• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core 5 releases in NA on March 20th

sorry guys it's 3 in the morning here and I'm going to sleep...will reupload part3 of the 360 demo tommorow...
http://hotfile.com/dl/143272966/6d34...part1.rar.html
http://depositfiles.com/files/n4046ue8r
http://www.sendspace.com/file/v295pa
http://www.wupload.com/file/26506356...0GAF.part4.rar
pass:HitoribhoshiGaf
Any pointers on getting this stitched together on a Mac? I'd like to give this a whirl.

thanks

haven't use a Mac for some time but I guess you should be able to work it out with UnRarX.

as for running the demo, I assumed since ppl were asking for it it was know how to run them, because I never tried, so I'm not sure how it goes.

From what I gather, you either have to burn it on a disc (not sure about the right folder tree or the format (ISO/Joliet/UDF etc)

OR, you can format a usb key on your xbox or somehow plug you 360 harddisc via sata or a 360 adapter on your computer then use Horizon/xtaf/Party Buffalo Drive Explorer(on win7 : right click "run as admin") to inject the folders/file in there. (not sure about softwares to do that on MacOSX, you can probably use USB Storage Xplorer - Xtaf, but you need to install Mono prior to that)

Bebpo

Banned
How did Chromehounds run? I seemed to remember it being fairly smooth, then came AC4 and the framerates went to hell.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How did Chromehounds run? I seemed to remember it being fairly smooth, then came AC4 and the framerates went to hell.
60 fps with slowdown.

Chromehounds looked absolutely awful, though. AC4 ran poorly (though its base framerate was also 60 fps) but was a massive graphical leap forward. It's a shame that, after three installments, they've still failed to deliver a smooth, consistent framerate.

Tain

Sucks to hear about performance. Guess I'm stuck waiting for that demo to go Silver!

edit: or I could just read the thread and try this download, lol.

GrayFoxPL

AC always been about sitting in a garage for as long as you figured out how to implement double chainguns on arms and most powerful missile launchers on shoulders without crossing the weight or power output bar.

Then "playing the game" was all about holding the fire buttons until words "Mission Complete" appeared.

Who needs framerate in AC? ;P

just tried to re-extract the archives I uploded by copy/pasting that password posted here and it worked fine so I'm not sure what to tell you, really :\

anybody else having the same problem?

60 fps with slowdown.

Chromehounds looked absolutely awful, though. AC4 ran poorly (though its base framerate was also 60 fps) but was a massive graphical leap forward. It's a shame that, after three installments, they've still failed to deliver a smooth, consistent framerate.

I would not say Chromehounds looked awful. When you had all the mechs in close proximity launching missles and stepping on buildings it looks pretty amazing. They had to account for this most extreme scenario when doing the art.

oh god, I uped part 2 twice... (I shouldn't have done that at 3 then again when I woke up :\)

will be back in an hour with part3, very sorry about that.
(wished megaupload was still around or multiupload didn't freeze on me ...)
(I could have uploaded it to usenet instead but I guessed less ppl use that compared to filesharing sites)

Boogdud

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Looks like the PS3 version has the bad end of the issues actually.

In either case, this is pretty disappointing. Since I doubt From will do anything about it before launch (and well after the game is dead online).

He's talking Dark Souls, dude.

Tain

Awesome, thanks! We'll see if this works.

It works! Thanks again, Hitoribhoshi.

This game is weird as fuck. The plusses are fat mechs jumping all over the place and a pretty neat control scheme. The downsides are the messy visuals, poor performance, and overall feeling of "hey this kinda seems like an evolution of that shitty Metal Wolf Chaos game". I really don't know how I feel about this.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Crazy how a late-generation game has framerate issues.

Unoptimized engine. Compare single-platform with hardware maker support (Demon's Souls) to multiplatform with no support from either hardware maker (Dark Souls)

It works! Thanks again, Hitoribhoshi.

This game is weird as fuck. The plusses are fat mechs jumping all over the place and a pretty neat control scheme. The downsides are the messy visuals, poor performance, and overall feeling of "hey this kinda seems like an evolution of that shitty Metal Wolf Chaos game". I really don't know how I feel about this.

No prob', glad you got it to work! (did you use a usb drive+xtaf or burned a dvd?)

yeah, I kinda had those evolved Metal Wolf Chaos mixed feelings too :\

dark10x

Crazy how a late-generation game has framerate issues.
Not really. The two worst examples of poor framerates last generation both hit in 2004-2005. Killzone for PS2 and Advent Rising for XBOX. They were incredibly choppy games nearly spoiled by their performance problems.

Heck, looking at PS2 as a whole, the average framerate in late generation games was typically lower than the first two or three years of software (60 fps was the norm initially). Once developers started trying to implement 480p and eliminate "teh jaggies", framerates dropped.

