• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any TVs that dont spy on you or should I go monitor?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Nobody on the receiving end of these "spying" gadgets gives a shit what you're doing, unless you're a bomb maker or a kiddy fiddler.
Just chill and get the TV you want.
You are being naive. We use your TV viewing data, correlate it with your browsing history (through ID sync or IP address match) and then determine how we can influence you to remain engaged and keep giving us money or vote for whom we want.

source: I build these systems.

Now that would be a dumb TV.

Honestly, I hate any "smart" features beyond Netflix and Prime video, the rest is garbage and serves no purpose.
People crapping on OP yet have their data mined and sold. Ok. You can use tech without being bought and sold. I pay for my stuff, like email, which supports not getting my data sold. I’d prefer not to live in a world where companies know everything about me.
Also for those who think it's all "free", marketing is a pretty big expense on a lot of companies accounting reports, overall it would be cheaper to not pay all these expensive marketing people who not only create banner ads, spend time analyzing your behavior, buy their own software, fly around to convince other people to participate, manage the garbage points programs, etc. I recognize that there is a minimal need for it (you need to have communications about your products / services otherwise they won't sell, even if they are the best there is).

90% of my sex is living room sex. This got me worried.
Place the tv on the floor and have sex on it, make them uncomfortable so they won't spy you anymore.
"Hey, dude just got its pants down"
"Oh no, not again"
"Wait, is that a... oh my god"
"Yes, it's a modified umbrella"
"And what... oh my god, OH MY GOD"
"First time? He did that last tuesday too"
"Ok that's too much, I quit. They don't pay me enough to see stuff like that."

Greirat

Surprised to see so many people think the OP is being paranoid, when the biggest tech companies in the world make their money gathering user data from every possible source. I guess some people just don't realize this yet?

Surprised to see so many people think the OP is being paranoid, when the biggest tech companies in the world make their money gathering user data from every possible source. I guess some people just don't realize this yet?

I think most people here are just taking the piss at OP's expense.

For some reason some people just don't really care. "I have nothing to hide" is a popular line people like to use as they purchase their new bidet with a camera built into the sprayer. "It's so that the company can make sure their product is working properly because they care about me"

Everything tracks you now. Phones are a lost cause of course, but even cars are tracked (along with their speed which I'm surprised hasn't become a big deal yet) and are full of mics. I figure cars hit diminishing returns in terms of safety about ten years ago so I'll just buy old shit and fix it.

Meanwhile I have friends with a hundred google devices in their homes operating their lights, locks and devices, watching and listening to every move or sound they make because it's "more convenient" as if hitting a light switch is difficult.

youtube fashion GIF

reksveks

You are being naive. We use your TV viewing data, correlate it with your browsing history (through ID sync or IP address match) and then determine how we can influence you to remain engaged and keep giving us money or vote for whom we want.

source: I build these systems.

What is your typical uplift numbers when you run a reasonable a/b test? I always struggle with attribution as there is too many uncontrollable factors outside out of digital although if you run a big enough test, it becomes less of an issue.

godhandiscen

What is your typical uplift numbers when you run a reasonable a/b test? I always struggle with attribution as there is too many uncontrollable factors outside out of digital although if you run a big enough test, it becomes less of an issue.

The uplift will vary depending on the segment of traffic we target. We are in the B2B space so we are successful when our clients close deals ranging from hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of dollars with the companies we targeted on their behalf. The decision makers in these deals are usually only a handful of individuals, hence it is a bit pointless to measure traffic uplift. We evaluate tens of billions of opportunities to serve an ad per day, during peak time, millions of these per second; the challenge for us is in finding the right individual among everybody out there in the sea of traffic and winning their attention.

reksveks

The uplift will vary depending on the segment of traffic we target. We are in the B2B space so we are successful when our clients close deals ranging from hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of dollars with the companies we targeted on their behalf. The decision makers in these deals are usually only a handful of individuals, hence it is a bit pointless to measure traffic uplift. We evaluate tens of billions of opportunities to serve an ad per day, during peak time, millions of these per second; the challenge for us is in finding the right individual among everybody out there in the sea of traffic and winning their attention.
Didn't mean traffic uplift but uplift in terms of conversion, brand awareness or any of the down funnel metrics.

Most of adtech is quite interesting but there is a huge amount of overestimating its effectiveness. There is question marks about the usefulness of Cambridge Analytica in converting voters but can see it working on retention.

Boss Mog

I'm not sure OP understands that If your TV isn't directly connected to the internet it can't send any data to anybody. There's no need to have the TV directly connected if you have a console or set-top box to run apps from.

Kupfer

If you're going to invest much money for a new TV, you can buy a 10-20€ used raspberry pi as well. Connect in to your router, install PiHole, block the fuck out of suspicious connections.

godhandiscen

Didn't mean traffic uplift but uplift in terms of conversion, brand awareness or any of the down funnel metrics.

Most of adtech is quite interesting but there is a huge amount of overestimating its effectiveness. There is question marks about the usefulness of Cambridge Analytica in converting voters but can see it working on retention.

Yeah, there is a lot of attribution fraud in the space, and it is up to our clients to measure the effectiveness of our solutions for their use case. There is no number that I can share as the expected uplift performance of our product since our customers can set up strategies tied to their first party data, and succes down the funnel is evaluated depending on these customized goals. However, our rate of customer renewal is incredibly high.

Top Bottom