• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are non-comic book reading people still stuck with 90's Image Comics image?

PsychBat!

Banned
Non comic book reader here

I think comic books are dumb tropey superhero garbage with interminable storylines that you have to have read an encyclopedia's worth about to even care about

What is image comics

I find this viewpoint really interesting. This is the opinion of someone who has never even bothered to read a graphic novel, let alone a single issue of a comic book, in their life. Like I can understand not reading super hero comic books, but I know many people that have read Persopolis or Bones.

I'm not saying you haven't read any graphic novels but the way this opinion is phrased gives off that vibe.

Some Nobody

Non comic book reader here

I think comic books are dumb tropey superhero garbage with interminable storylines that you have to have read an encyclopedia's worth about to even care about

What is image comics

I'm starting to understand why people got on that "educate yourself" train. Like, you literally popped up and insulted my favorite medium AND my favorite genre (everything has tropes) and then told people to explain a comics company to you?

Who's mans is this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's funny too, aren't the first comic book stories noir and mystery?

Also shit, I forgot about Hellboy!

Comics are so much more than that

Comic books offer everything from acclaimed holocaust allegories and the story of John Lewis’ experiences during the Civil Rights movement to gripping crime thrillers and complex science fiction, all manners of horror from lovecraftian to mind bending Kafkaesque nightmares. Humorous satire and sprawling space operas. Cold War spy thrillers. Murders mysteries. Spielbergian adventures. Smart raunchy comedy.
To add to your point, there are stories like this in superhero comics. Not everything is some big continuity-bound epic event that requires the reader to know the back story of some D-list villain.

I find this viewpoint really interesting. This is the opinion of someone who has never even bothered to read a graphic novel, let alone a single issue of a comic book, in their life. Like I can understand not reading super hero comic books, but I know many people that have read Persopolis or Bones.

I'm not saying you haven't read any graphic novels but the way this opinion is phrased gives off that vibe.

I originally started collecting in the early 90s. Of course, any sufficiently diverse medium is largely dross, it's just a question of whether comics skews more heavily in that direction and I think it largely does. Even in the graphic novel world a lot of it suffers from "strong illustrator, weak writer" (My Favorite Thing Is Monsters was like this for me, for a recent-ish example). I'm at the point now where I check in to a shop maybe three or four times a year to see if Guy Delisle or similar folks have done anything interesting and pick that up.

Top Bottom