• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arbitrator orders Bungie to give fired music chief Marty O’Donnell his stock back

Banned
Home...

374503195_640.jpg

Save us from dubstep Marty, pls.
Omg, this please. If halo 5 ends up with dub step or generic synthesizer music I'm out.

StUnNeR H2K

Nobody knows the full details, but if this was a money issue I bet Bungie is wishing they had just increased his salary and moved on. Either way this isn't good for Bungie's image.

Mooreberg

That is a lot less money than I'd have guessed, given the PR headache. Seems like it would have been easier to pay him and part ways.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I hope Marty sits in the corner and just throws pencils into the ceiling tiles while shouting "PASS" to every idea for the next 5 years.

4 definitely didn't have generic music. It wasn't as good as Marty's stuff but it certainly wasn't bad.
It had 1 good track that still wasn't equal to any of Marty's real halo music.
Even ODST(best of the franchise), Wars and Legends had infinitely better soundtracks.

Heck Destiny sounds more like Halo than 4.

Armaros

So let me get this straight.

Upper management decided to fire him without cause and then:

#1. Deny his already earned unpaid benefits
#2. Forcefully remove his shares from the company as one of the founding members without any compensation.
#3. Convert those shares into a different type, probably with the aim to sell them to others.

And Legal somehow signed this off?

Doubtful unless wholly incompetent or yes men.

It does explain why try refused to give him anything at the start, they wanted his shares. I was confused when they refused to pay the paltry sum of his benefit, now it makes more sense why they held out.

Just skimming that doc it says that around the beginning he had almost 400,000 shares and then he was given almost 50,000 more. I wonder what those shares are worth now.

EDIT: Wow, other than the claim that Marty would be a pain at meetings as a reason not to give his shares back, it also states that he should not get them back because they already had plans for that stock.

"Yes, he should not get those shares because I already made arrangements for the new sauna and company trip to Thailand."

Sounds legit.

Madness

How are Bungie jerks?

We dont know the full story. Maybe Marty is a full blown asshole and a jerk himself?

That's not how it works man, you don't hire a guy, keep him around for almost 18 years, make him one of the faces of the company, send him to Sony reveals as one of the main people from Bungie, only to can him less than a year later, without any cause, and then try to withhold his unpaid vacation and wages and then try to steal his shares from him, if he was a jerk and asshole it would've happened sooner.

There is a reason a lot of longtime Bungie staff are no longer with the company (Marcus Lehto, Brian Jarrard, Joe Tung, Jaime Griesemer, Joseph Staten etc.)

In fact, when Marty was fired, Jaime Griesemer even tweeted: "Destiny, from the creators of Halo (that we didn't fire)".

I wish we knew the whole story, but I think Bungie has just become too large, too corporate, and has an Activision presence on the board, and that their money influences what is happening.

Armaros

Just skimming that doc it says that around the beginning he had almost 400,000 shares and then he was given almost 50,000 more. I wonder what those shares are worth now.

EDIT: Wow, other than the claim that Marty would be a pain at meetings as a reason not to give his shares back, it also states that he should not get them back because they already had plans for that stock.

"Yes, he should not get those shares because I already made arrangements for the new sauna and company trip to Thailand."

Sounds legit.

As more information is released, it's obvious that the firing was not put before whatever constitutes a legal department at Bungie.

I mean really? The only legal defense for stealing his shares is because he won't play nicely with the board...

I bet you he was fired because he didn't agree with the Paul McCartney deal or something. Bringing him on to do a song for the game just strikes me as so weird that it had to have come from the head of the company or Activision simply wanting to meet him, or something.

sflufan

Banned
Bungie has bungled this situation so badly and presumably received legal counsel for their actions that they should consider suing their own attorneys for malpractice.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
He should just roll up to a stockholder meeting, drop trow and let one off, and then say that's his latest contribution to the soundtrack.

darthbob

Hmm, Section I, item 14.

Respondents [Bungie and Harold Ryan] have argued that if Claimant's [O'Donnel] shares are restored, Claimant will be a bothersome presence at board meetings and in the company. They also argue that they may wish to use the shares for some other, unspecified business purpose before the arbitration hearing. These harms are greatly outweighed by the harm to Claimant if preliminary relief is not granted. Additionally, a protective order can protect Respondents from Claimant's alleged inappropriate behavior.

I find this part to be more interesting than what everyone has been quoting, the 'bothersome presence' part.

inner-G

Banned
So Bungie was counting on having half a million more shares in their pocket than they do...

I wonder if that could have negative impact on funding for any of their projects?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Bungie lawyers objected that if O’Donnell’s shares were restored, he would be a “bothersome presence at board meetings and in the company,”

If he's fired, that means he won't be going into the building outside of board meetings, yeah? I don't see how he'd be a nuisance for Bungie outside of the board meetings. Which you can simply put up to vote to remove his power or something, surely?

JABEE

If he's fired, that means he won't be going into the building outside of board meetings, yeah? I don't see how he'd be a nuisance for Bungie outside of the board meetings. Which you can simply put up to vote to remove his power or something, surely?

I believe they can fire him from his position that manages or operates the company, but he is still a significant shareholder with founders' stock. That means he has a seat on the board and a vote. This is owed to him whether he is employed in a management role by the company or not.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I believe they can fire him from his position that manages or operates the company, but he is still a significant shareholder with founders' stock. That means he has a seat on the board and a vote. This is owed to him whether he is employed in a management role by the company or not.

Right, but what I mean is if he's no longer a manager for Bungie's "day to day" he wouldn't be in the building, obviously? Outside of like Shareholder meetings, and if that's the case: Can't they just put his shareholder powers up to vote? IE: "Do you want to keep Marty on the Board of Directors?"

JABEE

Right, but what I mean is if he's no longer a manager for Bungie's "day to day" he wouldn't be in the building, obviously? Outside of like Shareholder meetings, and if that's the case: Can't they just put his shareholder powers up to vote? IE: "Do you want to keep Marty on the Board of Directors?"

I think it depends on a bunch of different things like what percentage of stock he has in the company, and whether they can prove he has a conflict of interest or not. It's hard to be able to say from here. I'm not an expert on this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This did always seem like a hot tub situation to me.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
That's not how it works man, you don't hire a guy, keep him around for almost 18 years, make him one of the faces of the company, send him to Sony reveals as one of the main people from Bungie, only to can him less than a year later, without any cause, and then try to withhold his unpaid vacation and wages and then try to steal his shares from him, if he was a jerk and asshole it would've happened sooner.

There is a reason a lot of longtime Bungie staff are no longer with the company (Marcus Lehto, Brian Jarrard, Joe Tung, Jaime Griesemer, Joseph Staten etc.)

In fact, when Marty was fired, Jaime Griesemer even tweeted: "Destiny, from the creators of Halo (that we didn't fire)".

I wish we knew the whole story, but I think Bungie has just become too large, too corporate, and has an Activision presence on the board, and that their money influences what is happening.

This is kinda why I wish Bungie would have been able to stay with Microsoft (and why I wish Microsoft would have given Bungie the opportunity to do what they wanted and just created 343i regardless). It just seems like a lot of Bungie staples have either been fired or quit (and many of those even came back to Microsoft). I want to add a caveat that this is purely from that perspective rather than Bungie games being exclusive to one platform or the other. It just seems like a lot of core Bungie talent has left (Joseph Staten and Marty are two people I never expected to leave Bungie in particular). Also, when I say "leave" I meant leave for various reasons -- I'm not sure which of the Bungie talent just quit or were simply fired. I mean, Marty was one of the founding seven members of the company and Joe Staten created the Halo world and Destiny's world.

Of course, maybe the issue with Bungie is that they mainly just wanted to be independent (and thus fully able to control the properties they create). It may not have been the fact that they were constantly making Halo (I only think this because the Destiny deal with Activision is for 10 years).

Keyword alleged.

Marty never really came off as very arrogant to me in videos, but again that doesn't necessarily mean much at all considering his public appearance could very likely be very different than how he personally conducts himself. Regardless, I remember that article (I forgot who did it) where someone high up in Bungie (maybe Jason Jones?) talked about how it's hard when certain figures of the company are famous while others are not because it's always the result of a team rather than one individual. I know Marty did acknowledge that everything he did was always a team effort, so I don't think anyone can fault Marty for being popular (the music in Halo is super classic and fits the game very well -- I can hear that music and imagine playing the game instantly -- so I think he's deserving of the praise). Thinking back, Halo is one of the few games where I distinctly feel like the music greatly enhances my enjoyment of the game. When I heard Marty had gotten fired, I was actually quite a bit less excited for Destiny 2.

I'll add another caveat too: I'm trying not to judge Bungie's decision to fire Marty (I don't think anyone really can since we don't know all the facts and Bungie is not really in a position (as an employer) to talk about why someone was fired), I'm just disappointed that I won't be hearing Marty's music in any future Destiny games (or at least any new music).

Armaros

He may have to be voted out by shareholder vote instead of the board itself?

Disclaimer: I'm no business guy

Only way for him to not be able to show up for shareholder and board meetings is for them to buy out his shares.

They cant take them away without him quitting from the company(his contract) but since he was fired, that clause did not take into affect.

Valnen

Only way for him to not be able to show up for shareholder and board meetings is for them to buy out his shares.

They cant take them away without him quitting from the company(his contract) but since he was fired, that clause did not take into affect.

This sounds hilarious. I really hope he is a huge pain in the ass at those meetings if he was fired for shitty reasons.

Good, everything turned out well for him then; I HOPE HE GETS EMPLOYED SOMEWHERE ELSE SOON, 343! *wink, wink*

Seriously. I can't take Halo seriously when it has generic music. We need the O'Donnel magic back!

I really enjoyed 4's soundtrack. It doesn't come close to Marty at his best, nor does it try to copy that ethereal quality his compositions have, but it's great in its own right.

EmpReb

Banned

I lean the Corparate greed route because of what Actvisions tried to pull on Former Infinity Ward/ now Respawn on not sharing profits WITH THEM and strangely this happened when Activisions now has had influence on Bungee higher ups for few years.

Top Bottom