• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

App Store to Be 'Split in Two' Ahead of EU iPhone Sideloading Deadline - what effect on gaming will there be.

Kdad

Is there anything in this ruling that prevents Apple from charging for unlocking the sideload capability? Or selling a iOS 17 Lockdown Edition vs iOS 17 Sideload edition phone at different prices? Or charging extra fees at the Genius bar if you've got a phone that has been sideloaded? Just looking at Apple's angles here.

Last edited:

Quasicat

The regular App Store comes to the US, the new and separate App Store does not.
That’s the only difference.

Soodanim

Looking forward to a Firefox with extension browsing in-app, rather than an awkward tacked on system of apps that hook into Safari that are difficult to find.

I wonder if apps will be able to run their own software cores instead of being shells forced to run on iOS's cores. Browsers, keyboards, etc all offer a worse experience than on Android as it stands. I think there's more chance of browsers than keyboards, which is at least something.

Chukhopops

I wonder if VPN can resolve that?
Might work but you’d still be limited by the region of your payment method, which would limit the benefit you’d get out of it.

It’s going to be weird when plenty of apps in EU will offer integrated payments (since they won’t need to pay the 30% commission) but not in the rest of the world.

Top Bottom