• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 3 Announced

Sethos

Banned
Video showcase of the secondary smaller island, Stratis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0untAgEncI

Arma3_screenshot_stratis_1204_06.jpg

Arma3_screenshot_stratis_1204_02.jpg

Arma3_screenshot_stratis_1204_03.jpg

Info on Stratis: http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/stratis/

Dibbz

Oh man game looks so good. I just finished up Harvest Red and EW in Arma 2. Need some more Arma but I'm scared the system reqs will be crazy for Arma 3.

gabbo

Thw video and caps looks amazing, and it gets me more hyped for the game.
I should go back and try to get past the section of Arma2 I'm stuck on (admittedly early).

Dibbz

Thw video and caps looks amazing, and it gets me more hyped for the game.
I should go back and try to get past the section of Arma2 I'm stuck on (admittedly early).

Which part?

One thing I loved about Arma 2 was you could fail certain mission but still progress the campaign.

I am eagerly awaiting ArmA III

My only problem with the ArmA series has been my inability to get their game engine running smoothly on my system no matter what settings I choose.

I just pray for a game that runs as smoothly for me as BF3 does.

gabbo

Which part?

One thing I loved about Arma 2 was you could fail certain mission but still progress the campaign.

I don't remember the mission name, but you start out on a roof talking with your commanding officer and then have to save a group of soldiers under fire in the remains of a town.

Karak

Love the Arma series and still play the games 1-3 times a week. Can not wait until 3.

Is this a new engine though? Because above all else I wish they would get much of their tech up to snuff.

For anyone who has already posted in this thread and lives in the U.S. I have a physical retail copy of Arma 2: Combined Operations that I'm giving away. It has the two DVD's, serials, two manuals, case and quick reference card. First poster that quotes this will receive it.

I'll think I'll wait for Arma 3 or get Arma 2 Combined Ops with the two other expansion on Steam later on.

For anyone who has already posted in this thread and lives in the U.S. I have a physical retail copy of Arma 2: Combined Operations that I'm giving away. It has the two DVD's, serials, two manuals, case and quick reference card. First poster that quotes this will receive it.

I'll think I'll wait for Arma 3 or get Arma 2 Combined Ops with the two other expansion on Steam later on.

Me me me!

Fake edit: fucking 60 second cooldown before replies almost gave me a heart attack. Got a friend who would love this.

Real edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dibbz

I don't remember the mission name, but you start out on a roof talking with your commanding officer and then have to save a group of soldiers under fire in the remains of a town.

Yeah I know which mission that is. I failed the task and still carried on. If you don't get to the squad under fire in time or don't kill the sniper they all die and the game lets you go on with the mission.

He is somewhere near a large factory.

gabbo

Yeah I know which mission that is. I failed the task and still carried on. If you don't get to the squad under fire in time or don't kill the sniper they all die and the game lets you go on with the mission.

He is somewhere near a large factory.

It was more about me and my team getting mowed down trying to push into the area, but i'll keep this in mind

Aselith

Did they always have that underwater stuff? I didn't play much of Arma 2 but fighting a big battle out in the ocean underwater in scuba gear would be fucking pimpin in multiplayer.

Foffy

Banned
Really? I hope you got it used or something. If you got it new, why not just pay the ~100 extra and get the next gen card?

I didn't have that much to spend. Maybe later in the year. I was already told that the card I have is already OP for me (for starters, I play at 1360 x 768, so I don't really need a card to play at super duper ultra settings), and I know the card passes the pure minimum requirements for ArmA III. I'm able to run Take on Helicopters at full 60 fps on very high, so maybe there's some hope for this.

DTKT

I didn't have that much to spend. Maybe later in the year. I was already told that the card I have is already OP for me (for starters, I play at 1360 x 768, so I don't really need a card to play at super duper ultra settings), and I know the card passes the pure minimum requirements for ArmA III. I'm able to run Take on Helicopters at full 60 fps on very high, so maybe there's some hope for this.

I hope you plan on buying a new monitor ;P

mbmonk

The relatively crappy voice acting in Arma 1 and 2 have always pulled me out of the experience. It seems like this trend continues with A3 sadly. I think there are some community mods that help with this issue of A2. I need to check them out.

Sethos

Banned
The relatively crappy voice acting in Arma 1 and 2 have always pulled me out of the experience. It seems like this trend continues with A3 sadly. I think there are some community mods that help with this issue of A2. I need to check them out.

Shouldn't even be a priority.

Piggus

For how immersive the game aims to be, the voice acting and how it "blends" so to speak is reeeaaaallly shoddy and downright hilarious at times. Especially the training mode in ARMA II. It's like they were TRYING to make it sound awful. I still love Arma but they really need to make the dialogue sound more realistic considering how realistic everything else is.

Agreed totally, and I'm not even a huge ARMA player (not yet, but after DayZ and more time with ARMA 2 that's changed.) It's an amazing military sim, should be focused on that.

The new lighting looks fantastic, absolutely. Night-time especially, and that footage of the armored vehicle shooting the guns, fantastic.

Can't wait!

Sethos

Banned
For how immersive the game aims to be, the voice acting and how it "blends" so to speak is reeeaaaallly shoddy and downright hilarious at times. Especially the training mode in ARMA II. It's like they were TRYING to make it sound awful. I still love Arma but they really need to make the dialogue sound more realistic considering how realistic everything else is.

Because people always complain about it in the sense of campaigns, tutorials and small official missions - Who gives a toss. That's not even a main part of the game, that is just filler to get some more casual gamers in, all that crap. A majority of the scenarios played by the core users of ArmA is TvT based online scenarios, custom co-op scenarios with no voice, clan based milsim scenarios. Creating voice that is able to sound natural when it comes to the amount they need to say is a huuge tasks and why it hasn't been a priority before - It shouldn't detract resources from what really matters. Sure they can improve the AI based reports when they see something, but it still shouldn't be a priority given how big a task it is.

The main replay value lies in mods where voice is usually done by the modder or often, not at all - Also in the custom missions which also features little to no voice at all besides AI call-outs. I had voices turned all the way down for years in ArmA / ArmA 2 and you quickly realize you don't even need them.

Voice acting in campaigns and missions is a bottom rank priority.

There's about a thousand other thing in the RV engine that requires priority over something like voice acting.

Arma is a multiplayer game first and foremost, the reason voice isn't a problem is because it's going to be a friend or clan member's voice you hear not the AI's.

http://youtu.be/BXOOsTCAPp8?hd=1

Jackpot

Banned
That's not even a main part of the game, that is just filler to get some more casual gamers in, all that crap. A majority of the scenarios played by the core users of ArmA is TvT based online scenarios, custom co-op scenarios with no voice, clan based milsim scenarios.

Arma is a multiplayer game first and foremost, the reason voice isn't a problem is because it's going to be a friend or clan member's voice you hear not the AI's.

http://youtu.be/BXOOsTCAPp8?hd=1

Bullshit. Just because you prefer MP doesn't mean you have make stuff up. SP is just as important as MP. All the PR exclusively covers the singleplayer.

Sethos

Banned
Bullshit. Just because you prefer MP doesn't mean you have make stuff up. SP is just as important as MP. All the PR exclusively covers the singleplayer.

Yeah, just like Call of Duty isn't about multiplayer. Single-Player is a great PR flag but you'd have to be delusional if you think ArmA is a Single-player experience first and foremost. It's a huge milsim sandbox that has a strong core group that cares about the MP aspect, not about some shitty voice acting. Developers and publishers always want to push SP aspects despite being a smaller focus piece, it sells games and is easier to show off but it isn't what makes people stick around, thus it's less important in the long run.

It's not exactly easy showing off an MP scenario at every press event or in every video, as MP games have a habit of being extremely inconsistent and not really show off the developer vision.

Jackpot

Banned
Yeah, just like Call of Duty isn't about multiplayer. Single-Player is a great PR flag but you'd have to be delusional if you think ArmA is a Single-player experience first and foremost. It's a huge milsim sandbox that has a strong core group that cares about the MP aspect, not about some shitty voice acting. Developers and publishers always want to push SP aspects despite being a smaller focus piece, it sells games and is easier to show off but it isn't what makes people stick around, thus it's less important in the long run.

It's not exactly easy showing off an MP scenario at every press event or in every video, as MP games have a habit of being extremely inconsistent and not really show off the developer vision.

Maybe if they didn't advertise the SP, make patches for the SP, and then make expansion packs containing SP content or if critics were to treat SP in reviews like they do other MP focused games you might have a point. Wishing doesn't make it so, so quit making excuses for any quality issues with the SP content.

Top Bottom