• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - Oct 4th, 2011 - iPhone!!! iPhone!!! Party Time!!! Excellent!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaskade

Wow, I can actually use my student email and get a discount on att. It seems like they don't discount texting though. I'd save like 10 bucks total with voice and data. Is there really only no texting or unlimited texting? What happened to the 1000 msg option. I never would go over that, especially with imessage.

Somnid

I'm not liking Apple's approach to the iPod. Essentially they seem to be killing it. In some ways this is understandable, Phones make more money and are more popular. Still, as a consumer I don't like the fact that they seem to be getting closer to the networks. iPod Touch was the last real device free from networks and if it goes all we're left with is disgusting 2 year contracts from draconian buisnessmen for any handheld-level hardware. At this rate I'll probably be moving more into the Amazon camp as small tablets are pretty much the best I can hope for.

While it's still a little unknown what looks to be iPod nano and the 4S exclusive software features is infuriating. The Nano got little more than a firmware upgrade and if previous nanos don't get it that will be pretty bad on Apple's part. The same is true of Siri. iOS5 in general is underwhelming as an update, it's half a fix for plaguing problems that should have been taken care of much earlier like tethering and messaging. And the other half is useless like another IM platform and Twitter integration. Siri could have been a great addition to the whole line of Apple devices but it seems like they opted to make it an exclusive feature. What's troubling is that it's not a hardware issue, given the fact they have their iCloud which apparently does nothing other than store iTunes info and some photos you'd think they could put it to work doing processing even if it was an issue (which I kinda doubt it'd be so painful even on an A4). In this sense my iPod Touch, already the bastard child just to make the phones look better, is just going to lose even more.

I seems the things I want Apple can't deliver anymore and what's worse is the rest of the market is even shittier about it. I can't say I'm very happy with all this.

Tobor

Technosteve said:
I would hope so, we can call him Clippy X

The grand irony is that Bill Gates had the right idea with Microsoft Bob and Clippy, it was just way ahead of it's time and had a complete lack of style.

RBH

AT&T is launching a new app later today to help existing iPhone owners preorder the iPhone 4S. Preorders start this Friday, October 7.

The app, called AT&T Upgrader, informs customers if they are upgrade eligible, what the new iPhone will cost, and let's them place their preorder.

Non-iPhone AT&T customers who want to preorder can visit AT&T's iPhone Upgrade page at www.att.com/phoneupgrade. Both Verizon and AT&T customers can also check upgrade eligibility on Apple's website.

AT&T already offers a number of apps, including myAT&T to view and manage AT&T accounts, and AT&T Mark The Spot which allows users to report dead zones and dropped calls directly to AT&T's network operations team.

AT&T Upgrader will be available on the App Store later today.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/att-upgrader-app-lets-iphone-owners-preorder-from-their-phones/

RBH said:
YAY now at least I have another option if the Apple online store goes down in flames
grin.gif

Somnid said:
I'm not liking Apple's approach to the iPod. Essentially they seem to be killing it. In some ways this is understandable, Phones make more money and are more popular. Still, as a consumer I don't like the fact that they seem to be getting closer to the networks. iPod Touch was the last real device free from networks and if it goes all we're left with is disgusting 2 year contracts from draconian buisnessmen for any handheld-level hardware. At this rate I'll probably be moving more into the Amazon camp as small tablets are pretty much the best I can hope for.

While it's still a little unknown what looks to be iPod nano and the 4S exclusive software features is infuriating. The Nano got little more than a firmware upgrade and if previous nanos don't get it that will be pretty bad on Apple's part. The same is true of Siri. iOS5 in general is underwhelming as an update, it's half a fix for plaguing problems that should have been taken care of much earlier like tethering and messaging. And the other half is useless like another IM platform and Twitter integration. Siri could have been a great addition to the whole line of Apple devices but it seems like they opted to make it an exclusive feature. What's troubling is that it's not a hardware issue, given the fact they have their iCloud which apparently does nothing other than store iTunes info and some photos you'd think they could put it to work doing processing even if it was an issue (which I kinda doubt it'd be so painful even on an A4). In this sense my iPod Touch, already the bastard child just to make the phones look better, is just going to lose even more.

I seems the things I want Apple can't deliver anymore and what's worse is the rest of the market is even shittier about it. I can't say I'm very happy with all this.

You should seek some help.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
But seriously, how hard would it have been for Apple to update the casing after 18 fucking months?

I mean, it would have cut down 99% of the bitching that the phone is a small update, as it looks 100% identical from the outside- even though so much has changed internally and on the software front. It's a large hardware update, but Apple didn't do themselves any favors by not touching the external design after so long. Everyone would have been happy. And yes, as superficial as it may seem, after owning a phone for a year and a half, I'm not exactly enthused about the prospect about putting a large chunk of cash down and replacing it with something that is physically identical. They could have slightly updated the design and enlarged the screen size a bit, and I would have been in heaven, as would most people. I didn't think, for the richest company on the planet, this would have been such a tough thing to do after close to 1.5 years.
Not only did the production pipeline get mentioned already, but nobody dropped a huge shit fit when the 3GS came out looking like the 3G.

Somnid said:

Old tech dies. This isn't news.

Somnid

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You should seek some help.

You know I wouldn't be surprised if disappointment was labeled a disease.

But seriously, it's rather frustrating to watch them stop delivering just because nobody else is delivering.

Tobor said:
The grand irony is that Bill Gates had the right idea with Microsoft Bob and Clippy, it was just way ahead of it's time and had a complete lack of style.
I can't wait for smart people to intergrate it in to solve splitting a check with tip.

Sirii how much do i have to pay if i am splitting dinner with 6 people if the bill is 400 Euros, in US dollars with tip.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Speaking of Nav, did anyone else notice in the video when they showed the Maps app the navigation path was labeled "Route 1" or something. That seems to indicate that the map might have improved in some way and that is capable of finding alternative routes to destinations.
Yes, that is a new and incredibly useful feature of iOS 5. Multiple routes show up on Maps and you can select whichever one you want. Saved my family and I about an hour in traffic driving to LA from San Diego.

border

VPhys said:
With Sprint can't you just buy their insurance for $8/month?
Ninja Scooter said:
$8 X 24 months=$192

Sprint's insurance is a little bit more expensive than AppleCare, but it protects you against loss and theft. Not only that, but you pay it over time rather than being forced to shell out $100 up front. I think the added protection is worth the extra money.

Can you cancel the insurance? If so, I'd probably just cancel after I'm eligible for an upgrade, and then buy the new iPhone 5 (or will it be 6?) if anything happens to the phone.

Applecare is cheaper if nothing happens to your phone, but you're up shit creek if it gets stolen. If it gets lost/stolen on Sprint's insurance then you just cough up a $100 deductible and you're back in business.

If you don't know what the fuck you're doing with your phone then AppleCare will get you software-related tech support.....but if you're a power user and don't mind just going online to resolve software issues, I think carrier-provided insurance is the way to go. But then again I suspect power-users may prefer Android anyhow.

Jasoco

Banned
lunarworks said:
Pretty amazing prediction.

I wonder if Siri's going to make it into Mac OS X at some point.
OS X's voice recognition could really use some sprucing up. As long as it no longer requires that stupid floating metal circle thing on screen while active.

3GS owner here. I'm stoked. I was eligible to upgrade to iPhone 4 in February, but that would have been retarded. So this thing is perfect for me. I waited going from iPhone OG to 3GS and was happy with that. I'm glad I waited again. I guess I will always have the "S" (aka definitive) version of each iPhone.

Cipherr

If you all speak with your Fire insurance agent you can get solid policies with excellent coverage for much cheaper than the shit the carriers sell.

Just saying, I know its convenient and all, but getting your cellphone as a rider on an existing policy saves you a shitload. I'm not terribly sure why this isn't more widely known. Most of the ones through carriers and the like are terrible and cost to much.

It's only logical they'll bring Siri to the iPad, and eventually iPod Touch. The question is when. They obviously will want to keep it exclusive to the 4S for now to give it the limelight.

KtSlime

Somnid said:

I don't think the Touch is quite dead yet. While they didn't update it now, perhaps they will push the update further back.

The schedule for last year was iPad -> iPhone -> iPod Touch. Each a few months apart, and they could use the time to increase chip yields, shrink the die, and reduce costs. Surely releasing a brand new A5 powered iPod Touch at the same time as the iPhone 4S could prove to be poor business, they need that lead time to reduce costs, and since the iPhone 4S and the Touch would be competing for the same chips, it makes no sense to lose sales by making more Touches at the expense of fewer iPhones, especially considering that the iPhone will be impossible to keep in stock, but the Touches are always in abundance.

As to Siri being specific to the iPhone4S, yeah, that kind of sucks, I can relate with you in that "if Apple wanted to give my iPhone4 a free upgrade to Siri, I'd take it". However, as I stated before, due to Apple's R&D accounting that is not possible. The iPhone4S project contained the budget for purchasing and refining the Siri software. To make back the money they spent they have to sell iPhone4S' not, iPad2's, not iPhone4's. We've known for a while that this is how Apple runs their business and their product R&D, it is surprising that people throw a fit every time though.

If you want to try and get Siri working on another iOS device I am sure no one will stop you, but do know that by doing that you are not paying for it, and that you already received the features you paid for.

border

Cipherr said:
If you all speak with your Fire insurance agent you can get solid policies with excellent coverage for much cheaper than the shit the carriers sell.

Just saying, I know its convenient and all, but getting your cellphone as a rider on an existing policy saves you a shitload.

I don't have a Fire Insurance Agent, or a Home-Owner's policy since I rent my apartment. Any suggestions?

I think you're on the right track though -- I'm not sure why Best Buy can sell $50-60 product replacement plans on mega-expensive TVs but carriers can't insure a $500 phone for less than $200 over two years.

Juice

WordAssassin said:
Not only did the production pipeline get mentioned already, but nobody dropped a huge shit fit when the 3GS came out looking like the 3G.
Are you kidding? Many of us in that thread were livid.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Juice said:
Are you kidding? Many of us in that thread were livid.
Yeah, the phone I'm typing this on right now was purchased because of that awful plastic shell.

gimz

wait, so the new clock face only comes with new ipod nano? that means i can't download it to my (older) ipod nano touch??

gimz said:
wait, so the new clock face only comes with new ipod nano? that means i can't download it to my (older) ipod nano touch??
No, it's available in a software update for everyone else. Literally NOTHING happened to the iPod line this year other than a white iPod Touch and some price cuts. As I said earlier in the thread, 2012 is going to be insane for iOS products. Updates to everything will be rampant.

RaidenZR

This is going to be my first smartphone/iphone and I'm planning to pre-order on Friday. To anyone with past experience, if I preorder through Apple's site, will October 14th be the date I should expect it to arrive in the mail or the date it will ship? I have a trip that weekend and I'm just wondering if it has a chance of arriving prior.

RaidenZR said:
This is going to be my first smartphone/iphone and I'm planning to pre-order on Friday. To anyone with past experience, if I preorder through Apple's site, will October 14th be the date I should expect it to arrive in the mail or the date it will ship? I have a trip that weekend and I'm just wondering if it has a chance of arriving prior.
Unless there's some kind of trouble with the post it'll get there that day. I always camp out for new iOS stuff, but I've been through each iPhone/iPad launch and not only do people typically get them day-of, some of them even get their products a day or so early.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Gamer @ Heart said:
Has there been confirmation that they will still be making ipod classics?
No one mentioned anything about it... but they're still on the store.

Australian phone company Vodafone is ringing up their customers and offering iPhone 4 upgrades to unwitting customers who haven't heard about the iPhone 4S. A few dim girls on FaceBook just got conned are are feeling pretty stupid/upset.

Vodafone are cunts.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kermit The Dog said:
Australian phone company Vodafone is ringing up their customers and offering iPhone 4 upgrades to unwitting customers who haven't heard about the iPhone 4S. A few dim girls on FaceBook just got conned are are feeling pretty stupid/upset.

Vodafone are cunts.
They're still going to be selling the 4 for years now. I don't see how it's a con. When someone sells something you can always say "no".

Kermit The Dog said:

Vodafone are cunts.
Wow, that's pretty low, wouldn't they want to, you know, sell them the newer, more expensive phone?

noah111

Still Alive
Jasoco said:
OS X's voice recognition could really use some sprucing up. As long as it no longer requires that stupid floating metal circle thing on screen while active.
Yeah, I can't fucking believe that horrible graphic is still in Lion. Siri in Snow Lion or w/e would be awesome.

gimz

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Some of these are actually very cool.
Just how practical is it to wear a Nano as a watch?
i havent' been syncing my ipod for update for a long time, i guess its the time for me to organize my music library on my ipod

Sofo

WordAssassin said:
Wow, that's pretty low, wouldn't they want to, you know, sell them the newer, more expensive phone?
I assume they're clearing stock. Also, if you get an "old" model while the brand new one just came out, wouldn't you want to upgrade as soon as possible?

Nero3000

Nero3000 said:
My predictions for tomorrow:

iPod Stuff:

- Discontinued iPod classic Yep
- update iPod Touch (A5, increased RAM, no design change) Was too generous here
- More nano colours Yep - Maybe didnt check

iPhone Stuff:

- iPhone 4S Yep
- Same external design, same screen etc. Yep
- Downclocked A5 Yep
- Only one GPU core (comapred to 2 in the iPad2) Was wrong, they put 2
- 8MP back-lit camera Yep
- 1080p recording Yep
- release by end of month in major markets Yep
- 32GB/64GB @ $649.00/$749.00 ($199/$299 on contract) Was too generous here
- iPhone 4 16 GB @ $549.00 ($99 on contract)Was too generous here
- [Far fetched]
Dedicated 2-stage camera button
Nope :(

iOS 5 Stuff:

- GM developer release today, with GA within 2 weeksYep
- Too many application demos that go on for far too longNo! :D
- Assistant for iPhone 4S/iPad 2. (everyone will rave about it, 90% will never use it again)Yep but not ipad 2 for some reason
- One more built in application from apple, no idea what.Yep - Cards

Other Stuff:

- [Far fetched]
Facetime client for Windows
- [Far fetched]
Bluetooth headphones

All in all, a good days work.

rezuth

Tobor said:
Pretty much everyone has had that idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Navigator

Somnid said:
I'm not liking Apple's approach to the iPod. Essentially they seem to be killing it.
No, they are temporarily halting progress on it as they probably can't scale the economics yet. Instead they are opting for some flashy new feature like a white iPod Touch and new Clock faces etc.

While it's still a little unknown what looks to be iPod nano and the 4S exclusive software features is infuriating. The Nano got little more than a firmware upgrade and if previous nanos don't get it that will be pretty bad on Apple's part.
Whats infuriating about something being exclusive to a much faster platform?

The same is true of Siri. iOS5 in general is underwhelming as an update, it's half a fix for plaguing problems that should have been taken care of much earlier like tethering and messaging. And the other half is useless like another IM platform and Twitter integration.
iOS5 is a great update, I don't know what kind of expectations you had. You wanted them to completely rewrite the OS from scratch? The additions they have done are the stuff people wanted mostly. They have listened to what businesses and people want with this update. Stuff like messages are a major reason why companies still hold onto their BB phones.

Siri could have been a great addition to the whole line of Apple devices but it seems like they opted to make it an exclusive feature.
Siri is going to take a lot of resources and even you most understand why the iPod Nano couldn't run it. I'm sure its coming to Lion or the OS, I mean hell we don't even have iCloud yet on OS X.

What's troubling is that it's not a hardware issue, given the fact they have their iCloud which apparently does nothing other than store iTunes info and some photos you'd think they could put it to work doing processing even if it was an issue (which I kinda doubt it'd be so painful even on an A4).
iCloud not only stores photos, music, video etc but it also gives developers some cloud storage to work with.

In this sense my iPod Touch, already the bastard child just to make the phones look better, is just going to lose even more.
Lose more on what?

Apple is delivering just as they have before. I don't see why people expect them to rush out half-assed products.

ElectricBlue187 said:
There's no excuse for the Maps app being the same in iOS5. At this point it would be better if it just opened Google Maps in Safari.
It isn't the same. There may not be voice navigation yet but Maps in iOS 5 is greatly improved. Just the fact that it now supports multiple routes is worth it. You can also print your maps/routes directly from the app now, but I'm not sure if that's a new feature or not. I've just personally never noticed it before.

LCfiner

WordAssassin said:
It isn't the same. There may not be voice navigation yet but Maps in iOS 5 is greatly improved. Just the fact that it now supports multiple routes is worth it. You can also print your maps/routes directly from the app now, but I'm not sure if that's a new feature or not. I've just personally never noticed it before.

eh, I’d debate that phrasing. multiple routes is OK but the app hasn’t been updated in any other way. people who need turn by turn with voice on iOS still need a third party app.

Meier

Dreams-Visions said:
Event title: "Let's talk about iPhone"

*watches video of event...and they talk about iPhone*

so what's the problem?
Lol, talk about blinders. The event title indicated that iPhone would be the main focus and yet they spent more time on other things. Let's not kid ourselves. It was a disingenuous title and a poor showing on the whole.

Meier said:
Lol, talk about blinders. The event title indicated that iPhone would be the main focus and yet they spent more time on other things. Let's not kid ourselves. It was a disingenuous title and a poor showing on the whole.

Considering the event was mostly about iOS 5 (Which runs on iPhone), iCloud (and it's iPhone features), the new 4S, and Siri (which runs on iPhone!) I'd say that the majority of the time talking about iPhone.

The title was fine, and if they had done all these updates to the iPhone, plus spiffed up the case some, people wouldn't be whining about it today.

Pazuzu9 said:
Earth to thread.

Why are people still unsure about a 5? The cases are already floating about. This is not an iPhone 4 case with better cameras and the iPad 2 chip in it. This is what Jobs would like to call 'an all-new design'.

It looks like a mini iPad 2. It's an iPhone 5.

lol

Meier

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Considering the event was mostly about iOS 5 (Which runs on iPhone), iCloud (and it's iPhone features), the new 4S, and Siri (which runs on iPhone!) I'd say that the majority of the time talking about iPhone.

The title was fine, and if they had done all these updates to the iPhone, plus spiffed up the case some, people wouldn't be whining about it today.
Sorry, that's not how it works. iOS 5 and iCloud had already been discussed ad nauseaum at an event devoted to them and are not "about iPhone." The iPhone plays music too but that doesnt make an iPod event about it in turn. The iPhone portion of the event started when the 4S was unveiled.

They dropped the ball by not showing the iPhone 5 and only the most overzealous of individuals would agree. It's obvious that the original plan was to do so but they decided not to due to the manufacturing issues or whatever else caused the delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom