• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archie Comics to introduce first gay character

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, apparently Archie Comics will be introducing a gay character in an upcoming issue of Veronica:

i27ble.jpg

Granted, Kevin here seems to be a desexualized character who's written to be as bland and inoffensive as possible, but that's what you'd expect from any Archie comic. It's refreshing, and genuinely progressive, for an American producer of children's entertainment to abandon the view that merely acknowledging the existence of homosexuality is something that's potentially inappropriate for children. Maybe Saturday morning cartoons will follow someday.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
children's entertainment? I know of zero children now and for the past 20 years who have actually ever read Archie comics.

gdt

AlteredBeast said:
children's entertainment? I know of zero children now and for the past 20 years who have actually ever read Archie comics.

This.

In fact, children don't read comics at all. NONE.

Medalion said:
You mean Archie wasn't in the closet this whole time?

Archie isn't gay. He is just a cheating rat bastard that has strung along two women for the better part of 80 years.

Jughead has never shown any sexual preference one way or the other, except may to food. In fact, if someone said there was a comic of him fucking a double cheeseburger, I wouldn't be surprised.

Alucard

Banned
I used to have over 100 Archie comics when I was a kid. I'm surprised that they're still making them, since I have never ever seen someone go out of their way to pick one up as an impulse buy in the grocery store line. I guess there are hardcores out there who still love 'em, though.

Full respect to Archie comics for entertaining me in my younger days.

Archie and Jughead: Hey Reggie! Do you want to join our new group? It's called LOAF.
Reggie: LOAF? What does that stand for?
Archie and Jughead: It doesn't stand for anything; it's just what we do.

Oh, Archie! HAW-HAW!

AlteredBeast said:

Well, somehow, the comics sell well enough to keep the company afloat, and it can't be all (or even mostly) creepy adult readers.

It may have been that I only read this comic when I was like 10 but the writing seems really bad

archie-fail.jpg

And Jughead is a prick in the comic in the OP

Rorschach said:
What is the deal between those three? I thought two of them got married...

I just looked through wikipedia, and there is a third that's not as famous: Cheryl Blossom who was removed in the 80s for being too damned hot.

X26

Banned
Used to read them when I was a kid, they weren't bad for what they were.

And what is this, they aren't in color anymore?

bionic77

knee said:
*2nd gay character.

(The first was archie)
Archie is a pimp and juggles the two hottest girls in the town.

I always thought Jughead was the sexual deviant choosing burgers and pizza over women.

I used to read Archie as a kid. That comic had the laziest writers of all time. They kept recycling the same shit they started with from the 30s.

Viewt said:
Gay characters? Psh. Mix it up again and bring back The Punisher!

ArchiePunisher.jpg

EDIT: GODDAMNIT.

Damnit, I was about to post that myself.

Good to know the Punisher has a lot of love on GAF though (granted I'm of the Ennis and the Lundgren/Stevenson variety).

I have a copy of that Archie vs Punisher team-up it's awesome.

I also have a hundred or so Double Digests. Archie comics are my weakness.

shoplifter

AlteredBeast said:

This - I don't know anyone under 30 that has ever read Archie. I honestly think that their audience is 30s-40s agers.

Alucard

Banned
Router said:
Archie is not fucking Mr. Weatherbee!

You stole mine.

"Archie was the bitch and Jughead was the butch. That's why Jughead wears that crown-looking hat all the time. He the king of queen Archie's world."

JeTmAn81

Gary Whitta said:
Oh I'm afraid not. My copy has a different cover though.

aeumgj.jpg

Oh yes, that's the other cover, with the title reversed. Not sure why they did that, except perhaps to make sure the world knew that Marvel and Archie Comics were on equal footing as publishers :lol

Anyway, I love me some Archie. I used to read them all the time as a kid, and there's a stack of them still sitting around at my parents' house somewhere. My girlfriend loves them too. I got her one from the grocery store a few weeks ago as a little surprise. We're both under 30, so there ya go.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Archie was the bitch and Jughead was the butch- that's why Jughead wear the crown looking hat all the time: he's the king of queen Archie's world

Calcaneus

gdt5016 said:
This.

In fact, children don't read comics at all. NONE.
That's pretty sad, but there's like no where to find comics anymore. The only places I even encounter single issues anymore are comic shops or regular book stores.

I have to give props to Archie Comics being one of three (the other two being DC and Marvel) that have survived from the Golden Age to now.

I had some of those 'Christian' Archie comics when I was a kid. God they were horrible. They weren't actually published by Archie Comics, they were licensed out to some christian publisher that sold them in certain restaurant chains.

The founder of Archie Comics and many of the top artists were actually Jewish.

Dan DeCarlo, the definitive Archie artist, was a huge influence on contemporary comic artists like Paul Dini and the Hernandez Bros, and honestly on tons of others but in a less obvious way.

Axiom

SuperAngelo64 said:
The most confusing thing about Al Hartley is that while he totally adopted the Dan Decarlo style, his female characters were way curvier and feminine.

For a guy so into his religion, he sure made a young me think the wrong things about Veronica.

The great thing about Archie comics, and honestly something Archie themselves don't seem to get is that the stories told in them are quite predictable and universal in appeal - young, old, male and female. You can plonk down some old Archie's in front of them and they'll all have an equal chance of enjoying it.
Serious props for to Archie for doing this, and having Veronica hitting on a gay dude is a pretty amusing idea given her few character traits.

Now if they'd only stop forgetting Dan Decarlo existed. It's like Marvel trying to deny Stan Lee had anything to do with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom