• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

This generation has lasted at LEAST 2 years too long as far as hardware sales go. Just ridiculous. It blows my mind when I really think about how long they've been stretching it. TBH it might have made things worse for themselves in the long-run because the longer they wait the more people move on.

To be clear, don't think anyone will fail nearly as hard as the wiiU, Nintendo straight fucked that up. But man, they waited too long.

They obviously are huge competition but i still think the bigger issue for the vita and 3DS comes from Sony and Nintendo. Overpriced hardware, overpriced software and just so few (if any) must have games. Constant and large software droughts, bad brand recognition and just poor advertising in general.

Against smartphones and tablets things were always going to be different but i think we could have seen some better results if they didn't both drop the ball completely.

Smartphones have lowered the acceptable price for portable software.

$40 is flat out retarded in this day and age. It's not so much the hardware price, it's the whole ecosystem.

Duxxy3

Is this the first time in the industry where EVERYTHING is considered over priced?

PS3/360 should be $199 by now
Wii U should be under $250
Vita should be under $200
3DS should be under $150

AniHawk

the pricing should be, right now:

vita - $170
3ds: $100
xbox 360: $100
ps3: $100
wii: $80

instead, microsoft and sony have tried staying around the $300 mark for about 4 years now, which is lunacy. i doubt they'd be able to do such a thing next gen with the market contracting.

Sandfox

The core (the natural early adopters) will definitely be split down the middle at the start this upcoming gen. It's an either/or proposition and only tech enthusiasts with money to burn or scalpers will buy both.

People will buy the one with the better exclusives and whatever their friends are getting when it comes to a choice between those two.

vita - $170

instead, microsoft and sony have tried staying around the $300 mark for about 4 years now, which is lunacy. i doubt they'd be able to do such a thing next gen with the market contracting.

So you want everyone to make little to no(if not losing) money?

$40 is flat out retarded in this day and age. It's not so much the hardware price, it's the whole ecosystem.

It's hardware and software price that is causing problems. That plus there is just so little software available.

Mrbob

These numbers don't surprise me. Look at how long console hardware prices have stayed high. PS3 and 360 both should be under $149 right now for the premium models.

Pooya

capture01x3c.png

so how much is Pachter's "great"? ....

he's probably taking MK debut into consideration.

Concept17

I really hope Sony gives a healthy price drop for the PS3 come E3. Just a nice "well after GT6 we're kinda done here, so now its cheap, like it should be."

But we all know Sony likes to squeeze every last sale out of each price point.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So what you're saying is that everyone is quitting hardcore gaming and going to smart phones and tablets for their gaming needs.

Not entirely. What I'm saying is that I see a possibility that sales numbers don't reach anywhere near where they were last generation. With budgets where they are now, if those sales don't reach back to those numbers, the industry is in for a serious world of hurt.

I also worry that initial sales numbers of PS4 and Nextbox will be great and then fall off a cliff soon after.

Skimping over the tactful use of retarded, I'd point out that the higher end of 3DS softare is doing decently for itself.

But Smartphones aren't competition.
Sure they are. Not in the sense of playing games (with decent controls), but for using up people's free time.

Every hour someone is spending playing around on their smart phone, that's time not spent doing portable gaming. Social media keeps people too damn occupied.

AniHawk

I'm gonna try this and tell me how close or far I am.

PSP < 5K < PSV < 20K < WiiU < Wii < 70K < PS3 < 110K < 3DS < 360 = 130K

i thought you were creamsugar for a moment.

i will assume wii u sales will slot between 20k and 30k. that's down from my earlier prediction of 30k-35k.

May 16, 2013: The day GAF woke up and realized the entire traditional gaming industry is facing trouble, not just a Sony handheld and a Nintendo oddity.

Miles X

May 16, 2013: The day GAF woke up and realized the entire traditional gaming industry is facing trouble, not just a Sony handheld and a Nintendo oddity.

Given the handhelds and WiiU are new, and PS360 are 7/8 years old. No. To say PS360 are in trouble is laughable.

spwolf

vita - $170

you do realize that to get those prices, it means end of life sales for all those consoles? They dont make money on them now, so I dont see why do you think they would sell them at loss... they would likely just disband their gaming units and industry will mostly go away as we know it.

software sales are good though... means people are playing.

AniHawk

Given the handhelds and WiiU are new, and PS360 are 7/8 years old. No. To say PS360 are in trouble is laughable.

but if we get to next april and the best-selling console is still around 150k, that won't be good. sony and microsoft are late, and it's going to make the first year of the new generation pretty rough.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wow Injustice, still won't bite yet. Will wait for Komplete edition.

vita - $170

I think Nintendo would loose a lot of money if they lower the price of the WiiU.
Sony and MS on the other hand could do it and I am pretty sure they will. Sony has a strong LineUp for the Ps3 and with a pricecut the Ps3 would sell very good.
Although, if Sony and MS cut the prices of their CurrentGen consoles the WiiU will suffer even more.

I guess Vita gets a pricecut when Tearaway and Killzone are released. Like in japan, some games and pricut could make for some decent weeks.

Miles X

but if we get to next april and the best-selling console is still around 150k, that won't be good. sony and microsoft are late, and it's going to make the first year of the new generation pretty rough.

You're right it won't, but we can't begin to predict what they'll do based on WiiU and handheld current sales.

Top Bottom