• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia |OT| of "MUST ANSWER MY CALLING"

3361417874_d51f966bd4_b.jpg

Developer - Image Epoch
Publisher Ignition Entertainment
Genre - Traditional turn-based JRPG
Release Date - NA: July 20 or 27, EU: TBA 2010

Website

Screenshots
4034710741_3398c5bef1_o.jpg

image,big,id4291,491,rollenspiel,marvelous_interactive,image_epoch,arc_rise_fantasia.jpg

LArc-Battle-chop.jpg

Videos

Trailer 1
Leslie and Twins
Preview
Launch Trailer

Voice Acting

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Chaos Wars

Reviews

Nintendo Power - 75

Boxart

Japan

arc_rise_fantasia_boxart.png

NA

250px-Arf_wii.jpg

Story (From the website)

Players will jump into the shoes of L’Arc, a calm and composed mercenary, who sets out to defend the Meridian Empire from an impending invasion of ferocious creatures.

After assembling a party of friends, each with a unique set of abilities, players will embark on a perilous journey across an overworld filled with deadly enemies and treacherous dungeons.

While strategically queuing up attacks, players can summon mystical creatures and work with their party members to execute massive attacks. Arc Rise Fantasia features deep gameplay, top-notch production values, and an unforgettable storyline – Wii owners who have been pinning for a massive fantasy epic will definitely have their patience rewarded.

Features

It's a standard turn-based JRPG with a world map. You probably already know what that entails.

VOICES CAN BE TURNED OFF

Price - $39.99

Prax

I still plan on getting it, but I might have to wait until the price comes down or to buy it used.

Way too many other games to buy/in my backlog at the moment!

The fact that this game has really iffy localization also puts a hamper on my enthusiasm..

Speevy

Banned
I've always wondered why bad voice acting still exists so many years after people started voicing games.

I mean, localizing a game is a process, and like any process, it should be refined over time, right?

Speevy said:
I've always wondered why bad voice acting still exists so many years after people started voicing games.

I mean, localizing a game is a process, and like any process, it should be refined over time, right?
Well

If you're talentless in any field, including localizing, you just put out whatever you can get away with.

So refinement is a moot point when you're Ignition.

Looking forward to this :) Love me some traditional RPGs and it should be fun to juggle this between P3P and DQ XI :p

Seriously though, been wanting to play this since it came out in Japan. Glad I held off on buying the JPN version as I'll be playing it in English soon enough :)

Ricker

Not to be a dick here but can we stop it with the bad voice acting comments by now...yeah,it`s bad most of the time and we all heard it and so on...you can turn the voices down to silent,there`s always sub titles or a window that shows the text and all so for those getting it this week or next,it would be fun to read about other stuff besides the voice acting...

I`m still early on but so far i`m liking the game,i`ll post more impressions later or answer questions if anyone has any ;) :D

Wow, I couldn't stop laughing while watching those voice acting videos. Hilarious stuff, though I'm not sure if I could go a whole game with those actors.

zigg

Maybe everyone'll get it out of their system. :D

Just for the record, YOU CAN TURN THE VOICES OFF.

(you still have to read the text though)

(that should have been the thread title, really)

Aeana

Ignition deserves every ounce of hate for the terrible quality of their localizations. It's really unacceptable in this age. Voice acting quality is only one issue with this game. The text localization also appears to be plenty bad, just like their previous titles.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Fuck this company for lowballing XSEED on the game, and fuck them for the shitty job they did on it. It's a shame, because I think there is a solid game under the shitty, shitty surface, but I won't be giving Ignition my money if this is the standard we can expect from them. They and the JP dev/publisher should be ashamed that they let their game be released in a state like this, just to save a few bucks.

Oh and the boxart :lol , is one of the worst composited I've seen. A total mess (and they promised a unique piece of art for the US cover :lol ). They should have kept the JP one.

zigg said:
Didn't they say they're going to make casual games from now on, making that point moot anyway?

Eh, not buying it sends a message to the people back in Japan. Either localise your games properly or don't bother. I'd rather pay $50 for a well done release that 40 for a turd like this.

zigg

Ushojax said:
Fuck this company for lowballing XSEED on the game, and fuck them for the shitty job they did on it. It's a shame, because I think there is a solid game under the shitty, shitty surface, but I won't be giving Ignition my money if this is the standard we can expect from them.

Didn't they say they're going to make casual games from now on, making that point moot anyway?

I still want to play the game, myself, in any event.

Forgot to mention this in the OP. The game is 39.99. Just mentioning it in case saving 10 bux gives you guys enough incentive to ignore the shoddy localization.

Aeana said:
Ignition deserves every ounce of hate for the terrible quality of their localizations. It's really unacceptable in this age. Voice acting quality is only one issue with this game. The text localization also appears to be plenty bad, just like their previous titles.
DPno.png

Ushojax said:
Eh, not buying it sends a message to the people back in Japan. Either localise your games properly or don't bother. I'd rather pay $50 for a well done release that 40 for a turd like this.
Or it tells Marvelous that even fewer people in the US want to buy their games than they thought. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone but the most savvy at MMV would look at this game's underperforming and rightfully blame Ignition for screwing up as they are wont to do.

Ushojax

I AM JOHN! said:
Or it tells Marvelous that even fewer people in the US want to buy their games than they thought. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone but the most savvy at MMV would look at this game's underperforming and rightfully blame Ignition for screwing up as they are wont to do.

Well that's their problem. We shouldn't have to put up with shitty releases because it might put them off releasing more. Maybe when this game inevitably flops they will look at Atlus and realise what they have done wrong with a couple of their recent games.

Boney

Banned
Oh man, what a way to cut corners with that voice acting. I'm pretty sure they're just doing it themselves and aren't hiring any voice actors.

Also, when will developers get that VA doesn't work if you have to press A every time someone ends a sentence, it completely breaks your concentration.

I was instructed by Eesa's brother. Imaginal, to search for the child of Eesa. If the child of Eesa can awaken Eesa, then the crystalization caused by Real can be stopped.

what the?

duckroll

Boney said:
Oh man, what a way to cut corners with that voice acting. I'm pretty sure they're just doing it themselves and aren't hiring any voice actors.

Wrong. They actually wasted money dubbing this in Japan, which is probably worse.

Lucis

this isn't a bad game, i actually kinda liked it...
but those voice acts, just shed a tear in my eye... laughed too hard

duckroll

It's kinda sad that Image Epoch can't really ever catch a break. Previously the only games which were localized overseas were Luminous Arc games by Atlus. But it seems even Atlus has dropped the third game. Then World Destruction and Arc Rise Fantasia take over a year to get localized, only to have a shitty low-key release and a sub-par localization. Their best selling game in Japan is 7th Dragon, and it probably has the best chance of actually getting the developer some decent attention, but it's not going to be localized at all. Can't wait to see Capcom drop the ball on Last Ranker too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
Wrong. They actually wasted money dubbing this in Japan, which is probably worse.

Do you mean someone in Japan wasted money on a dub or that these are English speaking dudes in Japan doing the dub?

Ushojax

duckroll said:

From what I understand, JP devs/pubs can be quite stubborn about this, and often insist or recording in Japan with local, often shitty actors. Doesn't excuse the script, but I'll give them a break on the VA. There was a big feature on JP localisations in GamesTM a few months ago, and it went into quite a lot of detail on this sort of thing, with an interview with the guy who did the original MGS localisation (which Kojima hated and has tried to retcon ever since). A lot of JP companies are overprotective to an absurd degree.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
Do you mean someone in Japan wasted money on a dub or that these are English speaking dudes in Japan doing the dub?

I mean what I said. Ignition contracted the dub out to a Japanese dub studio to handle the English voice track. Remember Baten Kaitos 1's dub? That was done the same way. It's way cheaper, and the quality is about what you pay for. :p

Ushojax said:
From what I understand, JP devs/pubs can be quite stubborn about this, and often insist or recording in Japan with local, often shitty actors. Doesn't excuse the script, but I'll give them a break on the VA. There was a big feature on JP localisations in GamesTM a few months ago, and it went into quite a lot of detail on this sort of thing, with an interview with the guy who did the original MGS localisation (which Kojima hated and has tried to retcon ever since). A lot of JP companies are overprotective to an absurd degree.

That is most certainly not the case here. Ignition is cost cutting.

Vamphuntr

duckroll said:
It's kinda sad that Image Epoch can't really ever catch a break. Previously the only games which were localized overseas were Luminous Arc games by Atlus. But it seems even Atlus has dropped the third game. Then World Destruction and Arc Rise Fantasia take over a year to get localized, only to have a shitty low-key release and a sub-par localization. Their best selling game in Japan is 7th Dragon, and it probably has the best chance of actually getting the developer some decent attention, but it's not going to be localized at all. Can't wait to see Capcom drop the ball on Last Ranker too.

Very sad for 7th Dragon, I was hyped for it. I still have faith in Capcom. They brought to the west Gyakuten Saiban and they are also bringing Ghost Detective. They tried MH in the west too and are bringing Sengoku Basara 3. They invested in text heavy and niche Gyakuten Saiban so they have to bring Last Ranker right? right?

Man the voice acting for this game is horrible. Also :lol at Boney's excerpt from the dialogue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
I mean what I said. Ignition contracted the dub out to a Japanese dub studio to handle the English voice track. Remember Baten Kaitos 1's dub? That was done the same way. It's way cheaper, and the quality is about what you pay for. :p

That figures. It sounds worse than the Animax Asia dubs that they have done in Singapore.
At least some English teachers got some work?

Edit: It must have been cheaper for them to just license the Japanese dub? Or did they want to appease the dub only people? (I know you all hate the Muramasa localization. :lol)

duckroll said:
Wow... that's startling.
I would have guessed this was dubbed at Odex in Singapore.
But a dub done directly in Japan? Yikes, even Singapore might have been better.

duckroll

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Wow... that's startling.
I would have guessed this was dubbed at Odex in Singapore.
But a dub done directly in Japan? Yikes, even Singapore might have been better.

Ignition probably doesn't have the contacts that Bandai Entertainment does. :lol

Haunted

cosmicblizzard said:
Nah, I was just lazy. I'm not a very good official thread maker :/
Still terrible that such a screenshot even exists. Replace it with a better one when you find the time. :)

Top Bottom