• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aquanaut's Holiday (PS3) announced

Goldrusher

DeadGzuz said:
Can some on summarize this game for me, the game sites are blocked and the images look cool. Is it like Afrika under water?
If you're even remotely interested, order it !

It has a mystery story, with puzzles and clues... But you can go Afrika-style and try to find all the fishes and animals in the game, which are then added to a database with detailed info about them. And there are trophies !

DeadGzuz

Banned
Goldrusher said:
If you're even remotely interested, order it !

It has a mystery story, with puzzles and clues... But you can go Afrika-style and try to find all the fishes and animals in the game, which are then added to a database with detailed info about them. And there are trophies !

Nice, thanks.

ElyrionX

I just got the Asian version that is supposed to be in "English/Chinese".

I've unlocked about eight buoys thus far and yes, I can confirm that the game is completely in English. No moon language to be found anywhere. However, the downside is that the translation is bad. I'm talking about 1990s-PS1-era-Capcom-type bad. :lol But then again, dialog and story really isn't the point of this game. I don't give two shits about the "mystery" and story of the game but the underwater exploration is just really fun and relaxing.

The graphics aren't as good as I was expecting (1080p would have been nice but it's only 720p) but they're still good. Fishes animate really nicely and there's a whole variety of them to find and to gaze at. Overall, I like it quite a lot thus far and it really is the type of game I was looking for. It's a very nice departure from the intense shooters and RPGs that we've had this fall.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
ElyrionX said:
I just got the Asian version that is supposed to be in "English/Chinese".

I've unlocked about eight buoys thus far and yes, I can confirm that the game is completely in English. No moon language to be found anywhere. However, the downside is that the translation is bad. I'm talking about 1990s-PS1-era-Capcom-type bad. :lol But then again, dialog and story really isn't the point of this game. I don't give two shits about the "mystery" and story of the game but the underwater exploration is just really fun and relaxing.

The graphics aren't as good as I was expecting (1080p would have been nice but it's only 720p) but they're still good. Fishes animate really nicely and there's a whole variety of them to find and to gaze at. Overall, I like it quite a lot thus far and it really is the type of game I was looking for. It's a very nice departure from the intense shooters and RPGs that we've had this fall.
Thank you very much for confirmation, I'm ordering it soon as well.
How long did PA take to ship?

Got my version from ebay yesterday (thank you for the link Guymelef!), I'm finding it really relaxing, but it's a total pain having to return to base to buy more batteries for the SonoBuoys. Also, the Engrish is pretty hilarious - it's not as bad as i've ever seen, but has all the usual hallmarks of a poor English translation - I asked that Kemelman about Bill's diary and he said somthing along the lines of "Bill's diary? It a poem...POEM!!" :lol wtf?

Goldrusher

Engrish. Nice.

Can't wait to play it. My copy from YesAsia shipped on Sunday, so it should arrive here early next week probably...

Guymelef

I just received my Chinese/English copy but trophies name and descriptions is in japanese, is it normal?
Any place with the translations?.

Guymelef said:
I just received my Chinese/English copy but trophies name and descriptions is in japanese, is it normal?
Any place with the translations?.
See people? That's what I meant:
Phantast2k said:
It's on yesasia as well!
http://www.yesasia.com/global/aquan...n-asian-version/1013087815-0-0-0-en/info.html
So is it fully English like multilanguage releases in Europe or are there just some overlayed eng. subs? Someone needs to order it and test it for me! :mad:
Thanks for testing, Guymelef :p
I'll still buy it if it's the only issue.

Guymelef

Goldrusher said:
According to lupinko, trophies should be in the language of your XMB...

And ElyrionX and Bootaaay have confirmed the Asian/English version is in English.

I saw lupinko post and yes he has the trophies in english.

And ElyrionX and Bootaaay have confirmed the Asian/English version is in English.

The game is in English.
The save date icon and name is "Aquanaut's Holiday Hidden Memories"
The trophies icon is "Aquanaut's Holiday (insert here japanese characters) and all trophies are in japanese, i change the system language to english (spanish default) and nothing.

This is why i ask for other people with chinese/english version.

Edit:
Some pics

Japanese name and trophies.
a3.JPG

a4.JPG

English name in savedata.
a5.JPG

Game
a1.JPG

a2.JPG

a6.JPG

Goldrusher

But when comparing with friends, what language are the trophies then ?

lupinko's own Trophies (xmb -> game) are in Japanese as well, but not in the friends list, there they're in English:

345fpzr.jpg
4dp37.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That's weird, and kinda sucks.
Maybe lupinko can transcribe his trophy list for us? :)

Glad that's the only issue.
Hmm, my friend has the Japanese version, if his trophy list is in english, I'll write them up here.

EDIT:
Just saw the above info. Well, that's good.

Guymelef

Goldrusher said:

lupinko's own Trophies (xmb -> game) are in Japanese as well, but not in the friends list, there they're in English:

345fpzr.jpg
4dp37.jpg

Ok, fixed, thanks.

Trophy list / spanish dashboard = japanese.
Trophy list / english dashboard = japanese.
Compare Trophies / spanish dashboard = japanese.
Compare Trophies / english dashboard = english.

DeadGzuz

Banned
So close to pulling the trigger at play-asia. I think my kids would get a kick (and learn) by exploring and taking pictures. I want this and Afrika and neither was on my holiday short list due to the region issues...

Anyone have a review of the PS3 version, I can't find info anywhere.

Baha

Goldrusher said:

345fpzr.jpg
4dp37.jpg

Link me to your (or lupinko's) wallpaper or theme please!

Guymelef

Played a lot of hours, the game is relaxing and wonderful, much better than i expected.

You can obtain a camera that import photos to XMB but strangely there it looks worse than ingame.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Guymelef said:
By the way, is the first game i see that choose automatically DTS.
Dolby Digital 5.1 doesn't need to be disabled.

Resistance 2 does that as well. Perhaps LBP too. Not sure.

kassatsu

Banned
I hope if SCEA brings this game over they add voice overs. Reading all this text would put off a lot of people I think.

So far I am really enjoying this game though :D. I saw a Great White shark and just followed it around for like 10min lol.

jooey said:
oh my god the translation

STOP FUCKING SAYING "WELL"
I agree with your statement, well...

"What in the world was Bill going to do by collecting Meme? In my head, Bill's challenging words were ringing. Mr. Pursuer, collect Meme ... and his words."

Best nonsense yet.

lupinko

For people who want to know more about this game, here is the gist of it:

- You start off in Kisira Base which is some aquatic research place on some islands
- You then chat with Kemmelman and Jessica, two researchers who work on the base
- Then go underwater in your minisub the Dolphin-Go, which has its own Ai, to go watch various fish
- Also you spend your time replacing batteries of SonoBuoys (Sonar Pods basically), which extend the area you can explore
- Not only do you get to watch fish, you get to take pictures of them (which can be exported to your XMB), and sing with them

Basically if you like exploration and fish, this is your game.

My game when I bought it in Japan came with a Aquanaut's Holiday branded Library bag. :lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
I just ordered with Play-Asia, I found a $8 off $50 and added some $0.90 filler.

In the season with all these mega games, I'm pushing some off for something called Aquanaut's Holiday, funny stuff.

So few games I can play with my kids, everything else is so violent.

Guymelef

Valkyr Junkie said:
Has anyone 100%'ed this game yet? My mind is about to melt, but I've only got 4 fish left.

The Aqua Library is crazy.
Says that there are 3 large creatures in an area where they can't fit.

Can't find more side quest after the end.
I did the bomb quest and the suitcase quest.

Guymelef said:
The Aqua Library is crazy.
Says that there are 3 large creatures in an area where they can't fit.

Can't find more side quest after the end.
I did the bomb quest and the suitcase quest.

There are different phases of each section and some fish only show up during certain phases. You mentioned the 3 large creatures and not being able to fit, so I'm assuming you're referring to the Gates of Adventure. In that area the large fish show up in the northern part of the area where the reef drops off into the ocean. You can't float out there, but if you sit and wait they'll eventually swim past.

Guymelef

Valkyr Junkie said:
There are different phases of each section and some fish only show up during certain phases. You mentioned the 3 large creatures and not being able to fit, so I'm assuming you're referring to the Gates of Adventure. In that area the large fish show up in the northern part of the area where the reef drops off into the ocean. You can't float out there, but if you sit and wait they'll eventually swim past.

Yeah, i think it's this place, then i have to wait where the "speed tuna"?

Found a japanese wiki with a very complete guide.

http://www1.atwiki.jp/2ch-aquanaut/pages/1.html

Yea, that wiki has been a lifesaver. And on that note:

:D
nohax5.jpg

Sadly, I've still got a few fish left to play Simon with to get my first Platinum trophy :(

If anyone's stuck on a particular creature, let me know since feedback on gamefaqs is pretty non-existent at this point.

Goldrusher

Got my copy today and wow, this game is awesome !

vo3cd2.jpg

Buy! Support the exclusives ! Support original games ! And above all, support English translations of Japanese games !

Goldrusher

So much fun. And educational !

Your little submarine has a KITT-like intelligence.
I discovered a dolphin and my character asked why the database says it's a common dolphin, when it's brown and black, unlike the "common" gray dolphin seen at sealife parks. Then your sub says that's actually another species of dolphin, called the bottlenose, and that the real "common dolphin" is brown and black.

Oh, and when I discovered a new sea area, the Sea of Tranquility, my character said "Oh, that's a nice romantic name" and the sub then gives you his database name, which is like XP4147681 or something. "Not so romantic."

Later, you discover another sea, the Sea of Melodies, and you go "Another nice name.", to which the sub replies "I have it listed as SV547128". You go "Ok, enough with the database names."

Very nice, laid back, adventure game. Loving it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Goldrusher said:
So much fun. And educational !

Your little submarine has a KITT-like intelligence.
I discovered a dolphin and my character asked why the database says it's a common dolphin, when it's brown and black, unlike the "common" gray dolphin seen at sealife parks. Then your sub says that's actually another species of dolphin, called the bottlenose, and that the real "common dolphin" is brown and black.

Oh, and when I discovered a new sea area, the Sea of Tranquility, my character said "Oh, that's a nice romantic name" and the sub then gives you his database name, which is like XP4147681 or something. "Not so romantic."

Later, you discover another sea, the Sea of Melodies, and you go "Another nice name.", to which the sub replies "I have it listed as SV547128". You go "Ok, enough with the database names."

Very nice, laid back, adventure game. Loving it.
Heh, pretty funny.

kassatsu

Banned
momolicious said:
lol that is pretty bad if true.

why cant sony just do a proper US release?
They probably won't make a profit. I mean so far I have found 1 animal whose name was just romaji and one which was spelled wrong. "Japanese angle shark" :lol

momolicious said:
Instead of spoiling the game, can someone explain how good the english translation is?

Overall it's pretty bad, but at times they get certain lines really spot-on which makes me think that the game is being translated by different people of various skill :lol

If you want this game you might as well import it because there is a snowball's chance in hell this gets released in the West. The 'story' is absolutely batshit crazy and a lot of the people that would casually pick up this game as an educational/exploratory game would probably freak out :lol

Goldrusher

I just got the game but I really liked the
music box
chapter.

momolicious said:
can someone explain how good the english translation is?
So far, it's pretty damn good.
I have no idea why some are saying this is Engrish. There's no Engrish in this game.

There's tons of dialogue and 99% of it is great. Occasionally a word seems out of place or there's a dot or a comma missing. But that's it.
It's not Pulitzer material, but it's miles above Babelfish and definitely not Engrish.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Goldrusher said:
So far, it's pretty damn good.
I have no idea why some are saying this is Engrish. There's no Engrish in this game.

There's tons of dialogue and 99% of it is great. Occasionally a word seems out of place or there's a dot or a comma missing. But that's it.
It's not Pulitzer material, but it's miles above Babelfish and definitely not Engrish.

99%? The word "well" is used 99% of the time as a form of punctuation. Eeeyeah, I'm considering that Engrish. Now, does that mean it's hard to understand? No, you can get the gist of the story just fine, but it's still pretty far from natural-sounding dialogue. I have a (somewhat uneducated) feeling this was actually translated from Chinese.

(I still <3 the game)

Top Bottom