• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - Oct 4th, 2011 - iPhone!!! iPhone!!! Party Time!!! Excellent!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sruckus

ColonialRaptor said:
Wow, this might be the first new iPhone upgrade that I don't jump on straight away!

Same, but it's not like I could afford it anyway right now. I am so poor thanks to wanting to live somewhere that's not a total dump (and it's not even that nice!).

Stylo

I'm looking to get my first smartphone (upgrading from the dreadful RIM operated Blackberry Curve xP). I can't decide between an iPhone and an Android smartphone. I just need some pointers. Why should I buy an iphone over a droid?

Thirteen

Neo Member
how much RAM does the 4S have? Pretty sure I saw 512mb on gsmarena earlier but now thats gone and i'm reading in several articles that it's 1 GB.

I don't think I heard them say anything about the RAM in the keynote.

Tobor

homing said:
how much RAM does the 4S have? Pretty sure I saw 512mb on gsmarena earlier but now thats gone and i'm reading in several articles that it's 1 GB.

Apple never discusses RAM. They never discuss anything spec wise beyond the really simple stuff like "Dual Core" or "9x better".

You'll have to wait for a teardown for confirmation.

homing said:

As far as I know no one knows yet.

RBH

Siri and the improved camera are nice additions, but I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4.

Looking forward to seeing what comes next in 2012 when my contract ends.

I don't feel one ounce of jealously nor did I feel excited or impressed by iPhone 4S. I will stick to my iPhone 4 for a while to come. I really can't see any point in upgrading what so ever.

Team iPhone Fo.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
RBH said:
Siri and the improved camera are nice additions, but I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4.

Looking forward to seeing what comes next in 2012 when my contract ends.
jonnybryce said:
I don't feel one ounce of jealously nor did I feel excited or impressed by iPhone 4S. I will stick to my iPhone 4 for a while to come. I really can't see any point in upgrading what so ever.

Team iPhone Fo.
As a former iphone 3G owner I say - be careful what you say now. Last time apple released an "s" version of their phone with a complementary OS the previous Gen phone became basically an unusable piece of crap.

Nerevar said:
As a former iphone 3G owner I say - be careful what you say now. Last time apple released an "s" version of their phone with a complementary OS the previous Gen phone became basically an unusable piece of crap.
Thankfully iOS 5 runs smooth as butter on the 4. :)

hyp

Stylo said:
I'm looking to get my first smartphone (upgrading from the dreadful RIM operated Blackberry Curve xP). I can't decide between an iPhone and an Android smartphone. I just need some pointers. Why should I buy an iphone over a droid?
the app store. period.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Treefingers said:
Until iOS 5.1 comes out!

It's a good phone for iPhone 3 holders to upgrade from, but the spec bump from 4 to 4S is pitiful really!

The A5 processor is surely great, anda better camera is also surely a good thing, but that's about it? Are you shitting me Apple?

Problem is, I'm bound to end up upgrading to the new phone as it is... What is the BEST phone available tech wise these days? My problem is that I'm so grounded into the iPhone app infrastructure and it feels crazy to change phone provider simply because I would be losing thousands of dollars that I've invested in apps, so it's never going to happen, it's just so disappointing that they would put out such a half arsed thing in this day and age, seriously it is a MAJOR disappointment, the smartphone is one of the most versatile and important things in people's lives these days and it's not even LTE. That is crazy!

Watching the Keynote now. (Streaming to my TV from my iPad to my AppleTV!) and when taken as a whole, that is to say iOS 5, iCloud, Siri, and the upgraded hardware, this is really going to be a nice jump for me going from the 3GS to the 4S.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one, even though I'll be in Costa Rica on Friday when the pre-orders begin. I may try to get online to place my order, but may not have the chance until I get home on Sunday. Won't be able to wait in line on the 14th either, so I may have to wait a bit before I get my upgrade.

CyReN

Tried going down to my Sprint store and they don't have any info til Friday.

So is it worth the switch after 1 year with the HTC Evo? I have Sprint right now, Evo battery is killing me.

RubxQub

N Coward Parody said:
Yes, but where does the 3GS stand? :( Anyone have any insight? Is it sluggish as all get out?
Not even good enough to skip across a pond. They're giving them shits away! 4S! 4S! 4S!

Treefingers said:
It does? Because that would be the only thing that would kill the 4 for me, I've always felt like the OS upgrades have been an apple conspiracy and that they deliberately make them run shit so that it forced people to get pissed at their old phone and want to upgrade to the new one.

On that note, is it possible to install GM now? What is the release date of OS5? I was hoping like shit it would have been today, it's hella disappointing that they've been so dan slow this time around, poor form apple. Poor form. Let the comments about Apple going down the toilet without Steve Jobs at the head begin.

ColonialRaptor said:
It's a good phone for iPhone 3 holders to upgrade from, but the spec bump from 4 to 4S is pitiful really!

Dude, you're committed to a 2-year contract. The vast majority of people are willing to wait out the remainder of their contracts until getting a new phone instead of paying the non-contract price. This phone is designed to attract new customers and people on the 3GS or prior, not tech junkies who get twitchy at the thought of having the same phone for more than 16 months...

RubxQub said:
Not even good enough to skip across a pond. They're giving them shits away! 4S! 4S! 4S!
Yeah I know I own one of the lovely little guys. His time may be coming to an end, but I'm wondering how well the 3GS runs iOS5. Maybe, just maybe, I can wait it out...

Tobor

N Coward Parody said:
Dude, you're committed to a 2-year contract. The vast majority of people are willing to wait out the remainder of their contracts until getting a new phone instead of paying the non-contract price. This phone is designed to attract new customers and people on the 3GS or prior, not tech junkies who get twitchy at the thought of having the same phone for more than 16 months...

Not to mention the bazillion people in the world who still haven't purchased a smart phone at all.

N Coward Parody said:
Yes, but where does the 3GS stand? :( Anyone have any insight? Is it sluggish as all get out?
Mute your sound before you watch this comparison video

ColonialRaptor said:
On that note, is it possible to install GM now? What is the release date of OS5? I was hoping like shit it would have been today, it's hella disappointing that they've been so dan slow this time around, poor form apple. Poor form. Let the comments about Apple going down the toilet without Steve Jobs at the head begin.
Release date is October 12. Yes you can install the GM right now without a developer account. Head over to the iOS 5 Beta thread.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
cooljeanius said:
So seeing as they didn't announce new iPod Touches, should I just go ahead and get one now anyway? Or should I keep waiting?
They did announce new iPod Touches... white ones.

And a new price.

That is this years update. Unless you're gonna wait another year, jump in now.

cooljeanius said:
So seeing as they didn't announce new iPod Touches, should I just go ahead and get one now anyway? Or should I keep waiting?
You'd probably be better off getting an unlocked 4 or 3GS somewhere. Touch is ancient tech at this point.

cjelly said:
They did announce new iPod Touches... white ones.

And a new price.

That is this years update. Unless you're gonna wait another year, jump in now.
Really? I missed that part. What's the new price?

ElectricBlue187 said:
You'd probably be better off getting an unlocked 4 or 3GS somewhere. Touch is ancient tech at this point.
I don't want to have to pay all the extra charges associated with having a cell phone.

Sean

Banned
cooljeanius said:
Really? I missed that part. What's the new price?

I don't want to have to pay all the extra charges associated with having a cell phone.

iPod Touch went from $229 down to $199, so 30 dollar drop.

kaskade

It seems like the plans are all pretty equal in price coming to about 80 bucks. In reality it's probably over 90 with all the charges. I don't really want to spend that much on a phone. I wish they would do a cheaper voice plan. Like a 20 dollar 100 minute plan or something. They already fuck us enough with texting. texting should just be included with the data plan.

kaskade said:
It seems like the plans are all pretty equal in price coming to about 80 bucks. In reality it's probably over 90 with all the charges. I don't really want to spend that much on a phone. I wish they would do a cheaper voice plan. Like a 20 dollar 100 minute plan or something. They already fuck us enough with texting. texting should just be included with the data plan.
I want a plan that's just unlimited data, no voice or texting. And I want it less than $50

Tobor

kaskade said:

I would love to reduce my voice minutes further. 100 minutes would be perfect...which is exactly why they don't offer it. Too many people would take them up on it.

RubxQub

Which brings me to the question: who is reducing/removing their texting plan?!

Tobor

RubxQub said:
Which brings me to the question: who is reducing/removing their texting plan?!

Mine's already at 200 texts, so I can't go any lower. The good news is that I've gone over in the past, and thought about increasing to 1000, or unlimited, but now I won't have to.

CyReN said:
Tried going down to my Sprint store and they don't have any info til Friday.

So is it worth the switch after 1 year with the HTC Evo? I have Sprint right now, Evo battery is killing me.

This is the move I'm making. Between the battery and screen lag/sluggishness, I'm ready for something new. I still love Android, but it's time for something new. I'm a little hesitant because of the difference in screen size, but I don't think I watch enough movies etc. on it to make it a big issue.

njean777

Will most likely cancel my service with ATT and go with Sprint, I fucking hate giving ATT my money after the piss poor customer service I was given about trying to get a micro cell for my home. Not to mention them not expanding their network and trying to buy out T-mobile. So fuck em, I am going to Sprint come January-Febuary

kaskade

Tobor said:
I would love to reduce my voice minutes further. 100 minutes would be perfect...which is exactly why they don't offer it. Too many people would take them up on it.
Exactly. I wish they would do some sort of student plan, like 50 bucks. They don't give a shit about what we want though.

aparisi2274

njean777 said:
Will most likely cancel my service with ATT and go with Sprint, I fucking hate giving ATT my money after the piss poor customer service I was given about trying to get a micro cell for my home. Not to mention them not expanding their network and trying to buy out T-mobile. So fuck em, I am going to Sprint come January-Febuary

If you think AT&T has piss poor Customer service, wait until you deal with Sprint. They are consistently voted as having the worst customer service among the 3 carriers.

Finished watching the keynote a short time ago. Siri is really impressive stuff. Reading about it was one thing, but seeing it live is another. It looks far more useful than any other voice recognition system I've seen in a phone before. If only it gave turn by turn navigation when you asked for it.

Speaking of Nav, did anyone else notice in the video when they showed the Maps app the navigation path was labeled "Route 1" or something. That seems to indicate that the map might have improved in some way and that is capable of finding alternative routes to destinations.

Weenerz

Banned
Currently have the Samsung Captivate and will be moving back to the iOS fold next Friday. And starting Saturday, I will start saving for the inevitable unsubsidized purchase of the iphone 5 next year :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom