• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Alpha - March 5th - 25 Euros

How do you have fun in this game. I played a bit and

28724065.jpg

Join us on mumble and we can run you through how to effectively play the game.

Quote for Mumble server info

FireRises

anyone have an arma alpha lite pass? I messaged krappadizzle yesterday but I think he's been away or something. I just want to see how it runs on my machine before buying the alpha (running a Q9550 with a 660ti).

add me:
Steam profile

SJRB

Gold Member
anyone have an arma alpha lite pass? I messaged krappadizzle yesterday but I think he's been away or something. I just want to see how it runs on my machine before buying the alpha (running a Q9550 with a 660ti).

add me:
Steam profile

I have one left, I'll send it to you in a few hours when I get home from work.

SJRB

Gold Member
thanks man I really appreciate it.

I sent you a pm here on GAF with additional information.

On a totally unrelated note - can anyone tell me what the default key for walking is? Not the combat walk, but the casual "weapons down I'm on patrol" stroll.

Xyber

On a totally unrelated note - can anyone tell me what the default key for walking is? Not the combat walk, but the casual "weapons down I'm on patrol" stroll.

Hold W and press S. Same thing to return to normal speed.

FireRises

Thanks again SJRB, you rock! I'm downloading it now to see how it runs on my system. If I end up buying the alpha I'll give out my lite codes here.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hold W and press S. Same thing to return to normal speed.

Thanks.

Thanks again SJRB, you rock! I'm downloading it now to see how it runs on my system. If I end up buying the alpha I'll give out my lite codes here.

No problem man!

Any noticeable performance increases or stability?

Performance has completely tanked in forest areas since the update. Framerate drops to the single digits the second I walk into a forest area. Not sure what's going on but it's rather alarming since the game is kind of unplayable for me at the moment.

FireRises

My OC'd Q9550 and 660Ti only net me about ~30 fps on very high (mix, killed the clouds/shadows to normal) settings at 1080p. It seems playable at 30 but maybe my new machine in the summer can handle this a bit better.

I take it arma series is cpu intensive because of the draw distance?

My OC'd Q9550 and 660Ti only net me about ~30 fps on very high (mix, killed the clouds/shadows to normal) settings at 1080p. It seems playable at 30 but maybe my new machine in the summer can handle this a bit better.

I take it arma series is cpu intensive because of the draw distance?

Set draw distance to 1600 or less. Big impact, but yes, the game is heavily CPU dependent, unfortunately. Even worse, it doesn't utilize quad cores. GPU's are regularly around 30-50% utilized.

FireRises

Set draw distance to 1600 or less. Big impact, but yes, the game is heavily CPU dependent, unfortunately. Even worse, it doesn't utilize quad cores. GPU's are regularly around 30-50% utilized.

wow really? Is it just for alpha or does the engine not recognize multiple cores... that seems terrible. I'll try limiting the draw distance to see if that helps, thanks.

That's been my absolute favorite thing about this game. The modding folks, they are amazing.

Oh yeah and it made that whole BF3 comment ("modding tools too complex") sting even harder.

wow really? Is it just for alpha or does the engine not recognize multiple cores... that seems terrible. I'll try limiting the draw distance to see if that helps, thanks.

This has always been a problem with the Arma series. We're deeply hoping they're dedicating a lot of resources on sorting it out.

SJRB

Gold Member
Alright, my huge framerate drops were caused by the Nvidea 314.22 patch that rolled out today. Once I re-installed the 314.07 patch everything was fine again.

Server stability and lag does seem improved, especially now that vehicles are back. So I guess this update really was a big step in the right direction.

Gruso

Just so you don't have the wrong impression, the engine does support multiple cores. Whether it makes use of them is another issue. Under-utilisation of CPU and GPU form one of the most voted issues in the bug tracker right now.

[edit] http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=716

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ok, as i usually do, I just jump in. I was messing with lite but now I just went and bought the game. When do people usually get on?

edit: first time on the full game and I beat the infantry showcase lol

I'll try that out. Most coop games turn out horrible if there isn't a competent helicopter pilot.

I can park a heli just about anywhere now but the map is what's giving me the biggest headache at the moment and when someone just yells out a location and I'm expected to know instantly where the hell that is exactly is freaking stressful. lol

Aleph

I can park a heli just about anywhere now but the map is what's giving me the biggest headache at the moment and when someone just yells out a location and I'm expected to know instantly where the hell that is exactly is freaking stressful. lol

Bind the compass and GPS to more easy to reach buttons (I think the compass is K by default), they can help you a lot when navigating terrain.

The AW stratis domination servers are getting hit with hackers. A shame. Those maps are fun.

And I find that I'm rushing in too much. Can't rambo at all in this game. haha

fleck0

The AW stratis domination servers are getting hit with hackers. A shame. Those maps are fun.

And I find that I'm rushing in too much. Can't rambo at all in this game. haha

I encountered (one guy) hacking in a Domination server as well. Which is a shame because that's secretly the best map currently running.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Starting to enjoy myself as I understand the controls a bit more. It still is tough in multilayer though. Pretty much every game I enter I am at a loss to what we are actually supposed to be doing.

Also I have seen people use the editor in kind of a free roam mode, kind of lime forge. How do you do that? I can only get the editor in map mode.

NH Apache

Banned
Speaking of the editor, is there a way to stack objects vertically upon each other?

Been getting into the editor a bit lately and having fun setting up situations. Last one was me with a 7.62 scoped versus 25 special forces dudes. I've noticed the special forces dudes engage at a longer distance than the regular rifleman groups.

Starting to enjoy myself as I understand the controls a bit more. It still is tough in multilayer though. Pretty much every game I enter I am at a loss to what we are actually supposed to be doing.

Also I have seen people use the editor in kind of a free roam mode, kind of lime forge. How do you do that? I can only get the editor in map mode.

Most coop games are seek and destroy in a marked area on the map. Have you tried out the rob gaming domination server? Great server with alot of helpful people.

NH Apache

Banned
Yep, Armory won't work for me. I either get the Galkin error and when I try to fix it, it just crashes.
I have the same issue. Fixed the galkin error and then I get force closed. My guess is that the mods/missions have to be updated because of the last update.

FireRises

did anyone purchase the supporter edition? If you're a huge fan I could see it but it seems dicey, especially this part:

All future Arma 3 DLCs
If any, does not apply to standalone expansions or sequels.

I think I'll just end up buying the regular edition at $32

did anyone purchase the supporter edition? If you're a huge fan I could see it but it seems dicey, especially this part:

All future Arma 3 DLCs
If any, does not apply to standalone expansions or sequels.

I think I'll just end up buying the regular edition at $32

I don't think you have to worry about that. There were 3 solid DLC packs for Arma 2, and only one expansion (OA), I think.

Top Bottom