• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to put USB-C connectors in iPhones to comply with EU rules

Puscifer

USB-Courage (TM)

Can't innovate my ass but we can innovate charging. We call this 'Ubiquitous Sensor Bitrate Charging' or USB-C (TM)

Thank (TiM Apple).

I mean you know they'll do some bullshit, but it's pretty clear that they think wireless everything is the future so I have a feeling these models, however many there are, will only be around for a few cycles before their rapid wireless charging tech comes around and then PORTLESS!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean you know they'll do some bullshit, but it's pretty clear that they think wireless everything is the future so I have a feeling these models, however many there are, will only be around for a few cycles before their rapid wireless charging tech comes around and then PORTLESS!
The thing is with that, you can get third party wireless chargers and Apple is cut completely out, then again, they'll proprietary it and lock out the speedcharge tech with a chip 🤭

Of course there are so many far cheaper ear bud options out there that sound better and last just as long if not longer, but people still buy their premium branded tier.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Total wireless is the aim, they have removed the headphone jack and now sim card. The phones already have wire free charging capability.
Yep. That's what MKBHD was saying in that video too. We all know wireless is the future and the EU law allows for no USB-C as long as there is no wired charging. Though truthfully, I think it's fucking stupid to require USB-C, as it does stifle innovation. Add in the various protocols USB-C can come in, and it makes less useful than it might originally appear.

dr_octagon

Banned
From a consumer perspective, it makes it easier because multiple cables types is a waste and frustrating.

I've kept my phone because bluetooth headphones are junk, sticking with wired for as long as possible.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
But which USB-C?
components_adafruit_USB_C_graphic_outlines.png

Last edited:

Puscifer

From a consumer perspective, it makes it easier because multiple cables types is a waste and frustrating.

I've kept my phone because bluetooth headphones are junk, sticking with wired for as long as possible.
I was into "the ecosystem" for a long while till I realized how limited they started getting. MacOS some years ago felt great and it didn't feel locked down because of Apple but less developer interest, but made up for with lots of homebrew apps, 32bit support and a solid Unix-based machine with zero guesswork kept me into it.

But the 64 bit only transition really spearheaded the ideas of what everyone THOUGHT Apple was. Combine that with 1,000 phones everything just started feeling very boutique vs high end, well built machines which for years which even me as a PC guy like me had to admit they were leagues ahead.
But which USB-C?
All of em cuh

Last edited:
Total wireless is the aim, they have removed the headphone jack and now sim card. The phones already have wire free charging capability.
I dont think this was ever the aim. For one wireless charging isnt actually wireless. Youre getting rid of a usb cable for.. a cable with a huge ass puck at the end? And dont even pretend people will actually use charge pads.
And two, apple isnt dumb enough to tie themselves to *checks notes a whopping 15 watts of charging. Oh sweet, I got 3% before my flight leaves.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I dont think this was ever the aim. For one wireless charging isnt actually wireless. Youre getting rid of a usb cable for.. a cable with a huge ass puck at the end? And dont even pretend people will actually use charge pads.
And two, apple isnt dumb enough to tie themselves to *checks notes a whopping 15 watts of charging. Oh sweet, I got 3% before my flight leaves.

The only company that has fast wireless charging is OnePlus... 50w wireless charging...

But I know Apple won't do actual fast charging. How their customers just eat up the slow as heck wired and wireless charging is beyond me.

Tams

Yep. That's what MKBHD was saying in that video too. We all know wireless is the future and the EU law allows for no USB-C as long as there is no wired charging. Though truthfully, I think it's fucking stupid to require USB-C, as it does stifle innovation. Add in the various protocols USB-C can come in, and it makes less useful than it might originally appear.
Please don't link videos by that joker.

Harris is terrible at controlling how his agendas affect his work, yet markets his work as factual and unbiased. He does a lot of research, but omits or twists that which he does not like.

As for 'stifling' innovation:
  • Companies can sell devices without USB-C outside the EU if they really want to. There are plenty of people there.
  • Most devices are quite big, so they can also include USB-C along with whatever other connector they want (see the Microsoft Surfaces).
  • If they really care about the EU market, they can apply to have the EU consider their connector. This is a law, so it can be ammended or superseded if necessary. It only took so long because of Apple's obtuseness.

Last edited:

Tams

But which USB-C?
That's not really a problem though, as if you get a top spec cable, it'll support all of that.

If you use some unknown (to you) one, it will at the very least fit and transfer some data and power. Enough for your needs? Well not the very low ones, but it's something at least.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Though truthfully, I think it's fucking stupid to require USB-C, as it does stifle innovation. Add in the various protocols USB-C can come in, and it makes less useful than it might originally appear.
It doesn’t stifle anything. You see “cable technology” progressing in the last 10 years? It’s a hollow argument each time. Show me meaningful improvement to product via a cable.

Same with protocols - “oh, there are many different protocols, it’s so difficult to align”. No, it’s not. Over the years almost everyone has migrated to USB-C, Apple was a holdout because it’s Apple.

This is all about reducing electronic waste and mass clutter. This is how it looks for me:

iPhone takes Lightning
iPad as well (but I know newer models have USB C)
Kindle takes Mini USB
MacBook takes MagSafe (and phone USB C chargers are most likely not powerful enough to charge it over USB C)
Garmin watches use proprietary connector

lucious lyon wtf GIF

Ballthyrm

[/URL]

I don't think it has to stay usb c , it's just the protocole they chose for the start. Stakeholders can change it if they agree on a new one and there is checks every five years to see if it is doing undue damage.

And again it wouldn't have happened if Apple innovation didn't have to do with getting a cut selling tons of apple compatible junk.

We have standards because the value created by not competing on that space is superior than chasing diminishing gain for a Split audience.

zcaa0g

Banned
I would have more respect for Apple if they would just be honest and call it the "proprietary go fuck yourself connection" instead of "Lightning" . Closed platform mother fuckers. Yeah, that's how I really feel.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Why? Because if you did and had an iPhone, you'd have to use USB-C?!
As I stated previously, I don't think you'll have USB-C on the iPhone even with this ruling. Most likely you will get MagSafe and that's it.

I'm glad I don't live there because solving minor issues via government regulation seems like a stupid thing to do long term. There's absolutely a time and place for gov't to protect its citizens. A fucking cable is not one of those situations. I'd rather the option to choose myself. I don't really care about different cables for different things.

Tams

As I stated previously, I don't think you'll have USB-C on the iPhone even with this ruling. Most likely you will get MagSafe and that's it.

I'm glad I don't live there because solving minor issues via government regulation seems like a stupid thing to do long term. There's absolutely a time and place for gov't to protect its citizens. A fucking cable is not one of those situations. I'd rather the option to choose myself. I don't really care about different cables for different things.

Mate, you make it sound like you can't do anything in the EU without permission.

History has shown that most companies screw over customers in the end. Again, and again, and again.

The EU offers some very basic limits on companies. EU countries have two year warranties. EU countries have decent paid holiday. EU countries have mobile/cellular networks that can do longer screw people over price wise (they absolutely used to).

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Mate, you make it sound like you can't do anything in the EU without permission.

History has shown that most companies screw over customers in the end. Again, and agin, and again.

The EU offers some very basic limits on companies. EU countries have two year warranties. EU countries have decent paid holiday. EU countries have mobile/cellular networks that can do longer screw people over price wise (they absolutely used to).

What does any of that have to do with a cable?

Cyberpunkd

I don't really care about different cables for different things.
But the environment does. If anything this law doesn’t go far enough, the best solution would be to oblige all manufacturers to have 1-2 power socket standards, then forbid them from bundling chargers. People can buy one power cable for 10€ and use them for all devices.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
He is trying to explain to you via multiple examples that EU regulating the shit of everything is most of the time net benefit for the end user.
Yeah IDC about holiday pay. That has nothing to do with my ability to purchase what I want. I don’t see how this impacts the environment. The USB-C cable that came with my iPad doesn’t really work with my MacBook or my Steam Deck. I have a pile of these cables and zero clue what goes with what. All USB-C has done for me is cause confusion when I travel.

Congrats for you Europeans I guess. I’m just glad I can choose what works best for me instead of having some arbitrary decision made on my behalf without any recourse for me to get what actually works for me.

Please don't link videos by that joker.
You should pass a law to prevent it.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Good. Their charging cables always break down and fray with that silly rubber as well (probably by design like their self destructing forced upgrades at one time). I have never had that happen with a USB cable with just as much use over the same amount of years.
Have. You actually tried to buy a USBC cable that does thunderbolt data and charging? Good luck.

The USB C standard is a cluster fuck.

Charging, data and thunderbolt.

Getting a quality cable that can do these thing well is hard.

I’m in the process of redoing my work charging and cable situation. Eliminating the lighting cable wouldn’t help one bit.

Finding one USBC cable that does everything is a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
That data exceeds with USB-C to Display Port.
What do you mean?

The fact they use the same connector across multiple standards for charging and data makes thing less clear.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What do you mean?

The fact they use the same connector across multiple standards for charging and data makes thing less clear.
With USB-C you get:
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 data transfer rates of 40Gbps
  • USB Power Delivery 2.0 – Up to 100W of bi-directional power delivery
  • DisplayPort Alternate Mode (DP Alt Mode) with DP 1.4 suppo
It's what the PS5 will be using in the front port for PSVR2. That way you can get 4K/120Hz/HDR.

Last edited:

nocsi

Meanwhile, European companies don't even play by the rules that US stipulate - remember the Volkswagen emissions fraud? EU should probably focus more on their ongoing energy crisis than dictating what Apple should do -- especially since they were going down the road of portless iPhones anyways.

daveonezero

Banned
Meanwhile, European companies don't even play by the rules that US stipulate - remember the Volkswagen emissions fraud? EU should probably focus more on their ongoing energy crisis than dictating what Apple should do -- especially since they were going down the road of portless iPhones anyways.

did you ever look into what they actually did?

Basically as I understand it They had engines going 100mpg

The test is how much pollution per gallon and did not take into effect distance traveled.

So a car going 30 mpg may generate. Less per gallon but over 10 gallons the distant is way less and it ends up polluting more. The US has all but banned diesels doing this. It is a sham.

nocsi

did you ever look into what they actually did?

Basically as I understand it They had engines going 100mpg

The test is how much pollution per gallon and did not take into effect distance traveled.

So a car going 30 mpg may generate. Less per gallon but over 10 gallons the distant is way less and it ends up polluting more. The US has all but banned diesels doing this. It is a sham.
I don't want to detract from the topic, which is EU & Apple and the Volkswagen example was just a parallel. But the FTC has laid judgement to Volkswagen, it's not a sham. My big point being that EU shouldn't be able to dictate what an American company does - especially considering they were already in the process of doing it.

daveonezero

Banned
I don't want to detract from the topic, which is EU & Apple and the Volkswagen example was just a parallel. But the FTC has laid judgement to Volkswagen, it's not a sham. My big point being that EU shouldn't be able to dictate what an American company does - especially considering they were already in the process of doing it.
Government shoudn't be telling companies what to do.

The VW thing was the US government telling a EU company what they can and can't do.

It does not end well. As in this thread there are a lot of reasons this is not going to achieve what the law set out to do.

Melon Husk

USBhC is just the connector. It's fine for pretty much everything and modern small devices were never going to have any type of port.

You can spec USBhC as low as USB 2.0 if you want. But even higher speed USB using USB-C has now come down in price a lot unless you want USB 4.

Don't swallow the Apple bullshit that USB-C cost too much. aif Raspberry Pi could afford USB-C with their very tight margins, then Apple could.
You can't spec it smaller and pogo pins mean proprietary a charger is required....
Government shoudn't be telling companies what to do.

The VW thing was the US government telling a EU company what they can and can't do.

It does not end well. As in this thread there are a lot of reasons this is not going to achieve what the law set out to do.
Governments have sovereignty and an army, they can do whatever they want, given the people who grant those powers accept it.
I'm sorry that representative democracy feels like mob rule to you (which it is, sometimes).
I'll remind you that anarcho-capitalism hasn't been proven as an effective form of society either.

Last edited:

Tams

You can't spec it smaller and pogo pins mean proprietary a charger is required....

Governments have sovereignty and an army, they can do whatever they want, given the people who grant those powers accept it.
I'm sorry that representative democracy feels like mob rule to you (which it is, sometimes).
I'll remind you that anarcho-capitalism hasn't been proven as an effective form of society either.

For the few smaller things, there's wireless charging and communication and pogo pins (that are extremely basic in how they work). If you go that small, you'll always have to make some compromises.

Apple haven't added Lightning to their AirPods (the earphones themselves), nor their watch, so that really just proves my point.

Tams

They can and should if they wish to trade in that market.

Apple are free to:

a) make different devices for other jurisdictions
b) leave the EU market

Companies do not come before governments. Only people do. And as much as they may argue they are, companies are not people.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
They can and should if they wish to trade in that market.

Apple are free to:

a) make different devices for other jurisdictions
b) leave the EU market

Companies do not come before governments. Only people do. And as much as they may argue they are, companies are not people.
mfw using "Apple" and "free" in the same comment

Tams

This why the EU is an innovation blackhole and will always be reliant on the US and China.
The EU (and Europe in general) does have some major innovation and investment issues.

But your cell network probably runs on a lot of Nokia or Siemens equipment and software. The chips you use where almost all made using ASML lithography machines. Parts of any vehicle you use probably use at least some parts from one of the giant European automobile conglomerates. Your military probably use some equipment at the very least designed by a European company.

Top Bottom