• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Amiibos as "cheat codes" an appropriate way to go moving forward? (BOTW related)

I was disappointed to find out Epona was locked behind an Amiibo. I don't think you can even buy that Link in the UK any more.

Again, the Smash Bros TP Link has been one of the best sellers, I HIGHLY doubt it's not sold any more in the UK. Even if it was the thing has sold crazy numbers and I bet you could find a used one for dirt cheap.

I don't own an Amiibo and will probably never own one, but think this is dope as fuck for people who bought them. I really dunno why anyone would give a shit.

This is pretty much my opinion on the matter. None of this is a big deal, but it's really cool if you've got one.

Wereroku

I feel like BotW amiibo use is one of the bigger game changers compared to other titles, if it just granted you costumes that's one thing but since you get weapon and armor rewards too as well as random plants or food it's quite a game changer.

I honestly don't mind it too much, items you get will break after a few battles and
horses like Epona are only 4 star
so there's still a wild 5 star out there somewhere.

No she has the most balanced stats in the game. There are some with a 5 star in one stat but to compensate the have a 3 somewhere else.

BOTW probably has the worst implementation of Amiibos that I have seen. If it was just the 24hr bonus of food and weapons that would be cool rr just an easy unlock of the special items but instead they want to force people to buy a shit plastic toy for the throwback stuff that most companies include already or as cheaper dlc.

Nottle

That's the thing with amiibo they do something too cool and people complain that you have to buy some additional thing to get content that should have been in the game anyways.

They do something too trivial and people complain the the amiibo is useless and a waste.

Personally I'm ok with it, like there is plenty of other dope shit in the game, and while the items are neat they are non canon cameo stuff in my mind. This Link doesn't need to dress exactly like the hero of time because he isn't him, he's his own person. Now if in game you were searching around and happened to stumble upon some ancient gear from passed down though the ages that would be cool. But I have no desire to dress up as Wind Waker Link because I'm not Wind Waker Link.

Wereroku

That's the thing with amiibo they do something too cool and people complain that you have to buy some additional thing to get content that should have been in the game anyways.

They do something too trivial and people complain the the amiibo is useless and a waste.

Personally I'm ok with it, like there is plenty of other dope shit in the game, and while the items are neat they are non canon cameo stuff in my mind. This Link doesn't need to dress exactly like the hero of time because he isn't him, he's his own person. Now if in game you were searching around and happened to stumble upon some ancient gear from passed down though the ages that would be cool. But I have no desire to dress up as Wind Waker Link because I'm not Wind Waker Link.

Alternatively they could give people another way to buy the amiibo exclusive stuff so the amiibo retain their perks without punishing other customers.

I have all the Smash Bros Amiibo, and all of the Legend of Zelda amiibo excluding the BoTW ones.

They are great if you're going for nostalgia. I scanned Epona off my Smash Brothers Link and registered her inside the game. Got some nice easter egg like dialog for doing so.

As for the other Zelda amiibo that spawn items, that might be a little too much. The time it takes to get the harvest-able items [fish, the herbs, and meat] takes longer to get versus putting the amiibo on the Switch and having them spawn in--plus I'm not using my ammo or my weapons which break on several uses.

To put this into perspective. You can farm the amiibos items, cook, then flip for cash once a day. You basically have unlimited amount of rupees since you can bank anywhere from 150-250 rupees depending on the dish that is made.

I decided to exploit this route when I needed the cash to get armor, but for the most part most of the game has been just playing it smartly and surviving the best I could without the amiibo buffs.

RPGCrazied

What makes it worse is a lot of those Amiibo's that give out exclusive items you can't even buy anymore. I went on a hunt yesterday in most stores and they don't carry the Ocarina of Time or Toon Link at all, even online its hard to find and if you do its triple the price.

Either make more Nintendo or don't do this.

Zafir

Most of them were already £12.99 when I last bought them I swear. Hell the Wolf Link is that price so it can't have been with botw?
Again, the Smash Bros TP Link has been one of the best sellers, I HIGHLY doubt it's not sold any more in the UK. Even if it was the thing has sold crazy numbers and I bet you could find a used one for dirt cheap.
You're welcome to take a look.

I already looked at every single place I know that sells Amiibos and every single one had the Smash link out of stock.

Edit: I can't see any cheap on ebay either.

I think putting exclusive in game items behind them is bullshit personally especially the way Zelda did it. Most of those old Amiibo are hard as hell to find at this point so unless you have collected them for awhile goodluck.

Dreavus

I was lucky enough to get an exclusive item when I tried last night, but I'm finding I'm not really interested in the costumes. I'd rather wear what I find in the game.

...They locked Epona behind an amiibo? ��

You also don't get a
hookshot
at all. This game takes everything you love, and...

tumblr_nwzq2u7gzx1tkywhbo1_500.gif

I definitely have problems with Amiibo being used for exclusive game unlocks, but it moreso boils down to Nintendo being too protective. I buy Amiibo for games/characters I really like, but I want to keep everything in the box.

The stupid piece of foil they put in the box to block out scanning really annoys me, as I own the darn figure but can't get the game content! I really wish they would either remove that completely, or find some workaround so people can't just scan them at retail without purchasing.

I definitely have problems with Amiibo being used for exclusive game unlocks, but it moreso boils down to Nintendo being too protective. I buy Amiibo for games/characters I really like, but I want to keep everything in the box.

The stupid piece of foil they put in the box to block out scanning really annoys me, as I own the darn figure but can't get the game content! I really wish they would either remove that completely, or find some workaround so people can't just scan them at retail without purchasing.

It's so with the 3DS, you couldn't just scan them in store.
The alternative would be plastic housing that creates enough space in between X the amount of amiibos in EVERY STORE EVERYWHERE.
They expect you to take it out and use it. if you want something to keep in box, buy a figma.

maxcriden

I feel the same way, man. I think I read you can cut out a square or something to do it, though. And then, I also read the BOTW ones (the ones that don't have exclusive content) it's impossible to do that with. I read all that here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350482&highlight=amiibo

Most of them were already £12.99 when I last bought them I swear. Hell the Wolf Link is that price so it can't have been with botw?

I already looked at every single place I know that sells Amiibos and every single one had the Smash link out of stock.

I was lucky enough to get an exclusive item when I tried last night, but I'm finding I'm not really interested in the costumes. I'd rather wear what I find in the game.

That's how I think I might feel, too... potentially... I might just be trying to rationalize being okay with not getting all the costumes though!

What makes it worse is a lot of those Amiibo's that give out exclusive items you can't even buy anymore. I went on a hunt yesterday in most stores and they don't carry the Ocarina of Time or Toon Link at all, even online its hard to find and if you do its triple the price.

I think putting exclusive in game items behind them is bullshit personally especially the way Zelda did it. Most of those old Amiibo are hard as hell to find at this point so unless you have collected them for awhile goodluck.

I strongly recommend you guys post in BST (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117123), see if anyone has recently offered those in there, and post on GameTZ (and add the items for trades on there to see if you have any matches) and CAG as well and check recent posts on those too. I'm hopeful you can do better than unreasonable eBay prices.

Also, Wal-Mart and I think Target at the least are clearing their amiibo stock, including 30th Anniversary Zelda amiibos, and I think GameStop might have some good amiibos in clearance/normal as well, so I'd recommend those avenues for those in the US.

teaveee

I'd think this was a big deal if the amiibos gave you items that were an advantage in online multiplayer but in a single-player offline game what's the big deal? If you really want the armor then buy the amiibo. It's not like it's game-changing.

Crazyorloco

I haven't played the game myself, but I could imagine some of those items giving you an edge early on in the game - if not just for having extra weapons to rely on.

But no Epona
No FD Link
No green tunics until you complete all the shrines. I personally like to get my fashion souls on so less clothing bothers me.

It's pretty bullshit. Hopefully they add these as DLC or something. I looked up amiibos and they're like 20 bucks each? Fuck. That.

The amiibos can be used for multiple games

It's so with the 3DS, you couldn't just scan them in store.
The alternative would be plastic housing that creates enough space in between X the amount of amiibos in EVERY STORE EVERYWHERE.
They expect you to take it out and use it. if you want something to keep in box, buy a figma.

I know why they do it, but that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed with the practice. I'd have to double-check but I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to have an opinion here.

I feel the same way, man. I think I read you can cut out a square or something to do it, though. And then, I also read the BOTW ones (the ones that don't have exclusive content) it's impossible to do that with. I read all that here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350482&highlight=amiibo

Yeah! I saw a guide once on removing the foil without fully opening the box, but I just can't bring myself to do that. Once I've broken in there in any way, shape, or form I feel like I'd just rather open it completely. Oh well...

Robin64

Cool, thanks for this link.

Also, where do you rub your amiibos on the switch? I haven't really looked but nothing stuck out to me as the NFC spot.

There's an NFC reader in the right Joycon's stick.

Or, on the Pro Controller, top center of the pad.

I know why they do it, but that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed with the practice. I'd have to double-check but I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to have an opinion here.

Yeah! I saw a guide once on removing the foil without fully opening the box, but I just can't bring myself to do that. Once I've broken in there in any way, shape, or form I feel like I'd just rather open it completely. Oh well...

Yeah you can be annoyed, and I can state my opinion too. It's silly to keep them in boxes.

maxcriden

Yeah you can be annoyed, and I can state my opinion too. It's silly to keep them in boxes.

Why is it silly if you like the look of them in boxes? I like displaying them that way, aesthetically, a lot more than as loose figures.

I hear ya. I'm not eager to do it myself!

How does scanning a Mario amiibo in BotW not give you mushrooms?

Genius!

I like the way BotW handles amiibos, but I still hate the scarcity of amiibos. Fuck's sake Nintendo, manufacture more Zelda amiibos and less Animal Crossing ones.

DrArchon

Another solution would've been for Nintendo to tell us what each Amiibo did in BotW when they came out. Obviously they couldn't do this with the Smash line, but for the 30th anniversary ones they could've told people what items and costumes they'd unlock for you. I had no idea if anything exclusive would be locked behind the non-Wolf Link Amiibo, so I didn't get any of the 30th anniversary ones, and now I'm eyeing OoT Link on Amazon and the cheapest one is $45.

But no. Everything's gotta be a mystery.

To each his/her own! I prefer to keep them in boxes.

Why is it silly if you like the look of them in boxes? I like displaying them that way, aesthetically, a lot more than as loose figures.

It also helps that it's much easier to dust the boxes than it is to dust individual figures. I know there are plenty of people with more collectibles than me, but it would just drive me nuts to have to worry about all that stuff individually.

I like the way BotW handles amiibos, but I still hate the scarcity of amiibos. Fuck's sake Nintendo, manufacture more Zelda amiibos and less Animal Crossing ones.

The animal crossing amiibo probably shot the average amiibo buyer in the foot in that Nintendo way overestimated demand for a line of mediocre characters without a real game for them, and they ended up in bargain bins. Now they're probably back to conservative estimates for production numbers and that means they're rarer again.

RPGCrazied

Another solution would've been for Nintendo to tell us what each Amiibo did in BotW when they came out. Obviously they couldn't do this with the Smash line, but for the 30th anniversary ones they could've told people what items and costumes they'd unlock for you. I had no idea if anything exclusive would be locked behind the non-Wolf Link Amiibo, so I didn't get any of the 30th anniversary ones, and now I'm eyeing OoT Link on Amazon and the cheapest one is $45.

But no. Everything's gotta be a mystery.

Yeah, I just heard my sister found the OoT Link and paid $30 for it today. So nice of her, will have to get a thank you something.

Now I just need Toon Link. I want those costumes.

Zafir

I strongly recommend you guys post in BST (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117123), see if anyone has recently offered those in there, and post on GameTZ (and add the items for trades on there to see if you have any matches) and CAG as well and check recent posts on those too. I'm hopeful you can do better than unreasonable eBay prices.

Also, Wal-Mart and I think Target at the least are clearing their amiibo stock, including 30th Anniversary Zelda amiibos, and I think GameStop might have some good amiibos in clearance/normal as well, so I'd recommend those avenues for those in the US.

Thanks, I'll probably leave it though. I didn't get the figure in the first place for a reason and I don't really want to spend x amount of money on just being able to get Epona. :p

I'd maybe consider it if I could get it new, but since I can't, eh.

It just sucks that Epona is locked in such a way.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
I was disappointed to find out Epona was locked behind an Amiibo. I don't think you can even buy that Link in the UK any more.

I have quite a lot of Amiibos, quite a few link ones (Toon Link, Wolf Link, BotW Archer and Rider Link), but not that one. Sadly.

If I do buy an Amiibo it's generally for the figure though. I've not bought any for their game benefits.

Is that a US only thing?

In the UK only Guardian was dearer. The rest were the same prices they'd always been.

You can, it's just a bit hard to find at the moment. Keep an eye on Amazon, as I was able to order one from them a few days ago.

They are still available. They may be sold out right now, but they weren't leading up to the release of BoTW. The reason they're sold out now is because there was a run of them when the game released.

All of them were easily available on amazon literally up till like Thursday. Then they sold out and you're looking for them literally a few days after they sold out.

The old ones may not be in stores that much but you could still find them online. Like I said before Amazon had the Smash TP Link for $10 up till it sold out on Friday.

Lagamorph

Amiibo should offer absolutely nothing within a game that cannot also be obtained without them. They should absolutely not have any exclusive content associated with them. Be it cheats, dungeons, characters, skins, etc.

Exclusive content of any kind locked behind buying an Amiibo is totally unacceptable really.

SeanR1221

Lolol. My target order of BotW amiibos got canceled out of no where. Tracker said they had 4 of each. Guess that wasn't accurate.

The problem with Amiibo is people absolutely can not stand the idea that they might not get something optional in a game. I'm never going to see everything in a game as big as BotW and I'm ok with that. I'd love more Guardian arrows but I'm not buying a Guardian Amiibo to get them and this fact (and any other example of it) does not drive me up the wall. Not having a specific horse be Epona or a particular weapon or skin or whatever not be accessible to me is fine. But for some people, it's the end of days, and I do not understand that mentality. Some people get something extra because they invested in a thing, such is life and video games. Don't get hung up on it.

I'm all for nifty bonuses being exclusive to Amiibo, even the ones I don't plan to buy. I do not need all the things.

AaronMT86

I learned today via Twitter than you can effectively save-scum amiibo scans to get the RNG loot you want (depending on the Amiibo) skipping the day lock. That is kind of a cheat.

Wereroku

The problem with Amiibo is people absolutely can not stand the idea that they might not get something optional in a game. I'm never going to see everything in a game as big as BotW and I'm ok with that. I'd love more Guardian arrows but I'm not buying a Guardian Amiibo to get them and this fact (and any other example of it) does not drive me up the wall. Not having a specific horse be Epona or a particular weapon or skin or whatever not be accessible to me is fine. But for some people, it's the end of days, and I do not understand that mentality. Some people get something extra because they invested in a thing, such is life and video games. Don't get hung up on it.

I'm all for nifty bonuses being exclusive to Amiibo, even the ones I don't plan to buy. I do not need all the things.

I mean maybe in other open world games you would not encounter everything but there are only 15 armor sets in the normal game and there are 7 exclusive armor sets from Amiibo's. Not to mention the best boomerang in the game and the best horse in the game. The weapon and armor variety isn't so incredible that someone couldn't easily collect all of these.

Well I went out looking today as I had some downtime at work. Gamestop x2/Target x2/Walmart/Best Buy and a Toys R Us. I found one 8 bit Link which I bought, but didn't see any other Zelda related stuff outside of the new BoTW ones which I found all of. Zelda was the rarest. I fully regret selling my almost complete Smash collection because I couldn't find Lucina, and now that bitch is everywhere.

I mean maybe in other open world games you would not encounter everything but there are only 15 armor sets in the normal game and there are 7 exclusive armor sets from Amiibo's. Not to mention the best boomerang in the game and the best horse in the game. The weapon and armor variety isn't so incredible that someone couldn't easily collect all of these.

That just feels very trivial to me. Stronger examples of Amiibo prizes would be Wolf Link or getting the ...Spinner weapon I think, in Hyrule Warriors. I'm pretty in favor of stuff like that. I also liked the bonus levels that came with the Splatoon characters. I prefer the meaty extras even if I'm not the one getting them.

Soodanim

I expressed my opinions on Amiibo-locked DLC back when Hyrule Warriors got weapons not available outside of the toy (or in the season pass), and everyone acted like it was absolutely fine. Not just little bonus extras, whole gameplay things locked away behind a toy that's both finitely available and unwanted by all but a certain crowd.

I got a Wolf Link bundle with Twilight Princess HD because it was about the same price as the game on its own, and while I do like its function of skipping some menu stuff and loading the most recent save from the title screen, it's a very strange thing to lock away.

Wereroku

That just feels very trivial to me. Stronger examples of Amiibo prizes would be Wolf Link or getting the ...Spinner weapon I think, in Hyrule Warriors. I'm pretty in favor of stuff like that. I also liked the bonus levels that came with the Splatoon characters. I prefer the meaty extras even if I'm not the one getting them.

So you like Nintendo fucking over other customers just because they don't want an extra plastic toy? Why?

Top Bottom