• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

am_dragon

True.

Guess it's just not a priority for apple. Also even if they did do it they probably wouldn't advertise it, just because it would tempt complaints.

It's not just the Lightning port either. I've seen corrosion through the earpiece, I guess from sweat.

First my iPhone 6 is still fine, over a week later. I can tell you since I've seen it open, there are rubber seals on the home button, on off switch and volume rocker. There is no protection on the microphones, headphone jack, and lightning jack.

I've seen a couple videos where they dunk an iPhone. If it's under long enough for bubbles to come out, good luck. Mine was under for maybe 2 seconds, and I thought I did a good job getting the water out of the open ports. When they opened it at the shop there were a couple damp spots inside the case, about an inch up from the lightning port.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So can anyone explain to me why apps are getting Apple Watch updates, yet some of them still don't even support 6/6+ resolutions? Unacceptable.

Vyer

So can anyone explain to me why apps are getting Apple Watch updates, yet some of them still don't even support 6/6+ resolutions? Unacceptable.

The same apps?

It's interesting the volume of my apps that are pushing put Watch updates. Even saw OneDrive recently. MS has actually done a pretty good job with their iOS apps on the whole

Link

The Autumn Wind
The same apps?

It's interesting the volume of my apps that are pushing put Watch updates. Even saw OneDrive recently. MS has actually done a pretty good job with their iOS apps on the whole
Yeah, the same apps. They've pushed out Watch updates, but still haven't updated the resolutions.

LosDaddie

Banned
just got my iPhone 6 today.

what's a good site for simple/non-busy wallpapers? I'm looking for some nature and comic wallpapers.

thanks

TheBear

Hi, just got a new iPhone 6 and have recovered my icloud backup from my 4S. Got through the backup and have all my contacts etc, but most of the apps won't download. I have tried logging out of itunes and when I login again I get the message above. I also cannot access the app store to redownload any of the apps. Is there any way around this?

Vyer

An iPhone 5.

Ah. Pretty decent jump.

just got my iPhone 6 today.

what's a good site for simple/non-busy wallpapers? I'm looking for some nature and comic wallpapers.

thanks

https://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/rating/iphone/iphone_6/

Hi, just got a new iPhone 6 and have recovered my icloud backup from my 4S. Got through the backup and have all my contacts etc, but most of the apps won't download. I have tried logging out of itunes and when I login again I get the message above. I also cannot access the app store to redownload any of the apps. Is there any way around this?

What's the message?

finally after 6 years of owning Android phones, tomorrow im going to the T-Mobile store to switch to the iPhone 6. excited for the change, for many reasons, but im also nervous since im not to knowledgeable at using the Apple ios . so itll be a fun weekend messing around with the phone. any advice for an iPhone virgin?

Erebus

The verge.com did a "best keyboard" feature for iOS and Android today which reminded that I have yet to try any third-party keyboards since I've upgraded to the iPhone 6.

Do you guys prefer them over the stock Apple keyboard? I've heard that all third-party keyboards are prone to crashing and occasional glitches.

Majine

Banned
The verge.com did a "best keyboard" feature for iOS and Android today which reminded that I have yet to try any third-party keyboards since I've upgraded to the iPhone 6.

Do you guys prefer them over the stock Apple keyboard? I've heard that all third-party keyboards are prone to crashing and occasional glitches.

I still prefer the Apple keyboard. Especially since it still switches to it for password fields.

finally after 6 years of owning Android phones, tomorrow im going to the T-Mobile store to switch to the iPhone 6. excited for the change, for many reasons, but im also nervous since im not to knowledgeable at using the Apple ios . so itll be a fun weekend messing around with the phone. any advice for an iPhone virgin?

Like switching between any OS it will take some getting used to. iOS is pretty straightforward though, which is its biggest strength IMO. Not as much customizing as an Droid (unless you jailbreak), but still enough to personalize it a bit.

My recommendation is immediately adjusting the Location Service and Privacy settings. Some of the stuff on there like location based ads should be turned off so it can actually help with battery life.

FerranMG

I use Fleksy and I love it. More so since they added "extensions", and you can customize they keyboard a lot.

Yes, all 3rd party keyboards are still buggy (I'd say it's not the keyboards themselves, but Apple implementation in iOS 8), but they became much more stable in 8.3.

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a recommended case for my sister. (I just bought her one of these for her trip as a surprise, but I know she's prone to dropping phones)

Is otterbox the top name/case or is that just a brand thing? Is there another brand I might be missing? I'm looking for something that could take multiple falls and be colored. This is for the regular iPhone 6.

Talon

I use Swiftkey, and I love it.

Fuchsdh

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a recommended case for my sister. (I just bought her one of these for her trip as a surprise, but I know she's prone to dropping phones)

Is otterbox the top name/case or is that just a brand thing? Is there another brand I might be missing? I'm looking for something that could take multiple falls and be colored. This is for the regular iPhone 6.

I used an Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4S. I probably didn't need it since I never dropped the phone but it's pretty much one of the best heavy-duty cases you can get (without getting into the "military grade toughness" category of phone cases which seem like overkill to me.)

That said, the user comments for the iPhone 6 version of the case came with some pretty heavy criticisms, among them that the case makes it inconsistent or impossible to the use the TouchID feature. And those cases are expensive. Apparently you can remove the membrane blocking the sensor, so it might still be the best option for your sister. Since I'm not concerned with serious drops I just went a cheaper option and got a tempered glass screen protector and a thin Luvvitt case that works fine.

I used an Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4S. I probably didn't need it since I never dropped the phone but it's pretty much one of the best heavy-duty cases you can get (without getting into the "military grade toughness" category of phone cases which seem like overkill to me.)

That said, the user comments for the iPhone 6 version of the case came with some pretty heavy criticisms, among them that the case makes it inconsistent or impossible to the use the TouchID feature. And those cases are expensive. Apparently you can remove the membrane blocking the sensor, so it might still be the best option for your sister. Since I'm not concerned with serious drops I just went a cheaper option and got a tempered glass screen protector and a thin Luvvitt case that works fine.

I don't think my sister will ever use that touch ID stuff, so that's not too much of a concern. I did forget about a screen protector though, I suppose that's something else I need to add to the list. But that's mostly for screen scratches right? It wouldn't really help with impacts? And yeah looking at these prices it's a little on the expensive side. They do look nice though.

Got out the car this morning, phone (iPhone 6 Plus) slipped out of my hand, landed face down on concrete.

Stood there for a few seconds and just knew what I was going to pick up.
Thankfully I had a screen protector on it so its keeping the glass in place.

Phones working fine, just a smashed screen.

Genius bar appointment booked for Friday to have the screen replaced.

£106 well spent for that replacement!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So after months of feeling like my TouchID was broken I think I finally understand the limits of it and how to use it. I still get negatives here and there but its acceptably reliable now. I got this phone on November 7th I think and it was a long adjustment period. I really do think it was me just not being mindful that it was fingerprint sensor and being impatient and just getting pissy at it.

tr4656

So after months of feeling like my TouchID was broken I think I finally understand the limits of it and how to use it. I still get negatives here and there but its acceptably reliable now. I got this phone on November 7th I think and it was a long adjustment period. I really do think it was me just not being mindful that it was fingerprint sensor and being impatient and just getting pissy at it.

What was the problem you had with it?

tr4656

Talking about TouchID, I just bought an new iPad yesterday and now I feel like my iPhone TouchID sensor might be faulty too. The iPad seems to work much better than my iPhone in terms of accuracy and speed. Should I go to the Apple Store and get it checked?

Ninja Dom

Talking about TouchID, I just bought an new iPad yesterday and now I feel like my iPhone TouchID sensor might be faulty too. The iPad seems to work much better than my iPhone in terms of accuracy and speed. Should I go to the Apple Store and get it checked?

Yes get it checked out. I haven't heard anything about the iPad Air 2 having better accuracy with Touch ID than an iPhone 6.

Ninja Dom

Now this is gonna sound strange but it happens once every so often.

I get a phantom notification.

The alert is the same sound effect you hear when you complete a word in Words With Friends. The phone vibrates too. But there is nothing on the screen, no text or indication of what app it was that made that alert sound and vibration.

I swear this has happened a few times since I got my 6 in September. Very strange.

FerranMG

Now this is gonna sound strange but it happens once every so often.

I get a phantom notification.

The alert is the same sound effect you hear when you complete a word in Words With Friends. The phone vibrates too. But there is nothing on the screen, no text or indication of what app it was that made that alert sound and vibration.

I swear this has happened a few times since I got my 6 in September. Very strange.

This happens to me to.
On the one hand, the messaging app Telegram has definitely issues with notifications. Sometimes they disappear from the lock screen.
On the other hand, I think I (we :p) might have some app that has notifications enabled, but neither banners nor alerts are active. So it might appear as a phantom notification. Just a theory I have, though. Haven't been able to thoroughly check it yet.

robox

once you see it, you can't unsee it:

crescent moon in the front camera hole.

co-worker pointed it out to me and now i notice it when i look. he has replaced his phone because of it. but his new one got it too, so he's planning another replacement down the line. apparently pretty common. i don't find it interferes with operation, but it's one of those ocd things.

Ninja Dom

co-worker pointed it out to me and now i notice it when i look. he has replaced his phone because of it. but his new one got it too, so he's planning another replacement down the line. apparently pretty common. i don't find it interferes with operation, but it's one of those ocd things.

Oh yeah, I noticed that early on when I first got the phone. I had to compare the camera with someone else's to make sure it was okay.

Next iPhone rumors from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo:

Force Touch will be the biggest upgraded selling point, but also one of the main bottlenecks of the supply chain. Force Touch can enrich user experience due to more input methods and support of handwritten signatures, which is beneficial for expanding in the commercial market
Screen will remain at 4.7 and 5.5 inches, with resolution the same as existing models. There will be no new 4-inch model;
There will be an additional casing color, rose gold, matching the rose-gold Apple Watch Edition
The camera will have a pixel upgrade, likely to 12MP
One microphone will be added near the speaker to enhance voice quality
The A9 processor with upgraded 2GB LPDDR4 will be adopted
The bending issue will be improved by using different casing materials and internal mechanical design changes
If drop test issues can be resolved, the 5.5-inch model will have a limited number of units with sapphire cover lens
The recognition rate of Touch ID will be improved further in a bid to promote Apply Pay
Gesture control support
It’s expected that mass production will start in mid-to-late August. Total shipments will be 80-90mn in 2015, with a 2:1 ratio of 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/12/kgi-t...-option-force-touch-12mp-camera-2gb-ram-more/

FerranMG

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I'm sorry, what? Is it a build defect or something?

Furyous

*Scust at this rumor*

This rumor sucks for one reason: WHY IN THE FUCK ARE THEY STICKING WITH 750P?

We know the iPhone 6 plays 4K videos so why in the shit won't Apple increase the resolution?

An A9 processor with 2 GB of dat DDR4 RAM has to break SOT records. It has to make the Z3C look like some 2011 shit. I'm whelmed by this more than likely true rumor.

Apple needs to start production now so they can have the units on hand for September. Apple has a helluva sales job ahead of themselves to convince me this device with a 750P resolution is worth upwards of $950. My iPhone 5 is on its last legs and I need a new device but fuck a 750p resolution at that price. At least include an IR blaster and open up the NFC chip to devs.

RDF help me get excited for this rumor, please?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no, the screens are fine. I'm even on the less optimal formfactor that downscales from 3x to 2x.

clav

I am amused by watching some Android users having to defend their phone choice against other Android users over stuff like no sd card and non removable batteries. All because Sammy built a phone like the iPhone.

Amused I say.

One of the reasons why Apple diehard Guy Kawasaki switched over to Android in the first place (before he switched back recently) was due to SD cards, USB port standards, and removable batteries.

Top Bottom