• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

goomba

Banned
I think it really is. They're dropping YoY (even during the holiday) every single month except 1. Handhelds are pretty much all they've had the past 2-3 years. To have their old one being phased out while the new one is suffering major declines already is more worrisome than a console that has had no software released for it yet. 3DS has actual software and it's dropping.

Last month 3DS was the only hardware that went up (9%)

I just don't see HW fatigue as the explanation the huge drop in software sales. With all the existing 360 and PS3 in circulation, there should be a huge game buying consumer base. That they aren't buying the new releases tells me they don't see these new games as offering them any new experiences.

I'm not buying any more current gen games except GTA5. 7 years is too long to spend with one piece of hardware. GT6 on PS3 is a bad joke.

People who thought MS and Sony could push this gen into 2015 were grotesquely naive. No one is spending $300 on 8 year old hardware.

We have 3 next gen systems on the market. WiiU, 3DS, & Vita.

All 3 are failing in America right now. Next-gen is here and no one cares.

None of these systems offers a compelling new experiences to people who have been playing PS360 for 5+ years.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, so, MH does 100K and SoulSac does 33k so now SoulSac is 30% as big as the biggest franchise in Japan! GREAT JOB SONY!!!!!

Duxxy3

We have 3 next gen systems on the market. WiiU, 3DS, & Vita.

All 3 are failing in America right now. Next-gen is here and no one cares.

All 3 systems have their own issues.

Vita costs way too much (hardware, memory cards and software) and doesn't have a system seller.

3DS costs too much in the west (hardware and software) and there's still some confusion regarding the name.

Wii U is just a complete disaster, it's missing everything.

AniHawk

Is 20MM optimistic for a console declining in its second full year on the market? What's it at now? I forgets.

I dunno if it's fair to say the 3ds is "declining" but healthy, normal consoles do not show declines like this. It's just really bad right now on the handheld front.

software prices are high, and so are hardware prices. nintendo went against their own handheld philosophy in creating the thing and it's hurting them right now. give it a lower price, get the pokemon fanbase on there, and it should do another 12m over the next 4 years or so. i don't think it's that tough of a goal. i am assuming that the 3ds has sold 8m in the us at this point. it could be 6m. i honestly can't remember.

B.O.O.M

That's actually not too bad for Soul Sacrifice..I expected worse. It was doing really well digitally too going by the charts for April

SmokyDave

The whole "1 week of sales" thing is bullshit no matter which game it's used as an excuse for. Games are very frontloaded.
Why? Do you think a game on sale for one week has the same chance to shift units as a game on sale for 3-4 weeks?

It's more than 0, so that's a positive.

Also we have no clue how well Vita games tend to sell digitally vs. physical.
1 in 3 titles according to a Sony exec, but we have no idea if that is retail, or all titles.

Duxxy3

software prices are high, and so are hardware prices. nintendo went against their own handheld philosophy in creating the thing and it's hurting them right now. give it a lower price, get the pokemon fanbase on there, and it should do another 12m over the next 4 years or so. i don't think it's that tough of a goal. i am assuming that the 3ds has sold 8m in the us at this point. it could be 6m. i honestly can't remember.

Yep, nintendo handhelds are suppose to be "cheap fun".

AniHawk

soul sacrifice doing 33k really isn't that bad. i think it's around half of what monster hunter did last month on 3ds.

keep in mind the vita userbase is around 1.3m in the us. you won't be seeing 100k debuts for anything but the biggest franchises (like cod or assassin's creed)

I honestly didn't expect much different for Soul Sacrifice. Unpopular genre here in NA, and on the Vita. Not that I didn't hope for more. Games amazing.

Why? Do you think a game on sale for one week has the same chance to shift units as a game on sale for 3-4 weeks?

I don't think the number is going to be substantially different, no. If it was the case you'd have a lot more cases of high profile games released near the month not doing well but then charting higher the next month, which never happens.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Close to it. Thats how stores work after all, shit has a week at the front of the shelf, then comes next weeks releases. Videogame purchasers are frontloaded, and idle "whats that boxart" buyers weeks later arent much of a statistic worth considering at Vita's level.

Still, 33k for something without a lick of western advertising just selling to an ultra niche of users is about what to expect really.

40k or thereabouts, I think.
My friend, have i told you of the Wii U sales overclock? This sh!t will get sale up to 3.24 Million a month.

Will hear about this at the Nintendo Direct in just a few hours. Then it'll look like:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

You'll look like:

(T_T)

And partisans will look like:

ヽ(^o^)丿

SmokyDave

I don't think the number is going to be substantially different, no. If it was the case you'd have a lot more cases of high profile games released near the month not doing well but then charting higher the next month, which never happens.
Games are undoubtedly front-loaded, but to the degree that only the first week really matters? I'm not buying it.

iammeiam

SS seems like it'd be a heavily front loaded title, given how niche it is and how informed the general Vita audience seems to be... Do we have any first and second month data for previous final-week Vita titles? Still, nature of the audience, I could also see it being heavily digital weighted so maybe that helps.

At this point, Wii U may not even reach 5.5 million sold until the end of the year if that lol. People seriously think there will be no price drop this year are basically predicting the death of the platform entirely.

Games are undoubtedly front-loaded, but to the degree that only the first week really matters? I'm not buying it.

For a game this niche? Yeah, I'd kinda imagine most people who are going to buy it before a price drop are gonna buy it first week. And if they don't the number who don't isn't going to be incredibly substantial.

Kusagari

You have niche stuff like Shadows of the Damned struggle to do that much on consoles.

For an extremely niche game on a dead platform that is not bad.

Top Bottom