• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armed Robber Goes Down In Blaze of Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Ridli said:
Those pictures are surreal. Still, that's what you're going to die for? Damn shame.

Yeah, it's weird seeing. You'd have to wonder what was going through his mind at that every moment. Probably wanted to die.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
35lhips.jpg

:lol :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
noticed this, he was so badass enough, that on his exit from his vehicle, he had to close the door one handed, while keeping the popo's at bay with his Nine. Truly a wonderful citizen.

Timbuktu

Did the guy with the camera outspeed the police and the robber, or did he just know when the guy would stop? Props to him in any case

Timbuktu said:
Did the guy with the camera outspeed the police and the robber, or did he just know when the guy would stop? Props to him in any case
Yeah how the fuck were these shots taken, anyway?

Smiling Bandit said:
Honestly though, is it really that hard to shoot someone in the leg instead of the torso? The police almost always seems to get for the instant kill instead of only disabling the suspects.

Legs are harder to hit and still have arteries in them.

GhaleonEB

The pics are awesome, but I'm kind of uncomfortable with the 'shops given the dude was just shot to death.

I still laughed, of course, but now I feel kind of creeped out.

Smiling Bandit said:
Honestly though, is it really that hard to shoot someone in the leg instead of the torso? The police almost always seems to get for the instant kill instead of only disabling the suspects.

There is no "shoot to wound" policy because the logic behind it is patently absurd. If the police had shot his legs, nothing would have prevented him from retaliating with the firearm that he possessed.

When you shoot, you shoot to kill.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
so...

someone said to me "thats bogus. you really think hes running with a cigg in his mouth?"

and then i said "not everyone on the internet is fake" and linked them to foxnews and msnbc which are covering the story with these pictures.

:lol

i think they read the photobucket URL and felt compelled to be right

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WickedAngel said:
There is no "shoot to wound" policy because the logic behind it is patently absurd. If the police had shot his legs, nothing would have prevented him from retaliating with the firearm that he possessed.

When you shoot, you shoot to kill.
Shoot to stop, really. Killing is a side effect. Which is why they use hollow tips and aim for center of mass.

aoi tsuki

The Lamonster said:
Yeah how the fuck were these shots taken, anyway?
All serious photojournalists carry police and emergency band radios. They know where the action is. There's very, very little luck involved here, aside from the fact that the suspect didn't start firing at the photojournalist.

Smiling Bandit said:
rob4.jpg

Dr. Bill Lewinski, executive director of the Force Science Research Center at Minnesota State University:

"In reality, most deadly encounters unfold very rapidly and very dramatically. Shooting to wound is rarely an option. Given the training most officers have, they are lucky to put bullets into center mass without trying to hit limbs that can be moved faster and more radically than larger parts of the body.

"When I encounter civilian response to officer-involved shootings, it's very often 'Why didn't they just shoot him in the leg?'" says Lewinski. "When civilians judge police shooting deaths--on juries, on review boards, in the media, in the community--this same argument is often brought forward. Shooting to wound is naively regarded as a reasonable means of stopping dangerous behavior.

"In reality, this thinking is a result of 'training by Hollywood,' in which movie and TV cops are able to do anything to control the outcomes of events that serves the director's dramatic interests. It reflects a misconception of real-life dynamics and ends up imposing unrealistic expectations of skill on real-life officers."

"Hands and arms can be the fastest-moving body parts. For example, an average suspect can move his hand and forearm across his body to a 90-degree angle in 12/100 of a second. He can move his hand from his hip to shoulder height in 18/100 of a second.

"The average officer pulling the trigger as fast as he can on a Glock, one of the fastest-cycling semiautos, requires 1/4 second to discharge each round."

"There is no way an officer can react, track, shoot and reliably hit a threatening suspect's forearm or a weapon in a suspect's hand in the time spans involved."

"Even if the suspect held his weapon arm steady for half a second or more, an accurate hit would be highly unlikely, and in police shootings the suspect and his weapon are seldom stationary. Plus, the officer himself may be moving as he shoots."

"Legs tend initially to move slower than arms and to maintain more static positions. However, areas of the lower trunk and upper thigh are rich with vascularity. A suspect who's hit there can bleed out in seconds if one of the major arteries is severed, so again shooting just to wound may not result in just wounding.

"On the other hand, if an officer manages to take a suspect's legs out non-fatally, that still leaves the offender's hands free to shoot. His ability to threaten lives hasn't necessarily been stopped."

JB1981

No cop is ever trained to take a non-lethal shot. If they decide to shoot - it's to kill and nothing else. Non-lethal shots are a pure Hollywood fabrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom