• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America's most violent and peaceful states

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Nashville is really high too.

I actually don't think Nashville is too bad overall. It definitely has troubled areas (like I guess any large city does), but I don't think the crime rate is too outrageous, at least last I heard. I don't actively keep up with crime rates and such.

LionPride

Banned
I actually don't think Nashville is too bad overall. It definitely has troubled areas (like I guess any large city does), but I don't think the crime rate is too outrageous, at least last I heard. I don't actively keep up with crime rates and such.
Just know Memphis has the highest, but we're actually a really good city that's improving greatly

BruinsMtB

Banned
Been wanting to find a peaceful place to move too and that top list is where I'll be looking at.. How is Maine economically?

Are you employed by trees, the trades or tourism? If not, good luck. As far as 21st century professions you'll have a small pocket in Portland but it's not a big city (about 60K~ people) so you're limited.

Piggus

I live in anchorage
everyone has a gun + no permit needed to conceal carry (one of three states iirc)
basically the wild west up in here

Gun ownership rate and laws don't seem to necessarily correlate to this outcome that much. A lot of the safer states for example have very lax gun laws. But when you combine those lax gun laws with poverty and other issues that force people into crime, then you have a problem.

Then again yeah, it's Alaska. I can't imagine certain areas of the state are all that well enforced.

j0hnnix

Are you employed by trees, the trades or tourism? If not, good luck. As far as 21st century professions you'll have a small pocket in Portland but it's not a big city (about 60K~ people) so you're limited.

Ohh sounds like a shutdown. I'm in IT.. Maybe trees need fiber? 😂

Been wanting to find a peaceful place to move too and that top list is where I'll be looking at.. How is Maine economically?

Rated 47th in economic recovery since the recession and almost last in job growth. Gov. LePage has been a disaster. #1 economy is tourism and that only lasts less than half a year.

Ohh sounds like a shutdown. I'm in IT.. Maybe trees need fiber? ��

NH, baby! IT-focused companies have been popping up/moving here left and right. Southern NH is thriving to say the least. Worst case, you've got the greater Boston area right down the street.

No state income or sales tax coupled with a reasonable cost of living is icing on the cake.

j0hnnix

NH, baby! IT-focused companies have been popping up/moving here left and right. Southern NH is thriving to say the least. Worst case, you've got the greater Boston area right down the street.

No state income or sales tax coupled with a reasonable cost of living is icing on the cake.

Omg this is winning me over.. Im going to plan a vacation there to see it. Ive been wanting to move further North. Just because tired of the heat.
Time to research more about NH.

Just know Memphis has the highest, but we're actually a really good city that's improving greatly

I haven't been in a a few years, but I always liked Memphis. It's a great city. If it were closer I would probably go there over Knoxville and Nashville. But I was aware it is pretty violent and has a high crime rate.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Pennsylvania right in the middle. We might buy you a beer, we might smash it over your skull. Depends on the cycles of the moon.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I lived in maine for years and go there every summer. I have a hard time believing this. Violence on a scale of say murder is rare. But sexual assault, molestation, breaking and entering, and assault are very common.

lenovox1

Damn, my TN is number 3. I never would've thought that. And Alaska number 2, the hell? Louisiana being 1 isn't super shocking, though.

Of course fucking Maine would be the least violence. Dammed Murder, She Wrote watching state.

Between the Jackson Metro and the Memphis Metro, West TN is one of the most violent areas per capita in the country.

I believe the Jackson, TN area has an even higher violent crime rate per capita.

Stay average, New York....

I'm shocked to see Alaska up there. Holy shit, too cold for that.

I thought it'd just be drinking for warmth and fucking for warmth.

Retro

I know absolutely nothing about Delaware apart from diamond Joe but its ranking is surprising.

Newsweek once called Wilmington "Murder Town USA".

With a population of just over 71,000, Wilmington had a violent-crime rate of 1,625 per 100,000 people last year, according to the FBI’s 2013 Uniform Crime Report (that crime rate measures murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery and aggravated assault). The national average was 368 per 100,000 people. Wilmington ranks third for violence among 450 cities of comparable size, behind the Michigan towns of Saginaw and Flint, according to a Wilmington News Journal report.

That said, you get away from I-95 and all you'll see is suburbs and farmland except for Dover (which is a hole) and the beaches (which are amazing). There's nice places north and east of Wilmington too, which is where Biden lives.

BruinsMtB

Banned
I lived in maine for years and go there every summer. I have a hard time believing this. Violence on a scale of say murder is rare. But sexual assault, molestation, breaking and entering, and assault are very common.

What part of Maine? My town growing up didn't even have a police force

Yup, I love NH (except for our shitty winters). Been here for most of my life. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else except maybe Maine.

Nephtes

Louisiana at 1 but Illinois at 20 doesn't seem to make sense to me...
I mean all anyone talks about is how much violence is going on in Chicago right?

Numbers probably skewed because our firearms in Louisiana are legaly held and reported vs. in Chicago where most of the guns are probably held illegally...

That's what I'm telling myself so I can sleep at night anyway...

And now I'm going to the store to buy more shotgun shells...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom