• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any "lost" games?

SnowTeeth

Banned
You meet with the applause of your fellows, sir

*Salutes a fellow Wingnut* :)

The least I can do as a fan is to try and get the word out that WC2 SNES is the last lost completed work that the Wing Commander community would be grateful to finally get their hands on.

It would be a shame if it were to be lost altogether as it seems like there was great effort put in to the game being more playable on the diminutive SNES hardware than the previous version.

A shout-out to wcnews.com who has consistently updated the community with DAILY news despite that the last game released back in 1998 (well besides the arcade shooter Arena in 2007). That's dedication right there.

Madao

64DD games could end up like this eventually once the disks fail.

and since there's no emulation for 64DD games, you don't even have the clunky way of experiencing them partially. once these disks fail, the games are gone forever.

why Nintendo doesn't re-release these is beyond me. back when the VC was announced, i thought this would be the way to let these lost gems shine on a new platform with a reliable distribution. it turned into the opposite and we didn't even get some popular games.

Exr

I really wanted Outrun on Ps3, kicking myself now since it forces me to hunt for it on Saturn.

B.K.

and since there's no emulation for 64DD games, you don't even have the clunky way of experiencing them partially. once these disks fail, the games are gone forever.

Have Famicom Disk games been dumped and emulated?

Most of the Satellaview games are lost, aren't they?

Frolow

Banned

why Nintendo doesn't re-release these is beyond me. back when the VC was announced, i thought this would be the way to let these lost gems shine on a new platform with a reliable distribution. it turned into the opposite and we didn't even get some popular games.

F-Zero X Expansion Kit, SimCity 64, Japan Pro Golf Tour 64, and the four Mario Artist games would be the only ones the lost.

Doshin the Giant got re-released on the Gamecube, and Doshin the Giant 2 was a weird online game that didn't have any gameplay.

Wag

Jeez no one even mentioned:

xlarge_c655fe9d2ac13c3123bd65d6228af910.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_%28video_game%29

Wow. I never knew.:)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jeez no one even mentioned:

xlarge_c655fe9d2ac13c3123bd65d6228af910.jpg

I didn't even bother searching for this one *facepalm*, amazing stories.

But that guy who said it was from a South American company? Haha, yeah sure, South Americans in game development in the 80's.

Gameboy415

@Gameboy415 Don't forget everything Irem and Donkey Kong Country.

Yeah, the fact that those were also de-listed is terrible but I was mainly referring to games that were released exclusively as Digital Downloads in my post.
The only one of the games I listed that you could still potentially purchase would be the TMNT Arcade game but that would require you to buy an arcade cab.

Those short mini-games that came with Independence Day action figures.

Good call! I'd completely forgotten about those.
I had several of them as a kid and the majority (if not all) of the Mars Attacks disks too but I think I left them behind when we moved out of my childhood home. :(

Also, I recall hearing about some JP-exclusive games being available via SEGA Channel back in the day like Alien Soldier and Mega Man: The Wily Wars.
Does anyone know if the games were localized into English or were they just the JP-versions?

Can we preemptively say large chunks of the XBone library could end up as lost games? Sorry, I am bumping the thread and that thought is on everybody lips...

So I happened to find out about another one. Quite an appropriate name too: Garfield: The Lost Levels. It was a SEGA Channel exclusive version of Garfield: Caught in the Act containing 3 levels not present in Garfield: Caught in the Act (at the cost of 3 levels in that game?). Speculation is the two games were split into two (SEGA did something similar with Clockwork Knight) to drive subscribers and game sales alike. From what I can gather no prototype or other ROM release has been found. Plus its Garfield so that rules out a re-release.

I think at this stage its pretty much lost.

Top Bottom