in early and late game. I still wish they would shorten the recovery after using bracelet but I'm pretty content with that ammo buff. She's become a much more valuable member to have on your team now. Managed to get my first win of the season after an hour or so last night. 7 kils and 1600 damage. Love the new map. Haven't really given Horizon a fair shake yet but wasn't super impressed after a couple of games with her.

Gonna get a proper rattle at it tonight.
Yes I played as Loba last night, her Black Market is amazing now with the unlimited ammo grab; it seems to charge much faster too. Loot is also more concentrated on this map making it even better; I was amazed at the amount of stuff available each time I used it.

Yes I played as Loba last night, her Black Market is amazing now with the unlimited ammo grab; it seems to charge much faster too. Loot is also more concentrated on this map making it even better; I was amazed at the amount of stuff available each time I used it.
The new buff combined with her most recent one from season 6 that spawns you with 50% BM charge makes your team very dangerous right off the bat while everyone is scrambling to get tooled up. Grab a half decent weapon and after a minute or so your whole team can be ammo'd up to the gills while your opponents are on rations.

In late game you can cockblock the other teams by just scooping up all the ammo in the area whether you need it or not. It's still very early doors but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets nerfed mid season, maybe limiting to 2 stacks per ammo type or something. Hopefully not though lol.

Really like Horizon so far, or at least more than any of the other recent legends. Cooldown feels spot on, though I don't give much for the gravity sta... uh, black hole ULT. Also, I sort of wonder why they didn't just go ahead and make her capable of wall-running.

MomoVideo

Banned
I played for 6 hours yesterday and only managed to get level 2 on Battle Pass. I didn't specifically tried to do challenges, just normal gameplay.

Amaranty

I played for 6 hours yesterday and only managed to get level 2 on Battle Pass. I didn't specifically tried to do challenges, just normal gameplay.
They are changing the system a bit to make it easier, but it's still a far cry that we had previous seasons. I guess too many people only payed for the first season pass and then used the coins from battle pass to purchase the next one.

VN1X

Banned
Last edited:

Boss Mog

I still don't think the battlepass changes will make it as fast as it was in previous seasons. I will wait for next week's adjusted weekly challenges to be sure though. Really enjoying Loba this season. The update to Black Market is great and the map has a lot of spots that make her tactical useful for quickly getting the high ground. I really only played her because of my weeklies being "play 15 games as Loba" and "deal 5000 damage as Loba" but I'm enjoying it and doing well. With the instant and abundant ammo you can quickly change your whole weapon without having to worry about ammo, so if you find a purple mag you can't use with your current weapon you can just change to a weapon that can use it and get all the ammo you need immediately. In this game having a purple mag matters and can be the difference between winning and losing a fight.

Last edited:

Banned
the thing is, the battlepass changes were made for the hardcore players like me... and that's the minority here and in general nowadays... I got level 5 on day 1 easily and didn't even finish all my weekly challenges, I usually end up at around 5 or 6 on day 1 with all weeklys done... so for me it didn't feel much slower.
and the way it works now I might have to play longer, but then again, I finished last season's battle pass literally like 3 weeks early, and that's pretty normal for me. (depending on the length of the season this can go up to 5 or even 6 weeks during the longest season a year ago... which was it? 3? I don't remember... point is there was a really long one once... and I had that finished almost 6 weeks before the season ended)

so this seems to be tailored to keep people like me longer engaged in the battle pass leveling process, which inherently fucks over the more casual audience that won't easily do most weekly challenges within a single day (be it because of skill or time) and that don't play daily.

Last edited:

Piggoro

I wonder, will there be any kind of next-gen update graphics-wise for Apex?
Straight from horse's EA's mouth:
"...Respawn Entertainment is bringing Apex Legends to new platforms this year including the Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5. This award-winning battle royale game that took the world by great surprise last year just launched Season 7... Next-gen players can expect a performance boost up to 1440p, with more formal enhancements planned for next year. Apex Legends will also support crossplay across PC via Origin™ and Steam, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5."

Banned
I wonder, will there be any kind of next-gen update graphics-wise for Apex?

on Giant Bomb's Series X stream the game was detected by the OS as "Gen 9 Aware" which means that the game at the very least knows that it runs on Series X and has adjustments for running on it. (you can look at detailed spec infos of games on Xbox One and Series X|S, like even with which dev kit the game/current version was compiled and stuff like that)
a full patch is not out yet but given that the game has a dynamic resolution on every console, and runs like complete shit on every console (even on One X the framerate can go down into the 40s and that is the best running version) playing it on Series X and PS5 should automatically mean a way better framerate and a way higher maintained dynamic resolution.

Last edited:
I didn't get a single win from the time they introduced cross-play until the start of this season.

It's been a productive 24 hours. (Not solid play, probably like 4 hours.)
n4EtPeS.jpg

JHJUDha.jpg

5gOkrCk.jpg

INt7W1O.jpg

Aion002

the thing is, the battlepass changes were made for the hardcore players like me... and that's the minority here and in general nowadays... I got level 5 on day 1 easily and didn't even finish all my weekly challenges, I usually end up at around 5 or 6 on day 1 with all weeklys done... so for me it didn't feel much slower.
and the way it works now I might have to play longer, but then again, I finished last season's battle pass literally like 3 weeks early, and that's pretty normal for me. (depending on the length of the season this can go up to 5 or even 6 weeks during the longest season a year ago... which was it? 3? I don't remember... point is there was a really long one once... and I had that finished almost 6 weeks before the season ended)

so this seems to be tailored to keep people like me longer engaged in the battle pass leveling process, which inherently fucks over the more casual audience that won't easily do most weekly challenges within a single day (be it because of skill or time) and that don't play daily.
How many matches did you play? I just won 3 matches and I am still stuck on level 1. This is ridiculous, most days I am only able to play 1 hour or less, if this keeps going I will never finish this pass.... The last pass I was able to get on level 100 this week, while on the revenant and loba bps I was able to complete.

I guess I am fucked. :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Banned
:messenger_smiling_hearts:
How many matches did you play? I just won 3 matches and I am still stuck on level 1. This is ridiculous, most days I am only able to play 1 hour or less, if this keeps going I will never finish this pass.... The last pass I was able to get on level 100 this week, while on the revenant and loba bps I was able to complete.

I guess I am fucked. :messenger_crying:

I played 15 matches day 1, which was exactly the amount I needed for a weekly challenge.
but on day 1 I usually play a lot more than the rest of the season. I usually play at most 10 matched a day with my group, that's the upper limit. 6 or 7 is more realistic.

I am currently level 8, so today I made 3 levels. with the reduced XP requirements for getting a Star that they introduced today, leveling feels a lot faster for sure
one of those levels came from 2 of my remaining weeklys (Do 50k damage and Get 80 kills ... for 5 stars each), one through getting enough XP to get me over the edge from the day before (I had 8/10 stars at the end yesterday) and one with a mix of XP stars and daily challenges.

Last edited:

Aion002

I played 15 matches day 1, which was exactly the amount I needed for a weekly challenge.
but on day 1 I usually play a lot more than the rest of the season. I usually play at most 10 matched a day with my group, that's the upper limit.

I am currently level 8, so today I made 3 levels. with the reduces XP requirements for getting a Star that they introduces today, leveling feels a lot faster for sure
one of those levels came from 2 of my remaining weeklys (Do 50k damage and Get 80 kills), one through getting enough XP to get me over the edge from the day before (I had 8/10 stars at the end yesterday) and one with a mix of XP stars and daily challenges.
I guess I will have to complete those challenges.... Hopefully more people put pressure on them and they make things better.

Banned
I guess I will have to complete those challenges.... Hopefully more people put pressure on them and they make things better.

they apparently reduced the requirements on some weekly challenges too. one of the friends I play with had his challenge requirements reduced today... he had to get like 20 revives or something I think, and that was reduced to 10? not sure if I remember that right, but he sounded happy seeing that lol

Last edited:

Aion002

Let's all

source.gif

At EA's HQ!

