• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with exclusives this gen? (not including the Switch)

Are you happy with exclusives this gen? (not including the Switch)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kacho

Hell no. Third parties have been carrying Xbox and PlayStation, but that’s the case every generation.

nordique

Looking solely at platform exclusives:

Not including Switch, for me the answer of "Am I happy" - YES
BUT

There aren't enough "exclusives"

On Playstaiton side:
PS5 has had some excellent "only on PS5" games in Ratchet, FF16, SpiderMan 2, and I am happy with them, and we have FF7 rebirth around the corner.
Everything else, is it an exclusive if you could have played on PS4? not really for me, but GOW Ragnarok was special for myself and I am happy I played it on PS5. You could argue people didn't play Ghost of Tsushima or GT7 or Horizon 2 on PS4, sure, but these games weren't technically PS5 exclusives.

Still, compared with PS4 it just hasn't "hit" the same, nor the same frequency of major titles. PS4 just felt like hit after hit, year after year. PS5 has games! I enjoy it, but it doesn't feel the same.

On Xbox side:
even more dire than even XBone.... Just Halo Infinite for myself. Starfield didn't really grip me (although I haven't given it a truly fair shake). Forza and Flight simulator are cool but not really games I invest in or would have made me buy the Xbox in the first place.

Again, if it's on PS4 or XBONE, It aint exclusive to the next gen platform (no matter how great Psychonauts 2 may be)

Overall the experience has been great for the PS5 for myself though, because I have had lots to play....I enjoy the non-MW3 COD campaigns, I enjoy the enhanced PS4 games/cross gen Platform exclusives (Like GOW Ragnarok), I enjoy the quality non-exclusive third party games like RE4 remake, Diablo 4

I have enjoyed the Xbox Series for Gamepass and the quality older title experience, so I have been playing that platform as well at times. Now that they have Activision blizzard, depending on how MS handles it with Gamepass Day 1 releases, I may shift my attention more towards it for specific titles (CoD)

Just compared to any prior gen or the Switch, in terms of exclusives, it has not had the same frequency of exclusive games that appeal to me personally. If you are a multiplatofrm owner, there is more than enough to play especially if you have a busy life

Last edited:
Sony started off strong but output has somewhat slowed. Their obsession with gaas has been an abject failure. One would hope they have learned their lesson. They get a pass for now due to the consistent quality of their best development studios… special mention to Insomniac for the insane output - they literally put everyone else to shame with 3 games and 1 remaster released since PS5 launch.

Xbox has been a joke, especially when considering the numerous studio acquisitions. It’s almost comical how ill prepared Microsoft were for the new console generation. Particularly when you take into account the limited and underwhelming releases they’ve produced, which barely meet the quality standards expected from a first-party publisher. What’s most damning is the lengthy development cycles required to produce games such as Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsports. There’s just no-way those games should have taken so long to create considering how mediocre they have ended up.

Nintendo has been good. The release cadence being slower than people would like. At least they have been somewhat consistent. It’s likely they are preparing something big for launch of the expected Switch 2 (now rumoured to have slipped to 2025). I don’t have much else to say other than the poor graphical quality and woeful performance of some titles on their platform I.e. Mortal Kombat 1 and Arkham franchise to name a few recent examples.

Durin

Neo Member
I'm only happy with the Switch exclusives wise, because Nintendo just has more of them with better genre diversity.

Sony are weaker this gen just because these higher budget games take longer to make, and we haven't seen much new killer IP. So I only get a few things a year, and we're getting less than precious gens.

That said, exclusives are only beneficial for those companies, not consumers, so I'm fine with almost everything on PC now.

Aces High

I'm not happy.

GT7 is the best GT in ages but they fucked it up with greedy implementation of GAAS mechanics. $70 price tag + ultra slow grind for ingame resources is not cool. Especially not since the game is one big infomercial for automobile corporations. This was the last GT game for me. I don't care anymore.

GoW Ragnarök was one of the most boring games I have ever played. It was so goddamn slow and boring. I hate it when games force me to walk. It reduces immersion because it overrides my input. I also don't like the camera of the new GoW games. 70% of the screen is Kratos' back. Who thought this is a good idea? Just do the camera like From Software. It works. Gamers love it. And Atreus is an awfully written character.

Naughty Dog has become a laughing stock.

Insomniac is complex because in my eyes they make very good video games, but I detest their cooperation with Sweet Baby Inc. Sweet Baby is an agency for political propaganda. By partnering up with Sweet Baby, Insomniac and Sony demonstrate that they have zero respect for me as a customer. It's one reason why they lost me as a customer.

Horizon Forbidden West looks stunning, but everything else about this game is stupid. Aloy is an awfully written character. She is boring and humourless. The gameplay is clunky. The world building is awful. Imagine someone tells you "I created a game where you fight robo dinosaurs, yo!" and all you get is this boring mess of a wannabe discovery channel documentation. Why the hell can't this game be cool for a second?

