• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any TVs that dont spy on you or should I go monitor?

Unknown?

These days anything "Smart" is spyware. TVs know what you watch and constantly send data to home as much as your phone does these days and can listen to you via microphone or even emit ultra sonic beacons to other devices that humans can't hear. Even disabling the WiFi doesn't mean it's necessarily safe if you have public hotspots in your area it can connect to.

So are there any TVs being sold that don't have android or other smart OS BS? Or do I have to just buy monitors from here on out that don't have baked in smart bloat?

Orta

Banned
ShotType1_540x540.jpg

Birdo

Banned
I use a monitor. But they basically top-out at 27 Inches (You can get bigger, but they are very expensive).

If you don't mind a smaller screen, then go Monitor. Plus you don't have all that extra picture processing that some TVs force on you.

Last edited:

Fbh

A quick google search shows there's some non-smart models from TLC, Insignia and Sceptre. Not sure how good any of them are.

Though honestly I think you are being a bit paranoid with the TV still spying on you even if you don't connect it to the internet.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Your tech paranoia is the reason you'll seek to control the tech you own, rather than be controlled by it. GAFers fear this power. Do not listen to their cruel whispers.
You might be able to physically disable a TV's connection capabilities if you dig inside. See if someone else has done it first, just to make sure it's feasible.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't connect it to the internet?

Anyway, you're being way too paranoid. Why are you so scared of getting better recommendations or more relevant ads? Do you think anyone actually CARES what you like and what you don't?

And you can disable all tracking stuff anyway, at least here in the EU that's a legal requirement with very hefty fines attached.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

These days anything "Smart" is spyware. TVs know what you watch and constantly send data to home as much as your phone does these days and can listen to you via microphone or even emit ultra sonic beacons to other devices that humans can't hear. Even disabling the WiFi doesn't mean it's necessarily safe if you have public hotspots in your area it can connect to.

So are there any TVs being sold that don't have android or other smart OS BS? Or do I have to just buy monitors from here on out that don't have baked in smart bloat?
If you want to go this way I guess going Android TV without logging in to Google services + Apple TV is probably as safe privacy-wise as you can get nowadays.

Unknown?

A quick google search shows there's some non-smart models from TLC, Insignia and Sceptre. Not sure how good any of them are.

Though honestly I think you are being a bit paranoid with the TV still spying on you even if you don't connect it to the internet.
For the most part I'm not worried about it connecting with WiFi switched off, just pointing out its capabilities that are possible. I'm not worried about being targeted which is really the only way that would be a problem.

TLC might be good but wow those other brands are pretty crap. I hate all the bloat in modern TVs. I don't need apps or for my TV to do anything other than just display a picture.

For the most part I'm not worried about it connecting with WiFi switched off, just pointing out its capabilities that are possible. I'm not worried about being targeted which is really the only way that would be a problem.

TLC might be good but wow those other brands are pretty crap. I hate all the bloat in modern TVs. I don't need apps or for my TV to do anything other than just display a picture.
As long as your TV is not connected to the internet your fine, if TV needs firmware update do it via USB.

You can disable some of the TV snooping manually.

The best option if you want the TV connected to internet is get a Raspberry Pi and install Pi Hole on it which is a network level blocker, there are blacklists for major TV brands if you google them, this stops the TV transmitting any data to company servers.

Buying a monitor only makes sense if your after a display under 40", anything below that in TV market is poor quality and in monitor market over 40" is way more expensive than average TV.

Last edited:

cHaOs667

If there is a "non-smart" TV alternative depends on the country you live in. In Germany, we have a company called Technisat who sells 49 and 55 inch "Monitors" (https://www.technisat.com/en_XX/MONITORLINE-UHD-55/352-22087-22089/) which are basically non-smart 4k TVs.

I'm still waiting for a newer revision with 65" and HDMI 2.1 to get rid of the smart TVs at home. Not because I think they are spying but they are a constant source of trouble and something like an Apple TV works 10 times better than any build in Smart TV functionality.

Trogdor1123

If you want to go this way I guess going Android TV without logging in to Google services + Apple TV is probably as safe privacy-wise as you can get nowadays.

Android would still monitor everything you do. Google is one of the worst for this.
Android
Wow. Looks like everybody now just accepts big brother keeping an eye on you. Sad times. I too would want a dumb TV. Looks like that is getting very difficult to do. Hope my current TV lasts another 40 years.

I agree. The acceptance of a complete loss of privacy boggles my mind.

Too bad you're using Android! Google already spies on you

My LG TV has what they tell me is AI ThinQ™
To use this AI ThinQ™ , I need to send them all my data.
What AI ThinQ™ likes to do, is give me pop-ups out the wazoo.
AI ThinQ™ never learns anything.

Feels good to know AI ThinQ™ is watching after me.
AWMkw7s.png

Would Google hire you, they know who you really are?:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

I hate to tell you this but if you already own a regular smartphone device you already have been and are continued to be spied on. The government knows where you are, what you brows and what you do. This is not really a truly free country as most try to make it out to be and thats the harsh truth.

As far as TV go, I can't give you an opinion simply because I do not really use them anymore and just game on gaming monitors.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I disconnected my Samsung 'Smart TV' from the internet over a year ago, it became unusable, the ads were intrusive and the apps started to not get updated (after 2 years). It is effectively a monitor for me now, I have an Nvidia Shield hooked up for Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime etc.

I've always said there is a decent sized market out there for people that effectively want a TV sized monitor with a few conveniences (like a remote, 4 HDMI inputs, proper HDMI-CEC support, and half decent speakers to fall back on).

I'm looking into new HDMI 2.1.1 TVs now and it seems to be a question of which one is less shit.

Last edited:

recursive

OP needs to be worried about these 2 spying on them more than just the tv. They both know how many spy devices are currently monitoring all activities.
There's 20 different devices, not including your isp, that monitor you as you write this thread. The TV is the least of your problems.

20 things around you are capturing everything you do. One more isn't going to change anything.

Thanati

I presume you’re typing this on a mobile device (or if not, you own one), that you use some kind of social media and you’re worried your TV is spying on you.

Right. It’s the Tv that’s spying on you.

Do you own a smartphone?
90% of my sex is living room sex. This got me worried.
Nobody wants to watch you jerk off in the living room.

Nobody on the receiving end of these "spying" gadgets gives a shit what you're doing, unless you're a bomb maker or a kiddy fiddler.
Just chill and get the TV you want.
So you are ok with them knowing your exact daily routine? Think about it. The moment you turn that phone on the tracking starts. You turn on the TV on the morning to watch today's show, they know. You use your car to go work, they know, you don't have a car so you used Uber or a subway? They know too because of your cc. They even know where you are going, if you decided to stop for a coffee or for a snack they know the exact time you're doing it. Add months of data, and they practically know you more than you. That's not even counting your use of your phone or tv.

mitch1971

So you are ok with them knowing your exact daily routine? Think about it. The moment you turn that phone on the tracking starts. You turn on the TV on the morning to watch today's show, they know. You use your car to go work, they know, you don't have a car so you used Uber or a subway? They know too because of your cc. They even know where you are going, if you decided to stop for a coffee or for a snack they know the exact time you're doing it. Add months of data, and they practically know you more than you. That's not even counting your use of your phone or tv.
Well it's either that or live in a shack in the mountains.

Last edited:

sn0man

Switch to Apple devices for mainstream anti-advertising pro-piracy. If more serious run Linux. Run a pi hole.

as for TV setup: my LG CX doesn’t have the microphone. The GX does have the microphone remote. Don’t go TLC because certain tv adjustment setting are in the downloadable smartphone app only. Paired the tv with an Appletv for streaming. If necessary to update firmware use a USB stick.

consider a projector: most projectors don’t have smarts built into them today

As for consoles the PS4/5 and Nintendo switch can all fully work offline and never need to be connected to the internet. You can enjoy them the same way you could an Xbox 360 or Super Nintendo.

OP you can push back against privacy. Just because others have given up doesn’t mean you have to.

thanks for coming to my TED Talk

Keihart

Yo OP, how about you don't connect the TV to the internet and you relegate the smart functions to a device that you trust?
I mean, you are already looking for a non smart tv, so what gives.

Last edited:

RPSleon

Generally all this spying is basically to work out how to advertise to you.

Be aware of how you're manipulated in to buying things and what they know will mean alot less. Turn off any "suggested" content. Ignore ads.

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah, I hear the LG's have telescopic cameras built in that can go right up your butthole at night....

Korean technology!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People crapping on OP yet have their data mined and sold. Ok. You can use tech without being bought and sold. I pay for my stuff, like email, which supports not getting my data sold. I’d prefer not to live in a world where companies know everything about me.

OP, you are right to be concerned. I just never connect the TV to the internet except via Ethernet to update the firmware. Then unplug it. It’s tough to find a non smart TV. I also have an LG 38GN950 as a monitor. It’s beast but very expensive.

Top Bottom