they apparently reduces the requirements on some weekly challenges too. one of the friends I play with had his challenge requirements reduced today... he had to get like 20 revives or something I think, and that was reduced to 10? not sure if I remember that right, but he sounded happy seeing that lol
Oh cool. I think something like that happened with me today on my first match, there was a challenge of downing 10 enemies and after downing 6 on a match it was completed.... Or maybe I just didn't pay attention, but I am pretty sure that it was 10 and then after the match it was 6 and it was completed. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Banned
what I also have to say in regards to the leveling system now that I think about it more...
I think for me it is better, which I already kinda said in the post above on how that it is designed for a more core audience, but I don't mean it like that this time... if I really look at it I should actually level faster overall.
with the old system I made like 5 to 6 or even 7 levels on the first day of each weekly reset, because of the new challenges and the XP requirements for a level up being reset to 9k

but at the end of a week i was lucky if I got even a single level playing the whole day... because all the challenges were done, you need 58,000 xp for a level up (which is about 40 matches... I get around 6k-7k xp per match in average I would say, and that's a long/good placement match as playtime + top 5 bonus is the biggest XP giver so on average it's a lot of matches) and daily challenges only gave you 9,000 xp

with the new system you get 8 stars for daily challenges each day! this means if you complete all of them and get 10,000 xp (which you will get along the way anyways) you have 1 level up.
and I have no issue completing daily challenges at all and I usually do it fast (if it is not something like play character xyz 6 times)

so for me, I should actually level even faster now that I think about it... I should have absolutely no issue getting a level each and every day, while in the past I really had to grind hard to achieve that at the end of a week.

Last edited:

Alx

I love playing with Loba, but I think the changes to her marketplace made her too powerful. It charges so fast that you can cast it repeatedly to cover huge parts of the map (by the time you move to an area out of range of your previous marketplace, you can cast a new one).
If your team follows you and you're not disturbed by other playere, you'll all wear all-purple gear with full ammo in no time.

Boss Mog

what I also have to say in regards to the leveling system now that I think about it more...
I think for me it is better, which I already kinda said in the post above on how that it is designed for a more core audience, but I don't mean it like that this time... if I really look at it I should actually level faster overall.
with the old system I made like 5 to 6 or even 7 levels on the first day of each weekly reset, because of the new challenges and the XP requirements for a level up being reset to 9k

but at the end of a week i was lucky if I got even a single level playing the whole day... because all the challenges were done, you need 58,000 xp for a level up (which is about 40 matches... I get around 6k-7k xp per match in average I would say, and that's a long/good placement match as playtime + top 5 bonus is the biggest XP giver so on average it's a lot of matches) and daily challenges only gave you 9,000 xp

with the new system you get 8 stars for daily challenges each day! this means if you complete all of them and get 10,000 xp (which you will get along the way anyways) you have 1 level up.
and I have no issue completing daily challenges at all and I usually do it fast (if it is not something like play character xyz 6 times)

so for me, I should actually level even faster now that I think about it... I should have absolutely no issue getting a level each and every day, while in the past I really had to grind hard to achieve that at the end of a week.
It was a max of 54k for a level and if you got 6-7k xp per match it would take you 8 or 9 matches to get a level, not 40. The old battlepass was way more chill and I didn't have to worry about the challenges that much which is the way I like it. I want to play like I want, not be forced to pick certain chars or guns, at least not very often. Also for challenges that requires kills, they would push me to try and finish an enemy I downed rather than help fight the ones that were still up so I made sure i got my kill; that's pretty bad as far as teamwork goes. But like I said I didn't have to worry about the challenges that much. Basically as long as I got 10 dailies a week done, and raised the level cap to 54K each weak I could finish the battlepass. I wouldn't really worry about the weeklies at all, but obviously I would get a lot of them done playing naturally since you had the whole season to do them. Plus I loved the rush of playing on Tuesdays and getting levels quickly.

With this new system, even with the adjustment, I feel like I will really have to mostly focus on challenges if I want to reach 110. Do all my dailies every day, instead of 10/week, plus actually focus on weeklies. I will get less enjoyment out of the game if it forces me too much to play in ways I don't want to.

Last edited:
PSA: beware there is a glitch with Rampart's turret, it can be placed and used on a Crypto drone. We had some laughs with this after we lost a final 2v2 to this tactic. The more you know. Literally we got this going - 1 driver in Trident, Crypto places turret on the ground then gets in a passenger seat, Rampart then uses the turret and gets flown around the map on the drone.

I was literally flying our Rampart around after the Trident while we stayed safe moving quick and Rampart laid down huge streams of fire on teams we third partied. Fucking stupid glitch with no limits to where you can fly really and we only did it twice to see it in action.

Last edited:
Got added into a Plat ranked game as a Silver II through that glitch where it doesn't reset your rank with some dude I was playing with on Gold and we fucking dominated. Was the best ranked game I ever played, just non stop fights from the last 10 squads in the middle of Olympus.

Top Bottom