• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you bored of American setting in Gta games?

Belthazar

GTA's value nowadays lies mostly in how accurate of a satire of American culture it is... The developers wouldn't have the depth and knowledge necessary to do it for another culture.

Rush2112

Banned
make it sounds like they make them every year. Last GTA came out a decade ago. Also, why would an American be interested in GTA in paris or some shitty euro city? Fuck that.

oji-san

Banned
I like the US setting but modren Japan for example would also be amazing, we kinda have Yakuza for that but not really, that can do many cool things like imagine GTA game set in Naples, like in Gomorra TV show, that could be awesome.

oji-san

Banned
make it sounds like they make them every year. Last GTA came out a decade ago. Also, why would an American be interested in GTA in paris or some shitty euro city? Fuck that.
Not that i don't like US setting, and Far Cry 5 is my most favourite FC because of the setting, but not only americans play GTA?

gundalf

I remember there was an old interview with a Rock* dev where they clarified that GTA was USA only and a hypothetical GTA game based somewhere else would be named differently.

I personally would love a GTA style game set in Europe that spans across east and west with unapologetically yet proper satirical representation of each country it plays in. But there is no dev/pub in the market who could pull off something like that.

Krathoon

The expansion to GTA 1 was set in London 1969. I never played it.

Edit: There was also a freeware mission pack 2 that was set in 1961.

Varteras

Gold Member
It COULD work, but you're running a big risk by moving away from a satirical American setting. Considering how long we go anymore between GTA releases, I think there are a lot of people who would find Miami a fresh setting. Vice City was over 20 years ago. Even GTA4 was 15 years ago at this point. Which is the last time we saw Rockstar's take on NYC. Those are very long times to have not been in those settings and the devs are much less limited today in what they can build. Yes, we need a break from Los Angeles. Maybe even NYC, seeing as how it's even been a setting for other big, open world games like Spider-Man recently. But heading back to Vice City? I think a lot of people will find that refreshing.

Gojiira

Considering Rockstar is probably the most iconic British studio it does irk me a little they haven’t revisited the UK as a setting but unless they went full Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels with it, or hell even Get Carter, Snatch, This is England, Scum etc etc I dont think it would be all that interesting. A GRITTY, serious GTA that borders on Simlike would be great in the UK but thats about it.
Id rather they satirise Tokyo, or Shanghai, since both the Yakuza and Triads have quite a large scope for a game. Im happy for them to stay in the US but I’d love the gameplay to be more immersive, I’d even take procedurally generated homes if it meant I could be a burglar. More mechanics revolving around planning and your own gang or enterprise. The heists in GTAV were so fun for a good while with a group so iterating on them and giving them actual consequences and impact would be amazing.

kingyala

Banned
im bored for alot of american settings in every media i consume... i find it as lack of artistic creativity...evry alien comes to new york.... somehow. every soldier is some us marine or navy seals... the villains are always russians or some brown colored or asian people with kalashnikovs.. u have no idea how tired i am in consuming this stuff its one way propaganda and no art at all. I wish there was more diverse creativity and stories.

That said i cant blame them as they are american.. id have to blame the rest of the world not telling other stories.. as much as i want for change, i cant force rockstar to make gta on a different setting!... as this will lead to the same problem we have this days whereby devs are forced to make wokeness a priority than art because certain groups of people werent represented enough and therefore they use force and dictatorship in order to be represented. Its business if u see a problem fix it and youll earn your money.. well thats how it used to be though..

Three

I get it. America is easy to make fun of with the stupid culture and the damn guns everywhere.

But I would love Rockstar to do a GTA game set in Scotland or even the UK. Rockstar North is a Scottish studio so it would be cool to do one here for a change. The way the UK is going we deserve someone to take the absolute piss out us.

We know GTA VI is set in the USA again but I ain't mad and I definitely ain't wasting my time worrying about GTA VII lmao that shit is at least 12 years away.
GTA London wasn't as popular

Teletraan1

Banned
The people setting this in the UK haven't thought any of the actual game through. So no guns let alone silly stereotypes about gun stores on every corner, gonna have to throw acid and kill people with knives and cutlery. Narrow roads sound like a fun time in a game you spend most of the time in cars. Getting 5stars would do what exactly? The police force is not some over the top militarized police forces like in the US. Bigger clubs, a stronger ask for you to comply? When you buy a property do you have to pay for a TV licence? Do you get arrested for social media posts?

lefty1117

Gold Member
Outside of maybe London I don't see where it could be set without the locals being super offended and pissed off at the satire about their culture. Americans don't give a shit about it and Brits are in their post-empire self deprecation phase so they would think it's apropos. If they went a little more serious like GTA4 then maybe Prague or something like that might be interesting.

consoul

It's not just that the USA is especially ripe for satire. Everyone knows American culture. Everyone in every country has been bombarded with it their whole lives. If you parody another country, many people just won't get it because they're not familiar enough with that country's culture. Doing any other country would limit the appeal of the game too much.

You want to mix it up, do Grand Theft Oahu. Still US culture, but with a tropical twist.

Davevil

The landscapes of American megacities are the perfect accompaniment to GTA, perhaps only Japanese cities could replace them
But theoretically speaking I would pay gold to see GTA set in my country (Italy) but above all in my city (Turin)

MMaRsu

Banned
The Housers are gone. GTA games with the quality we've come to expect are likely a thing of the past.
Only one Houser bro is gone. But Leslie Benzies, and Lazlow Jones are gone as well. They had a huge impact on the development of GTA

Tams

I agree.

Sleeping Dogs exists though and is fantastic.

I don't see the Japanese taking a GTA too well. Yakuza is over thing, but GTA is another, especially when it wouldn't be a Japanese dev.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think there was a rumor about reviving the gateway series? That one was in london.

They should do something in sicily where the og mafia was really born.

fermcr

I'm bored of any USA setting in any type of game. Enough is enough.
I find it absurd European and Asian developers using USA settings for their games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I am not bored of the American setting but I am bored of them re-telling the same "dark side of the American Dream" storyline over and over again. Rockstar, I get it, America bad - say something new.
I get this but the game series is about the criminal underworld - how up-beat can you make it? The people attracted to and capable of living that lifestyle aren’t exactly happy go lucky, honest, swell guys.

phant0m

GTA London needs a come back. Their culture is equally ripe for lambasting and frankly I'd be chuffed to bits

Top Bottom