• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

I don't understand the bolded. What does the time it takes to open the box have to do with the estimated delivery date? Or anything, for that matter?

Apple does things to build anticipation and hype. The most popular color is stuck in processing for both sizes.

Just saying I wouldn't doubt if this wasnt planned and all of a sudden thousands of taking numbers simultaneously got updated

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Apple does things to build anticipation and hype. The most popular color is stuck in processing for both sizes.

Just saying I wouldn't doubt if this wasnt planned and all of a sudden thousands of taking numbers simultaneously got updated

Where did you hear it's the most popular? The delays are likely from them producing less of that color.

Apple doesn't make the same amount of phones for each color.

Christ. I just saw those benchmark scores and they're absolutely jaw dropping. The power Apple pulls out of a dual-core CPU against rival Quad/Octacore processors is absolutely amazing.

Red Comet

Oh, man, rose gold is so sexy. Gonna go for that if I can snag one on Friday. I'll probably end up getting stuck with boring ass space grey again though.

Hahaha. No copper anything in there. Literally metallic pink.

I'm seeing copper/muted pink, so I'm happy. Metallic, whatever, it's not full-on bright girly-girl pink.

I understood that part of the sentence, but I literally don't understand the "engineered the box to open 7 seconds" part. The actual box the phone comes in? That doesn't make any sense. It can be opened in two seconds or 20 seconds, however long you want it to take. Did they do a focus group test and time people and if it was less or more than 7 seconds, they reconfigured the box to get to 7? I'm honestly curious lol.

Shun

All these leaks and scores have instantaneously reversed my feelings of regret.

This phone is well worth every cent and I honestly cannot wait anymore. I need it. It's doing everything well and holding it's own on a fucking 8core/4GB ram phone.

Fuck... That's all I have left to say.

On the iPhone screen, it'll use that extra resolution so you can zoom into the video and it'll keep the same level of detail

Otherwise, yes, the benefit is watching them on a 4K TV. Or, if you're one for "future proofing," that. It's absolutely not devalued by only being watched on a 1080p cellphone screen

eqmmxai.gif

4K content can look better than 1080p content on a 1080p screen. Look up chroma sub sampling and get back to me.

I finally got them to load, so the 6s's single core is the same speed of the multicore of the 5s, and multicore is twice as fast as the single core.

That's pretty impressive. What types of apps or tasks use single core vs multicore?

I'm seeing copper/muted pink, so I'm happy. Metallic, whatever, it's not full-on bright girly-girl pink.

I understood that part of the sentence, but I literally don't understand the "engineered the box to open 7 seconds" part. The actual box the phone comes in? That doesn't make any sense. It can be opened in two seconds or 20 seconds, however long you want it to take. Did they do a focus group test and time people and if it was less or more than 7 seconds, they reconfigured the box to get to 7? I'm honestly curious lol.

This was something we found out during training. I had several other people back up this statement as I saw it as ridiculous.

Their design team apparently found it to be "the right amount of suction and time to build proper anticipation for when an owner opens the box."

Yeah noticed that too.

I think around 1200/4100 is a good S6 ballpark. When I'm not on my phone I can peruse some old benchmark threads.

The 6s benchmarks are ridiculous. This phone is going to fly. Combined with keeping the same screen res, this thing will breeze through everyday tasks. Definitely jelly.

I wonder if the 7 can make any sort of decent power gains with the A10?

giga

Two things stand out to me:
- They tripled the L2 cache from the A8. Even the A8X only has 2MB of L2.
- 1.8ghz is fastest clock speed ever in an iOS device. The iPhone 6 maxed at 1.4 and the Air 2 at 1.5.

Aurizen

- 1.8ghz is fastest clock speed ever in an iOS device. The iPhone 6 maxed at 1.4 and the Air 2 at 1.5.

whoa! 1.8ghz is huge for apple! very good!

Whoa that is a crazy boost in clock-speed for Apple. Don't even care that it's dual-core, considering how much performance they are getting out of the A9 (can only imagine what the A9X will be like - quad core with 4GB?!). I'm honestly surprised that it is meeting and exceeding iPad Air 2 performance and that we're heading into 1st/2nd gen Core i7 territory. Unbelievable. Makes staying on the S cycle 110% worth it.

Thank god for the 2GB of ram being confirmed as well.

What the...😯😮...😅 this thing is in full beast mode! I have no doubt that the iPad Pro will be able to run desktop-class applications on the A9X.

Guess Who

Banned
If the A9X is a quad or even tri-core version of this it's legit going to be in 13" MacBook Pro territory. Intel should be shitting themselves.

Number45

It really depends on your carrier, plan, and how often you can renew but I've found that iPhones keep a lot of value over their first year, making a yearly change pretty painless. YYMV obviously but it's worth doing the math of frequent upgrades.

Just switch to T-Mobile and always have the latest phones. Never worry about cycles again and let yourself get hyped by new announcements.

Leasing is a wonderful thing when you realize how many devices you can switch between.
UK GAF here. :(

I pay £15/month (off contract) for more than I can ever use including unlimited data (and tethering, currently) so I won't be changing my plan any time soon!. I'm buying outright - I'm sure I won't regret it but either way I'll keep the new phone for at least two years.

Shun

How are you guys comparing the A9 result to early i7s? Is there a benchmark I missed?

I'm sorry if I was over exaggerating but I was just amazed at the single core marks.

It was pretty close to my Sandy Bridge 2nd Gen i7-2620m on my Macbook Pro early 2011 off of the single core #s.

Agram

How is the battery? I'm switching from 4S and that's my only worry. I can't decide between 6S and Xperia Z5 (2-day battery life and better screen).

But I'll miss iOS... Oh, decisions.

I'm sorry if I was over exaggerating but I was just amazed at the single core marks.

It was pretty close to my Sandy Bridge 2nd Gen i7-2620m on my Macbook Pro early 2011 off of the single core #s.

I wasn't being critical, I'm genuinely curious. I do know for a fact that Intel is shitting themselves over the A9/A9X so I was curious about how everyone is comparing the numbers

Number45

How is the battery? I'm switching from 4S and that's my only worry. I can't decide between 6S and Xperia Z5 (2-day battery life and better screen).

But I'll miss iOS... Oh, decisions.
One of the reasons I'll move to the plus version (aside from being amused at how much bigger the screen will be obviously) is to experience the other end of the spectrum as far as charge time goes.

I'm sat at a desk most of the time so it's not a huge problem, but still.

After seeing those scores I'm happier about going form 6 to 6S now, never upgraded after a year before but I was sold on the better camera and the live photos feature.
Hoping that these scores mean the 6S will see me through til at least the iPhone 8 lol.

Kinda on-topic question, do we know how live photos are being treated when they're viewed on a Mac (and I guess iPad)? Or is it just the 6S where the photos will 'come to life'

After seeing those scores I'm happier about going form 6 to 6S now, never upgraded after a year before but I was sold on the better camera and the live photos feature.
Hoping that these scores mean the 6S will see me through til at least the iPhone 8 lol.

Kinda on-topic question, do we know how live photos are being treated when they're viewed on a Mac (and I guess iPad)? Or is it just the 6S where the photos will 'come to life'

We know they'll play on all Apple devices, what I'm curious about is the file format. Like what happens when I send them to someone else who's not on an Apple device? What happens if I try to edit them in Photoshop? That sort of thing

We know they'll play on all Apple devices, what I'm curious about is the file format. Like what happens when I send them to someone else who's not on an Apple device? What happens if I try to edit them in Photoshop? That sort of thing

Likewise I'm also curious to find this stuff out, I assume they'll just revert to the core photo and the other 'frames' will be disregarded. Either way we'll find out Friday, or if the girl who got the Rose Gold phone early tests it beforehand.

Generally speaking, how are the lines for new iPhones at carrier specific stores, like T-Mobile? I didn't preorder, but I'm hoping to pick one up on launch day. I'm also wondering if the 128 GB version will be available in stores, or if it is just online. I'm hearing that was the case last year at T-Mobile.

Red

Likewise I'm also curious to find this stuff out, I assume they'll just revert to the core photo and the other 'frames' will be disregarded. Either way we'll find out Friday, or if the girl who got the Rose Gold phone early tests it beforehand.
I remember seeing somewhere that unsupported devices would treat the sequence as a set of pictures, but I do not recall the source.

Ninja Dom

On the iPhone screen, it'll use that extra resolution so you can zoom into the video and it'll keep the same level of detail

Otherwise, yes, the benefit is watching them on a 4K TV. Or, if you're one for "future proofing," that. It's absolutely not devalued by only being watched on a 1080p cellphone screen

Yes that's the major draw for me of 4K video. Future proofing. I got two daughters and I want to get lots of crisp quality, hi-res video of them now that will still seem crisp quality in maybe 10 years time. My iMac displays 1440p so that will do for now. I'm not planning on buying a 4K display anytime soon.

Nephtis

Does anyone know how the iphone upgrade program works?

Do I need to buy the phone first and later get into the program, or can I do it at time of purchase?

Yes that's the major draw for me of 4K video. Future proofing. I got two daughters and I want to get lots of crisp quality, hi-res video of them now that will still seem crisp quality in maybe 10 years time. My iMac displays 1440p so that will do for now. I'm not planning on buying a 4K display anytime soon.

That's my motivation as well. When you look back on the first digital photos, they're super low resolution, because that was what was available. No reason not to go as high-res as convenient so you can delay that moment of "Wow, this looks terrible" for as long as possible

Does anyone know how the iphone upgrade program works?

Do I need to buy the phone first and later get into the program, or can I do it at time of purchase?

iPhone Upgrade Program is where they take the full price of the phone + AppleCare+, split it into 24 payments (one per month) and bill your credit card each month. It is totally divorced from any carrier (so it's an unlocked phone) as you're paying Apple for the phone. The monthly charge is just for the device, you still have to pay carrier fees and whatnot. If you're currently on a device payment plan through a carrier you can still do the IUP, but it DOES have to be activated on a major carrier, you can't get just the phone no activation with this plan.

It is technically a loan you're getting through a bank Apple has partnered with, so there is a credit check (I was told it's a soft check, looking to confirm that soon). Even though it's 24 payments, after 12 payments you have the option to turn that phone back into Apple, sign up for the program again on the next phone, and keep the cycle going.

They will charge you the first month's payment when you buy the phone and sign up. You can make advance payments or buy out your contract entirely, but there's a 6 month minimum, so you have to make a minimum of 6 months before you can exit. There is a different option called the iPhone Installment Plan which is the same thing but no AppleCare+ and no early upgrade option. It's 24 payments with NO option to buy out the contract early either.

I think that's everything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
apple introduces new higher res screen with weird downscaling, chugs a little. Following year, Apple actually puts the chip inside that is needed to drive it properly.

sounds a bit like when they introduced the retina ipad.

Rootbeer

Banned
apple introduces new higher res screen with weird downscaling, chugs a little. Following year, Apple actually puts the chip inside that is needed to drive it properly.

sounds a bit like when they introduced the retina ipad.

Also: first gen retina macbooks.

Yup this is the cycle. That is why I would never buy a 1st gen Apple watch. At the very earliest I'll buy the 2nd gen model. That's if it can convince me to buy one... so far, still a no.

Nephtis

That's my motivation as well. When you look back on the first digital photos, they're super low resolution, because that was what was available. No reason not to go as high-res as convenient so you can delay that moment of "Wow, this looks terrible" for as long as possible

iPhone Upgrade Program is where they take the full price of the phone + AppleCare+, split it into 24 payments (one per month) and bill your credit card each month. It is totally divorced from any carrier (so it's an unlocked phone) as you're paying Apple for the phone. The monthly charge is just for the device, you still have to pay carrier fees and whatnot. If you're currently on a device payment plan through a carrier you can still do the IUP, but it DOES have to be activated on a major carrier, you can't get just the phone no activation with this plan.

It is technically a loan you're getting through a bank Apple has partnered with, so there is a credit check (I was told it's a soft check, looking to confirm that soon). Even though it's 24 payments, after 12 payments you have the option to turn that phone back into Apple, sign up for the program again on the next phone, and keep the cycle going.

They will charge you the first month's payment when you buy the phone and sign up. You can make advance payments or buy out your contract entirely, but there's a 6 month minimum, so you have to make a minimum of 6 months before you can exit. There is a different option called the iPhone Installment Plan which is the same thing but no AppleCare+ and no early upgrade option. It's 24 payments with NO option to buy out the contract early either.

I think that's everything.

Hmmmm. Do you think it's worth getting into that program? I still owe money on my current device (Note4) and I could pay it off and upgrade through Verizon to get the 6s+, or I could continue to make payments on the note 4 and buy the phone through Apple directly. So I'm pretty unsure as to what to do next.

Hmmmm. Do you think it's worth getting into that program? I still owe money on my current device (Note4) and I could pay it off and upgrade through Verizon to get the 6s+, or I could continue to make payments on the note 4 and buy the phone through Apple directly. So I'm pretty unsure as to what to do next.

I personally am doing the program. For what I'm getting (64GB 6S+) it comes out to about $490 if I exercise that option to get the new phone in 12 months (which of course I will). It's comparable enough for me to buying the phone outright and selling it in a year.

The big advantage over buying it through a carrier is that you're not locked into a carrier contract. You can bounce between carriers every single month if you want to. It turns them into, for lack of a better phrase, dumb pipes who only exist to give you data. Which is fine by me, fuck em.

(Verizon's device payment plan is also total bullshit)

Top Bottom