• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game |OT| Cards of Cthulhu

So, I think this is old news, but I just learnt that there is going to be a 12 player gencon event called The Labyrinth of Lunacy. Anyone going to that? Hopefully they should release it as a standalone scenario later. How they can make a 4 player game support 12 I have no idea.

XShagrath

So, I think this is old news, but I just learnt that there is going to be a 12 player gencon event called The Labyrinth of Lunacy. Anyone going to that? Hopefully they should release it as a standalone scenario later. How they can make a 4 player game support 12 I have no idea.
There have been twelve player scenarios of LOTR, which only supports four players. The way they do it is by having three four-player groups play the scenario simultaneously, without any direct interaction with the other groups. I am guessing that maybe there will be some kind of branching path depending on how each group did during their run of a particular act. Not having seen the scenario yet, that part is purely speculation though.

Here's the press release for the LOTR scenario, so you can get an idea of how The Labyrinth of Lunacy will (mostly likely) play.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/27/defend-against-the-siege-of-annuminas/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man played Eldritch with my wife (I think it was her first or maybe second game) and she was just like...what was that other Arkham game we played recently? I liked that one way better. Eldritch is way better than Arkham BG mechanically, but it can still have those games where things just go goofy. Like we got pretty easy mysteries that happened to spawn very close and won in like five turns. Was super anti-climactic. Much more replayable ofc and I still love Eldritch but think I'll stick to ALCG and Elder Sign with my wife.

I had no idea this game even existed until I saw this thread today...and now I plan to go out and buy 2 core sets tonight!

Any suggestions for mythos packs with the first 2 core sets? Or just get the core sets for now to introduce my friends and I to it?

XShagrath

I had no idea this game even existed until I saw this thread today...and now I plan to go out and buy 2 core sets tonight!

Any suggestions for mythos packs with the first 2 core sets? Or just get the core sets for now to introduce my friends and I to it?

The way things work past the core set is in a "campaign" style of play. Each cycle starts with a Deluxe Expansion (The Dunwich Legacy) and then the mythos packs continue that story forward. You must have the deluxe expansion in order to play any of the scenarios from the mythos packs, as they require encounter cards from that set. The only small-pack scenarios you can play without the Dunwich Legacy are Curse of the Rougarou and Carnevale of Horror, which are the two Print-on-Demand scenarios currently available.

The next campaign, Path to Carcosa, will be released in August, and will start with another Deluxe Expansion, followed by six more mythos packs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
New preview for Lost in Time & Space

Excited for this to come out next week, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it.

Have to re-run the whole campaign to get to it.

I don't get how that spoiler part happened? Did your dude(s) really go to full permanent damage? Or something triggered devoured? I feel like it's possible but pretty hard to die permanently even in Dunwich, but could totally be forgetting something. Just asking in case you treated a regular death as a permadeath instead of just taking a trauma (highly unlikely -- but gotta check!).

XShagrath

I don't get how that spoiler part happened? Did your dude(s) really go to full permanent damage? Or something triggered devoured? I feel like it's possible but pretty hard to die permanently even in Dunwich, but could totally be forgetting something. Just asking in case you treated a regular death as a permadeath instead of just taking a trauma (highly unlikely -- but gotta check!).

Where Doom Awaits spoilers aplenty.

Resolution 2 of WDA is straight up insta-death, lose the campaign. We got almost all the way in and my friend got knocked out by the "boss." I was a couple locations away and got bogged down by a couple enemies. Knew I wouldn't be able to take care of them and the boss before I went down too, so I ran to a "resign" location. R2 said Yog-Sothoth was summoned and the entire world was destroyed.

Needless to say, we were a little stunned by that. Everything with the game so far had given the impression that you could continue through the campaign, no matter how bad you did (up until the very end). However, in true Arkham fashion, they showed us that we really can't take anything at all for granted.

Additionally, it looks like there are some other things with this scenario that can cause a bit of grief. The latest Mythos Busters ep had one of the hosts super pissed off about it. I know we played things wrong with it, because there are some Investigate actions on the locations to reveal other locations, and we used Duke to do those. That's not possible, nor are things like Flashlight. You have to be able to straight up investigate a 4(?) shroud location naturally without any additional help outside of skill icons.

Big One

Banned
New preview for Lost in Time & Space

Excited for this to come out next week, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it.

Have to re-run the whole campaign to get to it.
Really curious to see if the
optional Red-Gloved Man card
will affect this scenario in any way. Should be interesting to see how things unfold here.
Where Doom Awaits spoilers aplenty.

Resolution 2 of WDA is straight up insta-death, lose the campaign. We got almost all the way in and my friend got knocked out by the "boss." I was a couple locations away and got bogged down by a couple enemies. Knew I wouldn't be able to take care of them and the boss before I went down too, so I ran to a "resign" location. R2 said Yog-Sothoth was summoned and the entire world was destroyed.

Needless to say, we were a little stunned by that. Everything with the game so far had given the impression that you could continue through the campaign, no matter how bad you did (up until the very end). However, in true Arkham fashion, they showed us that we really can't take anything at all for granted.

Additionally, it looks like there are some other things with this scenario that can cause a bit of grief. The latest Mythos Busters ep had one of the hosts super pissed off about it. I know we played things wrong with it, because there are some Investigate actions on the locations to reveal other locations, and we used Duke to do those. That's not possible, nor are things like Flashlight. You have to be able to straight up investigate a 4(?) shroud location naturally without any additional help outside of skill icons.
I'm kind of ok with that considering
Where Doom Awaits is the 7th scenario. At point you're basically at the end of the campaign anyway, so why not subvert your expectations by making the campaign end slightly early?

XShagrath

Hmm...the core set is $70 in Canada ($77 w/tax). Not sure I can justify spending $150+ on a new game at the moment. That sucks!
That's probably because we're in between print runs right now, and people are jacking up the price due to demand. Wait a month or two and FFG should have another batch on the shelves at the MSRP (which is $40 USD).

I'm kind of ok with that considering
Where Doom Awaits is the 7th scenario. At point you're basically at the end of the campaign anyway, so why not subvert your expectations by making the campaign end slightly early?

Because there's still another scenario, and I can't legally play it until I go all the way back through all of the other content again?

I'm going to speculate here, and say that they have probably lost a few casual players over this. There are probably a small portion of players who buy the content and run through it once and that's it. If their 'gators are dead, why buy the next pack? And if this is something that can happen now in the penultimate pack, who's to say it can't happen at any point? Some of those players might bail at that point and move on to another game.

I've got no problems running back through the campaign, and had planned on it anyways. But I don't know when that's going to be, and so that Lost in Time and Space pack is just going to be sitting in a box for a while. With all the other mythos packs, I was pretty much ripping into the scenario the first chance me and my gaming partner could get together.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hm...come to think of it (train scenario spoilers):
The first time we played the train scenario we got completely screwed by having the basically inescapable car (that takes 3+ turns to get out of) first and just all died -- well OK got knocked out. We didn't even give it a second thought to just run it back right away though afterwards we were like oh yeah I guess strictly speaking we should have just ended there, taken our trauma, and called it a night. dsfdf but imo if you guys felt that way you should have just run it back, and I imagine most casual groups would do that.

I'm trying not to look at these in too much detail. I don't even look at player card spoilers before I open my packs.

That's probably the right thing to do if you are already going to buy it. I do like looking at the previews to get starting thinking about potential future xp purchases, but there is nothing quite like the moment when you first get a mythos pack and there is an unspoilt card that just blindsides you.

update!
enjoyed the game! I'm now waiting for the last mythos pack for dunwhich (releasing in italy in a few days) and a date for carcosa..
That being said, I've also ordered
Elder sign
Unseen forces
Gates of Arkham
Omens of Ice
Omens of the deep

to scratch the itch in the meanwhile..

next..
should i buy another lcg, lotr (which i love), or should i buy either

mom 2nd ed + available expansions (or at least 3 to start)
descent 2nd ed + available expansions (or at least 3 to start)
eldritch horror + available expansions
?

elder sign i'm buying as it's a conceptually quicker game and it's on the cheap side.. i bought everything for like 90 euros, so w/e :)
i want atmosphere and replayability for a game :p I'm a bit concerned about MoM replayability as it has so few scenarios :X descent seems a clear winner in that respect...

consider I'm mainly a solo player, though i occasionally get my gf to tag along :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh wow man you're as deep into Arkham Files as me at this rate. :p They're all honestly pretty good choices as solo games. Eldritch if you're looking for challenge. MoM if you're looking for theme. Descent I haven't played since the app came out so can't speak to it, but depending on impressions might actually be your best bet so you don't get too burned out on Arkham.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Played the Gathering with my wife tonight. Went pretty terrible. She got knocked out and I fled. In such a short round the number of times we pulled the tentacles, - 3, and -4 was ridiculous.

So I played this solo on the main campaign first. Through the first section, I realized that I played combat incorrectly.

I've watch a couple of instruction videos, but doesn't anyone have a guide or progress chart in regard to combat. Any help would be great! :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I played this solo on the main campaign first. Through the first section, I realized that I played combat incorrectly.

I've watch a couple of instruction videos, but doesn't anyone have a guide or progress chart in regard to combat. Any help would be great! :)

Yeah sounds like you already figured it out but first thing to get out of your head is that there even is a "combat" phase per se at all. There's no back and forth, just you can Fight as an action, and then any enemies engaged with you attack after enemy movement phase. I could see how this would trip people up who've played other Arkham games because it's really nothing like them (especially the original Arkham Horror where combat is like this five-step thing).

Oh wow man you're as deep into Arkham Files as me at this rate. :p They're all honestly pretty good choices as solo games. Eldritch if you're looking for challenge. MoM if you're looking for theme. Descent I haven't played since the app came out so can't speak to it, but depending on impressions might actually be your best bet so you don't get too burned out on Arkham.
whelp man, goes without saying :p
when I like something I go down on it hard!

Ravelle

I have the board game Arkham Horror but setting it up and the gameplay rules were so terribly described and confusing it was a nightmare to play and figuring it out with a group of people, especially when you spent 3 hours of figuring it out and then getting wiped after a couple of minutes.

I've been browsing the thread and the card game looks pretty amazing, is it easily picked up?

I have the board game Arkham Horror but setting it up and the gameplay rules were so terribly described and confusing it was a nightmare to play and figuring it out with a group of people, especially when you spent 3 hours of figuring it out and then getting wiped after a couple of minutes.

I've been browsing the thread and the card game looks pretty amazing, is it easily picked up?

your main concern might be availability :)
I had to browse a bit to get it, but maybe it's like this only in italy :)

Yeah sounds like you already figured it out but first thing to get out of your head is that there even is a "combat" phase per se at all. There's no back and forth, just you can Fight as an action, and then any enemies engaged with you attack after enemy movement phase. I could see how this would trip people up who've played other Arkham games because it's really nothing like them (especially the original Arkham Horror where combat is like this five-step thing).

Sweet, thanks!

sn00zer

Oh awesome didnt know there was a thread. Just started this last night with my SO. Was pretty daunting since we are new to board games, but had a ton of fun.

Quick questions since i couldnt find them in the rules.
1) Can we trade resources between players as actions or during normal play?
2) Can another investigator (player 2) attack an enemy thats engaged with another player (player 1) during their (player 2s) turn? This seemed kind of confusing since the enemy card is placed in an investigators threat area off the main board when it is engaged with a player.
3) Once an enemy is evaded during investigation phase can it do nothing during the enemy phase?
4) Can any player assist another player during a skill check if it just to give them cards to burn to pass the skill test?

That's probably because we're in between print runs right now, and people are jacking up the price due to demand. Wait a month or two and FFG should have another batch on the shelves at the MSRP (which is $40 USD).

$40 USD is $51 CDN, plus there is always a markup on stuff here. So realistically I wouldn't expect it to do below $60 CDN. :(

Oh awesome didnt know there was a thread. Just started this last night with my SO. Was pretty daunting since we are new to board games, but had a ton of fun.

Quick questions since i couldnt find them in the rules.
1) Can we trade resources between players as actions or during normal play?
2) Can another investigator (player 2) attack an enemy thats engaged with another player (player 1) during their (player 2s) turn? This seemed kind of confusing since the enemy card is placed in an investigators threat area off the main board when it is engaged with a player.
3) Once an enemy is evaded during investigation phase can it do nothing during the enemy phase?
4) Can any player assist another player during a skill check if it just to give them cards to burn to pass the skill test?

1) No.

2) Yes, but if the attack test fails, you deal the attack's damage to the player the enemy is engaged with.

3) Yes it does nothing since it's exhausted. It readies again during the upkeep phase after the enemy phase.

4) Yes, but only one card and you have to be at the same location.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
1) No.

2) Yes, but if the attack test fails, you deal the attack's damage to the player the enemy is engaged with.

3) Yes it does nothing since it's exhausted. It readies again during the upkeep phase after the enemy phase.

+1 to all these. Only thing I would add would be that going into the player's threat area makes sense because they follow you around, do attacks of opportunity on you, etc. When the enemy becomes engaged they have everything to do with you, and not so much the location you're in (unless you can shake them via an Evade). Other reminder here too is that you can only Evade enemies you're engaged with, unless some special ability or card effect lets you do otherwise.

sn00zer

1) No.

+1 to all these. Only thing I would add would be that going into the player's threat area makes sense because they follow you around, do attacks of opportunity on you, etc. When the enemy becomes engaged they have everything to do with you, and not so much the location you're in (unless you can shake them via an Evade). Other reminder here too is that you can only Evade enemies you're engaged with, unless some special ability or card effect lets you do otherwise.
Thanks! Took us around 2 days to get through the rules amd a few shaky rounds but i think we have the hang of it.

fuzzyset

My roommates and I went full in on this. So glad we did. We've played netrunner, LOTR, and GOT, but this has been our favorite probably. Played through the core and Dunwich big box this weekend. Gonna dive into the packs tomorrow. We play tabletop RPGs as well, and we get the same "how is our decision going to affect us" vibes from this. It's great.

Noaloha

It won't hunt or attack normally since it's exhausted, but it can still be targeted by card text on scenario cards and the like (Act, Agenda, locations, etc). An example of this occurs in the first scenario -- you're instructed in an Agenda that all unengaged enemies of a certain type will move toward a location, which means that if an enemy gets evaded in investigation phase and doesn't subsequently get re-engaged, it's a fair target for the Agenda text, even though it's exhausted.

sn00zer

Oh another quick question. Can equipped weapons be used forever? Like my SO has a sweet machete that has a bunch of buffs, is there ever a reason it could break or somwthing?

XShagrath

Oh another quick question. Can equipped weapons be used forever? Like my SO has a sweet machete that has a bunch of buffs, is there ever a reason it could break or somwthing?
Assets stick around for the entire scenario, unless otherwise specified. Even if a gun is out of ammo, it still takes up a hand slot until you replace it with another hand asset.

Certain items (like the Baseball Bat) have conditions that cause them to break and get discarded. There are also treacheries or enemies which might make you discard a weapon or other asset.

Your wife's machete is probably pretty safe once she gets it out, and it is regarded as one of the best weapons currently in the game, at least in the early scenarios of a campaign.

sn00zer

Assets stick around for the entire scenario, unless otherwise specified. Even if a gun is out of ammo, it still takes up a hand slot until you replace it with another hand asset.

Certain items (like the Baseball Bat) have conditions that cause them to break and get discarded. There are also treacheries or enemies which might make you discard a weapon or other asset.

Your wife's machete is probably pretty safe once she gets it out, and it is regarded as one of the best weapons currently in the game, at least in the early scenarios of a campaign.

Ah cool. Last question. Does Act 3a begin
in the parlor, one player was in the hallway the other in the attic when we started Act3a....do we both automatically move to the parlor at the beginning of ACT 3a without using actions?

XShagrath

Ah cool. Last question. Does Act 3a begin
in the parlor, one player was in the hallway the other in the attic when we started Act3a....do we both automatically move to the parlor at the beginning of ACT 3a without using actions?
No. On Act 2b of The Gathering, it states to reveal the Parlor, flipping the card to its revealed (unlocked) side. This means that the barrier to that room is no longer there and you have the option to move into that room, but you do not automatically teleport there.

So, we did the last mythos pack for the Dunwich cycle today, and it was really great! It was hard and trippy and weird, so basically just what I was hoping for. The thing they do with the locations was interesting. Can't wait for Carcosa, hope it's just as fresh and fun.

The only nitpick I had is with the writing, it's mostly good but the writers are a little too fond of a few words/phrases like "utterly" and "your very eyes."

Make sure you're keeping tack of items' uses and ammo! (For items that have them)

sn00zer

No. On Act 2b of The Gathering, it states to reveal the Parlor, flipping the card to its revealed (unlocked) side. This means that the barrier to that room is no longer there and you have the option to move into that room, but you do not automatically teleport there.

Welp....my character got an immediate beat down
got hit the second it spawned in since we got the last investigatiom token on the last action of investigation and spawned in my room engaged with me, so it went immediately to enemy phase and I got hit, then went to mythos and I drew amnesia....we stoppwd there for the night...damn this game is brutal

Noaloha

Welp....my character got an immediate beat down
got hit the second it spawned in since we got the last investigatiom token on the last action of investigation and spawned in my room engaged with me, so it went immediately to enemy phase and I got hit, then went to mythos and I drew amnesia....we stoppwd there for the night...damn this game is brutal

Common rules error there: Act 2 has additional Objective: text with some requirements for advancing (unlike Act 1 that follows standard rules). You advanced Act 2 at the end of the investigation phase, applied its effects, then resolved an enemy phase immediately afterwards, which - as you noticed - is all sorts of ouch.

You have a location requirement and a timing requirement for Act 2. That required timing is at the very end of the round only, between upkeep and mythos. Essentially this means that, while the subsequent mythos phase will still add some random elements you can't necessarily plan for, you do first get your investigation phase to deal with that mythos and the effect of Act 2's resolution.

sn00zer

Common rules error there: Act 2 has additional Objective: text with some requirements for advancing (unlike Act 1 that follows standard rules). You advanced Act 2 at the end of the investigation phase, applied its effects, then resolved an enemy phase immediately afterwards, which - as you noticed - is all sorts of ouch.

You have a location requirement and a timing requirement for Act 2. That required timing is at the very end of the round only, between upkeep and mythos. Essentially this means that, while the subsequent mythos phase will still add some random elements you can't necessarily plan for, you do first get your investigation phase to deal with that mythos and the effect of Act 2's resolution.

Thanks, luckily we only went one step ahead...can go back and change it.

So if you successfully attack and deal damage to a monster engaged with you, does the monster exhaust?

I ask because if not, you take damage against every enemy that you can't kill in one turn, right?

Haeleos

So if you successfully attack and deal damage to a monster engaged with you, does the monster exhaust?

I ask because if not, you take damage against every enemy that you can't kill in one turn, right?

The monster does not exhaust after you attack and deal damage to it. It would deal damage to the investigator it is engaged with during the enemy phase.

fuzzyset

That's what I thinking but was hoping otherwise. Thanks

Don't forget the Evade action. A lot of the time, the best course of action is to just ignore an enemy by evading and leaving. Also know that Hunter enemies don't move if they're exhausted so you have a full round after you Evade to create space between you and the Hunter.

I'm so bummed out, Lost in Time and Space is sold out everywhere near me and unless I want to pay a jacked up internet price I won't be able to play it for the next few weeks. My local game store was only given a single copy to sell.

XShagrath

I'm so bummed out, Lost in Time and Space is sold out everywhere near me and unless I want to pay a jacked up internet price I won't be able to play it for the next few weeks. My local game store was only given a single copy to sell.
If you were nearby, I'd lend you mine.

Speaking of, has anyone dabbled in online play with either OCTGN or Tabletop Simulator? I've messed around with both briefly, but only in solo play. If people are interested in online play, I'd take the time to get things set up and figured out. Maybe even write up a tutorial or something?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you were nearby, I'd lend you mine.

Speaking of, has anyone dabbled in online play with either OCTGN or Tabletop Simulator? I've messed around with both briefly, but only in solo play. If people are interested in online play, I'd take the time to get things set up and figured out. Maybe even write up a tutorial or something?

Yeah I did it on TTS just to try it out and at least when I tried it it was a really good implementation. Believe GAF's own noaloha has a walkthrough. It's pretty easy to use iirc as long as you're comfortable with TTS (which is like...maybe 30m to become if you're not). I didn't do a full playthrough or anything though, just a few turns to get a feel. I'd be up for trying a GAF game for sure.

Top Bottom