• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Sony's servers ready for the onslaught of digital PS5 owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't imagine having a digital PS5 and trying to get some games day one.

At least Astro Bot is preloaded, isn't it?

My internet is a little better than crappy, it can take me hours to get a game, sometimes the best part of a day - or more, worst case scenario. Also if it fails a few times (wifi) it will stop altogether and need manual restarting - I hope the PS5 does better.

Didn't know half of the world gets PS5 a week early, but I guess that doesn't matter server load wise.

Kagey K

Banned

My internet is a little better than crappy, it can take me hours to get a game, sometimes the best part of a day - or more, worst case scenario. Also if it fails a few times (wifi) it will stop altogether and need manual restarting - I hope the PS5 does better.

Didn't know half of the world gets PS5 a week early, but I guess that doesn't matter server load wise.
They know exactly how many PS5 they made and shipped and can account for it accordingly.

Its not like they are going to get hit with an unexpected or surprise server load.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

sendit

Do you mean Microsoft’s servers? Sony is using Azure.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Considering they are Microsoft Azure.
And a shit ton more PS4s already out there, with some massive massive game launches in recent history.

The servers will be fine.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I believe that in these kinds of situations, where you’re expecting an upcoming extreme load, you have a server solution that can scale up to handle that.

As far as PS5 Digital, I don’t expect it to change much. Outside of enthusiasts, more and more gamers were downloading their stuff anyway.

sendit

Microsoft provides the service you pay for. Still Sony's responsibility.

Sony’s responsibility to set up load balancing correctly using Azure services. However, it still falls back on physical data centers from Microsoft.

TheDude108

Day one will have glitches, like any launch, but I would like to think they've accounted for the increased uptake in digital downloads this generation.

fybyfyby

And do you think when tlou2 was released for 100+million ps4 base, few ps5 Digital editions will be a problem? There was 4 million copies of tlou2 sold digitally during 3 days.

nowhat

I think your concerns are entirely warranted.

Which is why we all should git clone https://github.com/rawmaterials/PHP-Curl-DDos-Script and run that against store.playstation.com - just to be sure.

(no, I'm not seriously suggesting that)

GymWolf

Gold Member
Most probably this

giphy.gif

yurinka

Do you mean Microsoft’s servers? Sony is using Azure.
Most servers of Azure, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud and so on are in 3rd party data centers, external companies that rent their servers to anyone of these cloud technologies.

Azure, AWS and so on are basically the platform to manage all these huge amount of servers. More than the platform itself, what is important is to make sure you 'hire' the amount of servers you need, to configure them properly and so on to handle scalability issues, trying to balance between cost, performance and amount of users allowed there.

Amazon AWS is the main market leader. It's very likely they migrated to Azure to reduce costs because it's cheaper for them than AWS.

Last edited:

sendit

Most servers of Azure, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud and so on are in 3rd party data centers, external companies that rent their servers to anyone of these cloud technologies.

Azure, AWS and so on are basically the platform to manage all these huge amount of servers. More than the platform itself, what is important is to make sure you 'hire' the amount of servers you need, to configure them properly and so on to handle scalability issues, trying to balance between cost, performance and amount of users allowed there.

Amazon AWS is the main market leader. It's very likely they migrated to Azure to reduce costs because it's cheaper for them than AWS.

On ownership of data centers. That is somewhat true. Proprietary hardware exist across the big three. Additionally, I’m sure Azure has a SLA between customers on service availability.

(SDE at one of those companies you listed)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
As someone was pointing out to me the other day.. this isn't very logical.

Sony already have games that have come out that probably sell a couple million digital copies in the first few days to the 100 million + PS4s out there.

You'll actually likely be seeing far more traffic on PSN from PS4 owners downloading games on November 12th than the lucky million or so that would have gotten a PS5 that day, especially since consoles won't all arrive on time, and different parts of the world have different servers anyways.

Eternal21

If it's anything like PS4 launch, we'll be spending most of the day not being able to sign in because PSN will be down due to all the users.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't think current PSN is on Azure guys... Sony only recently signed that deal with them and there's zero evidence they moved PSN there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom