• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

Cheebo

Banned
There are a lot of games coming out for it like SMT IV, Mario & Luigi, Yoshi's Island, and LTTP 2. However Pokemon is what will really drive sales, every kid and their mother will buy Pokemon.

Mario Land 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, & Mario Kart weren't able to save it in the west so far. Pokemon may not either.

Duxxy3

PS2 launched at $299 and dropped to $199 after a year and a half. From an article I found from that time, Sony had shipped around 30 million at that point. So...for under both $249 and $199: probably in the neighborhood of 130 million. PS2 dropped to $149 some time in 2004. So likely more than half of all sales occurred after that price point.

So there's still a huge market for a leading console under $150 then. Sales at $250 are exhausted.

So despite drastic price cut and games, some people here still think Nintendo can revive WiiU (in America and Europe at least)

It'll need a miracle. If the 3DS is struggling after their efforts I can't imagine how the WiiU is going to fare against actual competition.

There's people that still think 3D Mario and Mario Kart will do more than cause a spike in sales. They need another phenomenon.

Gartooth

So despite drastic price cut and games, some people here still think Nintendo can revive WiiU (in America and Europe at least)

It'll need a miracle. If the 3DS is struggling after their efforts I can't imagine how the WiiU is going to fare against actual competition.

I think Nintendo's last place position for the next gen is already secured given how completely awful of a start the Wii U had. But, if they are able to bring enough impressive software I'm sure they will at least be able to acquire acceptable numbers on their hardware, given that they were able to successfully salvage the 3DS and turn it around. (albeit not to DS levels of success)

Miles X

There's people that still think 3D Mario and Mario Kart will do more than cause a spike in sales. They need another phenomenon.

I think 3DS can ... coast along this gen, especially with those franchises and the all important Pokemon, with revisions (though I don't see as much scope for those like DS?)

WiiU tho, just doesn't have franchises that'll propel it.

I kept hearing all last year. 'Oh it's launching with NSMB, you know, the game that sold 25 mill +?' Well look how that's turned out.

ascii42

So there's still a huge market for a leading console under $150 then. Sales at $250 are exhausted.

Certainly, though it's important to consider that combined PS3+360 lifetime sales are right about at PS2 lifetime sales, so the market could quickly become completely saturated, regardless of price.

Duxxy3

There are a lot of games coming out for it like SMT IV, Mario & Luigi, Yoshi's Island, and LTTP 2. However Pokemon is what will really drive sales, every kid and their mother will buy Pokemon.

And i'm sure that hardware sales will go up during the fall and holiday season like all hardware sales do. It's the january to september timeframe where nintendo is bleeding sales, that's where a lower price, to entice impulse buyers, would help.

Mitark

I didn't see that. Someone please link to the moment of joy and agony

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513443

i remember this , Hilarious reactions

i0yPmgbt1qrX3.gif

i think it has been corrected to 57k later

The leading patform 130K. And some guys don't think we are ready for next gen? And that the other 2 manufacturers will do as bad as Wii U.

Wake up my friends, it is time to embrace reality now.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Anybody have the numbers for the amount of PS2's were sold at $249, $199 and $149?

I think there's still a another 20 million PS3/360 that could sell for under $200, probably another 10 million for under $150.

This is what I found for the PS2 price cut history. The numbers are how many units were sold at that price:

October 2000 $299 (launch price): 8,607,957
May 2002 $199 (-$100): 8,658,549
May 2003 $179 (-$20): 5,877,281
May 2004 $149 (-$30): 9,908,336
April 2006 $129 (-$20): 10,617,695
April 2009 $99 (-$30): 2,000,000+

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
not really. the absolute failure of their 35-year console business is pretty much as bad as it gets right now. the 3ds can and will go on to sell about 20 million in the us at least.

Is 20MM optimistic for a console declining in its second full year on the market? What's it at now? I forgets.

I dunno if it's fair to say the 3ds is "declining" but healthy, normal consoles do not show declines like this. It's just really bad right now on the handheld front.

Duxxy3

Certainly, though it's important to consider that combined PS3+360 lifetime sales are right about at PS2 lifetime sales, so the market could quickly become completely saturated, regardless of price.

Maybe, but most people that i know who own one HD console own both HD consoles.

The core buying market is still there, but the market that bought a Wii or PS2 under $150 don't necessarily have an HD console.

Cheebo

Banned
The leading patform 130K. And some guys don't think we are ready for next gen? And that the other 2 manufacturers will do as bad as Wii U.

Wake up my friends, it is time to embrace reality now.

We have 3 next gen systems on the market. WiiU, 3DS, & Vita.

All 3 are failing in America right now. Next-gen is here and no one cares.

Seriously. I have to be up for work in 6 hours, but the anticipation is killing me.
What are we expecting?

Maybe, but i would tell you 2 are handhelds, in a transformed market. And the other is a failure from it's conception. I'm betting on the PS4 doing better than the WIi U. I'll bet on it, are you up to it?

None of those systems are next gen in anything but name.

Even Vita is basically a dinosaur at this point. That entire industry is a relic of the past.

not really. the absolute failure of their 35-year console business is pretty much as bad as it gets right now. the 3ds can and will go on to sell about 20 million in the us at least.

I think it really is. They're dropping YoY (even during the holiday) every single month except 1. Handhelds are pretty much all they've had the past 2-3 years. To have their old one being phased out while the new one is suffering major declines already is more worrisome than a console that has had no software released for it yet. 3DS has actual software and it's dropping.

Top Bottom