Good grief. That almost looks like an upres'd PS2 game.
That's just silly.

armored-core-5-36.jpg

NexusReplay3_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg

purg3

slept with Malkin
Any word on how old the demo build is? All the negative impressions suck, but I still have it reserved as of now.

Just want to reiterate, the demo is terrible. As in a how could the developers even think it was presentable type of terribleness.

It would be the most amazing turnaround in videogame history if the final product is actually decent.

Boogdud

Yeah, they are seriously atrocious. The game LOOKS nice but moves like absolute shit. Terrible animation and a low, unsteady framerate make for a very poor experience.

It's strange how bad some of those animations look. The animations have really taken a step back even from 4 and 4A. I realize they're supposed to be slower and more lumbering, but they really did not pull it off at all. They come off looking squat, awkward and clumsy. I was hoping we'd see something along the lines of Tekki, just a bit faster.

Didn't From actually push this title back a couple times to work out the issues?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
The only AC game I've ever played is the demo for the first one on a PS1 underground demo CD.

These impressions really don't make me want to jump in with this installment.

haha I remember that CD, I had it and play AC with those 2 mechs pretty often. Changed the colors a bit too :D

Mupod

Thanks for the 360 demo upload, Hitoribhoshi.

I like the new control scheme, especially the ability to switch weapons without having to throw them away. Before playing I messed around in the garage a bit, I put a blade on my AC and was impressed by how badass it looked and felt. It was the second blade on the list, when you use it it's like a huge red sword of death. It definitely made short work of the enemy AC you run into.

Only thing is I'm not sure how to quick turn like in For Answer, or if you even can. Not a big deal when you're fighting immobile tanks but against a real enemy it's pretty much a necessity.

Framerate in the second mission was a little spotty, playing on the 360. But it was playable and the level was MUCH 'busier' than anything in previous games.

Also I personally don't see the point of complaining about walking animations in a game where all you do is slide around most of the time, but it did look a little janky.

Tain

Yeah, the walking is nasty, but it's not a huge deal. You'll spend more time dashing, climbing up buildings, and rocketing from wall to wall.

The overall drop in speed seems like it does more harm than good, though. I don't see anything in place to add complexity and try to make up for it.

I like the new control scheme, especially the ability to switch weapons without having to throw them away. Before playing I messed around in the garage a bit, I put a blade on my AC and was impressed by how badass it looked and felt. It was the second blade on the list, when you use it it's like a huge red sword of death. It definitely made short work of the enemy AC you run into.

Only thing is I'm not sure how to quick turn like in For Answer, or if you even can. Not a big deal when you're fighting immobile tanks but against a real enemy it's pretty much a necessity.

Framerate in the second mission was a little spotty, playing on the 360. But it was playable and the level was MUCH 'busier' than anything in previous games.

Also I personally don't see the point of complaining about walking animations in a game where all you do is slide around most of the time, but it did look a little janky.
Quite the understatement.

Gattsu25

Banned
You guys do realize that demos are often not based on final versions of the game, right?
I'm sure they have tons of time to smooth out the game from when that build was made. At the same time, surely the walking animation in AC4 were better. Why not use that as a placeholder?

geebee

Banned
Seriously?

The game is developed by From Software.

All those late me2 "scamco" trolls are getting annoying.
I agree this is obviously From's game. But really, the complaints about the framerate and some animations are valid. However, I think people should wait before making a final judgement until seeing other gameplay footage.

Were all areas in Dark Souls as bad as Blight Town in terms of framerate? Of course not.

Seriously?

The game is developed by From Software.

All those late me2 "scamco" trolls are getting annoying.
But Namco Bandai is the devil. :( The devil!

In all seriousness, it can't be denied that they are a factor. As to how big of a factor they are, it's hard to determine.

geebee

Banned

In all seriousness, it can't be denied that they are a factor. As to how big of a factor they are, it's hard to determine.

How so? Are you insinuating they have a direct impact on gameplay? Yeah, that Dark Souls did turn out pretty shitty with loads of DLC..

This is a demo of an unfinished game. Can you really blame the publisher for performance issues? From Software has had plenty of time with this project especially when you take into account that the game was originally intended to be released near the middle of last year.

glad you like it !

You guys do realize that demos are often not based on final versions of the game, right?
that being said, the full game is out since yesderday on the Internet. (that being said, I canceled my us preorder for now(that was kinda dumb to preorder in the 1st place sice I have a jp system and will wait to see if the us version is NTSC-J compatible, or if there's an english asian version), and will wait for comment about a potential patch from from software)

dark10x

I don't think Namco had anything to do with this. This one is on From Software.

Top Bottom