• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any monitors that will display 3D with the PS3?

I need to get a new monitor for my PC, and while I don't think my PC is strong enough to do 3D games, I'm getting a PS3 for GT5 and if I can use 3D BluRays and games with the PS3 on a roughly ~23" monitor I'd like to get one now to have one already when I upgrade my GPU.

I'm not sure how this works though, from what I know any 120Hz monitor will work with the Nvidia 3D, but the PS3 need 240Hz. This could be wrong though, I don't really know.

Basically I'm wondering what is the smallest monitor/ TV-that-will-work-well-with-a-PC that is compatible with both PS3 and Nvidia 3D.

androvsky

dr3upmushroom said:
I need to get a new monitor for my PC, and while I don't think my PC is strong enough to do 3D games, I'm getting a PS3 for GT5 and if I can use 3D BluRays and games with the PS3 on a roughly ~23" monitor I'd like to get one now to have one already when I upgrade my GPU.

I'm not sure how this works though, from what I know any 120Hz monitor will work with the Nvidia 3D, but the PS3 need 240Hz. This could be wrong though, I don't really know.

What the PS3 needs for 3D is a 3D display device that's compliant with the HDMI 1.4 standard. How that display handles 3D isn't important, as long as it can handle the 3D formats presented by the HDMI standard.

That said, I don't know of any.

But as far as I know PS3 is only HDMI 1.3, which means 3D only at 1080i not 1080p.

I believe there are many Samsung and Panasonic displays that support 3D over HDMI 1.3 available right now.

androvsky

Chiaroscuro said:
But as far as I know PS3 is only HDMI 1.3, which means 3D only at 1080i not 1080p.

I believe there are many Samsung and Panasonic displays that support 3D over HDMI 1.3 available right now.

HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 have EXACTLY the same bandwidth for video.

The only difference is HDMI 1.4 defines formats for how the video information should be arranged for 3D; either having the frames beside each other, above and below, interlaced, whatever. While the PS3 does have an HDMI 1.3 transmitter, it's been updated so that it send out 3D frames in the formats defined by HDMI 1.4, effectively making it HDMI 1.4.

And if the Samsung and Panasonic displays are doing 3D over HDMI 1.3, they might not work with the PS3. The PS3 won't output 3D unless it detects a 1.4 compliant display afaik.

Rhindle

As far as I can tell, the answer is no.

Which is pretty amazing, given that there should be significant demand out there for an HDMI-spec 3D monitor - I'd love to buy one.

Rhindle said:

Which is pretty amazing, given that there should be significant demand out there for an HDMI-spec 3D monitor - I'd love to buy one.
Worth waiting do you think? I don't necessarily need to purchase right away, might there be an announcement within the next few months?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Rhindle said:

I would love to find one.

My Pioneer plasma is still too damn good to replace. The TVs support 3D just aren't as good overall, from what I've tested, so I'm sticking with that. However, my PC screen is just a TN panel LCD and I would have no problems replacing it.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Hope they get some glasses free 3D monitors out before TV's. Seems like it would be alot easier to do with it being a smaller panel as well. Being so close to the monitor would make the 3D effect look great right?

Sykra

Metalic Sand said:
Hope they get some glasses free 3D monitors out before TV's. Seems like it would be alot easier to do with it being a smaller panel as well. Being so close to the monitor would make the 3D effect look great right?

Yea, that seems likely, should be great too :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Metalic Sand said:
Oh yeah, that's what I really want to see. Going to be a long wait, though, I suppose.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Rhindle said:

AMD should totally play in on this. Partnering with monitor manufacturers and marketing their videocards to be 3D compatible.

But they never seem to go head to head with Nvidia when it comes to this stuff :/

androvsky

Metalic Sand said:

From what I understand, the glasses-free tech means you lose about half your horizontal resolution and has problems with 2D image quality. Monitors might be the last place we see that tech, sadly, unless someone makes a small dedicated gaming display.

1-D_FTW

I would love to get one that could do both. Been kind of waiting for the next line of them to hit. Kind of tempted by the last wave, but that 27 inch Asus (if it's not vaporware) is looking kind of sexy.

The BIG problem for supporting both as I see it: You need to have a transmitter built into the monitor and compatible glasses for it. This would probably be a significant expense that's going to keep it out for the foreseeable future. Right now Nvidia is selling those things with external products. To have it supported internally by HDMI (which would be needed for a PS3) is a whole nother game.

androvsky said:
From what I understand, the glasses-free tech means you lose about half your horizontal resolution and has problems with 2D image quality. Monitors might be the last place we see that tech, sadly, unless someone makes a small dedicated gaming display.

2D is fine on glasses free screens, but yeah you do lose half the horizontal resolution.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I've been looking for a 3D projector that supports PS3. I haven't found one yet, but Samsung did announce that their current "3D Ready" projectors will receive a converter in december to play 3D Blu-rays and PS3 3D games. One great deal Samsung has is a good quality 720p 3D projector out now for $700, but until the convert comes all you can do is do Nvidia 3D.

I would ideally want a 1080p 3D projector, but 720p are so inexpensive and the picture quality is great. I switched from TV to projector 6 years ago and never looked back. Lived in 6-7 places since and haven't had any problems having a good setup (just using a white wall so far, will invest in a screen one day).

And yeah, if I want to play during the day I shut the shades and it's all fine. I rarely play during daylight though but when I do it's easy to get my living room dark.

Anyone know of any current PS3/3D Bluray compatible Projectors outside the 1080p Sony 10k ones?

twdnewh_k

Sorry for the bump but has there been any development regarding this ?

Hoping to find a a 3d monitor that I can use for both pc and ps3.

Durante

There's the Optoma 3D-XL. It's only guaranteed to work with Optoma projectors, but I believe it simply takes a HDMI 1.4 3D signal and converts it to 720p 120Hz, so it should work with any kind of 3D display that supports such an input. But as I said I'm not certain of it (I'd actually be interested in knowing for certain, since I have a non-Optoma pre-HDMI 1.4 3D projector that I'd like to use with my PS3).

Man

Nvidia should update their glasses to 200hz as well.
The difference is huge between my Nvidia 3D / Samsung monitor and Bravia TV.

gogogow

twdnewh_k said:
Sorry for the bump but has there been any development regarding this ?

Hoping to find a a 3d monitor that I can use for both pc and ps3.

Acer HS244HQ

But it seems it's not compatible with nvidia's 3D Vision? So you might be out of luck if you have a nvidia graphics card, but should work with AMD ATI cards. So this monitor is compatible with the PS3 (and AMD ATI equipped PC's?). I'm not sure on that. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this?

Durante

gogogow said:
Acer HS244HQ

But it seems it's not compatible with nvidia's 3D Vision? So you might be out of luck if you have a nvidia graphics card, but should work with AMD ATI cards. So this monitor is compatible with the PS3 (and AMD ATI equipped PC's?). I'm not sure on that. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this?
If a display device has HDMI 1.4 it's automatically compatible with 3D vision, via 3DTV play:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play.html

StuBurns

Banned
gogogow said:
Acer HS244HQ

This is what I've been waiting for, thank you for posting.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Yeah been waiting for it so I could try it out. Should be interesting. I just wish it was bigger.

Router said:
Yeah been waiting for it so I could try it out. Should be interesting. I just wish it was bigger.
It says it will be part of new series of 3D monitors that will be available in different sizes, so hold out.

twdnewh_k

Seems that monitor wont be able to do 120hz 2D which would have been a great advantage. Is it because there is no dual-link dvi port or simply cause u cant have both together ?

luffeN

but this monitor will have other connectors right? so that I can plug in my ps3 via hdmi 1.4 and my pc via DVI.

One thing I have to say about 3d monitors, having had mine for a while now, is that while it is great indeed (and sometimes even breathtaking), the screen size is all that matters.

22-24" just isn't enough. The bigger the better.

1-D_FTW

painful fart said:
It says it will be part of new series of 3D monitors that will be available in different sizes, so hold out.

Yeah. I posted a thread on the Acer models a while ago. They have a bunch coming. One is a 27 incher. Another is a 3DTV monitor that uses polarized glasses. Seems like they'll be some interesting choices in the next couple months.

banKai said:
but this monitor will have other connectors right? so that I can plug in my ps3 via hdmi 1.4 and my pc via DVI.

No. It seems you'll have to pick. Acer is going to have PC centric monitors that can do DVI-D (1080P@60fps@3D and 1080P@120fps@2D) or 3D via HDMI (limited to 720P@60fps@3D and no 120fps in 2D mode). Guess it's a cost issue (gotta keep those insane margins I guess).

EDIT: It'll have DVI. It just won't have dual DVI that allows the high end 3D you currently get on those 3D monitors. Standard mode only.

StuBurns

Banned
Synless said:
Thanks. I've been waiting for a moderately priced 3d monitor to come out. I'm not willing to replace either of my tv's yet.
No problem. Even if I could afford a new big unit right now, I really want to wait for polarized screens so I don't have to worry about expensive shutter glasses being broken or anything, and I prefer the effect too, even though it's lower resolution, it's more comfortable to me.

But a little 3D monitor for single person use with the growing PS3 3D library is what I was hoping to pick up next year.

luffeN

1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. I posted a thread on the Acer models a while ago. They have a bunch coming. One is a 27 incher. Another is a 3DTV monitor that uses polarized glasses. Seems like they'll be some interesting choices in the next couple months.

No. It seems you'll have to pick. Acer is going to have PC centric monitors that can do DVI-D (1080P@60fps@3D and 1080P@120fps@2D) or 3D via HDMI (limited to 720P@60fps@3D and no 120fps in 2D mode). Guess it's a cost issue (gotta keep those insane margins I guess).

EDIT: It'll have DVI. It just won't have dual DVI that allows the high end 3D you currently get on those 3D monitors. Standard mode only.

ok thx. so just to be clear. I have a radeon 4870 and I don't want to have 3D for the PC, just for the PS3. So do I still have a 120 hz 2D mode via DVI for the PC?

gogogow

1-D_FTW said:
Are you sure it will have an DVI connection? Because at this link it says it will have a "analog" and 2 HDMI connections. It also says you'll get (in the box): a UK/Swiss powercable, VGA cable, HDMI cable and 3D glasses.

Acer HS244HQ – Technische Daten:

* Display Größe – 60 cm (23.6”), 16:9 Full HD, 521×293 mm
* Panel Technologie – TN
* Auflösung – 1920 x 1080
* Pixel Größe - 0.2715 mm
* Horizontal Frequency – (2D) 30-83KHz (3D) 30-140KHz
* Vertical Frequency – (2D) 56-75Hz (3D) 56-120Hz
* Kontrast – 12,000,000:1 (ACM)
* Helligkeit – 300 cd/m2
* Raktionszeit – 2 ms
* Farben – 16.7M (6 bit + HiFRC)
* NTSC Colour situation – 72 %
* Interne Lautsprecher – 2Wx2
* Sichtbarer Bereich CR 5:1 – 176°/176°
* Sichtbarer Bereich CR 10:1 – 170°/160°
* Wandhalterung – 100 mm x 100 mm
* Anschlüsse - Analog mit zwei HDMI (w/ HDCP)
* Gweicht – 5.2 Kg
* Abmessungen – 574.8×422.5×172.3 mm
* Stromverbrauch – On: 34.8W Off:0.69W Stand by:1.69W
* MTBF Hours – 30000hr/25°C
* Zertifikate – CE, TÜV GS, ISO 13406-2
* Garanite 2 Jahre Herstellergaranie.
* Zubehör – Europäisches, UK oder Swiss Power Kabel, VGA Kabel, HDMI Kabel, 3D Brille

So this monitor will probably have a D-Sub connection (and 2 HDMI), unless Acer has changed the specs of the monitor.

banKai said:
ok thx. so just to be clear. I have a radeon 4870 and I don't want to have 3D for the PC, just for the PS3. So do I still have a 120 hz 2D mode via DVI for the PC?

Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Specs:
Vertical Frequency – (2D) 56-75Hz (3D) 56-120Hz

1-D_FTW

http://3dvision-blog.com/acer-hs244hq-is-the-first-3d-monitor-with-hdmi-1-4a-stereo-3d-support/

Big article on that Acer model. Apparently it won't even have a standard DVI port. Just two HDMI slots.

http://3dvision-blog.com/acer-to-soon-have-more-interesting-3d-capable-lcd-monitors/

Here's the earlier article I posted. Acer seems to have at least 4 models coming. The HDMI version. A new version built for Nvision PC. Another 24 inch HDMI that uses polarized glasses. And a 27 inch version (Not sure if it's HDMI/D-DVI/or a model of each).

gogogow said:
Are you sure it will have an DVI connection? Because at this link it says it will have a "analog" and 2 HDMI connections. It also says you'll get (in the box): a UK/Swiss powercable, VGA cable, HDMI cable and 3D glasses.

So this monitor will probably have a D-Sub connection (and 2 HDMI), unless Acer has changed the specs of the monitor.

Yeah. You're right. Saw there have been more recent articles. Guess they decided to completely remove the DVI port to remove any confusion and avoid having people be pissed off that it can't do 1080P 3D @ 60fps or 2D 1080P @ 120fps.

banKai said:

No. That was always the rub. You don't even get 120fps @ 2D with these things. I guess they're completely removing DVI to eliminate all confusion.

gogogow

Peeps, choose the one you want!

gmpwJ.jpg

1-D_FTW

StuBurns said:
The price includes glasses? That's even better than I imagined. This is awesome.

I'd imagine if you wait till January, the polarized version might even be cheaper.

Then again, maybe not. I've heard knowledgeable people say the manufacturing costs of those shudder glasses are only a couple dollars. So they could put a premium on the polarized version... just because. It's not like costs have anything to do with prices.

consoul

So that feature comparison pic has the NVidia 3D Vision ready logo on the HS244 ...even though it's not compatible with it.

1-D_FTW

consoul said:
So that feature comparison pic has the NVidia 3D Vision ready logo on the HS244 ...even though it's not compatible with it.

It's compatible with 3D vision using 3D Play. It's just at the gimped specs of HDMI.

StuBurns

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I'd imagine if you wait till January, the polarized version might even be cheaper.
That would be good, it is my preference. However I'm not sure how that'll work. Some games are designed to support polarized glasses (Avatar for example), but I don't know if it has the same support as shutter glasses.

Konosuke

1-D_FTW said:

Then again, maybe not. I've heard knowledgeable people say the manufacturing costs of those shudder glasses are only a couple dollars. So they could put a premium on the polarized version... just because. It's not like costs have anything to do with prices.
So with the polarized version you can use the disposable glasses they give you in cinemas?

StuBurns

Banned
Konosuke said:
So with the polarized version you can use the disposable glasses they give you in cinemas?
You can't use those exact pairs, but it's the same thing. You have to have the polarization of the lenses match the screen.

Man

StuBurns said:
That would be good, it is my preference. However I'm not sure how that'll work. Some games are designed to support polarized glasses (Avatar for example), but I don't know if it has the same support as shutter glasses.
There is no difference for the game or the console. They are display/3D agnostic.
They just deliver images for both eyes and the display does with it as it pleases. Black & white 10" lcd with a shutter glass helmet or a THX cinema using polarized Real D glasses... makes no difference.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
When you say you lose half your resolution with polarised glasses...will this matter with content that's half resolution anyway?

Is this because they display each eye's image simultaneously on the screen, and so two frames fit on one screen? Why can't they alternate between the two eye images at a very fast rate, and actively change the polarisation at the screen's end in sync?

Top Bottom