• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aquanaut's Holiday (PS3) announced

Gekko87 said:
Well apprently, Playstation Store isn't exactly booming in Japan, at least thats what I heard somewhere (I think 1up Yours). The japs aren't too OK with giving out there Credit Card info.
Sorry to go off-topic. I'm not living in an english speaking country, but isn't that considered a racial slur?

jiggle

HQ :D

aqua08.jpg

aqua19.jpg

aqua20.jpg

aqua12.jpg

aqua07.jpg

aqua10.jpg

aqua29.jpg

aqua17.jpg

more here
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080708/aqua.htm

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Phife Dawg said:
Sorry to go off-topic. I'm not living in an english speaking country, but isn't that considered a racial slur?

I suppose it is if you use it as one :/

Fuck this looks nice.

Endless Ocean was my surprise hit of last year, so I'm looking forward to this one. Hoping for custom soundtracks.

fapfapfapfapfapfap

AH1 doesn't hold up that well. AH2 had a more alive-feeling world and pseudo-goals that were a lot more fun: a concrete - though mysterious - list of interesting things to find and huge lists of sea life to identify. Plus, it had several areas that represented varied aquatic biomes, with sea life to match each.
The prehistoric biome, with its icthyosaurs and tylosaurs, was BADASS.

2real4tv said:
Don't know if Iam suppose to watch or play this?
I sense your sarcasm, but: play.

Clearly this isn't gonna go over well with people who think something's wrong if they're not shooting everything in sight. But it really needs to come over, and it's culturally nonspecific enough (hey, look at the old white guy in that screen) that localization would be a snap.

I would be great if some of the Designers took a look in the ocean, and modified the style of the game to reflect it. it just looks like aHD endless Ocean, which IMO was crapola.

acevans2 said:
Some of those images don't look so hot for a next-gen game.
You should see their PS1 games. I can't claim to have played all PS1 games, but Tail of the Sun is the ugliest I've got.

I haven't seen anything of theirs post-PS1, so the fact that their PS3 game doesn't look like a budget Wii game seems a step up from my expectations.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
STG said:
better:

wtf is wrong with SCEA and SCEE, SCEJ is doing everything right
You sure about that? If consoles started and ended in Japan, PS3 would very likely be the last home console you would see from Sony. Their Japanese PS3 business is absolutely abysmal in terms of sales. I normally don't really care about sales, but when they are so low as to endanger future business, it's only normal to be worth a mention.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Hmm, this could be the first Japanese game I ever import, assuming it has everything in English, which it appears that it does. I'd rather they just create a US version, but this game looks very appealing to me.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Nolan. said:
Why are they keeping non-japanese speakers out, I want to learn too sony!.

Is it confirmed we need to know Japanese for this? The menus look like they're in English. So sad if there's no way to play this game in English. :( Has it been confirmed?

I wonder if the Rock Beauty will be see on the same sea as the Powder Blue tang,since in real life the Rock Beauty is a caribbean fish,the Powder Blue is not.

iceatcs

Hmm, Sony Japan is getting coming back. Not because of just this game.
I mean, new this trailer after long no hear. Ico's next game will be revealed soon and the white knight's site finally updated with teaser words.

Klytus

Tormentoso said:
I wonder if the Rock Beauty will be see on the same sea as the Powder Blue tang,since in real life the Rock Beauty is a caribbean fish,the Powder Blue is not.

Srsly?

This looks great. I had the original PS1 game and played it to death, and I've always had a thing for this flavour of relaxing explore-athon. Endless Ocean was fine and all, but this type of gig is a purely visual affair and as such really needs HD. Hope to hell it gets a western release, or is at least playable in its japanese form.

The first one was one of the most overrated 'cult-classics' ever made. Good for curing insomnia though.

This one looks MUCH better, however.

klee123

Kagari said:
It's a remake of a PS1 game...

Which is a mistake. Seriously all you need to do is compare the sales of Afrika to IU and ToV in the similar time frame.

Not saying the game sucks or anything, but Sony really isn't in the position to make these types of games when they are struggling in userbase sales. It made sense during the PSone/PS2 era because they were the market leader.

Replicant

BlazingDarkness said:
bring it to the west you fuckers

Maybe it's time to spam the Playstation blog with request for this. When those of us complained about the lack of RPG, it seems they listened. Ditto with the Little Big Planet segregated world. So maybe it's time to tell them that we want this and Afrika on the west.

biocat

klee123 said:
Which is a mistake. Seriously all you need to do is compare the sales of Afrika to IU and ToV in the similar time frame.

Not saying the game sucks or anything, but Sony really isn't in the position to make these types of games when they are struggling in userbase sales. It made sense during the PSone/PS2 era because they were the market leader.

To be fair, it's not like Aquanauts or Africa required anywhere near the resources IU or ToV did.

klee123

biocat said:
To be fair, it's not like Aquanauts or Africa required anywhere near the resources IU or ToV did.

I'm not too sure about that man. It's not like both games look really low budget or anything. Looking at IU, from what I played it doesn't even compare to say LO or a usual FF game either. Can't comment on Vesperia, because it's still in the mail.

klee123 said:

Then again the effort put into the respective products can't be compared anyways. Or put this way: The team that is responsible for this couldn't have done a ToV or a IU in the same timeframe with the same budget. It's not either or imo, Sony needs these titles as well.

klee123

Phife Dawg said:
Then again the effort put into the respective products can't be compared anyways. Or put this way: The team that is responsible for this couldn't have done a ToV or a IU in the same timeframe with the same budget. It's not either or imo, Sony needs these titles as well.

I'm just trying to say is Sony should be more concerned in pleasing the hardcore gamers first in Japan. I don't think the hardcore gaming otaku would be interested in Afrika.

Artdink has many a lot of different games in the past, so they should be capable in making games like rpgs.

Zoc

klee123 said:
I'm just trying to say is Sony should be more concerned in pleasing the hardcore gamers first in Japan. I don't think the hardcore gaming otaku would be interested in Afrika.

Artdink has many a lot of different games in the past, so they should be capable in making games like rpgs.

Thank God they made this instead of another damn RPG.

klee123 said:

I see where you're coming from but there is White Knight coming out this year for instance, a project of quite a bigger scale. AH is just the PS3 version of an old concept and doesn't involve all the work which would have to be put into an RPG. Whether or not Artdink could pull off something like WK is another story.

And to be frank, the market for classic RPGs seems to be dwindling outside of the big names. You need new impulses, the tastes are changing. Catering first and foremost to a niche market like the hardcore gaming otaku wouldn't really do anything to improve Sony's situation in the market siginificantly. Games like this help to diversify the portfolio with very little effort involved.

klee123

Zoc said:
Thank God they made this instead of another damn RPG.

What rpgs? oh you mean WKS which is the first original jrpg on the system after 2 year old 360 ports?

Yeah another damn jrpg indeed.......................

Phife Dawg said:
And to be frank, the market for classic RPGs seems to be dwindling outside of the big names. You need new impulses, the tastes are changing. Catering first and foremost to a niche market like the hardcore gaming otaku wouldn't really do anything to improve Sony's situation in the market siginificantly. Games like this help to diversify the portfolio with very little effort involved.

I dunno may it's just that when I can see new IPs such as Blue Dragon pulling 200K copies on a system which hasn't even broken a million, new IPs do have a chance.

antiloop

klee123 said:

To be fair, if they can get some RPG:s these games will complement them well.

No single game made PS2 a success. It was diversity.

klee123 said:

Actually, many of the RPGs SCEI published on PS2, sales really dwindled during the PS2 era compared to PS1. If the last installments of PoPoLoCrois, Arc The Lad, Wild Arms, Legaia, and many others sold good, they'd probably continue making them. Square Enix and Namco were publishers who could sell RPGs, that's why SCEI just let them do it. Plus, it's not like new installments of these games are coming since some devs are already working on projects elsewhere (like Media Vision working on DS). If you badly want RPGs now, just get a 360 (even spamming the PS Blog won't don't much because SCEA barely cares about bringing over most RPGs from Japan in the first place (Coded Soul on PSP is still Japan only as an example, and they almost didn't bring Folklore stateside)).

That's why they aren't the most concerned. Their top first party sales in Japan were GT and Hot Shots Golf, and both are not RPGs.

As for AH, the game sounds pretty cool and I'd like to give it a shot.

Tntnnbltn

klee123 said:
What rpgs? oh you mean WKS which is the first original jrpg on the system after 2 year old 360 ports?

Yeah another damn jrpg indeed.......................
I believe that was sarcasm...

klee123 said:
I dunno may it's just that when I can see new IPs such as Blue Dragon pulling 200K copies on a system which hasn't even broken a million, new IPs do have a chance.
Considering the people involved with BD the expectations were high, even with the low userbase of the 360. I'm not saying Sony shouldn't go after that market, I just think that concentrating on it and canning little projects like this here wouldn't really benefit them all that much - if at all. I'm pretty sure Artdink couldn't churn out a BD-esque project in the same timeframe and with the same budget like AH.

Top Bottom