• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Square delivering a message for Dragon Quest XI ?...

Rocky

Banned
What if the next DQ is on the 3DS successor? 2016 is when Nintendo will be aiming to launch their next hardware, so it would make sense if they had a huge game lined up for this period.

Well, since everyone is pointing out all the "traditions" associated with DQ, let's point out that DQ never releases near a system's launch. It's quite the opposite, it usually comes out near the end of a consoles life. Which could lend credence to the PS3.

crinale

I'm still going with the theory that Nintendo has some lock on the mainline DQ series as far as traditional gaming devices are concerned. I'll be very surprised if DQXI ends up on anything other than the 3DS or "New" 3DS. But hell, if they decide to launch on a console, the Wii U makes the most sense to do so. It's the best selling console in the region that matters the most. Not that I think there's any real chance it'll be a console title.

In that regard the most relevant "console" in Japan is PS3.

But the last one main entry was exactly that, wth are you talking about.
Don't be piss poor in spirit. Handheld JRPG's are no way as big in scale, graphical scope or artistic representation as there console counter parts.

Heck, the last DQ I played was 8 on PS2, playing the DS versions is definitely not the same experience.

No one is saying they aren't enjoyable on handhelds, but many want a return to the big screen.

tanooki27

Don't be piss poor in spirit. Handheld JRPG's are no way as big in scale, graphical scope or artistic representation as there console counter parts.

Heck, the last DQ I played was 8 on PS2, playing the DS versions is definitely not the same experience.

No one is saying they aren't enjoyable on handhelds, but many want a return to the big screen.

I don't disagree that 9 felt a little lacking, especially coming after 8. but I think by their nature DQ games work well on handhelds.

linko9

He's obviously referencing DQX. Like it or not, they gave it a number; it's a "mainline game."

I don't disagree that 9 felt a little lacking, especially coming after 8. but I think by their nature DQ games work well on handhelds.
they certainly do, no denying it, but it's kind of hard to not imagine everything about a DQ game simply being better on a more powerful capable machine.

My personal hope is that a Ninokuni deal happens. 3DS release with PS3/PS4 shortly after.

He's obviously referencing DQX. Like it or not, they gave it a number; it's a "mainline game."
yeah, is it any good? I was hoping since it's online it would come to PS4 to try and make SE some money.

This Games is a service mantra seems to be taking off.

also, to get back on today's announcement, the dev mentioned Toukiden as a reference point to DQ:Heroes. So maybe there's more to this than traditional Dynasty Warriors afterall?

clem84

Gold Member

If the game came out on PS3, then I'd say we have a chance of seeing it in the rest of the world. If it comes out on WiiU, then IMO localization is a lot less likely. WiiU is doing a little better now but in general still pretty bad. SE isn't going to bother localizing a game for a struggling console, especially seeing how sales of DQ outside Japan have never been that great.

If the game came out on PS3, then I'd say we have a chance of seeing it in the rest of the world. If it comes out on WiiU, then IMO localization is a lot less likely. WiiU is doing a little better now but in general still pretty bad. SE isn't going to bother localizing a game for a struggling console, especially seeing how sales of DQ outside Japan have never been that great.

Plus as someone else mentioned, since the game isn't even announced yet one would hope that at least one of FFXV or KH3 would release first so FFXV, KH3, and perhaps to some extent Type-0 (if the improvements are good and the visuals are worth it for Japanese players to upgrade since it will have been a decent amount of time since they last played it), but especially the first two, are system sellers for PS4. So by that point PS3+PS4 would be quite sizable, plus it's possible for a decent push on a PS4 DQ outside of Japan (like DQ 8) as a secondary market since PS gamers in the US and Europe do buy a good amount of niche JRPGs, even if outside Japan's not the primary market for a DQ, if they really want to put it on the big screen like they say.

I think PS3 + PS4 cross-gen would be possible and perhaps the best shot at console mainline DQ and perhaps the likeliest shot at localization.

Whether they're specifically delivering a message regarding DQXI or not, there'll be more DQ on PS4 after this.

Oh man.

Bitanator

The DS ones meaning specifically IX? Since the others released for it were console games... so are you just saying not providing the grand scale of 8 or the bigness of 7 which was in fact too big. As for the graphical scope, Dragon Quest was never the looker, 8 being the outlier here, and I'm sure the 3ds can deliver something just as good if given some love.

Shauni

True, but I was meaning more in current gen hardware. I assume they wouldn't develop the game on last gen hardware, though I guess it's not impossible.

Nintendo could conceivably pick up the localization and publishing in other regions if it were on the Wii U like they did DQIX and the remakes. I think actually it would probably be more likely than Square localizing it, or even Sony doing if it were to come out on the PS3/4.

But I don't think it's a real possibility. I only mentioned it since that console would make more sense than the PS4, since it's selling twice as much. I don't think there's a real chance it'll come out to a console, at least not as a lead platform. I'm fairly sure, based on the handling of the series in the last few years, it's destined for the 3DS or New 3DS.

Top Bottom