• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

Duxxy3

And yet those PC gamers come in at the bottom of the individual SKU lists each month. Because those folks are sensible enough to wait for Steam sales.
The industry makes no money off of them. (Well, aside from Valve that is.)

No digital PC sales are recorded by this NPD, so basically the vast majority of PC game sales go unreported.

3DS is below 360 then.

21 months on top is pretty damned impressive.

If that's true, Nintendo has far more to be worried about than the Wii U debacle. It's obvious why the PS3/360 would be dropping drastically, but the 3DS should be rising. For it to follow the 8 year old consoles down has to be a huge shock.

PX3B

And yet those PC gamers come in at the bottom of the individual SKU lists each month. Because those folks are sensible enough to wait for Steam sales.
The industry makes no money off of them. (Well, aside from Valve that is.)
You ever wonder why as much as EA hates Steam, they still sell the Sims on it?

AniHawk

I just hope next-gen can bring some life into the market.

i think we'll see one victor rather quickly with another one dropping behind. if consoles are meant to sell to core gamers early on, they probably won't drop $1000 without games just to own each.

this is actually the first time in gaming history that two of equal strength (in terms of system power and backing from the first party) are coming out around the same time. it's not going to be pretty.

Microsoft's run of dominance in the US has been pretty damned impressive.

I think its just morbid curiosity but I want to see just how low Vita sales have gotten. The sad thing is I wouldn't be shocked with <10K sales. Other than here, the Vita is a non-entity. The Wii U occasionally will get mentioned in the news but also barely.

What a horrible month all round. It's going to be interesting to see if PS4/720 can turn things around. I think they can but at this point it's hard to tell.

I'm not sure where the handheld market is heading, even the 3DS just seems to be struggling.

Sandfox

Here is a list games that sold over 1 million within the first month

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_Fastest_selling_video_games

Gears of Wars and Assassin's Creed are the only new IPs that sold over 1 million within the first month.

Note that PS3 and 360 dominate the list, Nintendo clearly needs to learn a thing or two from it's competition on how to sell games. What they are currently doing is not working.

If you want to get technical:
Microsoft: 4 exclusive titles
Sony: 4 exclusive titles(one of which was GTA)
Nintendo: 5 exclusive titles

A lot of those titles have nothing to do with the companies themselves as much as the 3rd parties doing their jobs.

Daingurse

It's like people didn't learn their lesson with Wii. Droughts like crazy and lackluster 3rd party support. Right now WiiU is getting pathetically paltry 1st party support.

It's like do we really have to go through this nonsense every time Nintendo? I mean really? They know they have this problem, they are aware of it, but it keeps fucking happening anyway! The 3DS launch burned me very badly, buying an Nintendo product at launch after that was just not happening again. But it's infuriating to see them fall for the same pitfalls over and over.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I have April 2012 as 126K for 3DS.

So, despite exclusives launching, sales were likely below last year. Hoo-boy.

It's like do we really have to go through this nonsense every time Nintendo? I mean really? They know they have this problem, they are aware of it, but it keeps fucking happening anyway! The 3DS launch burned me very badly, buying an Nintendo product at alaunch after that was just not happening. But it's infuriating to see them fall for the same pitfalls over and over/

This is what happens when you keep Iwata in a job when he's already demonstrated he doesn't know how to launch hardware.

Wii was a fluke. This is real Iwata.

NateDrake

i think we'll see one victor rather quickly with another one dropping behind. if consoles are meant to sell to core gamers early on, they probably won't drop $1000 without games just to own each.

this is actually the first time in gaming history that two of equal strength (in terms of system power and backing from the first party) are coming out around the same time. it's not going to be pretty.

With MS having total control of North America, I see the Next Xbox winning here rather quickly -- especially if they continue to get exclusive CoD content and work something out for exclusive Ghosts content on the Next Xbox.

I have April 2012 as 126K for 3DS.

So, despite exclusives launching, sales were likely below last year. Hoo-boy.
So software sales for the year rise but HW drops.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

GameCube and Xbox.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People in here calling Lego City 3DS a "failure" after one week included in this NPD?

Seriously, GAF.

AniHawk

3ds is still $30 too expensive. software is too expensive too, although it seems like games are now being priced around $30-35 more regularly now.

i think they're going to try and ride out pokemon through the holiday season before they drop the price. they might even release a revision in 2014 to help boost sales. after pokemon, the only thing left is smash bros.

GameCube and Xbox.

microsoft was on a completely different level. they kinda bought their way into the industry.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
we haven't had a pretty month in 3 years.
So, I know you can't mention anything specific, but would you consider Injustice to have done well?

I'm kind of curious how it followed up Mortal Kombat. I'm assuming below 50% of that since MK was like 1 million, but it's probably the most interesting thing as far as software went.

SmokyDave

If that's true, Nintendo has far more to be worried about than the Wii U debacle. It's obvious why the PS3/360 would be dropping drastically, but the 3DS should be rising. For it to follow the 8 year old consoles down has to be a huge shock.
Yup. Given the 126k last year, it seems the 3DS will be down YoY again. I think that's 8 out of the last 9 months where it has declined.

Duxxy3

3DS needs another price drop in time for Pokemon to have consistent sales in the west. At minimum $149, $129 would be better.

Now... I humbly request that we make people thinking next-gen isn't needed a ban worthy offense.

130K for the highest selling system... YIKES! It was a blood bath our there!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Now... I humbly request that we make people thinking next-gen isn't needed a ban worthy offense.

Next gen IS needed.

Next gen being successful? I'm seriously starting to have my doubts.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
microsoft was on a completely different level. they kinda bought their way into the industry.

I don't think that matters. The Xbox and GameCube were very close power-wise and both launched a week apart.

This will be the second time in history we've seen such a thing.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So, I know you can't mention anything specific, but would you consider Injustice to have done well?

I'm kind of curious how it followed up Mortal Kombat. I'm assuming below 50% of that since MK was like 1 million, but it's probably the most interesting thing as far as software went.

Hey, I'll tell you anything you wanna know via PM if you make using the term 'bomba' in a thread title a bannable offense ;).

ill take a look later when I have more time and make some comments.
personally, i really hope it did well!

The core (the natural early adopters) will definitely be split down the middle at the start this upcoming gen. It's an either/or proposition and only tech enthusiasts with money to burn or scalpers will buy both.

DaBoss

Seriously? I think it is needed, but wow...

Current gen consoles needs a price drop to see a large surge in sales. Long overdue.

But Smartphones aren't competition.

They obviously are huge competition but i still think the bigger issue for the vita and 3DS comes from Sony and Nintendo. Overpriced hardware, overpriced software and just so few (if any) must have games. Constant and large software droughts, bad brand recognition and just poor advertising in general.

Against smartphones and tablets things were always going to be different but i think we could have seen some better results if they didn't both drop the ball completely.

Pikmin 9 months after release, the first noteworthy Nintendo game after launching the Wii U. You'd think Nintendo with decades of experience would have better planning.

Considering we don't know what they might announce tomorrow, Pikmin is just a placeholder lineup.....

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wonder what NRS expected from Injustice. It was never going to do MK numbers as a new IP, but hopefully it's looking good.

Top Bottom