• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

App Store to Be 'Split in Two' Ahead of EU iPhone Sideloading Deadline - what effect on gaming will there be.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Apple is preparing to split the App Store "in two" in the coming weeks ahead of European Union requirements that will force Apple to enable app sideloading in the region.
I wonder how this will change gaming on iOS?

Skyfox

Maybe this is why Xbox is putting games on PlayStation. They want to get ahead of the ruling and are hoping for an end to hardware exclusivity so they can get more ip on their platform?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Maybe this is why Xbox is putting games on PlayStation. They want to get ahead of the ruling and are hoping for an end to hardware exclusivity so they can get more ip on their platform?
Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Fabieter

I doubt Microsoft is bringing everything over.

nikos

This is honestly really stupid. The App Store's regulations and Apple's privacy/security measures altogether are generally a good thing, especially for average users. A very large percentage of users buy iPhone because of these things.

Sideloading is going to be like the Wild West, but perhaps only people who know what they're doing will use it anyway.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Updated my phone last night and they moved tv and movies to the AppleTV app. That’s fine but now I can’t find my damn wish list anymore.

Chukhopops

I remember people in the last thread arguing this would never happen and Apple wouldn’t bow to the EU regulators.

This is really good as an option but I think most iPhone users won’t use it (which is fine).

Xbox isn’t listed in the services for which Microsoft is considered a gatekeeper so no, it has nothing to do with it (and it’s far from confirmed anyway but w/e).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What is this feeling I’m feeling… am I actually envious… of something in the EU??

I really hope we get proper sideloading in the US at some point.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
My evil side say apple has some "people" who will help infect and ruin the side loading appeal. Se its not safe and we told you so. We are not going to be patching vulnerabilities offered through side loading its at your own risk.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
My evil side say apple has some "people" who will help infect and ruin the side loading appeal. Se its not safe and we told you so. We are not going to be patching vulnerabilities offered through side loading its at your own risk.
Just like sideloading appeal is ruined on Mac?
No one uses the App store on MAC

Kuranghi

Off-topic: Is there an adblocker for firefox that blocks ads on live twitch streams? That is annoying af. ABP didn't work for them before I switched to UBO (to counter youtube) but last time I watched a live stream it played at ad during the exact moment I was waiting for on a reaction stream: *me standing 6 inches away from my 65" TV squinting at the tiny video to see what happened* what a miserable experience

Gamezone

Gold Member
Does this mean that we can use GeForce Now and Xbox streaming without being forced trough a web browser?

twilo99

This is honestly really stupid. The App Store's regulations and Apple's privacy/security measures altogether are generally a good thing, especially for average users. A very large percentage of users buy iPhone because of these things.

Sideloading is going to be like the Wild West, but perhaps only people who know what they're doing will use it anyway.

The point is to have options just like on windows..

how would people feel if the Microsoft Store was the only place you buy games and software? There will be a riot, but somehow everyone is conditioned to think that iOS is somehow different and that behavior is not only tolerated but promoted.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
100%. I'm so sick of booting up my Xbox and seeing no games to play. Like there isn't even a store to buy games. There is just an Edge Browser that only goes to a customized Youtube page that only shows lets play videos of Nintendo games 😅

Sakura

how would people feel if the Microsoft Store was the only place you buy games and software? There will be a riot, but somehow everyone is conditioned to think that iOS is somehow different and that behavior is not only tolerated but promoted.
Not sure it is the same really as MS doesn't make the hardware in that case. I wouldn't expect to have other options on an Xbox just like I don't expect it on an iPhone.

Kdad

That would be a change in windows from how I bought it.

iOS having one source of apps was known before I bought it.

Not comparable from a consumer point of view imo.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad

So don't sideload? Keep taking those blue pills.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'd imagine your work controls will prevent sideloading too...at least it does on my work Android.
I should have been clearer. It’s my phone but I have work stuff on there.

Top Bottom