• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

ZeroX03

Banned
apple introduces new higher res screen with weird downscaling, chugs a little. Following year, Apple actually puts the chip inside that is needed to drive it properly.

sounds a bit like when they introduced the retina ipad.

Is this meant to be some sort of joke? The 6/+ performed exceptionally well.

You'd have a point if you just talked about the 2nd gen/S cycle being more consistent performers, but it's nothing like the disaster that was the Retina iPad.

I ordered from the apple store app + verizon and my phone has yet to ship. It's still telling me that it's going to arrive on the 25th, though. Has anybody with that order combo had their phone ship yet?
Same, I'm assuming cause I'm in NYC. If it hasn't shipped by Wednesday in going in panic mode.

If worse comes to worse I could just have fedex hold the shipment and grab it before class.

Newline

Is this meant to be some sort of joke? The 6/+ performed exceptionally well.

You'd have a point if you just talked about the 2nd gen/S cycle being more consistent performers, but it's nothing like the disaster that was the Retina iPad.

Imo if you get stutter when doing something as simple as opening up the multi tasking window, there's a performance issue. So imo the 6+ has issues.
Reviews are up.

Links?

Nephtis

I personally am doing the program. For what I'm getting (64GB 6S+) it comes out to about $490 if I exercise that option to get the new phone in 12 months (which of course I will). It's comparable enough for me to buying the phone outright and selling it in a year.

The big advantage over buying it through a carrier is that you're not locked into a carrier contract. You can bounce between carriers every single month if you want to. It turns them into, for lack of a better phrase, dumb pipes who only exist to give you data. Which is fine by me, fuck em.

(Verizon's device payment plan is also total bullshit)

yeah? I want to get the 128GB. That's the only way I can possible excuse a phone that doesn't have SD Card capability ;_;

do I need to go into the apple store for upgrade program or can I do it all online? god I feel so lost with this, I don't know why lol

Verge:

So I'm just going to put this out there, and then we can all handle the emotional consequences together: if you are thinking of buying a new phone, and you have anything older than an iPhone 6, you should buy an iPhone 6S Plus. It is the best iPhone ever made, and it is right now the best phone on the market. If you're upgrading from an iPhone 5S or anything older, it will blow your mind.

Note that I said the 6S Plus, not the 6S. I am convinced that in another year or so every phone will be the size of the 6S Plus, so if you're going to jump in, just go all the way. You'll get a slightly better camera and a little more battery life out of the deal as well. The future is here. You should face it with a gigantic screen.

dc89

Seeing new, naked iPhones always make me appreciate the design of them.
It makes me want to take my case (Apple's leather case) off my 6 Plus!

And I agree with the comment above regarding the size of the phones. I couldn't go back to anything smaller now. Sure, it got a little while getting used to, even going from a Z3, but now I would not go back.

Frith

my gf has the 6 but uses her old 4s as a party phone when things are going to get messy.
everytime she gets it out of the draw she says it feels futuristic as its so small.
small used to be the goal and eventually i hope apple will make hi end tiny phones again lots of people still want them and i think they should have 3 phones in the lineup. this all big phone future while perhaps true is the most tech nerd centric shit.

Yep I've decided to get the 6S+ version, that screen and extra battery life is too tempting. Great news to hear about the better front camera and processing speed.

Now I think i'm gonna get the Apple saddle brown leather case with it...are there any better looking brown leather choices in the UK?

dc89

Yep I've decided to get the 6S+ version, that screen and extra battery life is too tempting. Great news to hear about the better front camera and processing speed.

Now I think i'm gonna get the Apple saddle brown leather case with it...are there any better looking brown leather choices in the UK?

I really like how well fitting the Apple leather case is. It does a pretty good job of stopping debris getting in around where the case fits. it also helps with grip.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/iphone-6s-review-a-slightly-better-iphone-6-1442923203

Conclusion:

Battery : same as 6
Performance : much better than 6
Camera : better than 6
Screen: same as 6
Durability: better than 6

http://mashable.com/2015/09/22/iphone-6s-review-apple/#87ZQbSDSSkk0

The Good
3D Touch is a game-changer • Better camera • Live Photos are fun • It comes in pink
The Bad
The 16GB option still exists, why? • 4K video feels unnecessary • Battery life is basically the same
The Bottom Line
The iPhone 6S is the best smartphone on the market, and 3D Touch is a truly forward-looking feature.

Magnus

My iPhone 6S reservation with Rogers in Toronto jut issued a shipping notice to me - it'll be in store for me to pickup this evening.

That can't be right, can it? Are these things street dated like software? Or can I actually pick this up tonight??

I'm amazed, because I only put in the reservation on Sunday. Lol.

Lima

Hell yes. No more below 5" screen please :p

Well I do think that with the iPhone 7 they will go 5" and 6" respectively while keeping the same size of the phone by just reducing the bezels.
In that case I wouldn't actually mind a 5" screen.

ZeroX03

Banned

ZeroX03

Banned
Isn't it better to shoot in 1080p 60fps than 4K 30fps? I mean the videos will be smooth and all.

Not really. It's a preference call, but for for most people image quality trumps framerate. Framerates higher than 30fps aren't often used for live action projects. You're probably thinking of video games where there's often a preference for higher framerates and smooth playback is more important.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'd rather see 1080p60 even for non-gaming videos. But both throttle like ass on youtube (where most of us do most of our non movie/tv video watching) so it's annoying no matter how you look at the situation.

Anyway options are good. there are times where you may want 4K but 1080p is still great for most purposes.

iMax

Isn't it better to shoot in 1080p 60fps than 4K 30fps? I mean the videos will be smooth and all.

Depends on the subject matter. Some content will look very strange at 60, whilst other content will look much better with it.

It'd be nice if you could change the quality by force touching on the shutter button but I don't think you can.

So, I had lost my job last month BUT just received my new offer today.

Was thinking of going to an AT&T Store first thing on Friday. Based on the way that pre-ordering was pretty easy, I should be OK to be there early? Going for a 64GB Space Grey 6S.

I figure worst case, I can just go online and order from Apple when I get home that day.

Blackhead

Redarse
Where is the Arstechnica review?! :\

Am I the only one switching from android to iPhone Just because I don't want a screen over 5" anymore? I feel so alone these days lol

? Are you getting an iPhone 5s? The iPhone 6/6s with its 4.7" but huge bezels is bigger than many Android phones with 5"/5.2" screens

Number45

Generally nice review, no idea how they can list 4K video as a negative though. That whole section was weird. They complained it was unnecessary for the regular viewer, while deriding it for being hidden in the settings where a regular person wouldn't bother to go to activate it? Strange. It's pretty much an objective positive.

Their scrolling reviews look so pretty though. Wow.
In the text it mentions that you should consider the 128GB if you're going to do 4K, so maybe that's why?

Am I the only one switching from android to iPhone Just because I don't want a screen over 5" anymore? I feel so alone these days lol
Ask me in a year. Still here with my lowly 3.5" screen...

For anyone that is doing the upgrade through apples upgrade program. Is there anyway to confirm your appointment on the 25th other than the original email they sent?

Fuck that verge writer claiming everyone should have a PLUS phone. I've had a 6+ for a year and it's too big for a daily phone.

Going down to 6s this time.

Fuck that verge writer claiming everyone should have a PLUS phone. I've had a 6+ for a year and it's too big for a daily phone.

Going down to 6s this time.

Yeah same. The plus is so god damn unwieldy. Especially when they design it to be so uncomfortable, uselessly thin, and slippery. The only big phone I ever felt was comfortable to use and hold is the Note 4. Gonna upgrade my personal line to a 6S so I can stop using the 6+.

reKon

Banned
Not giving the Verge any views because of how God awful that web site is. Hopefully Anandtech and GSMArena come out soon.

Top Bottom