• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Argentina Judge orders seizure of Oil Firm's assets drilling around Falkland Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Yes. But to Argentina the will of the people does not matter.

are there many countries to whom "the will of the people" would matter if a part of their country decided not to hang out with them anymore? of course the problem here is that argentina is entirely wrong to consider the falklands to be part of their country.

Sean Penn will lead the vanguard for Argentina.

I'd really like that, i really would! Sean Penn is one of the most arrogant self righteous easily swayed band wagon jumpers the world has ever known! he only got involved because a free holiday and lots of attention got him on their side

Nether!

The last time I saw this topic come up on here I learned a lot about the situation.
I remember there was also an Argentinian poster who adamantly defended their country's ownership of the islands despite all evidence to the contrary.

Isn't there a lot of corruption in Argentina?

I really, really want to visit there though. I've heard that it is an amazing country, both in nature and its welcoming people. But is it also one of those countries were you have to be wary of getting mucked as a backpacker? me no espana comprende y me idiota i en una caballo pero yo cabrino "backpacker" cinco!

Theonik

9-26-12-Queen-Elizabeth_full_600.jpg

"You come at the Queen, you best not miss"
I just noticed that hat is made to look like a crown. The queen is styling.

Manu

The last time I saw this topic come up on here I learned a lot about the situation.
I remember there was also an Argentinian poster who adamantly defended their country's ownership of the islands despite all evidence to the contrary.

We still have a lot of people like that, sadly, because it's what we're taught.

I can't even discuss the Falklands with my parents because they get irrationally angry over it.

Isn't there a lot of corruption in Argentina?

I really, really want to visit there though. I've heard that it is an amazing country, both in nature and its welcoming people. But is it also one of those countries were you have to be wary of getting mucked as a backpacker? me no espana comprende y me idiota i en una caballo pero yo cabrino "backpacker" cinco!

Yes.

Tbh, Uruguay and Chile are the only SA countries that don't have truckloads of corruption.

Akyan

are there many countries to whom "the will of the people" would matter if a part of their country decided not to hang out with them anymore? of course the problem here is that argentina is entirely wrong to consider the falklands to be part of their country.

The UK is one at least. We had a referendum on Scottish independence very recently.

goomba

Banned
The UK is one at least. We had a referendum on Scottish independence very recently.

Uhh scotland had a referendum , i dont think britian would have accepted if scotland had voted for independance.

Crimea and east ukraine voted for independance, not many countries recognised the will of those people.

Aegus

Uhh scotland had a referendum , i dont think britian would have accepted if scotland had voted for independance.

Crimea and east ukraine voted for independance, not many countries recognised the will of those people.

Except the referendum was agreed upon between the Scottish Parliament and UK Government. If the UK Government wasn't going to accept the outcome if it was a yes vote then they'd not have had every major party leader going North of the Border for the first time in their lives to rally support for no.

Rubbish, the referendum was run with full UK government agreement.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

i am not an expert on how the uk works exactly, but aren't england, scotland and wales already countries, and the referendum was for scotland to leave the uk? isn't the uk technically a sovereign state or something like that?

but in any case, i did say "many". even if the uk counts (and i generally think they seem to be pretty cool if someone wants to bail), i still feel it's the exception rather than the rule. the guilt of a dead empire.

operon

Nonsense if Scotland voted yes, they would have became independent.

NekoFever

Argentina won't do anything. I remember when the UK deployed HMS Dauntless to the Falklands a couple of years ago it was reported that that ship alone had the capability to take out Argentina's entire air force before it took off.

lol, you've no idea what you're talking about

Log4Girlz

i am not an expert on how the uk works exactly, but aren't england, scotland and wales already countries, and the referendum was for scotland to leave the uk? isn't the uk technically a sovereign state or something like that?

but in any case, i did say "many". even if the uk counts (and i generally think they seem to be pretty cool if someone wants to bail), i still feel it's the exception rather than the rule. the guilt of a dead empire.

They say they are, but thats not really true.

It's a British tradition at this point, the crown also respected the Referendum on Australian independence in the late 19th century. Not sure if there was an actual referendum in Canada, but they let them go too. The whole empire eventually broke away during the 20th century without great wars of independence, although with varying degrees of friction.

The specific terminology of England, Scotland etc is really ducking confusing. They're not countries in the sense of being an independent state with their own foreign policy and so on. The British do refer to them as separate countries, though.

Volimar

Every time I see this thread I misread "Angelina Jolie orders seizure of Oil Firm's assets drilling around Falkland Islands."

cirrhosis

This has got to be a crafty plan for Argentina where the end result would be the loss of the rest of their Navy. Saves them money they could spend elsewhere.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
They should settle this on a soccer match, winner takes it all.

Only if we chop all the Argentinians hands off first! (Well, maybe the goalkeeper can keep his) :p

Kuros

It happens something similar with Gibraltar and Spain. These things are very hard to solve on this age.

Gibraltar is slightly different because it's actually a peninsula connected to Spain. The Falklands are Islands 300 miles away from Argentina.

Both want to remain as they are and it should stay that way IMO.

Kuros

It's a British tradition at this point, the crown also respected the Referendum on Australian independence in the late 19th century. Not sure if there was an actual referendum in Canada, but they let them go too. The whole empire eventually broke away during the 20th century without great wars of independence, although with varying degrees of friction.

The specific terminology of England, Scotland etc is really ducking confusing. They're not countries in the sense of being an independent state with their own foreign policy and so on. The British do refer to them as separate countries, though.

UK is the sovereign state made up of countries. Or if you want to piss off the Welsh 3 countries and a principality.

A few, such as the UK. Plus they're all supposed to care about it. Right to self determination and all that.

cntr

Banned
Honestly, I half want to say at this point that Britain should just evacuate everybody then give the island to Argentina, after using nukes on it to turn it uninhabitable.

don't take this seriously

My wife is from Argentina and I lived there for a couple of years myself. She hates their current president, and the president to be. She is ashamed of her country and other than her family being from there she doesnt want to go back at all because there is no future there. (unless you want to live off of welfare the rest of your life)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
It's logical from the perspective she wants to drum up populist sentiment for her during a period of economic instability within the country. A simple bit of political misdirection.

that's what i said, populism has little effect when basically the entirety of Argentina doesn't care/wants the Falklands to remain British

Didn't know that, I thought the airstrip was too small.

Airstrip was expanded, the UK also has more troops stationed there than before. Unlike the Falkands war we also now have anti-air systems that work on the island now. It would take a large force to invade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom