• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are non-comic book reading people still stuck with 90's Image Comics image?

Non-comics readers don't even know what the fuck Image are and are just wondering when Wolverine and Batman are gonna show up in an Avengers movie.
Exactly this. These kinds of threads are always strange to me. People who are super into a thing that are weirdly out of touch about how little the average person knows abou that thing, which is usually next to nothing.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Isn't Valiant dead?

is that a joke

THE-VALIANT_001_COVER_RIVERA.jpg

Some Nobody

is that a joke

I kind of assumed he wasn't super read up on comics so I just responded honestly.

As far as this thread goes, Image is okay. I try to get into their stuff but usually I fail--too much horror/dystopia. Sex Criminals is good, so's Sex (lol) and Red One. They just tend to not be the company I go to for non-Big Two stuff.

Xe4

Banned
Between Image and Vertigo, I read a lot more comics and am far more intrested in them than I would be otherwise. Especially since I have little to no intrest in mainline DC/Marvel stuff.

Busaiku

Monstress is the only American comic I'm buyimg these days. I follow a bunch of Marvel/DC series through YouTube channels, just don't feel like dropping tons of money on them anymore.

But Monstress is really great world and characters from Marjorie Liu, with phenomenal art from Sana Takeda.

Oh, I also get Sunstone, but that's less frequent.

Descender, Wayward, and Snotgirl are also great titles, but I just haven't had the time to keep up.

_Ryo_

IDW, Darkhorse, and Image are my favourite publishers btw.

I liked Marvel's ULTIMATE line before they turned it to shit, and then totally destroyed it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
IDW, Darkhorse, and Image are my favourite publishers btw.

I liked Marvel's ULTIMATE line before they turned it to shit, and then totally destroyed it.

Darkhorse is mostly focused on foreign titles right? Like I know they handled Blacksad and Beasts of Burden.

I never knew Image in the 90s as I wasn't into comics. I only got into digital comics in the last couple years and while I like Marvel for what they do, I really enjoy the variety of Image.

Saga is my favorite, but Comixology Unlimited is giving me a chance to check out a lot of other non-superhero genres.

caliph95

Thread makes me miss Crossgen, they was way ahead of the curve in everything
I binged through classic Crossgen and that had so much potential and had a great and interesting universe

Too bad Marvel did nothing with it
They could have used it and Icon as their vertigo

Some Nobody

Darkhorse is mostly focused on foreign titles right? Like I know they handled Blacksad and Beasts of Burden.

Dark Horse: Formerly Star Wars, now random localizations of manga, Hellboy, and miscellaneous licensed films.

BOOM: Mini-Image, Power Rangers

Image: New School Vertigo

IDW: 80's Nostalgia Comics That Are Better than They Should Be

Dynamite: Pulp Licenses, Kirby Rejects, Vampirella

Oni Press: Arthouse

Antarctic Press: American Weeaboo Shit

Archie Comics: .... Come on fam.

Valiant Comics: Sci-Fi/Superhero Universe.

Chapterhouse: Canadian Superhero Universe

Catalyst Prime: Milestone Do-Over

Did I miss anything? lol

jon bones

Dark Horse: Formerly Star Wars, now random localizations of manga, Hellboy, and miscellaneous licensed films.

BOOM: Mini-Image, Power Rangers

Image: New School Vertigo

IDW: 80's Nostalgia Comics That Are Better than They Should Be

Dynamite: Pulp Licenses, Kirby Rejects, Vampirella

Oni Press: Arthouse

Antarctic Press: American Weeaboo Shit

Archie Comics: .... Come on fam.

Valiant Comics: Sci-Fi/Superhero Universe.

Chapterhouse: Canadian Superhero Universe

Catalyst Prime: Milestone Do-Over

Did I miss anything? lol

are you shitting on Waid's Archie, Afterline w/ Archie & Chilling Tales of Sabrina?

Slayven

They even did Marvel unlimited years before that was a thing. I used to sub. Read a large chunk of their output.

I binged through classic Crossgen and that had so much potential and had a great and interesting universe

Too bad Marvel did nothing with it
They could have used it and Icon as their vertigo

Them doing the Jump format was brilliant. BOHICA will always be god tier

Some Nobody

are you shitting on Waid's Archie, Afterline w/ Archie & Chilling Tales of Sabrina?

No, I just mean if I'm summing up different publishers, and I get to Archie....I shouldn't really have to tell you what they make, ya dig?

If I were going to shit on something it'd have been Oni Press, but I mean. There are people who truly love their work, so who am I to insult it?

Just posting to say that as someone who is really into horror comics I really appreachate all the recommendations in this thread. Lots of stuff I need to check out when I get the chance.

blackflag

Most of the comics I'm reading these days are from Image

Saga
Black Science
East vs. West
Redneck
Southern Bastards
Deadly Class
God Country (mini series, just ended)
Wicked and the Divine

There's a few more even.

Some Nobody

Most of the comics I'm reading these days are from Image

Saga
Black Science
East vs. West
Redneck
Southern Bastards
Deadly Class
God Country (mini series, just ended)
Wicked and the Divine

There's a few more even.

Meh. You heathens should've all bought Phonogram. >_<

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I figure this is a good a place as any to ask -- I stopped reading Invincible at 90-something ( think, a bit after the Whatever War) because it seemed to just go nowhere. Does it get better?

I read only the first few issues of Wolf-Man and Tech Jacket, the former I don't remember and the latter seemed way too generic. How are they now?

Last one I read was Sex Criminals. I don't remember why I stopped but I remember liking what I read.

Nah! That "bloody violent awesome heroes" phase of the 90's has more or less passed. These days heroes are either dark and gloomy, or they're trying too hard I'd say. I still ready plenty of comics, and gets enjoyment out of those however.

I don't think non-comic book readers know what Image is.

^ This. Comics are mostly niche these days, and Image was very niche as well. I doubt your average person is familiar with the company.

I figure this is a good a place as any to ask -- I stopped reading Invincible at 90-something ( think, a bit after the Whatever War) because it seemed to just go nowhere. Does it get better?

Eh, Invincible has some good storylines here and there later on, but like most of Kirkman's creation, it very much runs out of steam after a while.

As somebody who only picks up a comic maybe once every 3-5 years, no I don't think people are 'stuck' with 90's Image comics image. I think they just don't care, or are like me and would care if not for the constant reboots.

I loved Image Comics growing up. Getting older and going to art school my friends and I would joke that we were born too late... We would of been gods in the 90s.

As somebody who only picks up a comic maybe once every 3-5 years, no I don't think people are 'stuck' with 90's Image comics image. I think they just don't care, or are like me and would care if not for the constant reboots.
What do you mean by constant reboots? Image’s bread and butter is its mountain of new sci-fi/horror/thriller/fantasy series.

Non comic book reader here

I think comic books are dumb tropey superhero garbage with interminable storylines that you have to have read an encyclopedia's worth about to even care about

What is image comics

hunchback

I really miss the original 90's Lady Death and Evil Ernie. That was a fun comic company back then. The original artist is the only one that can really do them though.

I also liked 90's Shi also. That was great artwork also. Probably not too PC for today's company to do.I haven't kept up though.

I think comic books are dumb tropey superhero garbage with interminable storylines that you have to have read an encyclopedia's worth about to even care about

What is image comics
Comics are so much more than that

Comic books offer everything from acclaimed holocaust allegories and the story of John Lewis’ experiences during the Civil Rights movement to gripping crime thrillers and complex science fiction, all manners of horror from lovecraftian to mind bending Kafkaesque nightmares. Humorous satire and sprawling space operas. Cold War spy thrillers. Murders mysteries. Spielbergian adventures. Smart raunchy comedy.

jon bones

What is image comics

super heroes are a big part of “the big 2”: marvel & dc - and they can really suffer with what you are talking about

but that’s only 1 genre of comics

image is the 3rd biggest comic pub and their books spread a wide variety of genres and are considered (along with Vertigo Comic’s 80s/90s releases) to have some real literary value

Top Bottom