• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

Duxxy3

Does anyone think FUSE has a shot at being successful next month?

tumblr_md95uagwKT1qck737.gif

The even more surprising thing than Defiance charting, especially considering its digital on the PC and PS3.... is that it's a pretty good game. Not great, but good. It's fun.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That is pitifully low... brutal month.

The 360 and PS3 really need some major price cuts. I would like to think that Sony may cut the price of the PS3 at E3, especially with The Last of Us releasing four days after the press conference. I would think Microsoft will be doing so too. Hopefully that gives them a burst of energy until the new consoles release at the end of the year. This generation is just hanging around a bit too long... time for something fresh.

8 years later the cheapest Xbox is still 200€. Keep in mind at this stage the ps2 was 129€ and about to hit 99€.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Price drop does very little to move units when the demand isn't there to begin with.

They have to fuel demand before they adjust the value proposition; otherwise, it's just a loss.

Meaning, yea, do it, but it's a tactic... not a strategy.

Bruno MB

Prior to Wii U's launch it was impossible to foresee that another Nintendo console would do as bad as that system. But then Wii U came, and not only is doing worse than GameCube, we are talking that Wii U has probably sold less than half of what GameCube did during the same timeframe.

GameCube sold in April 2002 87,000 units, Wii U might be closer to 29,000 (33% of GCN sales) than to 43,500 (50% of GCN sales).

When you put it this way, my God, that thing is beyond fucked.

From my records, looks like unit sales were historically low. April 2008 I have as around 16mm units. This April is more like 6-7mm.

People keep saying it's HW fatigue, I think it's more likely software fatigue. Just like people got sick of Guitar Hero and Rock Band, except it looks like every genre has been Guitar Hero'ed

ascii42

That is pitifully low... brutal month.

The 360 and PS3 really need some major price cuts. I would like to think that Sony may cut the price of the PS3 at E3, especially with The Last of Us releasing four days after the press conference. I would think Microsoft will be doing so too. Hopefully that gives them a burst of energy until the new consoles release at the end of the year. This generation is just hanging around a bit too long... time for something fresh.
Yeah a price drop with Last of Us would be great for the PS3.

Loudninja

Price drop does very little to move units when the demand isn't there to begin with.

They have to fuel demand before they adjust the value proposition; otherwise, it's just a loss.

Meaning, yea, do it, but it's a tactic... not a strategy.
A price drop in June with the Last of Us is a good start I say.

Other than that what can you do?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pretty much the replies I expected. Poor Insomniac.

True. But I can't envision strong sales during June for the game.

Sorry I was wrong about that.

But yeah I really don't see a way that game does well.

In EA's fiscal call they said they expected Q1 to be down because this year they only have FUSE while last year they had tail end sales of Mass Effect 3.

So basically they expected the week 5 and onward sales of Mass Effect 3 (until the end of June) to be better than FUSE.

coldfoot

Banned
I'd guess 100-110K PS3 and 40-50K Wii.
How are console sales overseas? Are they also slowing down?

I predict Sony will introduce the 12GB PS3 to NA at E3 for $199.

Hmm, using NPD's March -> April normalized sales transition figure of -38%, I get:

360 = 129.5K - which fits pretty well.
PS3 = 104.7K
WII = 45.1K
WIU = 33.2K

Of course, that's an average so it probably varies by platform.

Sum of PS3, Wii, Wii U = ~180K

Shiggy

8 years later the cheapest Xbox is still 200€. Keep in mind at this stage the ps2 was 129€ and about to hit 99€.

Not sure where you got your data from, but as you are talking about € prices I need to correct you: Xbox 360 is below €150, PS3 below €170, and Wii U below €200.

Hmm, using NPD's March -> April normalized sales transition figure of -38%, I get:

360 = 129.5K - which fits pretty well.
PS3 = 104.7K
WII = 45.1K
WIU = 33.2K

Of course, that's an average so it probably varies by platform.

Interesting calculations.

With variance, that -38% seems to be the general theme of this month's NPD (with all consoles suffering deep YOY declines). Low console sales all around with next-gen just around the corner.

Ridley327

Sorry I was wrong about that.

But yeah I really don't see a way that game does well.

In EA's fiscal call they said they expected Q1 to be down because this year they only have FUSE while last year they had tail end sales of Mass Effect 3.

So basically they expected the week 5 and onward sales of Mass Effect 3 (until the end of June) to be better than FUSE.

With this knowledge, I see a lot of Ratchet & Clank games in the future!

Calamari41

41 > 38
Do you guys remember that glorious five minutes in the January NPD thread when it was confirmed that the Wii U sold 250k units? And then it turned out that it wouldn't even have reached that total through April?

UberTag

People keep saying it's HW fatigue, I think it's more likely software fatigue. Just like people got sick of Guitar Hero and Rock Band, except it looks like every genre has been Guitar Hero'ed
Good thing we're getting more annual installments of everything courtesy of Ubisoft, no new IPs, no risks, AAA budgets for only sequels from established genres... and all of these publishers scratching their heads and going "Huh? How did that happen?" when the next Minecraft, Puzzle & Dragons, League of Legends materializes. "Why didn't our same old, same old become the next craze?" they wonder in stupification.

Do you guys remember that glorious five minutes in the January NPD thread when it was confirmed that the Wii U sold 250k units? And then it turned out that it wouldn't even have reached that total through April?

From the penthouse to the outhouse in five minutes flat

That was an amazing thread

Gartooth

Does anyone think FUSE has a shot at being successful next month?

Realistically, probably not given general lack of awareness and hype surrounding the game.

However, I do hope it is successful if only because I think Insomniac is a fantastic studio and I would love for them to find success given this is really their first title without Sony's backing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With this knowledge, I see a lot of Ratchet & Clank games in the future!

They're hiring a lot so they clearly have contracts with someone.

I'm kind of doubting EA though, but I guess it's not impossible.

Capcom is being pickier about outsourcing, so perhaps them.

Yawnier

Banned

Yes I do, and it was amazing how quickly the tone of that thread turned in a manner of a few minutes.

goomba

Banned
Why shouldn't handhelds count? Hardware is hardware otherwise Microsoft should only claim "highest selling console"

Keyouta

Wii U isn't new?

The Wii U doesn't have anything exciting going for it for enough people. Plus there's confusion since it was being marketed like a peripheral at launch. Once the games start coming out this Autumn it'll start turning around, though by how much I don't even know where to start guessing.

Top Bottom