• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Can anyone recommend some jeans with big pockets? Seems the plus won't be fitting in any of mine :(

You too aren't alone I wonder the same.

Literally anything that isn't skinny jeans.
My 5'2" petite wife has no problems pocketing my 6+.

Every suit, jacket, slacks, jeans, shorts, and cargos I own fit the 6+ just fine.
Even my tight fitting motorcycle jacket didn't have a problem.

You guys wear some crazy small pants. The sooner you get out of that phase the better.

Wreav

Banned

Every suit, jacket, slacks, jeans, shorts, and cargos I own fit the 6+ just fine.

You guys wear some crazy small pants. The sooner you get out of that phase the better.

Worst post is worst.

Talking about phases while wearing cargos in 2015. Ok, John Cena.

Aurizen

lol I actually don't wear skinny jeans at all! haha I was just wondering if they'll be a good fit in my pockets I usually wear Levi Jeans.

Don't think we have to go to criticizing how anyone dresses, lol...

For T-mobile, anyone on the 10GB Unlimited family? It comes out to $100 for two lines plus phone payments on top, are there any better options?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Don't think we have to go to criticizing how we dress, lol...

For T-mobile, anyone on the 10GB Unlimited family? It comes out to $100 for two lines plus phone payments on top, are there any better options?

If you would have checked in last month (or maybe the month before that? My memory sucks) they had 2 lines with truly unlimited everything for $100 per month.

The latest promo you mentioned is still a decent deal. If you are interested in T-Mobile, I would just hop on with the best deal at the time and keep an eye out on the T-mobile subreddit for promo deals that you could switch to. They seem to have a new plan promo every couple months.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
Problem with T-Mobile (at least where I live), is the coverage is so damn awful the premium you pay for Verizon or AT&T ends up being worth it. No sign that it's improved over the past few years either -- generally works well in larger cities, but if you move beyond that it tends to degrade quickly (at least in IL).

I'm part of the naked club and hate putting cases and screen protectors on my phone. A good compromise for me could be this Sena pouch below. I'll probably get it in black. Just something I can slip it in when I'm on the go.

iphone_6_heritage_ultraslim_detail_2_desk_1_3.jpg

Aurizen

Problem with T-Mobile (at least where I live), is the coverage is so damn awful the premium you pay for Verizon or AT&T ends up being worth it. No sign that it's improved over the past few years either -- generally works well in larger cities, but if you move beyond that it tends to degrade quickly (at least in IL).

Tmobile has been working on getting band 12 which is 700 MHZ spectrum with better building penetration. That could be your savior. Not sure if its in IL. they're still rolling it out now as they've just started late last year. The new iphone's do support band 12 LTE though. Check to see if your city has 700 MHZ

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

They have expanded faster than any other carrier the past couple years. It might be worth it to double check. Especially now that T-Mobile will let you test their network for a month at literally no risk.

They refund everything if it doesn't work out for you. Check out the lifetime coverage guarantee here: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/issues-insights-blog/lifetime-coverage-guarantee.htm

LCfiner

meanwhile, I have a few pairs of regular fit Levis and the pockets are shallow. 6 fits just barely OK and 6+ would stick out around an inch. and sitting down would be uncomfortable.

Not every pair of pants has deep pockets for 5.5"+ phones

If you would have checked in last month (or maybe the month before that? My memory sucks) they had 2 lines with truly unlimited everything for $100 per month.

The latest promo you mentioned is still a decent deal. If you are interested in T-Mobile, I would just hop on with the best deal at the time and keep an eye out on the T-mobile subreddit for promo deals that you could switch to. They seem to have a new plan promo every couple months.

Thanks for this reddit tip, that's helpful! So it's just grabbing the best available and rolling with it until you find a better one down the road. Yeah I should be okay with 10GB for now since I don't use too much, but unlimited everything does sound great.

I'm part of the naked club and hate putting cases and screen protectors on my phone. A good compromise for me could be this Sena pouch below. I'll probably get it in black. Just something I can slip it in when I'm on the go.

Read this as Cena pouch, haha.

meanwhile, I have a few pairs of regular fit Levis and the pockets are shallow. 6 fits just barely OK and 6+ would stick out around an inch. and sitting down would be uncomfortable.

Not every pair of pants has deep pockets for 5.5"+ phones

I wear Levi's 511 (men's slim fit), and the phones fit fine in my pockets..

great. they wouldn’t in mine. the point is that some pockets are a bit small for big phones. not all. some. why people try to refute this is beyond me.

I wasn't trying to argue with you. I was just surprised I guess since we wear the same brand, and I wear a slimmer fit. It's weird that they would make smaller pockets between those two particular styles is all.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I wasn't trying to argue with you. I was just surprised I guess since we wear the same brand, and I wear a slimmer fit. It's weird that they would make smaller pockets between those two particular styles is all.

Maybe he is shorter so all his pants have naturally shallow pockets? That's my guess for a lot of these phone too big people. I would imagine with many of them, watching them put a 6+ in their pocket would be the equivalent of watching OJ try on a glove.

I understand preference, but a lot of these physical limitations are overblown for normal pants wearers.

I know Apple generally 'solves for X' with regard to their hardware, but I find it pretty interesting that right now the only portable product of theirs that *doesn't* functionally have "all-day" battery life is the iPhone 6/6S. The 6+/6S+ do, but also so do all of the MacBooks (at this point), the Apple Watch, and all of the iPads. Part of that, of course, is that smartphones generally get more use and have more constant connectivity than basically any other device ever, but I do really wonder when they're gonna finally make *that* aspect of the regular-sized phone 'good enough.'

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I know Apple generally 'solves for X' with regard to their hardware, but I find it pretty interesting that right now the only portable product of theirs that *doesn't* functionally have "all-day" battery life is the iPhone 6/6S. The 6+/6S+ do, but also so do all of the MacBooks (at this point), the Apple Watch, and all of the iPads. Part of that, of course, is that smartphones generally get more use and have more constant connectivity than basically any other device ever, but I do really wonder when they're gonna finally make *that* aspect of the regular-sized phone 'good enough.'

Sadly enough I don't see the market pushing for longer battery life as hard as it should.
Apple and many other manufacturers seem to think people would rather have a thinner device than one with a few more hours of battery life.

Barring a significant advancement in battery technology, I fear things may be this way for a while.

EDIT: Looks like I was able to get my UPS tracking number set up for will-call at my local UPS facility. Should be able to pick that thing up at 9:00am instead of waiting around on delivery.

Shenmue

Banned
That's good to hear. I'm going from a 5s to a 6s+ and all this unwieldy talk scares me a little.

I would still go to a store and hold one in your hands just for the "Hand-feel", but yeah it's a super odd feeling going from a iphone 4 or 5 to a Plus model and then holding a 4 or 5 in your hand again.

I swear you'll feel like the iphone 4 or 5 has shrunk about 10 times smaller than it used to be.

Let us know of any slowdowns on the crazy high downscaled 6S+ resolution.

I just need to hear if it's all-around not a huge piece of useless junk like the current 6+.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Let us know of any slowdowns on the crazy high downscaled 6S+ resolution.

Yeah now that you mention it, my 6 Plus is much more stuttery than my other iProducts. Especially multitasking and apps jar in a rather un-Apple like way. I always thought I had somehow messed up my device, but I guess not. Butter smoothness iPad Air 2 style would make me upgrade in a heartbeat.

Red

Thanks, Erebus.
I'm doing the same now. It's not bad.

@ pics above: I'm noticing way too many compression artifacts. Not a good look at the camera at all.

Despite any compression, these pictures show a pretty good dynamic range. Lots of detail in dark areas, and no blown out highlights.

Purexed

Banned
I don't understand the appeal of CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon.

In my experiment to join Sprint to save some cash on my monthly bill, I discovered the severe limitations of the CDMA tech. For instance, you can't be on a call AND use any applications requiring data like Safari, email, etc. After years of enjoying this benefit, it was a kick in the balls to see Sprint didn't support it and allegedly no other CDMA carriers offer the same due to the constraints. Am

I'm on team TMobile after leaving the ATT and Sprint and the experience has been largely positive. I like the fact they are so aggressive in their pricing and roll out initiatives almost monthly that gives perks and benefits back to customers. WIFI Calling and Mobile Hotspot along with unlimited LTE data across two phones for only $100 is superb value in this market. I know coverage is an issue in some markets, but I get great reception in almost every part of the country I do business in including California, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington, Hawaii, Las Vegas, and while a little spotty, Arizona as well.

Anywaaaaay....I got my tracking information from Tmobile last night, and by Friday I'll have my new pink phone and NBA 2K16 on the same day. Good luck to the rest of ya, seems like a milder launch than usual, so hopefully everyone gets what they're hoping for.

Verizon offers better coverage, Sprint offers lower prices. That's the appeal. I can count on one hand how many times I've wanted to use the net on my phone while on a call while not being home (it works while on WiFi). It's a nice feature, but it's not killer to most people. I can easily see why someone would choose better coverage or lower prices if that's not important to you. That's the only real noticeable disadvantage, and with VoLTE becoming a thing more and more, it probably won't even be one anymore.

Red

Tmobile has been pretty damn good for me so far. The only thing that sucks is where Verizon used to drop to a consistent 1x, Tmobile gets a spotty E connection at best, and often no connection at all. But I am rarely in locations where that matters.

giga

Tmobile has been pretty damn good for me so far. The only thing that sucks is where Verizon used to drop to a consistent 1x, Tmobile gets a spotty E connection at best, and often no connection at all. But I am rarely in locations where that matters.
Band 12 will help that a ton.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Verizon offers better coverage, Sprint offers lower prices. That's the appeal. I can count on one hand how many times I've wanted to use the net on my phone while on a call while not being home (it works while on WiFi). It's a nice feature, but it's not killer to most people. I can easily see why someone would choose better coverage or lower prices if that's not important to you. That's the only real noticeable disadvantage, and with VoLTE becoming a thing more and more, it probably won't even be one anymore.

There are a lot more disadvantages to CDMA carriers. CDMA is garbage tier. It has already been eclipsed and will continue to fall farther behind.

The worst part from my experience is the crazy amount of control it gives a carrier over your device.

With GSM you can swap sims and be good to go. With CDMA the IMEI needs to be whitelisted on the backend for the phone to get service. This sucks because you have to go through the process of whitelisting a phone or procuring it through authorized Verizon channels.

For somebody like myself that switches devices pretty often and gets the itch to try interesting Chinese phones when they come out, this is a game killer. It makes CDMA not even on the table when considering options. If I want more coverage ATT is the only other option since they are GSM.

Getting scared because T-Mobile says my sister's iPhone is being processed still and she's really excited to get it Friday. Mine shipped Sunday but they're all being shipped to separate areas.

I don't understand the appeal of CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon.

In my experiment to join Sprint to save some cash on my monthly bill, I discovered the severe limitations of the CDMA tech. For instance, you can't be on a call AND use any applications requiring data like Safari, email, etc. After years of enjoying this benefit, it was a kick in the balls to see Sprint didn't support it and allegedly no other CDMA carriers offer the same due to the constraints. Am

I'm on team TMobile after leaving the ATT and Sprint and the experience has been largely positive. I like the fact they are so aggressive in their pricing and roll out initiatives almost monthly that gives perks and benefits back to customers. WIFI Calling and Mobile Hotspot along with unlimited LTE data across two phones for only $100 is superb value in this market. I know coverage is an issue in some markets, but I get great reception in almost every part of the country I do business in including California, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington, Hawaii, Las Vegas, and while a little spotty, Arizona as well.

Anywaaaaay....I got my tracking information from Tmobile last night, and by Friday I'll have my new pink phone and NBA 2K16 on the same day. Good luck to the rest of ya, seems like a milder launch than usual, so hopefully everyone gets what they're hoping for.

the constraint is purely in the antenna setup of the device. nowadays, newer devices don't support it because Verizon and Sprint are planning to roll VoLTE where that won't be an issue, but years ago, many Windows Phone and Android devices had antenna diversity setups that allowed simultaneous voice and data.

SUPARSTARX

Mmm Tmobile giving out tracking numbers for the phone. But I think they're gonna hold it until Wednesday/Thursday to really send out. :(

TheZink

Just got my AppleCare email with my phones serial number but it still hasn't shipped. 😁 I guess it'll be on it's way soon.

Top Bottom