• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America's most violent and peaceful states

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Is it fair to say lists like these would vastly underreport gang violence since it only includes reported violent incidents?

Alaska doesn't even have a population of 1m. Must be killing each other out of boredom.

I mean Alaska is like 75% white and they get state checks like every month (or is it annually) just for living there.

Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire are like 95% white... I wouldn't call Alaska homogenous. Also, being geographically isolated like Alaska is probably does something weird to people.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So there's kinda a relationship between average daily temperature and the amount of violence in a state with a few outliers. You always hear about crime going up during heat waves so I really wonder if there's a correlation between temperature and crime? Obviously other factors are at work...just looking at one variable.

whats with all the neogaf people from Utah?

It's getting kinda weird.

I was going to say the same thing. I thought I might be the first to chime in about the place. Not a complaint, just an observation.

So there's kinda a relationship between average daily temperature and the amount of violence in a state with a few outliers. You always hear about crime going up during heat waves so I really wonder if there's a correlation between temperature and crime? Obviously other factors are at work...just looking at one variable.

Utah isn't pleasant most summers but we seem to be doing okay.

This seems accurate. Delaware as a state just doesn't seem to exist some days.

Imagine being magically whisked away to...Delaware.

Shadybiz

Actually surprised to see NJ as one of the more non-violent places. Our population density alone should be making a lot of people go nuts.

Chris R

Alaska second most violent?

I'll believe it. Our Winters can be harsh and there are so many drug and alcohol addicts. Not to mention people have this rosy picture in their mind that all their issues will magically disappear if they come to Alaska. Nope, we just collect the shit and dregs from all the other states.

Los Anchorage is alive and well.

Noobcraft

Minnesota nice is totally a thing (grew up there) so that's not surprising. I'm surprised that Idaho is #37 but it looks like the low average income hurt their score.

Michigan only 17th? Looks like we need to step things up. Shouldn't the act of poisoning thousands of people, including children count?

Matty77

New England is safe because a third is well off rural or high class white people with roots going back to the mayflower, another third is poor rural or city people more concerned with fraud when it comes to crime, the last third is zapped on heroin.

I wouldn't call this a study, at least in the traditional sense, since it does not appear to be peer-reviewed. Since it's nothing formal, the authors' methodology is bare-bones and does not explain why they chose the weights they did for each factor. Their inspiration, as described in the methodology, is the far better 2012 United States Peace Index. Far more detailed with more information. The older rankings, not surprisingly, fall mostly in line with the one mentioned in the OP. But again, even the more detailed report I linked is not peer-reviewed by independent third parties.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Alaska second most violent?

Parts of Alaska during the summer never see night, and during the winter never see sunlight.

That along with high gun ownership, fucking horrible cold winters and bug infested summers... yeah not surprising at all.

Beautiful state, but I'd never ever ever want to live there.

VanWinkle

My state (WV) just barely in that safer half. Huzzah! Of course, it's 26, but hey, I thought it would be worse, considering how into guns people around here are.

forms

NH, baby! IT-focused companies have been popping up/moving here left and right. Southern NH is thriving to say the least. Worst case, you've got the greater Boston area right down the street.

No state income or sales tax coupled with a reasonable cost of living is icing on the cake.

What is NH? I am allowed to be ignorant on this matter as I am European.

Yeah, especially if you consider how much of a shithole the area around VCU is.

I went to Virginia with the fam in late June, and we were caught off guard at Richmond, as you could go from a rundown former industrial area/poverty-stricken neighborhood, only to keep going down the road and finding yourself in the super gentrified part of town.

Expected Michigan to be higher because of Detroit, Saginaw, and Flint.

Same, though given that much of the state's population lives in the suburbs surrounding Detroit, it's not as surprising (not to mention that, unfortunately, a lot of the state's violence happens in poverty-stricken AA communities that the state government doesn't give a shit about, which makes Oakland and Macomb very happy).

You're slacking, Texas. If you're not first, you're last. /s

I'm also pretty surprised we're not higher on the list. San Antonio and Houston are shit holes, and God knows what happens in some of these little podunk towns that look right out of Deliverance. The border towns are trash too, but that goes without saying.

CT messin it up.

the other 5 states are in the top 6. CT is all standing out there ten spots down ffs

I was very surprised at this. I love living in Connecticut since it seems so uneventful.

Then I remember Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven.

My cousin lives on the edge of Bridgeport and years ago had a gun pulled on him for the color he was wearing. We're Indian.

I had a former classmate who was set up for a shooting.

Matty77

I was very surprised at this. I love living in Connecticut since it seems so uneventful.

Then I remember Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven.

My cousin lives on the edge of Bridgeport and years ago had a gun pulled on him for the color he was wearing. We're Indian.

I had a former classmate who was set up for a shooting.
The last time I was living in Maine I worked with a scumbag from CT and he used to brag about the worst shit. I think he was running from trouble. He was from Hartford. From what I have seen as someone who has spent most of my MA time on the border or close to it CT is either really,really nice, or a hellhole, not much inbetween. Disclaimer I have never lived there I spend all my time between MA and Maine so correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom