• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you bored of American setting in Gta games?

cHaOs667

For me, GTA has become with GTA III a satirical portrait of the USA. It works perfectly, as the US is THE hotspot for pop-cultural things that are known to people worldwide – even if they never visited the US but only watched Hollywood movies.
And I, as a German, have always a hilarious time finding all the wrongly written German product / company names in GTA – especially in GTA V.

I nearly wetted myself when I saw "Dusche Gold" and "Pisswasser" advertisements…

kondorBonk

As much as I would love for it to hit other countries, I get the argument for wanting it to always be an American satire.

CA, FL, NY have been in rotation for too long though. If it was going to be another US city, I would want Boston.

- The over-exaggerated stereotypes are enjoyed by all.
- You could have all kinds of seedy deals going on with Boston Sports and create overblown figures like Brady.
- The streets aren't "grids" which make for interesting city to explore.
- Tons of spoofed historical sites you could play with.
- Maybe and Irish Mob which I feel is under utilized in GTA.
-Massive college culture to spoof on.
- Fucking MIT and Boston Dynamics could just be having robot dog wars/dance offs.
- Ben Afleck and Matt Damon could have a secret love nest.
- Polar Beverages could be scheming against coke.
- You have beaches/snowy mountains/citys all near by for a nice diverse biomes,

Boston. Best city.

Last edited:

sleipnir

Neo Member
I would like to see them go somewhere else, other than the USA, which feels played-out to me. I have little to no interest in the US anyway, so any game set there in the current timeline is pretty much a no buy for me. Maybe a retro 60's theme could be cool, with some amazing cars from the period, but that could also apply to other countries and the fashion and style of the time.

lachesis

While I would love to see it about some warlords about Somalia (pirates too!) - or some gang members in mainland China, or even some Afghan corrupt taliban dude yearning for freedom and weed - I don't think it would fly well. Only western countries and highly developed countries with explicit freedom of expression can self-satire or accept that sort of satire from foreign devs.

USA is the lowest hanging fruit, because people have been desensitized of USA blaming and its government and it's society, thru many entertainment portrayals - say, when was the last time have you seen a movie or TV series, that US government is "not" corrupt? Sure, there are several patriotic movies and series, but usually they about the "good" people and heroes within, not the government or the system.

Either way, satire only works and allowed in "punching up" stance. GTA could be made by some Chinese devs as long as it's content is making fun of US and capitalism in good humor.... but if we made GTA China with bunch of Pooh bear running around - it will be a financial suicide.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
As much as I would love for it to hit other countries, I get the argument for wanting it to always be an American satire.

CA, FL, NY have been in rotation for too long though. If it was going to be another US city, I would want Boston.

- The over-exaggerated stereotypes are enjoyed by all.
- You could have all kinds of seedy deals going on with Boston Sports and create overblown figures like Brady.
- The streets aren't "grids" which make for interesting city to explore.
- Tons of spoofed historical sites you could play with.
- Maybe and Irish Mob which I feel is under utilized in GTA.
-Massive college culture to spoof on.
- Fucking MIT and Boston Dynamics could just be having robot dog wars/dance offs.
- Ben Afleck and Matt Damon could have a secret love nest.
- Polar Beverages could be scheming against coke.
- You have beaches/snowy mountains/citys all near by for a nice diverse biomes,

Boston. Best city.
Boston is too small of a city.

Braag

I think GTA works best with the American setting. They could make a different ip which is kinda similar but takes place in Europe or something.
I mean Watch Dogs 3 kinda tried that but that game's gameplay loop and "play as NPCs" system sucked ass.

I don’t think it would work very well outside of American culture, might work in Canada, Toronto could be a pretty decent setting.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Let's imagine a brazilian city. It will have a downtown area, like GTA V has, it will have a rich area, like GTA V has, a poor area, like GTA V has, and it will have a beach area, like GTA V has...

I know that things can change. Cultural stuff and shit... but "american setting" it's just a default for any big city in the world, what really matters is how many changes the gameplay has

I'm fine if they do some twist for another Vice City, or coming back to London. Hell, they could do a Texas inspired city and put horses on it. The best GTA is Red Dead Redemption, and things could get a whole new level if the direction chooses this. Still, the set is not the biggest deal for now. Gameplay is

Top Bottom