• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane explains why new Prey is still called "Prey"

Truant

What he's actually saying: "Bethesda bought the IP so they had to find a way to use it to please the shareholders. It meant our dream game pitch suddenly got financed on the condition that we used the name. It's a win win situation."

~Cross~

Uh yeah. Why would we be satisfied with less? We demand absolute transparency, disclosure, and for shitty business practices to be publicly ridiculed.

Yeah good luck with a developer publicly slamming their bosses just so that some people in the internet feel better.

Whompa02

"Because it's cool and we have the name"

Definitely a news worthy response that would not garner any negative replies I'm sure. /s

KORNdoggy

Do you really think the brand carries much selling power? I don't. It's more well known for the fuckery around it's making than anything else. I'm not convinced it was chosen as a means to sell the game on it's heritage.

this.

if it was about attaching a brand with selling power to a new experience then they're going about it the wrong way. all this is doing is kicking up "controversy" among us forum dwellers because we DO know about the original, but average joe won't.

to see any sort of positive sales from the joe public gamers you need to attach a brand that's actually well known. not an obscure, cult following FPS that took 11 years to make...

this is more likely a case of using an IP you're already sat on and doing nothing with.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
this.

if it was about attaching a brand with selling power to a new experience then they're going about it the wrong way. all this is doing is kicking up "controversy" among us forum dwellers because we DO know about the original, but average joe won't.

to see any sort of positive sales from the joe public gamers you need to attach a brand that's actually well known. not an obscure, cult following FPS that took 11 years to make...

this is more likely a case of using an IP you're already sat on and doing nothing with.

It's both, really. Raph's leaked e-mail all but categorically states that the intention was to have the game launch a new IP, but Bethesda/Zenimax was wary of signing off and a compromise was reached by way of Arkane agreeing to name it Prey.

Xater

Do you really think the brand carries much selling power? I don't. It's more well known for the fuckery around it's making than anything else. I'm not convinced it was chosen as a means to sell the game on it's heritage.

A brand is better than no brand. Marketing has already been proven right. Just look at the articles about he dumb name, now everyone knows about the game.

Yeah good luck with a developer publicly slamming their bosses just so that some people in the internet feel better.

Didn't say it would happen but it is what we want.

Anyway, using the name Prey is incredibly disappointing. Prey was a great game and one of the best FPSs on the 360.

Didn't say it would happen but it is what we want.

Don't think anyone wants or expects Arkane, of all people, to be the ones to call out Bethesda.

I'd rather everyone who isn't owned by Bethesda be the ones to call them out.

A brand is better than no brand. Marketing has already been proven right. Just look at the articles about he dumb name, now everyone knows about the game.

and there'll be a lot of people who'll pride themselves on feeling above the drama and will by it, despite being aware of Bethesda's practices.

Top Bottom