• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 7 which setting?

Woggleman

If it must be Libert City it should be the late 70s when NYC was at its most dangerous but also at it's coolest.

They should even throw some countryside and small towns with a version of Atlantic City at the other end but keep it a surprise.

GymWolf

They should go to sicily but maybe it would be to similar to mafia (even if italo american mobs are completely different)

Last edited:

Hudo

If I had my wish then anywhere but in the US. Preferably in Hong Kong, make a spiritual successor to Sleeping Dogs. Dunno if Rockstar can make melee combat as awesome and good-feeling as Sleeping Dogs had, tho.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
A completely new city would be great and is long overdue. Going back to the same 3 settings over and over is fucking lame, especially if it’s going to remain contemporary.

If relegated to the USA, which is far more likely, then I’d love to see GTA’s analog for Chicago. It would be a fitting setting for GTA and a nice change in atmosphere to the coastal settings of V & VI.
We’d get to have a map with more verticality and density, while also featuring a new location rather than just revisiting Liberty City yet again.

If international, then South Africa, Brazil, the UK, Thailand, or perhaps a region inspired by a Slavic country.

If a period setting, then the 1970s would be a rather interesting period to explore for GTA.

Xtib81

Don't know where but a different era for sure, be it the past or future. I've always found a bit boring to play a game set in our era.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
It's gonna be Liberty City, and that's alright with me. It wouldn't be GTA if it was set anywhere else outside of LC, VC, and SA. Yes, I know there was GTA London '69, but that doesn't count. GTA is America:

I'm hoping for one enormous map that connects LC, VC, and SA into one GTA world.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
GTA 7 eh ? Hmmm..........whatever they choose, i would like it to follow GTA SA's structure of 3 distinct cities with wilderness, grasslands, forests & mountains in between. It will probably be a 400 GB game, and will require a nuclear powerplant to play.

So, going by what the GTA development cycle has become, it will be 2030 when i will next upgrade my PC, by then GTA 6 would likely have come out on PC and a good modding scene would have developed for me to give it a second playthrough. Which means if i want to play a monster GTA 7 game properly on PC, it will be some time around 2037 or 2038. I will be 50 years old, hopefully retired, i'll spend a chunk of my savings on a top of the line quantum PC, plug it into my neck port and play GTA 7 in truVR.

Here We Go Glasses GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Muffdraul

Years ago one of the big wigs at R* explained why GTA was always in big American cities (London exception proves the rule) and that they would always put GTA in big American cities. But whoever said that could have been one of the guys who's gone now so who knows?

JaksGhost

A completely new city would be great and is long overdue. Going back to the same 3 settings over and over is fucking lame, especially if it’s going to remain contemporary.

If relegated to the USA, which is far more likely, then I’d love to see GTA’s analog for Chicago. It would be a fitting setting for GTA and a nice change in atmosphere to the coastal settings of V & VI.
We’d get to have a map with more verticality and density, while also featuring a new location rather than just revisiting Liberty City yet again.

If international, then South Africa, Brazil, the UK, Thailand, or perhaps a region inspired by a Slavic country.

If a period setting, then the 1970s would be a rather interesting period to explore for GTA.
Chicago would be amazing with how much is available in the surrounding areas. Imagine jet skiing across Lake Michigan to the Indiana Sand Dunes or going south and hitting Amish country. They could even include Milwaukee since it's a straight drive up 94.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
It's going to be the USA. It's always going to be the USA.

The absolutely retarded state of that country no matter what year is like the dna on which these games are built.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

What is it with people that want smaller games?
Maybe because smaller games don't take 10 years to make and are usually more concise,less bloated experiences....you know,just a guess...

What is it with people that want huge games,are they that poor that they can only afford 1 game per year and need it to be 1000 hours long?
Bored Come On GIF

There's also this thing called replaying games...it was quite popular back in the day before the adhd youtuber crowd started gaming and needed their daily fix of audience engagement.

We still don’t know the size of the GTA6 map and you already start guessing GTA 7s setting?

Additionally Michael Pachter seems convinced there are more cities in GTA 6, which we didn’t see yet.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Getting a little ahead of myself here, but...

What'd be cool going forward after this game releases and between the likely-giant timespan between this and GTAVII... would be a couple of smaller, more dense story-driven titles built on the newer engine and revisiting Niko Bellic in Liberty City, for eg. "Grand Theft Auto Revisited: Bellic's Liberty" & revisiting CJ in the original San Andreas, for eg. "Grand Theft Auto Revisited: City Of Saints".

The maps could be totally rebuilt in the new engine and brought up to par; and the time period in each could maybe be ~10yrs or so after the original games -- not so much an epic tale, but more of a steady "drop-in, experience the characters, how they've evolved, experience the worlds again, then drop out" kinda thing.

This would satisfy fans of single player, story-driven content while the new GTA Online is well underway satisfying the multiplayer folks. These could be sold as large DLC expansions or standalone games at a somewhat reduced price (not too much of course, this is an R* game..).

Of course, to further incentivise R*/T2 and make it more of a viable, attractive investment to rebuild these maps/worlds/assets; they could then be updated to current times; and ported into the new GTA: Online as flight/travel destinations. Resulting in an expanded new GTAO that includes Leonida, Liberty City & San Andreas all seamlessly integrated (perhaps San Andreas could be expanded for the GTAO version with a hybrid of the San Andreas/GTAV versions of Los Santos somehow integrated and wrangled together).

EDIT: Additional possibilities: the new Vice City area of Leonida in GTAVI could be redressed for the late 80s/early 90s and we could revisit Tommy Vercetti in "Grand Theft Auto Revisited: Magic City" & the aforementioned recreation of Liberty City could be redressed for Claude to be revisited some time after GTAIII in "Grand Theft Auto Revisited: Ghosts Of Liberty City".

That's four focused single player, story-driven titles that would draw $40-50 a pop for R*/T2 while using some existing assets as a base or helping create lots of assets for Online. Drop one every two years on PS6 alongside a port of GTAVI & GTAO early on = $$$ + Happy Customers

Then GTAVII -- probably arriving on PS7 -- could be more of a major break from the norm and something fresh.

Something like:

GTAVI - Feb '25 (PS5/XS)
GTAO2 - May '25 (PS5/XS)

GTAVI + GTAO2 - Mar '26 (PC)

GTAVI + GTAO2 - Q4 '28 (PS6/X5)

GTAR: Magic City - Q2' 29 (PS6/X5/PC)

GTAR: City Of Saints - Q2' 31 (PS6/X5/PC)
+ San Andreas added to GTAO2

GTAR: Ghosts Of Liberty City - Q2' 33 (PS6/X5/PC)
+ Liberty City added to GTAO2

GTAR: Bellic's Liberty - Q2' 35 (PS6/X5/PC)

GTAVI + GTAR Collection + GTAO2 - Q2 '36 (PS7/X..?)

GTAVII - Q1 '39 (PS7/X..?)

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom