• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Amiibos as "cheat codes" an appropriate way to go moving forward? (BOTW related)

ghibli99

If I didn't know about it, it wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the game. It's single player too, so it's not like I'm against other players with advantages over me. I look at it as a cool bonus, nothing more. I'm happy that it's even an option to use them across multiple titles, to be perfectly honest, and that they're not just tied to a single game or franchise.

Nope. You also miss out on Biggoron's Sword. Also an exclusive of that Amiibo.

Kind of speechless tbh. How is this at all justifiable? I vaguely understand locking content behind a separate purchase, but if it's a physical object that you made a small quantity of for a few months, that's bullshit. What happens in 100 years when it's essentially impossible to obtain a functional amiibo?

So if I'm not willing to spend $60 on an Ocarina of Time amiibo I can never have the OOT gear in Breath of the Wild?

Wait a week or two and it'll restock and be 13 bucks again.

Kind of speechless tbh. How is this at all justifiable? I vaguely understand locking content behind a separate purchase, but if it's a physical object that you made a small quantity of for a few months, that's bullshit. What happens in 100 years when it's essentially impossible to obtain a functional amiibo?

Except that's not what happened. The 30th anniversary ones have been readily available since they came out, UNTIL BotW hit, and even then I saw places with them till like 2 or 3 days ago. The FUD and melodrama in this thread is fucking ridiculous.

Amiibo's data can be duplicated like anything else.

The point of amiibos were to buy one figure and get bonuses in multiple games using the same figure, like Skylanders. No one is complaining about Skylanders, or Disney Infinity. Hell, infinity pulled the plug on the servers and no one can download toyboxes from each other anymore, that's way more egregious IMO.

I learned today via Twitter than you can effectively save-scum amiibo scans to get the RNG loot you want (depending on the Amiibo) skipping the day lock. That is kind of a cheat.

How's this done? Totally planning on doing this because adding RNG on top of having to pay 15 bucks for the privilege of unlocking a costume is insulting tbh.

So you like Nintendo fucking over other customers just because they don't want an extra plastic toy? Why?

Well, if you must have All the Things then you see it as being "fucked over" which was my original point. I don't comprehend people who get heated over toys coming with game bonuses. If somebody spends money on something and I don't, and they get a nifty thing and I don't. I just shrug. I don't feel "fucked over".

getting a better horse when you can get horses is something I'm okay with

is there a way to replicate what wolf link does? I haven't seen a way to tame any wildlife or dogs or anything in the game yet so that kind of stuff I don't like

100 years?

You won't be able to find a functional Switch or Wii U by then so it won't matter.

sensui-tomo

in 100 years i doubt the switch will continue to work. and if you emulate it at that point you'd just use some amiibo cheat or whatever. also people shouldnt act like they're great weapons, they all break, and its still RNG to get them (unless you save scum or exploit the clock to get it by scanning it about 10 + times and still not getting it).
Do note, i do believe they should sell the costumes at the very least as a seperate pack for like $3 a pack (with the weapon and you'd only get it once)

Well, if you must have All the Things then you see it as being "fucked over" which was my original point. I don't comprehend people who get heated over toys coming with game bonuses. If somebody spends money on something and I don't, and they get a nifty thing and I don't. I just shrug. I don't feel "fucked over".

Because they don't offer the choice for people to just buy the outfits as DLC, which is shitty. The game content and the figure are two separate things and people shouldn't be forced to shell out 15 bucks for a piece of plastic DLC. It's just anti-consumer.

de_reddy

Neo Member
Amiibo's data can be duplicated like anything else.

I think I've already seen amiibo data replicators on store shelves.

getting a better horse when you can get horses is something I'm okay with

is there a way to replicate what wolf link does? I haven't seen a way to tame any wildlife or dogs or anything in the game yet so that kind of stuff I don't like

Not too far in the game yet, but it would amaze me if amiibo Epona is the best horse in the game. I already noticed you can feed dogs and this gives them pink clouds just like petting horses does, so maybe you can?

The smash link may be my best dlc purchase ever. Nintendo really hit out of the park with his value.

pablito

So this thread is saying you can't get some stuff without the amiibos.

Another thread is saying you just get them earlier.

I don't know what to believe T_T

edit: Went back to the other thread. Yeah, stuff is locked.

kunonabi

Amiibo should offer absolutely nothing within a game that cannot also be obtained without them. They should absolutely not have any exclusive content associated with them. Be it cheats, dungeons, characters, skins, etc.

Exclusive content of any kind locked behind buying an Amiibo is totally unacceptable really.

It's completely acceptable actually. The content was made for the amiibo and wouldn't have necessarily existed otherwise.

sensui-tomo

The smash link may be my best dlc purchase ever. Nintendo really hit out of the park with his value.

lets see and add to the list if i miss something.
Smash link has functionality for
Smash :that trainer thingy
Mario Kart 8 : Costume for Mii Driver
Yoshi wooly world: some unique color thing?
Hyrule Warriors: A weapon(which if it was dlc would be $3 given Koei tecmo's past on weapon dlc for Dynasty warriors)
Super Mario Maker: Link in game (i think he is obtainable anyways?)
Ace Combat 3d:custom paint jet
Breath of the wild: Twilight outfit + epona + some random shit and food
One Piece Grand Battle X: Unlocks link outfit for Zoro/zolo (i dont know.. the sword dude)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD: replenish arrows

Interesting thread. I think the cheat code scenarios you describe is a small price to pay for the sheer magic of the experience. But I think it can easily cross a line when you're pay walling content off behind Amiibo. Cosmetics might be in that grey area where I don't care, but I can understand the frustration some might have.

I personally have no interest in them so I'm always looking at it from the angle, why are you holding back my experience?

Amiibo cards are kind of a whole different thing. When the game is set up to take advantage of blind card packs then it's a more delicate balancing act. Was the original game full price? etc

Wereroku

Not too far in the game yet, but it would amaze me if amiibo Epona is the best horse in the game. I already noticed you can feed dogs and this gives them pink clouds just like petting horses does, so maybe you can?

Epona is the best horse in the game as far as I have seen. There are a few special horses where one stat is a 5 but they decrease one of the other stats to 3. There is not a horse comparable to Epona in the game currently.

It's completely acceptable actually. The content was made for the amiibo and wouldn't have necessarily existed otherwise.

Yeah sure they are making only the season pass content and they would have not made and released this as dlc at the same time without amiibo's. That is iron logic right there.

Because they don't offer the choice for people to just buy the outfits as DLC, which is shitty. The game content and the figure are two separate things and people shouldn't be forced to shell out 15 bucks for a piece of plastic DLC. It's just anti-consumer.

Not at all. The whole point of the Amiibo collectible is they come with perks. It's not a perk if everyone can just buy it separately. The figures also accrue value as more perks are added. It's a nifty idea for a collectible figurine. Your anti-consumer comment is absurd.

Not at all. The whole point of the Amiibo collectible is they come with perks. It's not a perk if everyone can just buy it separately. The figures also accrue value as more perks are added. It's a nifty idea for a collectible figurine. Your anti-consumer comment is absurd.

The perk is you get a figure, that you pay for. This isn't complicated. In-game content should be able to be purchased separately for a lower price.

For Hyrule Warriors, the 5 a day bonus is a welcome because it's just less time you have to spend gathering materials tediously. In that aspect I don't consider it a cheat at all.

Wereroku

Not at all. The whole point of the Amiibo collectible is they come with perks. It's not a perk if everyone can just buy it separately. The figures also accrue value as more perks are added. It's a nifty idea for a collectible figurine.

Why couldn't the perk be that they get that accumulating value without paying for it. Being ok with Nintendo punishing some of their customers is a nice pro corporate attitude you have there. Has Nintendo ever done wrong in your eyes?

Not at all. The whole point of the Amiibo collectible is they come with perks. It's not a perk if everyone can just buy it separately. The figures also accrue value as more perks are added. It's a nifty idea for a collectible figurine.

And a shitty idea if you have no interest in collectable figurines.

It sucks that Nintendo expects me to buy a bunch of useless plastic garbage to get the most out of their games these days.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
lol.. amiibos piss me off....

my friends and I were just exclaiming last week how the amiibo craze (like the actual craziness in stock and pricing) had finally faded away. And you could pretty much get any amiibo you wanted..

and the BOTW hit.

and now Toon Link and Smash Link are basically impossible to get.

fuck.

as for using them as unlockables.. I think the people who are most likely to bitch about it are the ones who will bitch about ANY sort of DLC/cross-game/pre-order/etc bonus for games. basically the "back in my day EVERYTHING was included in the game..." (and for the record, I'm 42, so "back in my day" was the birth of home video games..)

for me.. I agree with many in this thread. Amiibos are actually one of the better ways to unlock. It's a one-time purchase (per amiibo) that ends up moving across multiple games. Also stuff like Wolf Link are actually REALLY clever.

de_reddy

Neo Member
lets see and add to the list if i miss something.
Smash link has functionality for
Smash :that trainer thingy
Mario Kart 8 : Costume for Mii Driver
Yoshi wooly world: some unique color thing?
Hyrule Warriors: A weapon(which if it was dlc would be $3 given Koei tecmo's past on weapon dlc for Dynasty warriors)
Super Mario Maker: Link in game (i think he is obtainable anyways?)
Ace Combat 3d:custom paint jet
Breath of the wild: Twilight outfit + epona + some random shit and food
One Piece Grand Battle X: Unlocks link outfit for Zoro/zolo (i dont know.. the sword dude)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD: replenish arrows

Can only add Animal Crossing and Picross off the top of my head. But it's stil a lot af value for a 10$ purchase, considering you like the figure too.

The perk is you get a figure, that you pay for. This isn't complicated. In-game content should be able to be purchased separately for a lower price.

You think about it in exactly the opposite direction I do. I see it as toys with perks, not games with figurines. That's the crux of the issue and why people can't agree and why I can't get upset over this.

Why couldn't the perk be that they get that accumulating value without paying for it. Being ok with Nintendo punishing some of their customers is a nice pro corporate attitude you have there. Has Nintendo ever done wrong in your eyes?

Step back and take a breath. If the only way you can interact with somebody trying to lay out a calm perspective that happens to be different from yours is to attack them directly and cry shill then I will block you.

And a shitty idea if you have no interest in collectable figurines.

It sucks that Nintendo expects me to buy a bunch of useless plastic garbage to get the most out of their games these days.

You don't get all the things. Neither do I. The only difference here is I don't feel punished and can't be moved to get upset about it.

sensui-tomo

You think about it in exactly the opposite direction I do. I see it as toys with perks, not games with figurines. That's the crux of the issue and why people can't agree and why I can't get upset over this.

Ditto, if the toys didnt have perks I dont think people would have wanted them as badly, hell people wanted the Fire emblem stuff solely to unlock characters for the 2 games that used them.
Note: Some do look great and I can see someone collecting them just to have the set of smash characters.

mrk8885

Banned
I think they handled amiibos great with BOTW. They're helpful but provide nothing necessary. Sure a bunch of people are crying about not getting Epona...but it's not like you can't obtain other great horses. It's a little bonus to loyal fans who love amiibos. People would be up in arms if they were selling Epona DLC...but when it's a figure that many of already have then it's just a cool perk.

They've had a problem for a long time having amiibos do useful things. Now that they're somewhat useful, people are now upset they are doing something.

DigiDom

Just finished the main story and got the true ending. I only got to use the smash link amiibo 4 times. In the end all I got was a few fruits and some of the twilight set. So I wouldn't say its game breaking.
I didn't realize some of the items were exclusive and I definitely can see how this would piss some people off. It wouldn't be so bad if the amiibo were available without paying ridiculous prices.

Wereroku

Step back and take a breath. If the only way you can interact with somebody trying to lay out a calm perspective that happens to be different from yours is to attack them directly and cry shill then I will block you.

I am not attacking you I am asking if Nintendo has ever done wrong in your eyes. This is them straight up punishing their customers for not buying something. You said you liked that they were doing this and I was trying to figure out why. You seem to not care about the other customers just because you don't care to have all of the outfits.

I think they handled amiibos great with BOTW. They're helpful but provide nothing necessary. Sure a bunch of people are crying about not getting Epona...but it's not like you can't obtain other great horses. It's a little bonus to loyal fans who love amiibos. People would be up in arms if they were selling Epona DLC...but when it's a figure that many of already have then it's just a cool perk.

They've had a problem for a long time having amiibos do useful things. Now that they're somewhat useful, people are now upset they are doing something.

Well no you can't get a horse that is comparable to Epona in stats. She is one of the best horses in the game. Also I doubt anyone would be up in arms about being given the chance to get the outfits without buying the Amiibo.

"A bonus to loyal fans."

I've only bought every single Zelda game since Link to the Past, some of them multiple times. Guess I'm not loyal enough because I don't want to buy a bunch of boring toys.

Ditto, if the toys didnt have perks I dont think people would have wanted them as badly, hell people wanted the Fire emblem stuff solely to unlock characters for the 2 games that used them.
Note: Some do look great and I can see someone collecting them just to have the set of smash characters.

I collect them as they are nice figures at a low cost and feature characters that would otherwise be unlikely to get merchandise. I find the perks delightful extras I would not have gotten otherwise.

I am not attacking you I am asking if Nintendo has ever done wrong in your eyes. This is them straight up punishing their customers for not buying something. You said you liked that they were doing this and I was trying to figure out why. You seem to not care about the other customers just because you don't care to have all of the outfits.

Asking if I feel Nintendo can do no wrong because I disagree with your stance on this issue is rather incendiary and irrelevant. To even answer that question I'd have to go off topic so I'm going to ignore it. On Amiibos specifically, I've already laid out how I feel about them. I find the idea of anybody being punished for not buying them silly but I'm not blind to how that view can be formed. If you want something, no matter how trivial it might be, and you need to purchase some additional product to get it from the game, I understand that can feel like a nuisance. I just can't see why people would care so much so long as portions of the core game aren't locked behind the figures. I can see annoyed. I can see irritated. But the vitriol and hand ringing and slinging of anti consumer accusations over something I see as so minor and harmless just boggles my mind. I can't muster the level of passion some people put into it.

Edit: So let me ask you, why do you care so much? Why must you have those perks, why does it bother you that you "can't"?

kunonabi

Actually this is them continuing to support and reward customers for a purchase years after the sale. That's what you want companies to do.

I collect them as they are nice figures at a low cost and feature characters that would otherwise be unlikely to get merchandise. I find the perks delightful extras I would not have gotten otherwise.

Okay, so you have a lot of money and don't care since you're buying the amiibos anyway, got it. Now I see why you've convinced yourself that it's perfectly fine that Nintendo engages in blatantly anti-consumer practices.

Again, tying the perks to the amiibos is fine, that's added value. Not allowing people to just purchase things like costumes as DLC is not fine. You can't have it both ways and say the amiibos are nice collectible toys AND say that they should be the only way to get in-game content. You're paying for both the toy and the DLC, I just want the option to pay for the DLC alone.

I would say the only BotW amiibo that could be considered cheating or p2w is the Smash Zelda. She gives you the Twilight Bow which has high durability, unlimited arrows, and special light arrows that aren't affected by gravity.

I just ordered one.

Wereroku

apparently someone found a horse that has infinite sprint in the OT, so epona no longer best horse?

It can't be registered.

Actually this is them continuing to support and reward customers for a purchase years after the sale. That's what you want companies to do.
Yes they are rewarding one group by punishing another. They could just give you the DLC for free and let others buy it.

You get what you pay for..
Scanned in the Link Smash amiibo, horse ran away when i got attacked by a goblin and is gone for good now. After that all i got was pants for the next two days.

Cels

if they had an interest in providing the bonus content to everyone out there, then they would offer some way to get the extra content without also buying the figures, that way people who have no interest in the figurines can still get the extra content and nintendo still gets some money from people who would never buy the figurines otherwise (or even if they couldn't due to stock issues)

but obviously they view it differently. they don't want to do so, and the way amiibo are flying off the shelves it seems like it's working for them

Wereroku

So can you just plop down your Amiibo multiple times and get these items over and over again?

Once every 24 hours. But apparently you can save scum and guarantee that you get what you want.

You get what you pay for..
Scanned in the Link Smash amiibo, horse ran away when i got attacked by a goblin and is gone for good now. After that all i got was pants for the next two days.

An in game npc can revive her and also the Amiibo can spawn her again.

I would say the only BotW amiibo that could be considered cheating or p2w is the Smash Zelda. She gives you the Twilight Bow which has high durability, unlimited arrows, and special light arrows that aren't affected by gravity.

I just ordered one.

Does it still break though? If so its not that great if its only good for 15 to 20 shots I have the amiibo and I haven't gotten the bow yet due to the randomness.

diaspora

Well no you can't get a horse that is comparable to Epona in stats. She is one of the best horses in the game. Also I doubt anyone would be up in arms about being given the chance to get the outfits without buying the Amiibo.
This is Nintendo charging people for goods.

Top Bottom