• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to put USB-C connectors in iPhones to comply with EU rules

Raonak

Banned
Thank fuck. The fact that mac's use usbc is reason enough. The fact that iphone chargers are usbc on one end and lightning on the other is reason enough.

Iphones have no reason to avoid usbc when everything else including other apple products use usbc.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Apple depends on TSMC and ASML for it's N3 chips. Remember that Apple has no Fabs.
And Apple is not the only N3 client.

TSMC has Seven Major Customers Lined Up for its 3 nm Node

Apple depend on them for chip manufacture but design the chips far better than anyone else at the moment their a league ahead and only been at it for how long now?

This would of been hard partnership to break, and it should of been broken at one point if things hadn’t changed.. if Apple could set up manufacturing in the US instead of everyone being so reliant on Taiwan development? That’s something we all could of championed. Which I have no doubt was probably floated at some point, or a buyout of TSMC forcing the issue to bring a plant to the USA.

Guess asking nicely to setup manufacturing in Arizona worked just as well however.

Last thing anyone needs is one organised strike on a single country wiping out the worlds ability to produce chips for years, we would end up back in the dark ages.

winjer

Gold Member
Apple depend on them for chip manufacture but design the chips far better than anyone else at the moment their a league ahead and only been at it for how long now?

This would of been hard partnership to break, and it should of been broken at one point if things hadn’t changed.. if Apple could set up manufacturing in the US instead of everyone being so reliant on Taiwan development? That’s something we all could of championed. Which I have no doubt was probably floated at some point, or a buyout of TSMC forcing the issue to bring a plant to the USA.

Guess asking nicely to setup manufacturing in Arizona worked just as well however.

Last thing anyone needs is one organised strike on a single country wiping out the worlds ability to produce chips for years, we would end up back in the dark ages.

Read my posts, and you you'll find I didn't contest Apple's capability to design chips.
I only contested the manufacturing.

a) I wish they made an apple mini pencil and a galaxy ultra/note type phone (you can put the pencil in the pencil slot) :messenger_confused:

b) it would be cool if they made an iPhone fold also with an apple mini pencil.

c) will the front camera/sensor finally be a punch whole design?

chromhound

akaHvs0.jpg

daveonezero

Banned
a) I wish they made an apple mini pencil and a galaxy ultra/note type phone (you can put the pencil in the pencil slot) :messenger_confused:

b) it would be cool if they made an iPhone fold also with an apple mini pencil.

c) will the front camera/sensor finally be a punch whole design?
Just ask the EU to make apple creat these things.

j can’t wait will IPhones have charging ports break and you need a new system board to do the replacement.

Lightning is more durable than USBC just by its shape alone.

Source: https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2022/oct/26/iphone-usb-c-lightning-connectors-apple-eu-rules

5088.jpg

Apple will ditch the Lightning connector on its iPhones, the company has confirmed, after European regulators decided all smartphones should have USB charging as standard in two years’ time.

New EU rules require all phones sold after autumn 2024 to use the USB-C connector for their charging ports. The oval-shaped plugs are already standard on other consumer electronics such as e-readers, games consoles, laptops and the vast majority of new Android phones.

So....

That means that the poorer companies still using Micro-Usb are hosed?

"
Poorer companies? What android phone maker in Europe still uses Micro-Usb? What are you even arguing?

Arguing?

I just asked a simple question. There are still phones being sold using micro-usb.

But I guess the last holdouts will finally be flushed out. For the better, USB C is more reliable and charges faster.

Last edited:
Which new phones are still using Mico USB in Europe in 2023?

The year just started, I meant generally, for example, a recent phone like the 2022 Nokia C21 plus has a Micro Usb, some cheaper brands have it too, but for 2023 after this news, if there are any companies still planning on releasing Micro USB (if there wasn't some released already 2023) ports on their phones left, they will be the last. At least in Europe.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Yep. That's what MKBHD was saying in that video too. We all know wireless is the future and the EU law allows for no USB-C as long as there is no wired charging. Though truthfully, I think it's fucking stupid to require USB-C, as it does stifle innovation. Add in the various protocols USB-C can come in, and it makes less useful than it might originally appear.
The connector and underlying spec are 2 different things. The USB spec can continue to be upgraded and improved while utilizing USB-C connection type which would reduce e-waste if every device you use has that connection type.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Magsafe charges slower than wired and leads to wireless data transmission which is much slower and less secure.
My phone charges at my desk. Neither of those matter to me. I don't transfer files or other data from my phone because I'm not a caveman.
The connector and underlying spec are 2 different things. The USB spec can continue to be upgraded and improved while utilizing USB-C connection type which would reduce e-waste if every device you use has that connection type.
So now I have to throw away all of my existing cables and transition to the new ones? Sounds wasteful to me.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

My phone charges at my desk. Neither of those matter to me. I don't transfer files or other data from my phone because I'm not a caveman.

So now I have to throw away all of my existing cables and transition to the new ones? Sounds wasteful to me.
Lots of people already have USB-C already for other devices and the idea is it is one last transition. Lightning is a crappy, out of date proprietary standard anyways.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Lots of people already have USB-C already for other devices and the idea is it is one last transition. Lightning is a crappy, out of date proprietary standard anyways.
The only devices in my house that use USB C are my iPad and my MacBook. I don't care what other people use. Just because I use a bidet, doesn't mean I think everyone else should be forced to, despite its benefits. Consumer choice is important.

Top Bottom