• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arctic Blast from Siberia (Polar Vortex) headed our way next week. Temps in -30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polar vortex unleashed: Severe cold snap likely in U.S. next week

sfctmin_006h.cwg_conus.png&w=480

Expected Temps next week (without windchill)

Simulation of arctic blast from Monday (12/12) to Thursday (12/15)

sfct_anom.cwg_conus-2.png

Departure from Normal Temps Next Wednesday (12/14)

And it's coming from Siberia

CzFWRjHXcAANaW9.jpg

A punishing blast of Arctic air will plunge into the northern half of the Lower 48 in five to seven days, dispensing some of the most frigid air since 2014 or 2015 in some areas.

“[The] upper-level atmosphere configuration [is] very similar in scale and magnitude as infamous January 2014 #PolarVortex”, tweeted Ryan Maue, a meteorologist with WeatherBell Analytics.

Computer models are unanimous in predicting that such a cold wave will occur, although they differ some on exactly how cold and how far south and east the Arctic air will penetrate. It is unlikely that this cold wave will be as intense as the January 2014 event because it is happening earlier in the winter and less snow is on the ground in North America (snow cover acts like a freezer and helps cold air masses stay cold when they exit the Arctic).

The bitter cold air is expected to first arrive in the northern Rockies and northern Plains on Sunday. It should reach Chicago on Tuesday and the northeast United States by Wednesday or Thursday.

While subject to change, the GFS model predicts temperatures from Chicago to western Montana to be 30 to 50 degrees colder than normal next Wednesday morning.

A large area from the Great Lakes through the Dakotas and into Wyoming and Montana are predicted to have low temperatures well below zero with even colder wind chills — as low as minus-30 to minus-40 degrees.

Minneapolis could have several days with highs in the single digits and lows below zero during the middle part of next week

The frigid air will be sourced from Siberia, which has experienced punishing and sometimes record cold in recent weeks
Here's why
Models show the cold air spilling into the Lower 48 as a lobe of the polar vortex over the northern part of the Baffin Bay (west of Greenland) breaks off and plunges south into south-central Canada. Its counter-clockwise circulation, coupled with two companion lobes of the vortex to its north, helps create what is essentially a superhighway for bitter cold air to stream across Siberia over the North Pole and into North America.
Capture-vortex.png

European model simulation of high-altitude weather pattern next Tuesday. The red painted line is illustrative of cross-polar flow transporting frigid air into Lower 48. A lobe of the polar vortex, having broken off from the northern part of Baffin Bay, is over south-central Canada. (WeatherBell.com)

Stay Frosty!

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Damn it, I was enjoying this mild fall. I only scraped my car windows once this season.

Dazzler

It's been unseasonably cold in the PNW all week, we're supposed to get a dump of snow in Vancouver later today, which is quite rare

Alright started for us today here in Northeast Ohio. High of 29 today and currently snowing.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS. Summer and fall were too fucking hot. I worship the snow and cold weather. Maximum comfy weather.

faint.

Holy shit at -46. Is it weird that I want to know how that feels?

e: Stop quoting me: I realized my mistake before most of you pointed it out. See the other posts ITT.

mnannola

Don't worry everyone, I will leave my Ford Excursion running all day to help get us back to American temperatures.

Also, look at that discrepancy. +20 degrees average in northern California, but then - 50 degrees average in Montana. Shit is wack.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Alright started for us today here in Northeast Ohio. High of 29 today and currently snowing.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS. Summer and fall were too fucking hot. I worship the snow and cold weather. Maximum comfy weather.

Me too.

Just moved to St. Louis from Houston and the weather lately has been like biting into a York Peppermint Patty.

faint.

This is departure from normal temp....not what the forecasted temp is going to be. For example, say the average temp here in chicago is 30 this time of year, the forecasted temp will be -4.....so yes it'll be cold...but not as cold as this map will let you believe.

Yeah, I was initially misled as well. Then I realized the entire south would be in single digits.

Jesus, it's going to -8 in Memphis. That means it's probably be even cooler where I'm at. Going to suck going to work with all that mess.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Jesus, it's going to -8 in Memphis. That means it's probably be even cooler where I'm at. Going to suck going to work with all that mess.

Departure temps.

So eight below the normal...not minus 8 degrees.

OP should really add a disclaimer for people misinterpreting the map.

Philia

Also, look at that discrepancy. +20 degrees average in northern California, but then - 50 degrees average in Montana. Shit is wack.

Montana isn't to be fucked with for sure. I've heard stories about the harsh winds there. Like REAL "GTFO" harsh weather there.

This is departure from normal temp....not what the forecasted temp is going to be. For example, say the average temp here in chicago is 30 this time of year, the forecasted temp will be -4.....so yes it'll be cold...but not as cold as this map will let you believe.

Shit... how do you convert this to Celsius then?

Why isn't this on other weather channels? San Jose says 9 degrees next wednesday, every single weather forecast I can find says 50 something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom