• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ashamed of being a gamer/nerd in public?

I get what you're saying and agree that some people are way too into their phones but how does that translate to the OP?

Most people don't care if you are a gamer or not. It doesn't have anywhere near the social stigmatism it once had.

However, some people will be dicks/off-put if you dial it up to 11. But that's true for anything.

bryanee

Nope. I don't give a shit.

I'm 32 next month and I always wear something gaming/comic/movie related out in public.

At home I have Transformers in glass display cases, comic book statues on shelves etc I honestly don't care what people think about what I like and what I wear.

stufte

Jesus christ, everything is extremely black and white with you guys, huh? Using your smartphone in public doesn't garner dirty looks. Neither does playing your 3DS. Neither does just wearing a game shirt.

But... when you are being obnoxious with your phone - you know, projecting that your phone is more important than the world around you - texting in your car after the light changes and people behind you honk/flip you off - having a loud-ass conversation in public - walking into people/traffic because you can't be arsed to pay attention - holding it up a concert and blocking the view of the people behind you - yeah, I will give a dirty look. As will a lot of other people.

And how does that second part have anything to do with what the OP did? You called him a man-child for merely wearing a gamer shirt and playing a game while standing in line. Now you're comparing him to someone walking into traffic, or blocking the view of someone at a concert?!?

Keep moving those goalposts though.

the wurm

Neo Member
I could tell they did not like what we were doing, maybe thinking we are "losers".

This is my least favorite mindset as it limits so many people from experiencing different things. It's similar to why so many people don't go to a gym and get in shape. People are always thinking that everyone else is judging them at all times but in reality nobody gives a shit about you or what you're doing.

Just have a little confidence and live your life! :)

Ishan

I think I'm pretty relaxed talking gaming and my interest in public with others but yeah depends on the group some are some aren't so I interact differently . I don't really wear gaming stuff . But then again I don't wear any stuff with pictures etc (gaming film organization slogans etc etc) I tend to dress in plain shirts an tshirts so guess that doesn't come up .

Mihos

Gold Member
In your 20s you say you don't care what people think about you.... in your 40s, you mean it.

There are maybe 3 people whose opinion matter to me and none of them are you.

soloscout

Neo Member
There are two types of people in this world: folks that game and talk about it openly and folks that game and don't admit it.

But everybody is a gamer to some degree.

I'm not ashamed, but I'm not broadcasting it either.

My non-gaming friends know that I play games, but I keep my more niche interests like JRPGs or anime on the DL. Not cause I'm ashamed, they just wouldn't care. If I wanted to play a gmae in public that wouldn't disturb someone, though, I would for sure.

I don't really advertise it since I don't really feel the need to, it's just another hobby of mine. If someone asks sure i'll mention it but I might also mention movies/shows/music i'm into. I think video games are pretty accepted in today's culture.

After gamergate who wouldn't be ashamed of being a gamer.

Most people, I assume. What does the fact that I enjoy playing Mario Kart or Halo have to do with some loonies who went on a sexist internet rampage?

Yeah, people judge gamers for their hobby.

That would push me to avoid wearing gaming clothing in public, but then I would miss the chance for other gamers to see my shirt and hobnob with them. This I value more.

faridmon

I don't bring it up, but if the train of discussion comes anywhere close, I say that
I play League of Legends way too much.

And how does that second part have anything to do with what the OP did? You called him a man-child for merely wearing a gamer shirt and playing a game while standing in line. Now you're comparing him to someone walking into traffic, or blocking the view of someone at a concert?!?

I'm just going to agree to disagree. You don't seem to understand what I'm saying at all. And every time I try to explain it to you, I just end up using examples that you over-analyze and twist back on me instead of seeing the underlying point I'm, woefully, trying to make.

Cheers.

Voke

Banned
No one other than my family and close friends know about my love for playing video games. You will almost never see me even speak about it public or to most people in general. It's not that I'm ashamed, I just never really wanted to incorporate it into my social life. That's actually part of the reason why I read GAF, because I can keep my love for video games and the industry as a whole to myself.

styl3s

Why would i be ashamed about something i love? Are people who stand in line all night for a phone, concert tickets or shoes ashamed? If someone has nothing else to do in life but to judge people based on their hobbies then by all means do it because it doesn't effect me. That being said i don't walk around with gamer shirts on not that i am ashamed but because i am a very basic person when it comes to clothing i own like 3 pairs of pants and like 7 shirts and all 7 shirts are solid polo's. I don't care enough about clothing to spend money on gaming shirts if i did i would probably own some.

Besides, i grew up openly gay in a bible belt town the last thing i give a shit about is the opinion of someone i don't know.

StoneFox

Most of the people in my office are gamers so I have no problems being a nerd in front of them.

I don't really care what people in public think of me either.

Voke

Banned
No one other than my family and close friends know about my love for playing video games. You will almost never see me even speak about it public or to most people in general. It's not that I'm ashamed, I just never really wanted to incorporate it into my social life. That's actually part of the reason why I read GAF, because I can keep my love for video games and the industry as a whole to myself, without anyone every really knowing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think the daddy gamer idea is big because you can blame it on your kid if you have your boss, spouse, trendy friend, or doctor confront you about it.

That seems weird right now. I'm going to be 30 in the fall. I love gaming and to be honest over the years I went from not talking about it to talking about it. I can be reserve and not bring it up when I see someone with a nerdy or gamer t-shirt on.

Why do we have to out ourselves every single time? Why can't I be a Metal Gear or Final Fantasy fan because I'm going to be 30?

I guess it all has to do with status. You see a guy with an attractive female or a trendy person and you think they both believe gaming was for kids. I guess it's not all the time, but still.

I think some guys throw gaming into this "I grew up, so that doesn't appeal to me or why should I care?" type of mentality.

When it's all said and done, everyone can enjoy gaming or their hobby in the comfort of their own home or even at a store.

Are you ashamed of buying a video game and having the game sit there while a bunch of people pass you by? I use to buy more games at the store, but I kinda have it good buying from home.

You think people have better things to do than sit there making fun of a gamer.

I think some people feel that way. Will the parent stare at you or will the kid eye you down while you walk out of the store with a video game? I find that weird and that's not my problem.

I wore a Call of Duty Advanced Warfare t-shirt when I was walking or jogging in my neighborhood and I passed a few people. I think there's still people who find gaming to be for kids and their adult mindset is to pressure gamers to think they're still kids or somethings wrong with them.

I have a family member who likes comics, but once his kids were born he put it all away. He blames video games for everything yet he watches all the super hero movies. I even had them ask me if they thought it was for 20 year olds and they brought up things that happened years ago, but they don't ask me a single question about video games. They get all their ideas from people around them or their own stereotype and yes it's weird. It's weird when I have a lot of the answers right where I live.

They believe the theories about kids and 20 somethings playing CoD and Halo, but they don't see the dozen plus game(s), articles, books, or anything else. They give me their own stereotype and it's weird. I don't need to think about gaming in the 3rd person. I've always been a fan since I was in Kindergarten and yes thinking like it's this inferior hobby for someone else's thoughts sucks to be honest.

I have a MGS DD sweater and I'm not sure when I'll get to wear it. I am heading back to college tonight to finish up and I'm not wearing a gamer shirt. If gaming is brought up there or at a job then I'll answer specific questions if it's the right time. I think since it's video games people assume that they can always say the stereotype or they can always think it's for kids.

Who wants to meet someone all the time who thinks video games are for young people? No one does.

I'm smart enough to not talk about it and then I'm smart enough to have a good in depth conversation about video games when the time is right. I dislike some of the used car salesmen or hard headed thinking sometimes because I like to know more about video games besides the basics.

I also think video game stores like Target and the like have horrible displays. They typically have these younger people working there and the mood can sometimes suck.

The parents with their kids are there for their kids and then you have adult males who think their children are terminators and why would an adult male be interested. That's weird to me, but of course the parent or mature adult doesn't think about E3, IGN, or NeoGAF when they make that call.

I have had people give me the whole "theater shooting" debate when I took them to the E3 showing, showed them articles on developers, and even showed them a few games. They believe me, but then they meet this awful new zeitgeist and it sinks back to the stereotype.

I think some guys in the IT field are a bit more jaded. Just because they're in IT they think they can somehow call "gamers" out.

Again, I think retail stores can suck. A lot of people I worked with at GameStop might have stopped gaming. GameStop and the like get these hot shots who are hardcore now, but when the winds start to turn they'll be at another job and they'll tell you to grow up. I have kept my love for gaming to myself even though I've come across some weird moments in my life where it was like dealing with Stephen King's "Carrie" incarnate about the subject.

This is a long post, but seriously.. some people might have you believe you're this over aged person who shouldn't be playing video games or they treat you like this freak who runs up to people saying, "oh dude video games are how I live and I drive my car like it's a video game". Sometimes people will dissect gaming like we're all somehow using it during our daily lives to do things, which is why I don't need to be called out as the "gamer" to whoever wants to acknowledge me.

Coda

$_12.JPG

I'm pretty stoked to be getting this shirt in the mail soon. :)

Tigress

Jesus christ, everything is extremely black and white with you guys, huh? Using your smartphone in public doesn't garner dirty looks. Neither does playing your 3DS. Neither does just wearing a game shirt.

But... when you are being obnoxious with your phone - you know, projecting that your phone is more important than the world around you - texting in your car after the light changes and people behind you honk/flip you off - having a loud-ass conversation in public - walking into people/traffic because you can't be arsed to pay attention - holding it up a concert and blocking the view of the people behind you - yeah, I will give a dirty look. As will a lot of other people.

Wait.. so him standing in line, playing a game and minding his own business is the same as some one not paying attention to their driving and possibly killing some one cause they weren't paying attention? Or to a lesser extent bothering other people cause what he's doing is blocking their view with what he's doing?

I mean, he's standing in a line minding his own business and doing something to take the time at a time that he does not need to be super aware of anything else (store's not open so the line ain't going anywhere... why should he not do something while nothing is going on) ... I don't see how in the world he's being so horrible to anyone else. All your examples are people who are doing something that badly affects some one else.

Get some perspective here.

I'm just going to agree to disagree. You don't seem to understand what I'm saying at all. And every time I try to explain it to you, I just end up using examples that you over-analyze and twist back on me instead of seeing the underlying point I'm, woefully, trying to make.

Cheers.

That's cause your examples were bad and showed your lack of perspective there. OR maybe moving the goal posts as the other poster suggested. I suspect it is the latter or you could have come up with better examples (but of course you realized those examples still painted you in the same light you seem to be trying to backrack from).

Try not to worry what other people think.

I work in a very alpha male-centric industry and pretty much get made fun of for showing even a mild interest in anything that doesn't involve money. It's weird too because while I was never super popular in high school or anything, I've always gotten along with pretty much everyone I've ever been around even if we were different from each other. What can you do? Just try to surround yourself with as many people as possible that don't have a weird stick up their ass about what you do with your own time.

I don't like coming off as a nerd in public not because of the people who aren't but for the guys who are.

Basically they always want to be friends or something, I have enough friends, and no, I do not want to play online with you on your MMO of choice.

Why do you care what other people do so much? Your judgement is unnecessary and only highlights that the problem is with you. Does it make you feel better about yourself to judge people in such a way?

Opening asked a question. This is a possible answer.If he wants legitimate opinions this is one to consider.

That doesmt mean I agree with the guy but it is a complete waste of all the thread does is offer one perspective. Dude isnt necessarily insecure just because he views it another way

lyrick

No, but I don't refer to myself as a gamer in public. It lacks a positive connotation and I don't describe myself by my hobbies. I also Rock Climb, Kayak, and occasionally binge drink.

What benefit would I get by referring to myself as a climber, kayaker, or alcoholic? I firmly believe that ones hobbies are just how they choose to spend their free time, not how they choose to define themselves.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don't like coming off as a nerd in public not because of the people who aren't but for the guys who are.

Basically they always want to be friends or something.

Gamers don't need to be treated like they're any different from anybody else. We don't like to bring it up like we're this machine. If we talk about it a lot then that's more personal and maybe it means we enjoy something.

I don't need to be on a switch because someone knows I'm playing the latest Triple A game . I can buy that game and be pretty satisfied without an onlooker or someone observing me all the time.

I can buy MGS without thinking someone else sees me as this eccentric buyer who has the mindset like their child either. We aren't the same and we enjoy it for our own reasons.

I think what he's trying to say is that the culmination of the shirt, showing up early to a store waiting to pre-order what people who are not into amiibos classify as lame "toys", and playing a handheld while waiting in said line turns it up to 11 and therefore makes you a man child and means people will and should look at you. But then the argument could be made into whether this also applies to people who show up to midnight launches or not.

It's still stupid and makes no sense but I think that's where he was going.

Azuran

Banned
Not really. I stopped caring about what others think about my hobbies a long time ago. If someone makes fun of me because I like what I do, then it's the perfect indicator that we'll never get along.

However, I don't go full nerd on others until someone becomes my friend.

NeonBlack

No. People wear jerseys from their favorite teams, stand in line for the new iPhone, and make fantasy football teams. If it makes you happy wear it with pride.

Showing off your rare MTG cards in public may result in embarrassment and/or violent robbery

Producer

No one ever suspects me of being a nerd or gamer. I dont wear gaming related clothes, i dont play video games outside, i dont talk about video games unless someone else brings it up.

Tigress

I think what he's trying to say is that the culmination of the shirt, showing up early to a store waiting to pre-order what people who are not into amiibos classify as lame "toys", and playing a handheld while waiting in said line turns it up to 11 and therefore makes you a man child and means people will and should look at you. But then the argument could be made into whether this also applies to people who show up to midnight launches or not.

It's still stupid and makes no sense but I think that's where he was going.

We know that's where he is going. You summed it up quite well. Problem is that is exactly why we are saying we dislike the attitude. He's trying to now make it that he was saying something else.

Basically they always want to be friends or something, I have enough friends, and no, I do not want to play online with you on your MMO of choice.

Ha I understand that angle. I'm in a FB group that seems to have mostly nice people in it. They have meet ups and stuff and that's great. Have at it for all I care, but it's like I have my own friends and you probably should too. My opinion.

Once I posted somewhere about going to TooManyGames in Philadelphia and someone on that board PMed me asking if I wanted to split a hotel room, possibly in a group with other posters. I don't know you. Just because we both like video games doesn't mean I'm sharing anything with someone sight unseen.

This is a topic that is very personal for me but Ill share my opinion.
I am in high school right now and as expected there are many dudebros at my school. I am a Nintendo guy who just loves all games but I get bullied for liking Nintendo. They treat me like crape and tease and push me around everyday due to my different tastes. They all act like; " I play Cod and Madden and oh you play is shifty games like Mario!" I tried to ask help from various adults including my parents and teachers but it doesn't help.
So in conclusion I am ashamed sadly.

Highshcool is the pits and teachers for the most part don't give a shit.

But don't be ashamed of what you enjoy it's your life and you deserve to enjoy it how you see fit. What grade are you in? I know this won't make things better but once you're out of there you won't have to deal with that to such an extreme degree.

I believe most people past the age of 30 don't really give a @$&! what other people think about their personal lives. That being siad, no, I don't give a @$&! what other people think about my personal life..

Yazuka

No, not at all. I don't care what others think of me, they can think I'm a looser or whatever. I have something I love, something that has been the only constant thing in my life. If people have problems with what I like, that is their problem not mine.
Sure I don't have as many "gaming/nerdy" clothes as I want, but I use the ones I have.
And it's a shame for those who can not stand the glare of others. You shouldn't have to be ashamed to like games.

aye, then again im a very "hardcore" closet-geek if i say so myself so yeah is not something i go about openly. i plan to take my nephew when the dragon ball movie comes here
97BdOe4.gif

Tigress

After gamergate who wouldn't be ashamed of being a gamer.

Me. Because I know I'm not one of them. And honestly, if you don't want people to associate gaming immediately with that, best way to stop it is to make an example yourself (let it be seen you are a gamer and you are not like that).

You can't in the end stop how other people behave and how they represent something you like. You can at least though make an example of yourself.

Top Bottom