• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arby's Is Market Testing a Venison Sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

Really Arby's no South Dakota. That might actually get me into the restaurant I have around the corner from my apt.

shoplifter

I can't imagine this is even sustainable year-round on a national level. There's also a lot of variance in how gamey venison tastes based on the age of the deer, something that can be controlled for with beef.

edit: yes I know how deer populations are but since it's not farmed supply will be fluctuating

Fluvian

Banned
Venison is a great meat more people should start eating, at least the sausages for breakfast, way less fat in it than pretty much any other red meat.

Be sure to get it from a good source though.

See but I already have a freezer full of Venison already.

Arby's gonna have to offer some crazy ass variants of it to get me interested.

Machine

I'm interested but it's about a 90 minute drive to the closest Arby's that is participating. I'm not sure I'm that interested.

cyress8

Banned
Just had red beans and rice /w deer meat sausage. (Thanks, mom!) So damn good.

I already love some of Arby's sandwiches and I will have this sandwich at least once a week.

watershed

Banned
I like venison a lot but I don't really trust Arby's to deliver on game meat. I don't really trust Arby's for anything to be honest.

Remf

Nice! I eat at that Atlanta location from time to time since it's right down the road from my office so I'm definitely going to try it out. To those who have not tried venison, it's great tasting with hardly any gamyness to it. It's also healthier than chicken with more protein as well.

Venture

Seems kind of messed up if they roll this out to all their restaurants around Christmas time. Although it could make for some funny commercials. They could toothpick a cherry tomato on top and call it the Rudolph.

FoxSpirit

The problem with grown venison is that it doesn't taste as intense as wild game by a long shot. Then again, people are afraid of venison flavour so maybe that's a good thing then.

It's not coming to my state and I don't care for farm-raised venison, but I'd be interested in trying it out of nostalgia, I think. Hunted venison was almost the only meat my family ate when I was kid, and I still miss it sometimes.

Remf

Dang it!! Pulled up to the drive through at 11:30 and they are already sold out (Atlanta). Apparently they sold all of them, even the ones they had for the rest of the weekend, in just 30 minutes. He hunger is real peeps.

drspeedy

Woot! There's one near me!... but we won't have the sandwich until later this month. With luck I'll be able to grab one and report back in.

Locations:
Available Oct. 31-Nov. 3:
2044 Rosa L. Parks Blvd. , Nashville, Tenn.

Available Nov. 4-6:
3821 Tower Ave., Superior, Wis.
1690 Park Place Blvd., St. Louis Park, Minn.
704 Highway 33 South, Cloquet, Minn.
348 Lincoln Ave. SE, St. Cloud, Minn.
3275 First St. S, St. Cloud, Minn.
4415 Roswell Rd. NE, Atlanta,

Available Nov. 12-14:
4229 W Vienna Rd., Clio, Mich.
4040 17 Mile Rd. NE, Cedar Springs, Mich.
1215 M 89, Plainwell, Mich.
8685 Birch Run Rd., Birch Run, Mich.

Available Nov. 25-27:
5205 Library Road, Bethel Park, Penn.
4260 Ohio River Blvd., Bellevue, Penn.
16 Towne Center Drive, Leechburg, Penn.
2539 W State St., New Castle, Penn.
2648 Ellwood Rd., New Castle, Penn.
3224 Wilmington Rd., New Castle, Penn.

drspeedy

Dang it!! Pulled up to the drive through at 11:30 and they are already sold out (Atlanta). Apparently they sold all of them, even the ones they had for the rest of the weekend, in just 30 minutes. He hunger is real peeps.

Just being curious here, but what was the price?

I guess you could say Arby's had the meats.

Remf

Just being curious here, but what was the price?

They didn't show a price or picture on their menu so I'm not sure.

Just an FYI, if you ask for the sandwich and they are sold out. They will give you another sandwich for free.

I doubt they would be able to roll this out nationwide if they wanted to. Its so difficult and expensive to have a "game" meat provider. It's not like livestock

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Venison is godawful. This time Arby's might actually deserve their reputation.

painey

so I worked my ass off to get my 40 hours in so I could have Friday off to do errands. I get to my only Arbys within 300 miles selling it and get in line at 10:22am. The manager announces he only got 75 and there's only 2 left.. and there are 2 people in front of me. The first guy orders a slider, and I internally squeal.. then the obese lady in front of me orders the last 2. I could have cried. I went to Costco and had a hot dog and soda for $1.50 instead. What a disappointment.

Jimmy Fallon just made a joke about this. Apparently Arby's sold out of their sandwich at all the test locations. The punchline was, I guess Santa has to find an Uber to get around on Christmas eve

AndyD

aka andydumi
Forgot to mention that I went to the Arbys near me twice to try it and no luck. They said they ran out quickly, which I assume means they only had a little bit available.

drspeedy

Sorry for everyone who didn't get one, but I'm happy to report I DID

And they're awesome. Juicy and really well seeasoned, not tough at all, with just a little hint of the venison gamey flavor. Berry sauce and fried onions thingies on top were perfect. Definitely the best fast food sandwich I've had in a long time.

I got there around 9 this morning, which put me roughly 40 people back. By 9:30 there were easily 100 people in line- not counting the drive through, which had backed up the main entrance and cars were having to drive around to the rear entrance.

Manager comes out, dressed in a camo Arby's shirt, and told us everyone could order 2 sandwiches (which was great, I had heard 1 per customer ealier). Doors opened right at 10, everyone ordered their 2 and by 10:18 they were gone... 120 sandwiches ordered in just under 20 minutes. Store manager was giving a free coupon to everyone else in line, like Remf mentioned.

I was talking to the regional manager a bit while waiting, he mentioned that they don't make any money on these (they're $5/ea or $7 w/meal) but the interest and press have been amazing so far. Big city stores like Nashville got double the amount of sandwiches as our little town, but they also had lines around the store with some people getting in line as early as 7:30-8:00. I overheard the guy ahead of me in line saying he and his son drove in from out of state, literally 2 hours to get their hands on one.

Good luck to the rest of GAF!

The Argus

If venison is properly processed by a experienced hunter or farm it can be an incredible and versatile meat. If poorly bled, cut, soaked etc, it can be extremely gamey and off-putting. I think that's the impression most people have of venison, sadly.

That said, an Arby's venison burger in theory sounds horrible. But I'm reading good things. The fact that it's so limited and doesn't appear ground might mean they're working with a farm and getting decent quality cuts.

styl3s

I just had some vension chili the other day it's a shame they aren't testing it here and to people who write it off without trying it find someone who actually knows how to prep from venison meals because it's really good.

drspeedy

If venison is properly processed by a experienced hunter or farm it can be an incredible and versatile meat. If poorly bled, cut, soaked etc, it can be extremely gamey and off-putting. I think that's the impression most people have of venison, sadly.

That said, an Arby's venison burger in theory sounds horrible. But I'm reading good things. The fact that it's so limited and doesn't appear ground might mean they're working with a farm and getting decent quality cuts.

totally agree with you there. And it was a nice cut, not ground or sliced. I'd pay more than what they charged for sure, for a limited time item, and knowing it's this good, I'd pay $7-8. Good that they start it lower so more interest builds, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom