• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Alpha - March 5th - 25 Euros

Presco

Any more lite codes floating around? I want to just buy the Alpha but I figure I should make sure it runs on my system first. I'm guessing it won't run great?

Phenom II X4 965 at 3.4 GHz
560 TI
8Gb

R1CHO

Any more lite codes floating around? I want to just buy the Alpha but I figure I should make sure it runs on my system first. I'm guessing it won't run great?

560 TI
8Gb

Send me a PM with your email and will send the code to you.

owlbeak

Server is bugged out right now. :\

Missions change and end in success after a few seconds and never actually give us a mission we can do. Does it need a reset? I know the mission is a little buggy.

Server is bugged out right now. :\

Missions change and end in success after a few seconds and never actually give us a mission we can do. Does it need a reset? I know the mission is a little buggy.
Mission should have been restarted, let me know if it is still messed up

plainr_

g946L9Y.jpg

After discovering this glitch, SilverSurfer of all people connects. lol.

WX3

560 TI
8Gb
I have a similar setup and it runs on high @ 1920x1080 at 45fps pretty steady. I think you can expect about the same performance as experienced playing ARMA 2.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is this a hardcore of hardcore sim, or is it fairly accessible to someone that will put time into it? I like proper coop stuff but so many FPS games play like kids football with everyone running around in a mad rush and no control

If so, any point getting arma II or should I jump into III straight away to learn?

Is this a hardcore of hardcore sim, or is it fairly accessible to someone that will put time into it? I like proper coop stuff but so many FPS games play like kids football with everyone running around in a mad rush and no control

If so, any point getting arma II or should I jump into III straight away to learn?

Fairly accessible. The showcases will show you mostly everything you need to know, and for the servers so far, the co-op servers are 50/50 on the people just doing stuff and other times have a legit group with helicopter pilots ferrying everyone around to different spots on the map. You should get Arma III since I'm pretty sure most of Arma II stuff is going to get ported over by the amazing modding community.

Longshot

Get Arma 3, can't go wrong with the price.

As long as you take the time to learn the controls and quirks then it's fairly accessible. Make sure you play with friends.

I doubt I'll be able to back to Arma 2.

Gruso

Hey ArmaGAF,

I'm not sure how many of us actually delve into creating scripts and modules for the game, but it's something that I've been interested in getting into since I started playing the series.

I created a script package that adds a basic simulation for underwater operations. Features include accurate measurements of: air tank size, depth, pressure, air consumption rates and Nitrogen blood levels.

I have not added any consequences for improperly managing your nitrogen levels, but I may do so in the future.

Thoughts and feedback (especially from any divers among us) are appreciated of course.

Download Example Mission

Here is the main script for any interested in poking around: http://pastebin.com/W4zvZxWE

Oh here is what the display looks like:
jbjETFIHAN4hGu.jpg

So, this is very cool. I swam around for miles just watching the dive computer tick over. (In the process I discovered that even underwater, once you cross the map boundary there's nothin' but grass).

The display doesn't sit against the right side of the screen like it does in your screenshot. Possibly because I've got my UI set to Small. I was thinking it might look good sans bezel, and sitting just under the GPS for those running FA_GPS: http://i.imgur.com/RRLNnZMl.jpg

Are you posting updates to any other threads on BI forums, Armaholic etc?

Alright, I'm back in town/at my gaming PC. Time to play this week may be limited, but I'd love to play with y'all sometime. Steam ID: anton_sugar

Jibbed

I'd love a Lite code if anyone has a spare, been playing Arma 2 a lot recently (mostly DayZ and some silly MP) and would like to see how the new game compares.

From what I've heard, the controls/movement are much, much better.

Spat_triate

So, this is very cool. I swam around for miles just watching the dive computer tick over. (In the process I discovered that even underwater, once you cross the map boundary there's nothin' but grass).

The display doesn't sit against the right side of the screen like it does in your screenshot. Possibly because I've got my UI set to Small. I was thinking it might look good sans bezel, and sitting just under the GPS for those running FA_GPS: http://i.imgur.com/RRLNnZMl.jpg

Are you posting updates to any other threads on BI forums, Armaholic etc?

Glad you like it! I've updated the look of dive computer yesterday, making it a little smaller and getting rid of the large bevels. I've also updated the code to run a little faster.

I'll look into making the display fit any resolution/UI size, but it might take a while.

I posted this on the BI forums but after some initial excitement, the thread died down quite a bit. I guess everyone is waiting for updates.

Karak

Shoot I posted this in the performance thread.

Very quick and dirty level creation I recorded. One of the things I wanted to hit on was how easy it is(no knowledge of any scripting needed) to make a basic level that feels different every single time you load it via use of Chance of Presence and Placement Radius only.

I will do more professional ones later that build on using the basic bits to create levels that feel far more professional than they have any right to feel:) More importantly can be fun with repeated play-through.

Quick and Dirty Level Making in the Basic Editor

Also we are taking requests for videos about the editor or just walk-throughs if anyone needs them.

Glad you like it! I've updated the look of dive computer yesterday, making it a little smaller and getting rid of the large bevels. I've also updated the code to run a little faster.

I'll look into making the display fit any resolution/UI size, but it might take a while.

I posted this on the BI forums but after some initial excitement, the thread died down quite a bit. I guess everyone is waiting for updates.
Your script is great but its a bit niche and the underwater levels are new. It will be awhile before something like that really takes off. I do personally wonder about the blood nitrogen mix. That seems odd. Is that something that is normal, like machines can get that on a person's exhale?

My group will most likely use it in creating a level or 2. Especially things like swimming to a oil rig to take down some terrorists and so forth.

You could also adjust it slightly for airdrops that are high enough to require air tanks? Though its functionality would be moot it would look cool to jump from an aircraft and then check it as you fall.

If they add in a mod for tear gas you could also adjust it to allow for players to use gas masks?

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm really enjoying myself, but there seems to be some work to be done.

The vehicle physics engine is complete garbage. Driving is slow and cumbersome, it feels like you're steering a cruiseship. Interaction time is absurd. Bump into a rock and the vehicle is damaged but there's no visual damage model. It shouldn't take 10 seconds to get up or off a quad, especially with locked animations and whatnot. Try ramming a pickup at full speed, it's hilarious.

But still, I'm really liking the Wastelands servers. It's cool to lonewolf, gear up, move around. It's equally cool to randomly encounter teammates and group up. Had some fun and surprisingly tactical engagements.

But again, hud indicators not working is a killer flaw [getting shot in the head by a teammate because I'm not tagged as friendly, stuff like that].

I should look into getting a headset and moving to the Neogaf server.

can somebody pm me the neogaf server password, I entered the one that krappadizzle posted but it said it was incorrect, thanks

edit: got it, thanks guys

Just added the Urban Conquest game-mode to the server as per a request. I've heard it's a ton of fun.

Description from Armaholic
Features:
- A cross between CTI and SCont
- Totally dynamic combat
- CQC oriented with house patrols
- Instant action
- Selectable soldier count, vehicle count, vehicle types, zone size, AI skill, fireteam size, starting time, weather, quick start option...
- Random respawn
- Random soldier type on respawn
- Totally independent AI
- Recruitable AI
- Drive any vehicle
- Portability
- Complete mulitplayer compatibility with up to 32 players
- Dynamic Environment

Aleph

Just added the Urban Conquest game-mode to the server as per a request. I've heard it's a ton of fun.

Yes! I was going to ask you if you could change it to this. I have played it with a friend, it's a lot of fun. The latest version (005) has, I think, around 6 maps, the smallest one being Agia Marina, and the biggest one being the whole island. You can also set weather, AI skill level, vehicule count and other things via parameters.

Spat_triate

Your script is great but its a bit niche and the underwater levels are new. It will be awhile before something like that really takes off. I do personally wonder about the blood nitrogen mix. That seems odd. Is that something that is normal, like machines can get that on a person's exhale?

My group will most likely use it in creating a level or 2. Especially things like swimming to a oil rig to take down some terrorists and so forth.

You could also adjust it slightly for airdrops that are high enough to require air tanks? Though its functionality would be moot it would look cool to jump from an aircraft and then check it as you fall.

If they add in a mod for tear gas you could also adjust it to allow for players to use gas masks?

The nitrogen saturation percentage is derived from calculations of the gas' partial pressure, solubility at pressure, partial volume and total volume in the bloodstream.

These particular calculations are not extraordinarily complicated and I know there are several dive computers that use their own algorithms to warn the diver of dangerous levels and also dynamically recommend decompression safety stops.

I could do the HALO mask and gas mask, but there are already more experienced modders working on that kind of stuff (ACE).

FinKL

The past two nights the server has been empty :( Is there a specific time/meetup?

I played a Hostage Rescue mission the other day. Was pretty interesting. Rounds were 300 seconds each as to not draw out a long ass mission and for the drop in and drop out players.

The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't cycle the Rescuers/Terrorists/Hostages. I ended up playing hostage for 4 rounds picking up terrorists' guns from their dead body and trying to clear the compound myself :D

Jackpot

Banned
Extracted a list of units from the Alpha:

=Weapons=

M200 LMG
P07 (pistol)
MK26 (revolver)
Rook 40 (pistol)
PDW2000 (pistol)
P99 (pistol)
Rhino (revolver)
ACPC2 (pistol)
Herstal 45 Tactical (pistol, almost certainly FNP-45)
Flaregun
Tripwire flare (in the mines folder)
MK16 (very few references)
MK17 (very few references)
MK20
MX
MX LMG
MX DMR
MX CQC
TRG 20
Titan launcher
RPG-32
NLAW
M26 explosives
IED
Scorpion
SDAR
Keltec KSG
M14 EBR
Khaybar
Cheytac M200 (called the M320 ingame)
AA-40 (shotgun)
Vector
M4 SSAS (shotgun)
Lynx GM6
AK-107 (very few references)
MM-1 (very few references)
M67 grenade
M18 smoke
PDM-1M mine
PMR-3 mine

=Wheeled=

Hunter
Hunter CROWS
Hunter RCWS
Hunter riot police
Vodnik
Crusher UGV
Civilian car
Civilian sports car
Galkin
Offroad civilian
Offroad port authority
Offroad police
Offroad armed
Strider
Strider RCWS
HEMTT
HEMTT cargo
Truck civilian
Truck heavy
Truck heavy fuel
SUV
Quadbike
Quadbike civilian
Tractor
Kamaz truck

=Armor=

Tunguska
Panther
Panther CRV
Panther AA
T-100K
T-100M
AMV
AMV amos
AMV acrv
AMW
AMW Medevac
MLRS
BTR-90
BMP-5
Slammer Mk4
Slammer M2A1
Scorcher M4 (Slammer variant)
Pandur 2

=Sea=

Speedboat
Speedboat with minigun
Speedboat with CROWS
Assault boat
Civilian boat
Civilian boat police
Civilian boat rescue
Fishing boat 1
Fishing boat 2
SDV
Astute-class Submarine
Trawler 1
Trawler 2

=Air=

CH49 Merlin
L159
Mi-48
F35-f
C130j
MH9
AH9
RAH-66
Ka-60
Ka-60 with rockets
UAV small drone
MQ-4A Reaper
Parachute

=Animals=

Chicken
Dog
Fish (including a catshark)
Goat
Seagull
Sheep
Turtle
Dragonfly
Honey bee
Rabbit
Mosquito
Kestrel
Firefly
Snake
Butterfly

Aleph

Does anyone know what the best ARMA 3 online community is? Right now I'm using this thread and the ARMA/ARMA3 subreddits... the BIS forums are filled with bad suggestions/complaints (the General section, at least), and Armaholic doesn't seem to be very active (unless I checked the wrong sections).

Extracted a list of units from the Alpha:

This would be the unit list for the final game, right? Quite impressive.

Does anyone know what the best ARMA 3 online community is? Right now I'm using this thread and the ARMA/ARMA3 subreddits... the BIS forums are filled with bad suggestions/complaints (the General section, at least), and Armaholic doesn't seem to be very active (unless I checked the wrong sections).

Most likely ShackTac but I think they keep to themselves.

Karak

Honestly, as a member of all of them, I still think Gaf does a great job and can usually steer you to the right thing. Are you just looking for news or specific things?

ShackTac is the undisputed best Arma community but they are very insular, we have a pretty good thing going with the GAF group that is in the process of building up to something more significant feel free to come play with us.

Top Bottom