TLDR: PlayStation studios are a complete mess.

bender

What time is it?
GT7 is the best GT in ages but they fucked it up with greedy implementation of GAAS mechanics. $70 price tag + ultra slow grind for ingame resources is not cool. Especially not since the game is one big infomercial for automobile corporations. This was the last GT game for me. I don't care anymore.

Not to counter you and it this is going to depend on your tolerance for tedium but you can earn $825K+ (depending on marathon payouts) for a ~30 minute race. I just do this once a day and money is no issue.

I have had to resort to revamping my retro console situation and investing in a Quest 3 so I could get some variety. I think more damning than any lack of exclusives, is the consolidation of gameplay mechanics in todays software. Every game feels the same, generally speaking.

edit: every large budget game.
Yes, same here. Gaming has become like Hollywood, bankrupt of creativity

Yes but only for PS5, which has at least had some first-party exclusives as well as third-party ones such as Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth.

The Xbox Series X though, a big resounding NO! I've been extremely disappointed with Microsoft's efforts or rather lack of effort on the first party exclusives front. Starfield was the best of an underwhelming bunch and that was a mediocre RPG in my opinion. Forza Motorsport was disappointing, a dull grindy racer with graphics that are not as good as showcased or what I would have expected from an extended development and being built from the ground up for this generation. Halo Infinite was also a massive letdown, a franchise that diminishes with each sequel due to no longer being developed by Bungie.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
As a player, I don't really understand what difference it makes to me whether the game I'm playing is exclusive or not?
It matters because you bought the platform where you are playing an exclusive. The choice matters more to those who buy a system just for exclusives or only have one platform.

mdkirby

Not really. Less said about Xbox the better, even starfield was a damp squib. And after a many year break from xbox with fond memories of halo 1 & 2 campaigns, infinite did a great job of trampling on those memories 🤣, such a meh game. Indiana Jones looks like it could be great.

Sony was…fine, I guess.

Horizon - not as good as first, finding aloy insufferable; she just always seems annoyed, not likeable.
Morales - good but short
Spider-Man 2 - poor pacing, and I’m left of center but the first half was almost too much for me with the DEI stuff.
DemonSouls - was nice to revisit I supoose
Returnal - excellent. More like this plz
Helldivers - excellent
Allll the remasters….I played those not long ago.
God of war ragnarok - good, but not as good as first. Not overly memorable.

I’m sure death stranding 2 will be great; and wolverine fun.

It feels like Sonys smaller studios and partners are doing a lot of the heavy lifting tbh, and their blockbuster studios are letting the side down.

Edit…oh ff16, some of the worst writing ever in a game imo. Chunks of the Mai story were good. Killed off by far the most interesting character in the first 1/4. Side quests and chunks of the main story would have been better served if written by ai 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Terenty

Something major should happen to the gaming industry overall for things to improve, a sea change in the mindset, some crash maybe or smth.

The way things are right now there's no hope for AAA.

Complete creative bankruptcy caused by rampant woke virus and risk aversion.

Lunarorbit

No. Not even close. This has been the worst Gen for exclusives that I can think of.

Solely speaking on ps5 I count 8 new games. Naughty dog has been abysmal. TLOU 1/2 are two of the most impactful I've played but they are ps4 games.

I think we're stuck in this shitty cycle now of only a few games a gen and then several cross gen games coming out.

Sony needs to create more A and AA games that are quirky. Can we please have ANYTHING for psvr2? Make games on the scope of Hades, gucamelee, bloodstain etc... make a studio to do it like Tokyo Game Factory (RIP)

Melfice7

Of course not, this has been the worst generation for exclusives because its the first one that doesnt feel like a new generation, most games were and some are still cross gen, and the exclusive ones are not a significant leap over the last generation.

A few extra bells and whistles is not what id call a new generation. If they keep making consoles that are not significantly different than the previous one then they need to stop charging 500€ for a new machine and 80€ per game

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Enjoyed Switch and Xbox quite a bit. Did not enjoy the PS5 lineup so far.

I will say though, I have full confidence the end of PS5 will finish extremely strong. If they launch new IP, I will be interested.

bender

What time is it?
Dunkey just posted this and it perfectly captures my disappointment.

I think they'll be stuck in this loop as long as Sony is making consoles. And the question I'd be asking myself if I were more interested in Sony's first party offerings is, "when do I jump in?" on any given title as right around the corner will be a next generation patch or full remake.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
As other have said, thank goodness for Demon's Souls (and a remake no less) otherwise this gen would have been a total wash for me.

Dr. Suchong

Worst. Gen. Ever.
I basically bought a overpriced Ps4 in a Ps5 skin.
My series X is a backward compatible machine first and foremost.
Remasters of remasters of remasters.
Doesn't really feel like next Gen has even begun.
If the industry is heading for another crash I'm glad.
Shake shit up a bit, fuck casuals, take Gaming underground (maybe 😉)
Back to basics instead of unsustainable, triple A, blockbuster, set piece bullshit.

tusharngf

naughty dog games are needed. I enjoyed last of us on original ps3 and later the uncharted trilogy series. But they are busy working on remakes. For me Last of us 2 is a miss due to odd storyline.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Sony 1st party output has been very boring and safe. I want that Sony from the early days of the PS3. At least we got games that were different, not remasters and press O to win games. I hope that the success of Helldivers 2 pushes Sony towards the good path once again.

Dazraell

Not really. I miss the new IPs we had in past gen like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon or Until Dawn. This generation feels mostly it is about remakes, remasters, sequels and cross-gen games

McGILLAZ

I purchased a Ps5 for exclusivity and everytime a title that happens to be a first party exclusive lands on the console, its announced to launch on Steam (Demon's Soul is the exception).

This is annoying in and of itself, but here's the kicker....I was the lucky one out of my friends to get a Ps5 at launch...I have a group of 4 to 5 friends that tried and tried to get one, but were never successful. With the constant barrage of exclusives coming to Steam - all of these friends have given up on the console which really sucks because there's a bunch of these guys that I'd love to go through Demons Souls with - this now seems like it isn't going to happen.

Couple that with the fact that the PsClassics offering is laughable (and some require you to have PS+) ...ugh I digress.

Bond007

Im going to say Yes.

We are talking about exclusives as a whole. On the PS5 side absolutely up to this point but it seems 2024 may end up being a disappointment we shall see. Same for the Switch if the 2 gets delayed. My Xbox is non existent.
So 2/3 of my consoles have been great through today.
I will undoubtedly probably be alittle bummed by years end if the one year drought remains but that shouldnt take away from the bangers that got us here in my opinion.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think MS have been absolutely abysmal. Their two good games were Forza games and tbh, they werent even that great.

Sony has been fairly decent, but ultimately Disappointing.

I was looking at that Dunkey video where he goes through each remake, and each sequel and finds reviews that call them more of the same. This after cerny promised us the world.

Part of it is because 3 of their biggest studios made cross gen games that obviously felt like retreads. If HFW, GOW Ragnorak and GT7 hadnt been so samey, i suspect people would have a much more positive outlook on their lineup.

Their fake remakes which are essentially glorified remasters changed absolutely nothing in terms of gameplay. Same level design, same combat, same enemies, its basically the same thing game with next gen visuals and TLOU1 didnt even get that part right.

They made the mistake of leaning heavily on Insomniac and while they are a good studio, they cant be expected to push out GOTY contenders every two years. They need that extra time that wasnt awarded to them leading them to cut major parts of the game. Meanwhile Sucker Punch, ND, Bend, and even that Astrobot studio are given 5-7 years.

Nintendo has been ok. Zelda was amazing, and so was Bayonetta, but i just cant live off of these other 2D games they keep pushing out. Everyone's like Nintendo has been amazing, and Im like dude, where is their AAA mario, AAA mario kart, AAA metroid? Why are we ok with 2D metroids and 2D Marios. What is this 1995?

In terms of ratings, Id give MS a D+ for Forzas alone. Nintendo a C and Sony a B.

Here are my scores for each First Party game I played this year for an extended amount of time:
MS
Starfield 6
Halo Infinite 7
Forza Horizon 7
Forza Motostorspot 7.5

Sony
Miles 7
Demon Souls 9
Returnal 8
Ratchet 7
HFW 7
TLOU 6
GOW 8.5
FF16 7
Spiderman 8.5

Nintendo
Zelda ToTK 9.5
Bayonetta 8

a_d_a

Neo Member
PS6/Xnext will be worse. Like all the remasters will be done upto a good graphical and performance level by then. What would the next gen offer.

PSFan

I'm not even happy including the Switch. I'm not finding Nintendo's first party games as much fun as previous gens.

aclar00

Not particularly, it could be better in my opinion, but the PS+ price hike, game price hike, lower quanity of 1st party games, continued cross gen support, little graphical, AI (cpu) or game design improvements.....push for GaaS...little VR2 support from Sony, no PS5 price cut, crappy dualsense battery life, shitty PSN streaming (game trailers & photos) and a host of other things....

Oops, went on a tangent about things besides games.

I only own PS5

Last edited:

Xaeroxcore666

Neo Member
Spider-Man Logo GIF by PlayStation
Gamer Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
Gran Turismo Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
Video Games Dancing GIF by PlayStation
I Love You Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
Horizon Zero Dawn Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
Hey You Good Job GIF by PlayStation

Most of those games are crossgen. PS5 has still few real next gen exclusives, more than 3 years of release. Xbox is in even a worst scenario, with next gen "exclusives" that havent match all the expectations put on them (Starfield, Forza), despite being actually great games, but no what they promised...And now add all the recent games exclusivity drama. And we are starting to finally get more multiplattform next gen games, but most of them are great too, but, again, wasnt as impressive as we had used to on previous generations...Even some of the most popular games this month were built with last gen tech (FF VII Rebirth, Helldivers 2)....And this added with the console stock problem (specially PS5) during the first of the years of the gen....Everything wrong with this gen!

So NO, this gen is the worst console gen by far. Hope the second half of it fix a little bit things...

Onironauta

I'm not even happy including the Switch. I'm not finding Nintendo's first party games as much fun as previous gens.
This, too many Switch games are WiiU (or older) remasters/remakes

Too many PS5 "exclusives" can be played on PS4 (or PS3 when it comes to Demons Souls and TLoU Part I) if you don't care about graphical upgrades

Driest gen ever

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I voted no. It's been a bag of piss quite frankly. Makes me think the next gen will be remasters of this gen. An endless cycle of horror with a periodic Sony classic thrown in. 😅

Arachnid

No. Other than Demon Souls, they've all been pretty mid. Nothing really knocked my socks off like Bloodborne.

EDIT: Not including switch, of course.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

From a multi console perspective... kind of.

I massively enjoyed Xbox at launch. Gears Hivebusters, Halo and then Forza Horizon 5 were incredible. At that point we also had Demons Souls on PS5, Sackboy, Miles Morales and then Returnal.

I'm not gonna count these games, but because we had enhanced BC games it made the transition into a new gen a lot better. Waiting to play Ori on Series X for example was a top move because of 120fps smoothness.

But I dunno... the generation couldn't hold it up for me. God of War was OK, Ratchet and Clank was cool and now we have Helldivers which is incredible.

Xbox been none existent for a while now. I don't touch my Series X despite it being my preferred machine at launch.

This gen needs a spicy era defining run of exclusives to be considered good in my eyes and it just isn't happening despite a strong start.

When it comes to third party we had a banger of a year last year though.

Last edited:

Crayon

With the state of my game options these days, three beast-ass games in three years is pretty good. Demon's, Returnal, and gt7 are all top notch shit. Many of sony's games are of amazing quality but are normie-oriented. Good (horizon) or even great (gow) but not like my favorite 3 u there.

So if the the last few years I've probably played 10-15 truly fantastic games, and 3 of them came from one publisher, I'm impressed.

Games in series come out slow now but there are more individual games than ever. I don't feel any craving for games that are exclusive to the system I already bought. So I personally, don't have a problem with sony's output.

I haven't tried got, gowr, or lou. I hear all are pretty good but I kinda doubt they are straight godlike considering my tastes. But still, pretty good is pretty good and those should count a bit, too. Would count a lot but there are so many outstanding 3rd party games out. Armored core, elden ring, 13 sentinels, ff7, Cyberpunk, Tekken, gg, bg3, re8. My three favorite Sony games this gen are holding their own.

This, too many Switch games are WiiU (or older) remasters/remakes

Too many PS5 "exclusives" can be played on PS4 (or PS3 when it comes to Demons Souls and TLoU Part I) if you don't care about graphical upgrades

Driest gen ever
And a lot of new games too… More than triple of the remasters.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I think the first party offerings from both Sony and Microsoft are largely uninteresting. My list of favorites from them is really short: Demon Souls Remake (prefer the original but it's nice to have on a modern system), Gran Turismo 7, Forza Horizon 5 (I'm starting to feel heavy series fatigue with this one) and High-Fi Rush (not exclusive anymore). I'll most likely be done with Xbox after this generation. I'll stay in the PlayStation ecosystem as it offers a low cost device to play the latest games and gives me access to my friend group.

T0minator

Returnal is such an incredible single player experience.

Helldivers 2 has been an incredible multiplayer experience.

I'm enjoying this generation more than last gen...so far. If we don't get ground breaking next level stuff shown this year at the showcase's and releasing then last gen will end up being better than this gen.

Naughty Dog
Santa Monica
Coalition

Save us

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
No.

As a PS5 player, primarily, I feel like we're still trapped in the world of 2017 where all games are merely PS4 games but they may have a few performance perks if one plays them on PS5. they're all basically the same games, only the PS5 version will run at 60 fps and may have some half hearted ray tracing.

I know that I am generalizing things here, but I feel like I am not offbase. Aside from the cool controllers and fast storage this gen feels almost pointless.

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I've been enjoying those exclusives on PC so far, including Horizon Forbidden West this weekend so yes.

Top Bottom